Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain (5860 Views)

Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number / 1996 VW Vento Or 1996 Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by laremsworldwide: 9:56am On Sep 07, 2013
AS A BEGINNER, PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHICH ONE TO GO FOR BETWEEN THE TWO CARS
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 07, 2013
laremsworldwide: AS A BEGINNER, PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHICH ONE TO GO FOR BETWEEN THE TWO CARS

If you'd taken the time to do your own research (same way you decided to create this thread in BLOCK CAPITALS), Google both models, you'd have realised both are EXACTLY the same, same engines, transmissions, suspension, interior. Only difference is the Vento is a sedan, while the Golf is a hatchback.

Same strengths and weaknesses.

It all boils down to what's more practical to you - a sedan or a hatchback.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Oluabayomi1(m): 12:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
Siena:

If you'd taken the time to do your own research (same way
you decided to create this thread in BLOCK CAPITALS), Google both
models, you'd have realised both are EXACTLY the same, same engines,
transmissions, suspension, interior. Only difference is the Vento is a
sedan, while the Golf is a hatchback.

It all boils down to what's more practical to you - a sedan or a
hatchback.

Mr Sienna, i ve bn following some of ur threads n they re quite interesting. Are d 2 cars d same in terms of price( Vento n Golf III). i mean direct tokunbo. thanks a lot
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
Olu abayomi :

Mr Sienna, i ve bn following some of ur threads n they re quite interesting. Are d 2 cars d same in terms of price( Vento n Golf III). i mean direct tokunbo. thanks a lot

Prices will be close.

In Europe, hatchbacks are more popular, so cars from Europe may be priced higher than sedans. In North America, sedans are favoured, so cars from the US may be priced higher than hatchbacks.
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
And I think the sedan version from US is branded Jetta.
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
chief, this is 2013...get a more recent model than mark 3 or better still a newer honda or toyota...i used a jetta in the last 18 months...i like my car to be in optimal condition. always had to spend at least 1 weekend every month at mechanic fixing one thing or the other. they are nice cars...but expensive to maintain...and that is a testimony for Mark 3 in 2013...to be fore-warned is to be fore-armed
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by baaliyah(m): 8:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
@gmy, your Mk 3 'mark 3' must be a junk, what is in golf 3 to spend time at mechan. I used 2 golf 3, and one golf 2 syncro they are almost problem free. I could possibly fix any thing on them. I retired when I leant Mk IV is problematic.
@ poster, they good for start.

2 Likes

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2013
gmyguy: chief, this is 2013...get a more recent model than mark 3 or better still a newer honda or toyota...i used a jetta in the last 18 months...i like my car to be in optimal condition. always had to spend at least 1 weekend every month at mechanic fixing one thing or the other. they are nice cars...but expensive to maintain...and that is a testimony for Mark 3 in 2013...to be fore-warned is to be fore-armed

This is where Nigerians err - their mindset is really odd. To them, anyone driving an older car must be poor. Well, wake up - even in the West, there are millionaires running 20-year-old cars. In the West, no one judges you on what car you drive, no one really cares.

The average Nigerian MUST drive a brand new car, regardless of the make or model. He / she would rather drive a brand new Kia Picanto than a 5-year-old BMW E60 or 3-year-old Honda Accord.

Bro, be happy with what you have, and your own choices. But don't look down, and sneer at those running older cars, because you feel superior to them. You're no better, and everyone has different priorities, with the automobile being further down the list.

* Rant over *

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by uboma(m): 9:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
Siena:

This is where Nigerians err - their mindset is really odd. To them, anyone driving an older car must be poor. Well, wake up - even in the West, there are millionaires running 20-year-old cars. In the West, no one judges you on what car you drive, no one really cares.

The average Nigerian MUST drive a brand new car, regardless of the make or model. He / she would rather drive a brand new Kia Picanto than a 5-year-old BMW E60 or 3-year-old Honda Accord.

Bro, be happy with what you have, and your own choices. But don't look down, and sneer at those running older cars, because you feel superior to them. You're no better, and everyone has different priorities, with the automobile being further down the list.

* Rant over *

10,000,000 likes

5 Likes

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by laremsworldwide: 5:44am On Sep 09, 2013
Siena:

If you'd taken the time to do your own research (same way you decided to create this thread in BLOCK CAPITALS), Google both models, you'd have realised both are EXACTLY the same, same engines, transmissions, suspension, interior. Only difference is the Vento is a sedan, while the Golf is a hatchback.

It all boils down to what's more practical to you - a sedan or a hatchback.

Thank ¥φυ Mr Siena, since both cars are †ђξ same, Ȋ̝̊̅̄ think Ȋ̝̊̅̄ will settle fφя̩̥̊ VW Vento because it looks bigger than golf and more presentable, Ȋ̝̊̅̄ guess ¥φυ understood me there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by wwwkaycom(m): 6:50am On Sep 09, 2013
Vento was the commercial name of the 3rd generation volkswagen Jetta (1992-1999) in Europe. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Vento So it is a variant of the volkswagen jetta, looks like the beautiful jetta executive of those days. My elder brother has been using a vento as taxi in Ondo State for 16months, very rugged fuel efficient car just like the golf 3. Avoid the auto trans pls. Wishing you all the best, cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 09, 2013
Siena:

* Rant over *
what are you saying?!!!...i used a Jetta 3 for 18months...i had only 200k+ 300k from my mum when i bought it...i am a medc doctor...look, you don't know me, so quit the yak...I spent almost the cost of the car trying to keep in fit and it wasn't problematic...American specs...infact see pix. I am just trying to advice the guy shopping, why spend that much on a tokunbo Jetta when u can get a car that won't give you headache with choice of mechanics who will downgrade the car for you...Anyway, you might be lucky. I am no snob...i am self-made and in the making. But from my experience...you can buy the car if you need it for a collector's item...But it's expensive to maintain. And if i were you, i'd go for the golf...Jetta...overhyped...I just sold mine. was a good car until only God knows what happened

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 09, 2013
ba_aliyah: @gmy, your Mk 3 'mark 3' must be a junk, what is in golf 3 to spend time at mechan. I used 2 golf 3, and one golf 2 syncro they are almost problem free. I could possibly fix any thing on them. I retired when I leant Mk IV is problematic.
@ poster, they good for start.
Well, there was 1 ibo guy at Itire then, guess cos the parts were cheap, he'd just come and replace anything even before it packed up...I just don't see why i have to spend a weekend every month at the mechanic repairing electric window or changing water pump or changing shocks or whatever else i did. i'd rather just do 2/3 monthly servicing
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 09, 2013
laremsworldwide:
Thank ¥φυ Mr Siena, since both cars are †ђξ same, Ȋ̝̊̅̄ think Ȋ̝̊̅̄ will settle fφя̩̥̊ VW Vento because it looks bigger than golf and more presentable, Ȋ̝̊̅̄ guess ¥φυ understood me there.
good luck
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 09, 2013
Siena:

* Rant over *
i said more recent model, than 1996...all the parts will be worn, you will end up replacing every single part in that car one after the other...you can go for early 2000...the prices now are fairly similar, you'll still have some repair, but probably less...Mr sienna is a mechanic, so all these repairs for him is no big deal, but if you don't mind it good luck. * end of rant*
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 09, 2013
gmyguy: Well, there was 1 ibo guy at Itire then, guess cos the parts were cheap, he'd just come and replace anything even before it packed up...I just don't see why i have to spend a weekend every month at the mechanic repairing electric window or changing water pump or changing shocks or whatever else i did. i'd rather just do 2/3 monthly servicing

Bro, you were either unlucky, or had a mechanic who didn't know his armpit from a spanner. Brand new cars in Nigeria have also been wrecked by erring "mechanics."

I'm happy you're out of your nightmare...but I would advice you change your mechanic, as clearly the last one (that ruined your Jetta) didn't know what he was doing. The EA-827 series engine in the VW Golf / Jetta / Audi 80 is as simple as they come, even the casual DIY user can work on it, without any special tools or training.

1 Like

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 09, 2013
gmyguy: what are you saying?!!!...i used a Jetta 3 for 18months...i had only 200k+ 300k from my mum when i bought it...i am a medc doctor...look, you don't know me, so quit the yak...I spent almost the cost of the car trying to keep in fit and it wasn't problematic...American specs...infact see pix. I am just trying to advice the guy shopping, why spend that much on a tokunbo Jetta when u can get a car that won't give you headache with choice of mechanics who will downgrade the car for you...Anyway, you might be lucky. I am no snob...i am self-made and in the making. But from my experience...you can buy the car if you need it for a collector's item...But it's expensive to maintain. And if i were you, i'd go for the golf...Jetta...overhyped...I just sold mine. was a good car until only God knows what happened

Bro...ease up, wind your neck in, no need to be so defensive. The Golf and Jetta are THE SAME. You're a doctor, this is clearly not your field, I'm an engineer, and know my stuff when it comes to the automobile. I'm trying to help you, if you chill out a tad, you might well learn something, and probably know what's up with your car, and be able to supervise your mechanic.

I'm not a doctor, and have no medical knowledge...so I'll be looking up to you for advice. And, I'll take it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
Siena:

Bro...ease up, wind your neck in, no need to be so defensive. The Golf and Jetta are THE SAME. You're a doctor, this is clearly not your field, I'm an engineer, and know my stuff when it comes to the automobile. I'm trying to help you, if you chill out a tad, you might well learn something, and probably know what's up with your car, and be able to supervise your mechanic.

I'm not a doctor, and have no medical knowledge...so I'll be looking up to you for advice. And, I'll take it.
i always had my beady eyes on them...those guys would still scam you if you slept with them....just got tired of the weekend-mechanic trips way of life, back on monday for repeat jobs.....there was a time i spent almost 2 weeks on their neck, the time my injector packed up. it was so bad people started contributing money for me...imagine, because of Jetta. i was initially planning to buy the 04 jetta, when i wanted to change it, just decided on the honda accord after my ordeal with them...am not such an enthusiast to devote my passion to supervising mechanics repairing my car, i no be Vin diesel...there was a time, when the camel's back broke, i had just serviced it to take out a female friend from the UK, in short 2 babes, drove car to apapa and noticed it was acting up somehow, but was like, no probs since i had just seen mecho 2 days ago. only for car to break down on awolowo way, ikoyi. and motorists horning on my head, like it was my dream come true for car to breakdown. then had to start pushing the car, with the babes inside it ( of course, they made the car heavier), almost got beaten by some police sef, cos that day jonathan was in town. The car just ruined the whole cruise. It became un-reliable. They would later say i shud have bought a new engine, after spending thrice the cost of a new engine on repairing it...that wouldnt be wise now, would it?
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by baaliyah(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
@gmyguy,
bros,i can understand ur ordeal with ur car. I believe 'luck' is part of car buying process, expecially tokunbo cars. In all my years of using golfs I changed shock twice, I dont know how water pump or fuel pumps in those cars look like. The two mk3 came with injector, I never had problems with it. Even the old sycro mk2 '86, I changed the injector to carb and I still enjoyed it. There are some cases like urs. Pls do try to patronize good mecho. I miss my golfs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
I feel your pain, Gymguy. It's not easy, but you need to find a garage you can trust, enough to leave your car, and know they'll do the job properly.

All the best with your new Honda, I'm sure she'll serve you well.

1 Like

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
thanks
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by luluspin(m): 9:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
[quote author=Siena]I feel your pain, Gymguy. It's not easy, but you need to find a garage you can trust, enough to leave your car, and know they'll do the job properly.

All the best with your new Honda, I'm sure she'll serve you well.
[/quote

I av a lil issue with my car, kia optima 2002, wen its parked the rear tyre behind the driver side is always close to the arch upper its as if the body is leaning on the tyre, just a lil space in btwn the tyre and the arch, and the shock his still strong, my mechanic said its the bushing, we did it its still same, or shld I say even worse, pls what could it be, and the car itself is not bent even on motion
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 10, 2013
[quote author=luluspin][/quote]what is the tire size of the 2 tires at the back?...you can check, an example is something like 205/55/R15...if the ??55 is different, that may be the reason
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Ikenna351(m): 2:08pm On Sep 10, 2013
Early this year, April, i picked a tokunbo Golf 3 SW for my father. I took it to him a month later.

Before the purchase, i was in a serious dilemma : Golf 3 SW or Vento. Personally, i always go for Sedan. But i was scared that the mechanics down there may not know much about Vento, even though they are the same, except the bodies of course. I was thinking my father would find it difficult to source for Vento parts in Anambra state, especially the body parts, since i wasn't sure how common Vento is over there. I eventually got him the Golf 3 SW which he was happy to see when i drove in from Abuja.

I personally decided on Golf 3 for him, because i had to consider the mechanics available over there. Getting him a car with complex electrics wont be helpful, since i won't be there to be fixing the car for him. He called me oneday and told me the car developed a minor electrical problem. He took to an electrician who asked him to come back and pick the car later in the day. He got back and picked the vehicle which has been fixed. He got home and observed that the radiator fan was spinning constantly. What could i do? Nothing. He knew about the factory fan setting because i explained to him and asked him not to allow anyone tamper with the fan's connection. I was angry why would the electrician meddle with what was not an issue with the car.

Aside the above issue, he is yet to call me to complain of any issue. Even there is one, it would have been taken care of by those quack mechanics. And that's exactly why i got her the car. But to be honest, i do regret sometimes not getting him Vento instead. But why should i, when the old man is enjoying the car?

The point am trying to make is that I would choose Vento over Golf 3, simply because i prefer sedan to hatchback and SW. And also, they can be used and maintained easily anywhere.

Ikenna.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by luluspin(m): 2:12pm On Sep 10, 2013
The side that has problem is 195/65/15 the one beside is 205/60/15
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
luluspin: The side that has problem is 195/65/15 the one beside is 205/60/15
The tire height is different., by 1cm. Although, this may not be the only problem. Try checking all the tires. The first number is width of the tire, so as you can see they are different. The 2nd is the height and the third is the rim size. Check all your tires, different sizes may be the reason of the illusion that the shocks might be bad. After you resolve that, you can see if it's corrected. Also check the surface you are parking on...if the topography is unequal, it can drive you bananas thinking something is amiss, but firstly, the tire on the driver's side at back is ''taller'' than the other one slightly
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by luluspin(m): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2013
Thanks bro....
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by uboma(m): 7:26pm On Sep 10, 2013
gmyguy: i always had my beady eyes on them...those guys would still scam you if you slept with them....just got tired of the weekend-mechanic trips way of life, back on monday for repeat jobs.....there was a time i spent almost 2 weeks on their neck, the time my injector packed up. it was so bad people started contributing money for me...imagine, because of Jetta. i was initially planning to buy the 04 jetta, when i wanted to change it, just decided on the honda accord after my ordeal with them...am not such an enthusiast to devote my passion to supervising mechanics repairing my car, i no be Vin diesel...there was a time, when the camel's back broke, i had just serviced it to take out a female friend from the UK, in short 2 babes, drove car to apapa and noticed it was acting up somehow, but was like, no probs since i had just seen mecho 2 days ago. only for car to break down on awolowo way, ikoyi. and motorists horning on my head, like it was my dream come true for car to breakdown. then had to start pushing the car, with the babes inside it ( of course, they made the car heavier), almost got beaten by some police sef, cos that day jonathan was in town. The car just ruined the whole cruise. It became un-reliable. They would later say i shud have bought a new engine, after spending thrice the cost of a new engine on repairing it...that wouldnt be wise now, would it?

Just as you are happy to have the burden of your Vento lifted off you, I'm sure you also explained in details to the man that bought it from you about the usual problems of the car? Or did you simply tell him that the vehicle is problem free like most people do to deceive others....?
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 11, 2013
p
uboma:

Just as you are happy to have the burden of your Vento lifted off you, I'm sure you also explained in details to the man that bought it from you about the usual problems of the car? Or did you simply tell him that the vehicle is problem free like most people do to deceive others....?
na mechanic buy am
Re: Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain by pure2012soul(m): 5:29pm On Jun 25, 2015
Siena:

* Rant over *
1, 000, 000, 000, 000 Likes and Shares
grin

(1) (Reply)

Planning On Getting A 2004 Pontiac Vibe As My First Car...pls Advise! / What Is Wrong With Your Car In Ibadan---ibadan Car Problems Solution Thread / Nissan Cabstar Vs Toyota Dyna Vs Mitsubishi Canter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.