Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,997 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery (1236 Views)

You Are Unique: 5 Ways To Build 'what' Will Differentiate You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery by AdeniyiA(m): 3:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
over to you NL intellectuals.
let's educate and enlighten ourselves
Re: How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 25, 2013
COMPLIMENT
noun [kómpləmənt] (plural com·pli·ments)
1. statement of praise: something said to express praise or approval
2. gesture of respect or honor: something done to show respect or honor

FLATTERY
noun
1. paying of compliments to win favor: an act or instance of complimenting somebody, often excessively or insincerely, especially in order to gain an advantage
2. compliments: complimentary remarks, especially when excessive or insincere

smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
fellis: COMPLIMENT
noun [kómpləmənt] (plural com·pli·ments)
1. statement of praise: something said to express praise or approval
2. gesture of respect or honor: something done to show respect or honor

FLATTERY
noun
1. paying of compliments to win favor: an act or instance of complimenting somebody, often excessively or insincerely, especially in order to gain an advantage
2. compliments: complimentary remarks, especially when excessive or insincere

smiley smiley smiley

Lol. As the saying goes, no idea is original. Immediately I saw the topic, my first thought was to refer the OP to the respective definitions of 'compliment' and 'flattery'. You stole my thunder.

Accordingly, any 'compliment' from a person that wants something from you is essentially flattery, no matter how you look at it. However, people want something from us all the time, just as we all want one thing or the other from other people all the time. So flattery and compliments go hand in hand. We all compliment others to the same degree that we all flatter others. Everything depends on circumstance, perception, and motive.
Re: How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery by AdeniyiA(m): 10:51pm On Jan 25, 2013
the meanings of the two words are well known by me.
The poser is knowing when am truly being complimented or being flattered.
how can you avoid taking one for the other...
Re: How Can You Differentiate Between A Compliment And A Flattery by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 26, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
the meanings of the two words are well known by me.
The poser is knowing when am truly being complimented or being flattered.
how can you avoid taking one for the other...

Use your mind reading skills to know what the intention of the person is.

(1) (Reply)

Prof Chinua Achebe's Facts And Quotes / These Foolish Things / A Touching Story From A Taxi Driver You'll Never Forget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.