Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,962 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid (23107 Views)

10 Bad Money Habits To Avoid In This Second Half Of The Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2013
You not talking money, then you talking nonsense
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by jamace(m): 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: as far as i am concern u have not spoken anytin, i prefer u telling us what 2 do , rather than telling us wat not 2 do.

Not doing d wrong tin doesn't mean u av done d right tin.

if u re tellin us not 2 eat garri , i tink u should also tell us wat 2 eat, else we die of hunger.

I don.t want to believe that the OP edited his post. If my believe is correct then the OP has given everything in black and white. I mean the OP has given both the DON'TS and DOs.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by jossy501: 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: as far as i am concern u have not spoken anytin, i prefer u telling us what 2 do , rather than telling us wat not 2 do.

if u re tellin us not 2 eat garri , i tink u should also tell us wat 2 eat, else we die of hunger.
exactly my point
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by jossy501: 9:05pm On Jul 27, 2013
Bros G: Thanks. What's so special in being first to comment sef
help me ask them
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by philips70(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2013
Pat Akpos: Nice write up. I made 1st page today...... Yay!!

That poster who made the age grade stuff should just please add 0-5 category so that my 6yr lil boy school friends here can put their likes too.
Seun, time to create baby Nairaland. Home alone kids have invaded your site o.

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by jossy501: 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
T-Wallpapers:

Are you a child? If yes then the write up is not for you. If you can't figure it out with what not to do, you will get more confused with what to do!
sometimes adult need some details explanation
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by kliq(m): 9:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
Expectedly:"stock market" still nursin d injury since 2008....it is well
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by slimfit1(m): 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
You invest in things need and considers unavoidable .
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by leoweblinkblog(m): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2013
if una go fit e for make sense
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by AdeniyiA(m): 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: [size=14pt]its just lik tellin a child dat he shouldn't buy anytin frm mama okoro shop, but u also failed 2 tell him where 2 buy frm[/size]
THE child will use his COMMON SENSE by not going to mama okoro since mama chinedu also sells same
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by MBEGBUCC: 10:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
cool[/color][color=#990000].thanks for the knowledge u people are sharing to nigerians.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by cecegorz(m): 10:12pm On Jul 27, 2013
pendusky: so people like me that hav pension money paid from my salary, do i still need another investment? i rep #team26-30
Sorry to burst your bubble but that funds may not be accessible by the time you retire. Some one would have moved the cheese as usual.
You better start planning your personal pension.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by tomzman: 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ok!
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by sirp2007: 10:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
pendusky: so people like me that hav pension money paid from my salary, do i still need another investment? i rep #team26-30
yes u need another investment.Nothing bad in having strings of investment,besides we all know d kind of country we are in,u can't tell if those collecting ur pension now will still be there when u need it.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by coretechng1(m): 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
izeek:

I would think that wen u know wat not to do, then what to do certainly becomes clearer.....wat u just said, is short of being spoon fed.
SO whats difficult in telling people what to do.This writeup is like Robert Kiyosaki's book.After reading you wonder "what do I now do to be saved".
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Hardfact: 11:18pm On Jul 27, 2013

One man's food is another man's . . .
*fill in the . . .*
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Ninapha(f): 11:28pm On Jul 27, 2013
. For me so long ur office scheme is feasible, u are gud to go. Other areas u can move in are children education fund, eg, Hi-Fi account, dat way u plan ur children educational needs and or do other types of account dat wd allow u save up in piece-meal for further investment. Pick up Bancassurance policies and see ur retirement and even eventualities fixed.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 28, 2013
Adeniyi A.:

THE child will use his COMMON SENSE by not going to mama okoro since mama chinedu also sells same
if mama okoro n mama chinedu sell d same stuffs , of wat use wud it b leaving mama okoro 4 mama chained?.
Common sense is scarce sometime.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by anonimi: 6:13am On Jul 28, 2013
ighoosagie: i tink u re d child here, frm all indications ,dis stuffs listed above re what invogue. with my statistics of all d world richest they re all involved in all dis form of investment, in as much as dey also av their day 2 day businesses.

i wud rather risk for sometin dan to wait 4 notin

And with "YOUR statistics of all d world richest" YOU cannot come up with a list of investment TRUTHS to complement the list of fallacies he has listed?
Are you for real
SMH!!!

philips70:

That poster who made the age grade stuff should just please add 0-5 category so that my 6yr lil boy school friends here can put their likes too.
Seun, time to create baby Nairaland. Home alone kids have invaded your site o.

Indeed Seun may really need to create a baby nairaland for those who need to be SPOON FED still!!!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Osasumwen15: 7:22am On Jul 28, 2013
Nice write up.kudos
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Isiterere(m): 9:30am On Jul 28, 2013

You're so on point .
That Garri might be edible for someone.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Isiterere(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2013
ighoosagie: i tink u re d child here, frm all indications ,dis stuffs listed above re what invogue. with my statistics of all d world richest they re all involved in all dis form of investment, in as much as dey also av their day 2 day businesses.

i wud rather[b] risk[/b] for sometin dan to wait 4 notin
Life is all about RISK and UNCERTAINTY.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by lurvy: 12:50pm On Jul 28, 2013
[size=17pt]why is it that the OP hasnt replied since he put up this post??
Like someone pointed out before.. he hasnt communicated anything meaningful here!
It better you come up with solutions instead of just criticising or questioning without any solution![/size]
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Bumken(f): 12:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
Personally, everyone should consider establishing online business as a great means of making extra income online.

dagr8: There are a few wrong way of thinking about investment which result in why individual investors often fail miserably. It is good we know them and avoid being one of such investors.

Here are six common fallacies about investment:

1. 'I am too young to plan for retirement'

Have you started planning for your retirement? You may be thinking: "Who, me? I am just 20 why should I be thinking about retirement". It is not so. Rethink. You should have rather started thinking about it yesterday, because time flies quickly.

If you were smart and planned for retirement while you were young, your retirement years will be really those 'golden years'. If not, you will need to compromise and work for a longer period of time, retiring later compared to others.

2. Stock markets can yield quick money

This is a another fallacy. Stock markets reward long-term investors. In stock markets, money is transferred from investors who are fearful and greedy to the investors who are balanced and rational. This is the simple truth.

You need to be calm, patient, disciplined and rational. You don't have to be smarter but more disciplined than the rest.

3. Fixed Deposits(FDs) and Treasury bills(TBs) are the safest and best

There is nothing wrong in investing in fixed deposit (FD) or Treasury Bill (TB) . FDs are really safe and give us fixed returns. But this does not mean that investing all your money in FDs is a good idea. FD will hardly beat inflation at the long run. And if your investments are not beating the rate of inflation, your money is losing its purchasing power. TBs and FDs are safe but not always the best option.

4. I can never be as good as Warren Buffet so why try?

lol...says who? In the words of Warren Buffet: "Success in investing doesn't correlate with IQ once you're above the level of 125. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control the urges that get other people into trouble in investing." You don't need a super brain for making investment decisions. You only need common sense and discipline. If you don't have enough time and expertise, you can get assistance from professionals.

Also, investors often spend a lot of their time in trying to figure out when the market is very low or high, to be able to time the purchase and sale of investments accordingly.

In other words, investors want to exit when the market has reached its top and enter when the market has just reached a bottom. This is not a practical idea because there are so many factors that influence the markets. Predicting all the factors and making investments is practically not possible. Instead,stay invested for a long term.

5. There is no such thing as too much diversification

Diversification is needed but don't over diversify. Having more than 20 stocks or investments can dilute your returns. The reason behind this is you are not only investing in best stocks or the best of investments but also in average and above-average ones. Therefore, your returns are likely to come down. You need to rather concentrate on fewer investments. It is possible to achieve the required diversification with a few but solid investments.Andrew Carnegie said:"The wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket".

6. The best way to make money is investing in what is hot

If you are investing in what is hot then you are following the crowd. And if you follow the crowd, you will get what others are getting, and not anything more. You need to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Don't go by the market trend or the hot pick of the month. Instead, think like a "contrarian" and follow value investing.

You will be an assured successful investor if you could avoid these investment fallacies.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by oluwaniife: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2013

As far as i'm concerned too, you've said nothing reasonable and to think that u got 46 likes is just unthinkable. And ur example is just so silly (apologies). Pikin wey dem tell make e no chop garri go sha find another thing chop. Na garri b d only food wey dey? If u die na stupidity cause am no be hunger.

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
careytommy:
Why should i plan for early retirement when stats prove that those who retire early die early?

lolz.

Anyway, can u elaborate on your signature
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2013
oluwaniife:
As far as i'm concerned too, you've said nothing reasonable and to think that u got 46 likes is just unthinkable. And ur example is just so silly (apologies). Pikin wey dem tell make e no chop garri go sha find another thing chop. Na garri b d only food wey dey? If u die na stupidity cause am no be hunger.
very unfortunate dat u can't comprehend.
Is it only garri dat is listed above or can't u see dey re 6.
Even rice n beans join self
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by fexlist(m): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for the info!
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by IJI777: 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2013
careytommy:
Why should i plan for early retirement when stats prove that those who retire early die early?
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by olawalebabs(m): 4:44pm On Jul 28, 2013
This article come handy, just finish discussing the negative effect of FD and TB as an investment tools, this article supports my line of argument.

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:44pm On Jul 28, 2013
Tight write up and my finest line is- WISE MEN PUT THEIR EGGS IN ONE BASKET AND WATCH IT- I call it the law of "FOCUS".

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Metaforce And How You Can Make Millions Of Dollars / Elon Musk Snaps Up $3bn Twitter Stake, Becomes Twitter's Largest Shareholder / View This Neoclassical 3-bedroom Bungalow Architectural Building Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.