Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes (60022 Views)

What Caffeine Does To Our Systems / What Coke Does To Your Body In 1 Hour / Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by 9jaboy007: 8:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
my name peter vitalis .unn student.......i will forfit my admision if any body cn mec ten tea spoon of suger disolve in a bottle of 35cl......d solublty of sugar is not dat much
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by iamdsam: 8:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
zynzyn: Good Good Post! I like coke 2 much partly because it is affordable. Though I dilute it with water often
What's the difference
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Ryda(m): 8:39pm On Sep 17, 2013
coke indeed
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by claremont(m): 8:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
When anything is consumed in excess for a prolonged period, it is bound to have side effects. The key message here is NOT avoidance, but rather, it should be moderation. It is not how long a man lives that matters, what truly matters is the impact of the life a man has lived on others.

I smoke, I drink alcohol and I sleep around. Moderation and knowing your limits is the key.

YOLO- You Only Live Once.

2 Likes

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by iamdsam: 8:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Bloody lies my kid brother drinks coke like anything and he his so slim
Diabetes is waiting for him
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by tomzman: 8:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
Quite educative Op. I'm working on my coke intake . I think the last time I took it was a month ago or so. My target which I've met is at most 2 bottles a month.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by desiretom(f): 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
Not afraid, only takes a bottle of coke once in every six months! tongue
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by deejay717(f): 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
Lmao noo but now I'm gonna try it
druid06: Is it just me but does anyone else adds a little salt to 7up to get that bitter-sweet taste?
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by desiretom(f): 8:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
iamdsam: What's the difference

Same thing, no difference!

1 Like

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by kuzekuze(m): 8:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
I think this article on soft drink is highly relevant:
http://
www.wiloludjournal.com
/ojs/index.php/
cjBioMed/article/
view/1214
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by kuzekuze(m): 8:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
EFFECT OF GLUCOSE
CONTENTS OF
SELECTED SOFT
DRINKS ON PLASMA
GLUCOSE LEVEL OF
ADOLESCENT HEALTHY
NIGERIAN SUBJECTS

O.O. Olaniyan, I.A.
Adeleke, O.G Adeosun

Abstract
Soft drink is a
carbonated water,
flavoured and
sweetened with either
sugar or sweetener.
The resulting glucose
solution in the human
body is the key source
of energy. Positive
associations between
soft drinks
consumption and
incidence of diabetes
have been postulated.
Thus, it is the aim of
this study to show the
effects of casual soft
drinks consumption on
glucose level of healthy
Nigerian individuals in
fasting and 2 hours
post-prandial. A total of
350 apparently healthy
individuals were
recruited for this study.
115 subjects (Group A)
were given a bottle of
Coca-Cola (Coke) each,
another 115 (Group B)
subjects were given a
bottle of Bitter Lemon
(Krest) each while the
remaining 120 subjects
(Group C) were given
75g of D-glucose in
300mL of distilled
water. Glucose
tolerance test (GTT)
was performed on all
the subjects and the
curve of glucose
concentration plotted
against time of sample
collection. GTT graph of
group A and B shows a
flat curve of enhanced
GTT while group C
shows a normal GTT
response graph. The
result however,
indicates that casual
consumption of soft
drinks did not
predispose to
development of
diabetes as it has no
significant effect on
plasma glucose and
renal threshold
concentration of
apparently healthy
individuals.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by ProfGday(m): 9:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
The poster of this info forgot that an African man is not an ordinary human being.A black man can drink 5 bottles of coke daily for 20years and nothing will happen to him or his health.Black man has so much immunes in their bodies that defies any scientific research or findings. So broz pack well,enjoy ur life while it last don't put urself under undue yoke of any long-pointed-nose scientists who tells u not to eat this or that.

I quickly raise a glass of coke in healthy cheers to Seun Osenwa and all d Nairalanders.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by pimplucious: 9:01pm On Sep 17, 2013
I really do wanna know. What happens when I drink 1 big bottle of guiness extra stout? I'm on my 2nd bottle now tho. cry

1 Like

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Samanta10(f): 9:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
hmmmm quite educative.nice post
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
I KNOW I KNOW
IF IT WONT KILL ME THEN IM ALL 4 IT
HECK EVEN IF IT KILLS ME THEN SO BE IT
A NIGGA'S GONNA DIE ANYWAY
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by skotch(m): 9:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
deols:

Dietary intake aren't usually a direct cause of illness. Most of the time, they cause a BUILD UP. In this case, taking so much sugar for a long time increases the adipose tissue(fat)..the blood takes in so much and the vessels become atherosclerotic (walls become lined with fat). They could clog the vessels or a part of it may break off(embolus) and travel through the blood stream.

along the cause of travelling, they may clog tinier blood vessels like those of the brain, leading to stroke

or those of the heart, causing Myocardial infarction ----> heart attack

etc

Many people are satisfied with keeping to their lifestyles as they don't see an immediate health risk.

But prevention is ALWAYS safer, less expensive and definitely better than cure.

Please are you a medical student?
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by saddler: 9:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
imperiouxx: 1) In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake) You don't immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.

2) 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
@OP...how is the bolded possible....sugar is stored primarly in the liver and kidney as glycogen...
the only way i see what you wrote happening is when pyruvate or PPP intermediate are converted to acetyl coA and then used for fatty acid synthesis.
my point here is that your excess sugar must first go to your muscles and liver.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Thank God for my life,I only drink Pepsi.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by ozaii: 9:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
Coke demand is high in the market y d confusion and contradition.please stop the agitation. I need a glass of chill coke pls.
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by imperiouxx(m): 9:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
eddiebruk: Every country has got their own recipe for the Coca Cola and quantity of its composition but her basic Chemicals are

H3PO4 (Phosphoric Acid)
C6H12O6 (Fructose)
CO2 (Carbon Dioxide)
C8H10N4O2 (Caffeine)

So this your Analysis is disturbing to the ordinary man, because if what you just copy pasted on here is what it really is, then half of the world should have been wiped out by now considering the high demand for their products. you should be talking about the composition of other strong drinks that has fast negative effect on the body system and not coke.

Do you care to know what warning is given in hospitals against drinking soda in Nigeria? In the US, majority of obesity, diabetes and hypertension are associated with soda. People who live healthy don't even take it or have stopped taking it here.

akino:

Hello, Before you post anything here always verify it.Firstly, coke does not contain phosphoric acid. You can verify this by checking the constituents of coke on its crown.You lack the knowledge of end product of rice,eba,yam,fufu,garri,starch,amala which you consume everyday without considering your daily dietery requirement. The sugar in coke is not different from what you find in all these foods.So why is coke the culprit. If you have been paid to do dirty marketing coke will be a bad market for you.if you want to know more about sugar content in coke please contact me.

What's this silly maggot saying? Coca cola is a trade mark for an international product. If I put something up means you and I are both in the same country or I'm a marketer? Silly fool. You're just talking shiit without having any clue of the shiit you spew about. I'm a biochemist, I know about daily dietary requirement better than you do. And who says coke contains no tetraoxophosphate (V) acid. Your brain must be having shortage of nervous impulses. Check if coke contains phosphoric acid or not here idiiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

I love taking on goats like you.

2 Likes

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Hunkyimage(m): 9:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
Julieccentric: it gives me migraine...i love coke though but one bottle equals almost two days of some excruciating head-breaking migraine..i intentionally avoid it.
My exact experience
Alomo tingz on ma mind...
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Wadosky(m): 9:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
the question is this,why cant nafdac as a regulatory body ban or try to impose some regulations on som3 of this drinks since the man in d village may not understand the everything u listed or d dangers from d daily consumption of coke.

1 Like

Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by VirginFinder: 9:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
I only drink coke/soft drinks where freely available. cool
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by ABRlink(m): 9:50pm On Sep 17, 2013
Pure nonsense being spilled here abt coke. I guess dis is d return match of d la casera bleach talk
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Boll2010: 9:53pm On Sep 17, 2013
Emmadani: *hissis*i tot it was the other coke.
weyrey u one smoke Y u no cut near by grass n dry awpawpaw leaf grind to geda or na dry cocoyam leaf wrap am 4 wrisler n pipe dey go grin grin
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Boll2010: 9:57pm On Sep 17, 2013
Afritop: Mod your write up is too complicated
mad_an na mod dey write d topic wey u seegringrin I gez d poster is d one regulatn
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by imperiouxx(m): 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
saddler:
@OP...how is the bolded possible....sugar is stored primarly in the liver and kidney as glycogen...
the only way i see what you wrote happening is when pyruvate or PPP intermediate are converted to acetyl coA and then used for fatty acid synthesis.
my point here is that your excess sugar must first go to your muscles and liver.

What level are you in Biochemistry? I guess you haven't taken advanced Biochem, so wait till then you'll know what this is all about. Insulin outburst occurs when the blood sugar level is high, and insulin facilitates cellular uptake of sugar by stimulating gluconeogensis in the liver and skeletal muscles rather than glycolysis (in all somatic cells) you know about.

Glycogen you referred to is a complex sugar in the human body stored in the liver and in muscles. Out burst stimulation of insulin from the beta Islet of Langerhans (reverse of alpha Islet of Langerhans which secretes glucagon that increases blood sugar) in the pancrease reduces the sugar level by stimulating glycogen formation (there is limit to this though) and consistent exposure to much sugars and ageing reduce the function of this pancreatic cells and eventually the results is diabetes mellitus.

Oooops! I only posted a health thread, never knew it's gonna hit the frontpage and people started querying me. Na wa for Naija guys ooo.

FYI: I'm a Biochemist who is actively into Biomedical research. You can bring more of your questions about carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids...... I'm ready for you!
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by rill: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nothing beats my "jedi"....
*oya iya sunday, pass me one cup abeg*
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Boll2010: 10:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
Julieccentric:

Try to observe yourself dear, for me anything that has caffeine is a No No including paracetamol, exposure to sunlight, noise, excess light, petrol smell, squinting my eyes(I had to increase my font on my phone and pc to extra large, really terrible), pepperish foods esp late, wearing heels for too long, and most especially a day to my monthly flow.
are u related To charles olumo Alias agbako .......google is ur frnd to knw who bears dat name grin
Mgt
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by saddler: 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
imperiouxx:

What level are you in Biochemistry? I guess you haven't taken advanced Biochem, so wait till then you'll know what is all about. Insulin outburst occurs when the blood sugar level is high, and insulin facilitates cellular uptake of sugar by stimulating gluconogensis in the liver and skeletal muscles rather than glycolysis you know about.

Glycogen you referred to is a complex sugar in the human body stored in the liver and in muscles. Out burst stimulation of insulin from the beta Islet of Langerhans (reverse of alpha Islet of Langerhans which secretes glucagon that increases blood sugar) in the pancrease reduces the sugar level by stimulating
my friend read before writing out of point.I just asked a simple question "how is sugar/glucose/carbohydrate converted to fat/fatty acids when i drink a bottle of coke?
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by Boll2010: 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
pimp_lucious :
I really do wanna know. What happens when I drink 1 big bottle of guiness extra stout? I'm on my 2nd bottle now tho. cry
it wil only mak u colect more bottles, get u high.........colect some notes in ur wallet.......n mak u feel much more proud cuz u are damagin ur womb#sacarsm grin
Re: What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes by chiketee(m): 10:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
Was I the only one who thought the article was about cocaine. I was Wtf. Didn't know cocaine contained so much sugar in it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Am A Human Chimera / 5 Foods In Nigeria That You Should Avoid Eating As Much As Possible / 91 New Cases Of COVID-19 Reported, Total 1273, 239 Discharged, 40 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.