Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,494 members, 7,823,157 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 (5673 Views)

The Literature Section Person Of The Year Award 2014 / Poor Representation Of The Literature Section On The Frontpage. / The Literature Fun Thread - Stephen King Fans! Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
This will be a medium for reviews, discussions, inputs and suggestions and all about the literature Awards.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 12:38pm On Sep 06, 2013
Owkay, so about d 6 months membership thing....
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2013
repogirl: Owkay, so about d 6 months membership thing....
to vote right?

Its because people have a habit of creating multiple ids, so now we know who is who and voting will not be tempered with.

1 Like

Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 12:46pm On Sep 06, 2013
Okay....but six months is a long time, I almost didn't make the cut, can something be done about it?

it's okay if u want to stick with it though, since u r d initiator.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
repogirl: Okay....but six months is a long time, I almost didn't make the cut, can something be done about it?

you almost didn't? M sorry girl will review it then.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 1:18pm On Sep 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: you almost didn't? M sorry girl will review it then.

okay then, thanks.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
When is the thinny starting!?
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 10:05am On Sep 11, 2013
Hi HBG, hope all's well? What's happening with the literary awards thing?
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 10:16am On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: Okay....but six months is a long time, I almost didn't make the cut, can something be done about it?

The six months thingy won't stand. We will rather have it pegged at 1st September 2013
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by kayemjay(m): 10:42am On Sep 11, 2013
Great Concept. Hope there would be tangible prizes like:

Private jets, plots of land in Banana Island Ikoyi, OFR appointments, Range Envogues 2014, cash prizes $100,000 and above.
Thanks for considering.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 11:21am On Sep 11, 2013
kayemjay: Great Concept. Hope there would be tangible prizes like:

Private jets, plots of land in Banana Island Ikoyi, OFR appointments, Range Envogues 2014, cash prizes $100,000 and above.
Thanks for considering.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Let's start small. We need ideas anyway
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 11:43am On Sep 11, 2013
Replied your mail, what do u think?
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: Replied your mail, what do u think?
Please post it here.

Personally, I think we should have organisers instead of judges as the readers will be the ones voting anyway. We can have the writers/readers nominate the works they thing deserves award and the organisers will group them into genres.

We can then vote according to genres which will bring preliminary winners which will go in for the finals which will be the literature thread of the year.

We should also have a new comer's award and honorary award to a special writer. Even if the person is not longer here.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Madawaki01(m): 12:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mynd_44:
Please post it here.

Personally, I think we should have organisers instead of judges as the readers will be the ones voting anyway. We can have the writers/readers nominate the works they thing deserves award and the organisers will group them into genres.

We can then vote according to genres which will bring preliminary winners which will go in for the finals which will be the literature thread of the year.

We should also have a new comer's award and honorary award to a special writer. Even if the person is not longer here.

gud suggestion WW
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 12:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
Literature thread of the year....does that mean there'll be only one overall winner? If so, then we'll be loosing the initial idea behind the awards which was to have a winner from each genre.

I'm not sure it will be easy or fair to pitch genres against one another. One might care for action stories and not romance and therefore vote for his preference even if the other might be better.

I think these awards should be based on genre.

newcomers award and honorary award do sound good.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by kayemjay(m): 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: Literature thread of the year....does that mean there'll be only one overall winner? If so, then we'll be loosing the initial idea behind the awards which was to have a winner from each genre.

I'm not sure it will be easy or fair to pitch genres against one another. One might care for action stories and not romance and therefore vote for his preference even if the other might be better.

To buttress her point, I think there should be awards for different genres, then an award to an overall winner. Just like In Music Awards, you have best hip hop song, best rap, best soul, best rock, best raggae, best collabo, and you also have BEST SONG of the year.

Just my two cents though.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: Literature thread of the year....does that mean there'll be only one overall winner? If so, then we'll be loosing the initial idea behind the awards which was to have a winner from each genre.

Okay....

That's why we have this thread
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2013
kayemjay:

To buttress her point, I think there should be awards for different genres, then an award to an overall winner. Just like In Music Awards, you have best hip hop song, best rap, best soul, best rock, best raggae, best collabo, and you also have BEST SONG of the year.

Just my two cents though.
This is my opinion but she said we should not pitch genres against themselves.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by kayemjay(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2013
Forgive me if i am wrong @repogirl, but i do not think this is a battle of different genres.

What I mean is works would be grouped into genres and the threads that fall into a particular genre will battle for the award FOR THAT GENRE. Different awards for different genres, but at the end of it all, there should be an additional FINAL award for the Best Thread in Sexuality section.

That is the way awards are usually done.

You feeling me?
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
Yeah @ kayemjay, I get u and agree with it, makes sense.

@mynd, I thought u just wanted an overall award only.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
@repogirl, Nah......

We will divide them and them go for an overall
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
At this junction, let me introduce our first organiser.

Texanomally.

She will be part of a dedicated team that will help with the grouping and logistics.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 12:44pm On Sep 11, 2013
*claps hands gleefully * Yay!!
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 12:51pm On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: *claps hands gleefully * Yay!!
Why you dem clap?

Please you can also nominate organisers oooo. I think we need 5 which means we have 4 empty slots. So nominate and suggest, the awards is yours not mine

I will be involved just as the moderator and security guardgrin
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 1:00pm On Sep 11, 2013
What's d criteria for being an organizer? Can writers also be organizers or will that be a conflict of interest?
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by kayemjay(m): 1:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mynd_44:

The awards is yours not mine

Ehen? Na so abi? Okay na. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by chistar01(m): 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Nice initiative here.

I have a problem with this 6month thing, if you stick to that I won't make the cut and am sure many people won't too. You can make it just a month, I think that would serve same purpose as the 6 month time span in terms of people creating new accounts to boost their votes.

Secondly, let's try and use a similar idea to the musical awards just as Kay suggested. Same way that there are awards for all genre and at the same time, there is the song of the year and artist of the year. Same should be applied here where is a thread of the year and poster of the year (I think, cuddles should merge the poster of the year award with this to create unity)

@mynd, when you say 'new comer' how exactly do you plan on enforcing that? I mean is it that you check the profile of people to know when they joined nairaland then it they make a time span cut, you check how influential they have been to the section? Or you just pick new threads? Or how exactly? I like the idea but am just wondering how possible it would be.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by chistar01(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mynd_44:

I will be involved just as the moderator and security guardgrin
ol... Security guard?l
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: What's d criteria for being an organizer? Can writers also be organizers or will that be a conflict of interest?
Big conflict of interest
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by Mynd44: 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
@christar01,

I say the date should be pegged at 10th September 2013 for voters and threads have to be finished by that date to get nominated.

About multiple IDs, I will handle them my way
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by repogirl(f): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mynd....clears throat, do threads have to be finished? There are lots of works that haven't been completed here o, what if they are 75 percent done, or 80, Or 90? smiley

abeg, am openly begging for myself here. grin.
Re: discussion thread for the literature awards 2013 by texanomaly(f): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
repogirl: *claps hands gleefully * Yay!!
lol I see you girl.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Short Short Story: Why Can't I Go To Europe Like Other Men Of My Age? / Mary Abraham: One Girl Army (A Story) / It Pays To Be Discipline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.