Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID (24859 Views)

Zenith Bank Charged Me This For A 5Dollar Transaction *pix Attached**** / GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking / Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
Is he right to have paid N10,000 bribe to receive WU without correct ID?

I sent $1,000 to my brother this morning while he was at the bank. To my surprise, they refused to release the money to him except he agrees to pay them 10,000 naira bribe because his driver's license expired 10th February, 2013. He also had his voters' I.D card and national card with him. They refused any other I.D ecxept drivers' license. What kind of corrupt country is this? When is this country going to start to do the right thing? How something like this should be happening?
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by tomakint: 3:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
payless: I sent $1,000 to my brother this morning while he was at the bank. To my surprise, they refused to release the money to him except he agree to pay them 10,000 naira bribe because his driver's license expired 10th February, 2013. He also had his voters' I.D card and national card with him. They refused any other I.D ecxept drivers' license. What kind of corrupt country is this? When is this country going to start to do the right thing? How something like this should be happening?
If this is true, you should take them up on this, report your case to the superior of the 'bank official' who demanded such from you, that is errant nonsense, it shouldn't be! angry

2 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Alamutatalo: 4:22pm On Feb 21, 2013
The name of the bank and the branch please.When did banks stop accepting National ID for identification?
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by coogar: 4:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
payless: I sent $1,000 to my brother this morning while he was at the bank. To my surprise, they refused to release the money to him except he agree to pay them 10,000 naira bribe because his driver's license expired 10th February, 2013. He also had his voters' I.D card and national card with him. They refused any other I.D ecxept drivers' license. What kind of corrupt country is this? When is this country going to start to do the right thing? How something like this should be happening?

your brother should take his international passport to the bank. national IDs are invalid in nigeria - too many of them around and bank officials don't know which is which. without a passport or driver's license, your brother has no case.

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by superior1: 4:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
coogar:

your brother should take his international passport to the bank. national IDs are invalid in nigeria - too many of them around and bank officials don't know which is which. without a passport or driver's license, your brother has no case.

That is not true, used to work in a bank and i know all National cards including voters card are acceptable as a standard means of identification in line with CBN directive.
@OP, are u sure your bro isn't trying to play a fast-one?, no Banker not even outsourced go try that kin thing, your bro should demand to see the head of operations or branch manger.

18 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
I have just asked him to get International Passport for future purposes. He said UBA, Dopemu. I even called to speak with these people and were adamant on seeing his driver's license which he had on him with voters' car and national I.D but they asked him to go and renew his drivers' license. The license only expired last week. This is a very crazy nation.

They released the money with 10,000 naira bribe.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
superior1:

That is not true, used to work in a bank and i know all National cards including voters card are acceptable as a standard means of identification in line with CBN directive.
@OP, are u sure your bro isn't trying to play a fast-one?, no Banker even outsourced go try that kin thing, your bro should demand to see the head of operations or branch manger.

He did not play a fast one on me. He called me to even speak to those people. If not for the urgency of the money, I would just cancel the transaction from here.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2013
Alamutatalo: The name of the bank and the branch please.When did banks stop accepting National ID for identification?

UBA Dopemu, Lagos.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by coogar: 4:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
superior1:

@OP, are u sure your bro isn't trying to play a fast-one?, no Banker even outsourced go try that kin thing, your bro should demand to see the head of operations or branch manger.

things might have the changed especially with the scourge of yahoo boys. anyone can make any national ID card with any name and claim MTCN. banks have a duty to protect themselves from fraudsters.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 21, 2013
UBA is fond of such,they will deny you of your money even if you are bleeding to death as long as they find a little flaw.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by spenca: 7:30pm On Feb 21, 2013
payless: I have just asked him to get International Passport for future purposes. He said UBA, Dopemu. I even called to speak with these people and were adamant on seeing his driver's license which he had on him with voters' car and national I.D but they asked him to go and renew his drivers' license. The license only expired last week. This is a very crazy nation.

I think your brother is part of the problem of the country seriously , why encourage them , he just did by giving that money out , and he is as accountable as the bank officials ...well as socrates would say knowledge is virtue

10 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
spenca:
I think your brother is part of the problem of the country seriously , why encourage them , he just did by giving that money out , and he is as accountable as the bank officials ...well as socrates would say knowledge is virtue

Truth!

2 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by scarred: 8:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
This is not news, neither is it new. The same thing happened to me and we were able to come to an amicable solution. He just wanted me to give him something so I could collect my money and I obliged...I gave him a slap and I got my money.

9 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by tellwisdom: 8:21pm On Feb 21, 2013
scarred: This is not news, neither is it new. The same thing happened to me and we were able to come to an amicable solution. He just wanted me to give him something so I could collect my money and I obliged...I gave him a slap and I got my money.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Rilikoko(m): 8:55pm On Feb 21, 2013
Btw,your bro should have just move to another bank...almost all banks here operate western union
Uba is the last bank I will transact with!

4 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
Rilikoko: Btw,your bro should have just move to another bank...almost all banks here operate western union
Uba is the last bank I will transact with!

I will never do any western union again. I have always been doing wire transfer but this was just urgent.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Olaposij(m): 6:07am On Feb 22, 2013
payless: I have just asked him to get International Passport for future purposes. He said UBA, Dopemu. I even called to speak with these people and were adamant on seeing his driver's license which he had on him with voters' car and national I.D but they asked him to go and renew his drivers' license. The license only expired last week. This is a very crazy nation.

This is not a crazy nation.. You and your brother are the problems of this country.. Why would you pay 10k bribe? You could cause serious trouble for the bank for demanding the bribe, but you rather choose τ̲̅ȍ pay the bribe. You could have waited and used the 10k τ̲̅ȍ renew ur brother's license..
The only reason a banker wld demand a bribe from a western union transaction would be if he thought the money was proceeds 4rm internet fraud, and the way Ʊ just gave out 10k from ur money, i doubt if its legitimately earned..

8 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by ifyalways(f): 9:12am On Feb 22, 2013
Things get as e be for this country.
For GTB,You must have a current account with them before you can use WU.I almost cried for a lady with a sick mom dying in the hospital and her WU withheld by GTB.

As for those criticizing The OP's brother,its easy to cast stones in the comfort of your PC.When the Naija reality slaps you rudely,you'll play game fast.

20 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 22, 2013
Ha! Ha ha!

Seriously? i should pay you for collecting my OWN money?
Madness!
For where e dey happen?
I wonder how you people allow others to take advantage of you, which should not happen!
Am sorry to say, but its people like your brother that helps strengthen corruption.
If you channel complaints rightly you would get positive results!
I have never heard National ID card is not valid for WU, infact the only valid ID's for WU which i know are National ID card, International Passport and Driver's License.
Okay tell me to get a better ID accepted, tell me to pay you to do your job, MADNESS!
NANSENSE!
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by ifyalways(f): 10:23am On Feb 22, 2013
Let me fix you in the OP's shoes and lets see how it goes ^
He already said it was an emergency so it could be :
Someone at the emergency ward needing a deposit before the doctors can attend to him.
A school fees that need to be paid that pay or else admission is forfeited.
A loan that would incur 20% interest after 24 hours.

What would you honestly do? Don't be an internet Nigerian,for this once.

8 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 22, 2013
^ Excuse me.
I have been in emergencies,serious emergencies before as well on this same issue!
By the time i finished, nobody told the manager to intervene, and i was attended to within a twinkle of an eye with sincere apologies!
Excuse me is it not my money?
Okay op's brother didn't have the opportunity to do something immediate, has he reported this officially (later) to someone of higher authority within that bank?

Moderators, please move this story to front page abeg and if possible, kindly edit this topic,to:

'UBA DOPEMU, COLLECTS #10,000 TO RELEASE WESTERN UNION FUND' or whatever is best!

This kind of stories are front page materials to open bank nyansh!
cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by ifyalways(f): 10:36am On Feb 22, 2013
Olaposij:
This is not a crazy nation.. You and your brother are the problems of this country.. Why would you pay 10k bribe? You could cause serious trouble for the bank for demanding the bribe, but you rather choose τ̲̅ȍ pay the bribe. You could have waited and used the 10k τ̲̅ȍ renew ur brother's license..
The only reason a banker wld demand a bribe from a western union transaction would be if he thought the money was proceeds 4rm internet fraud, and the way Ʊ just gave out 10k from ur money, i doubt if its legitimately earned..
Not always true,bros.
I have witnessed a lady wailing in a bank cos she does not have a current account and the bank refused paying her.I spoke with the elder sister in UK who sent the money.The mom was lying at the General hospital,Lagos and this GTB bank was just close by.GTB was firm and nothing short of a current account holder would make them release the funds.
Long story short,the sister in UK went back to where she sent the funds,paid an extra charge for name change then re-sent the money with my name.

Weird things happen here.One just pray not to be caught in the Naija madness and especially when its an emergency.

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by PapaBrowne(m): 10:57am On Feb 22, 2013
I don't believe this story one inch. It is either your brother is deceiving you to get more money out of you or something is absolutely wrong.

First, we all go to banks everyday here in Nigeria. There is no bank that collects bribe to offer a service. It is absolutely impossible. The banks are one sector in Nigeria where corruption is at its barest minimum.

You have to ask your brother more questions. Banks in Nigeria wouldn't give you Western Union if your ID is incomplete and the aim is actually to protect you from falling victim to scammers. It would have cost almost nothing to get that license renewed.

And please why does your brother expect to access banking services without a valid ID CARD. In the country where you are based can you do anything without identification?? You cant even cash your paycheck without an ID. You cant even get a job without social security. You can hardly access healthcare without health Insurance. You cannot even stay in some hotels without a credit card. You cant do anything without identification.

Why on earth do you expect your brother to access services without identification. For your information, Nigeria is changing and many things you could get away with easy previously have become more difficult.

4 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by gunuvi(m): 11:01am On Feb 22, 2013
AmBeautiful: ^ Excuse me.
I have been in emergencies,serious emergencies before as well on this same issue!
By the time i finished, nobody told the manager to intervene, and i was attended to within a twinkle of an eye with sincere apologies!
Okay op's brother didn't have the opportunity to do something immediate, has he reported this officially (later) to someone of higher authority within that bank?

Moderators, please move this story to front page abeg and if possible, kindly edit this topic,to:

'UBA DOPEMU, COLLECTS #10,000 TO RELEASE WESTERN UNION FUND' or whatever is best!

cheesy

cheesy

cheesy
UBA DOPEMU, COLLECTS #10,000 TO RELEASE WESTERN UNION FUND
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by biolabee(m): 11:02am On Feb 22, 2013
A similar topic has been posted somewhere in NL. about one bank asking for a token sum to help faciliate western union

I think it was ETB or something

Its all well and good to postulate theories but at times there is no time to be wasted
The money is needed

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 22, 2013
PapaBrowne: I don't believe this story one inch. It is either your brother is deceiving you to get more money out of you or something is absolutely wrong.

First, we all go to banks everyday here in Nigeria. There is no bank that collects bribe to offer a service. It is absolutely impossible. The banks are one sector in Nigeria where corruption is at its barest minimum.

You have to ask your brother more questions. Banks in Nigeria wouldn't give you Western Union if your ID is incomplete and the aim is actually to protect you from falling victim to scammers. It would have cost almost nothing to get that license renewed.

And please why does your brother expect to access banking services without a valid ID CARD. In the country where you are based can you do anything without identification?? You cant even cash your paycheck without an ID. You cant even get a job without social security. You can hardly access healthcare without health Insurance. You cannot even stay in some hotels without a credit card. You cant do anything without identification.

Why on earth do you expect your brother to access services without identification. For your information, Nigeria is changing and many things you could get away with easy previously have become more difficult.

Why are you ranting? Have you read the post and comprehend at all? He had his ID which is drivers' license but expired on February 10, 2013. He had voters' card and National card which they did not accept from him. He was asked to go and renew his drivers' license or get an International Paspport.

3 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Olaposij(m): 3:25pm On Feb 22, 2013
ifyalways: Not always true,bros.
I have witnessed a lady wailing in a bank cos she does not have a current account and the bank refused paying her.I spoke with the elder sister in UK who sent the money.The mom was lying at the General hospital,Lagos and this GTB bank was just close by.GTB was firm and nothing short of a current account holder would make them release the funds.
Long story short,the sister in UK went back to where she sent the funds,paid an extra charge for name change then re-sent the money with my name.

Weird things happen here.One just pray not to be caught in the Naija madness and especially when its an emergency.
Nowhere in the post did the OP tell us the emergency is as serious as the one in ur story above.
The fact is he said Nigeria is a crazy country, and he and his brother just added τ̲̅ȍ the 'craziness' by bribing whoever demanded for the bribe..

1 Like

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Myself2(m): 3:52pm On Feb 22, 2013
PapaBrowne: I don't believe this story one inch. It is either your brother is deceiving you to get more money out of you or something is absolutely wrong.

Tell him
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by doctokwus: 3:54pm On Feb 22, 2013
I think d bro scammed d op.In these days of high unemployment rate,bankers are always careful not to be involved in anything unprocedural or tainted with a whiff of corruption.If d bro's claim is true,what d person in charge of d transaction wud av done is to blatantly refuse to allow d transaction,but not asking for bribe.If he ddnt av a valid means of ID accepted by d bank,what was den photocopied as a means of id?
Op ask ur bro more questions& he wud tell u d truth,but for him to claim N10,000 was given as bribe is pure scam!
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Myself2(m): 4:10pm On Feb 22, 2013
@ OP,

You said you spoke with the bank offficials,how are you sure it was the bank officials you spoke with.

One would think the more practical thing to do in a scenario where bank officials are acting up is to eport them to their superiors;HOP or BM,why call you and ask you to speak with the erring officials?

3 Likes

Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2013
Myself2: @ OP,

You said you spoke with the bank offficials,how are you sure it was the bank officials you spoke with.

One would think the more practical thing to do in a scenario where bank officials are acting up is to eport them to their superiors;HOP or BM,why call you and ask you to speak with the erring officials?

You are entitled to your opinion. He called me from the bank to tell me what happened and I requested to talk to any official at the bank. He gave the phone to the guy and I tried to explain that I just sent the money from U.S. The guy said he must provide either his unexpired Drivers' License or International Passport before they pay him. To my surprise he had to offer them bribe for him to get the money. I asked him why he offered the money and he said that is the system in Nigeria.
Re: Charged N10,000 For Collecting Western-Union With Incorrect ID by doctokwus: 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
payless:

. To my surprise he had to offer them bribe for him to get the money. I asked him why he offered the money and he said that is the system in Nigeria.
So much in a hurry to pay dem dis bribe,which I guess was deducted frm d mony u sent.Smells scam to me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Adeduntan Resigned As First Bank CEO On Cbn’s Order / See How Aliko Dangote Got Painted By Ayeola Ayodeji / Court Restrains Dangote, Police From Interfering With BUA Mining Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.