Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,529 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / . (4703 Views)

For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 / How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by ideepaul: 8:24pm On Jul 18, 2014
willise2n: ur case is simple,at least u r alive wit complete 2-hands,2-legs and a full brain to have options...am jst saying dt ur case is nt d worst situation on earth and all is not lost. d problem we hv in dis country is dt we believe so much in certificate and connection so all dis companies hv closed opportunity to d best talents dey can harness in d name of class-of-degree,dt is why someone like u wit good technical skills ll nt hv a chance in a company like HP,Samsung,NNPC,Chams,etc bc of 3rd class while someone who's uncle is a senator or someone wit a 2-1 who cnt join wire ll be employed and den wen dey cnt perform,d Company ll contract jobs to foreign companies even wen dey hv a technical department. Okay ur solution: dis is wat i advice; start ur electronics bizness no matter hw small and begin earning some money...sit for waec and jamb and go for degree in d course of ur talent to back u up... as u make some money get specialized and technical certifications,setup ur firm/company and source for bizness opportunities... wen u graduate u can nw either look for a job using ur bizness experience and hands-on skill(and u ll surely find) or u go for ur masters if ur bizness/company is successful,NB if u r older than a specific age like 30,dnt let it worry u,jst register a younger age in ur waec and jamb and go to court or oluwole(if u r in d lagos area) and get ur football age,dis is nigeria its allowed,all d footballers and politicians we worship r using football age... Its not compulsory to waste time completing ur 3rd-class degree,use dt time n read for ur waec and jamb or focus on ur bizness,bt if u care or ur parents/sponsors dnt mind u can complete it,depends on ur situation... My Broda have no fear,life is bigger than wat u think,u can still get to d top,all is not lost.
this is what they said,except that they expected me to finish one first...but warned me about capita for business and school since I am planning to the b.eng in elect/elect engineering in a school outside my state.
Re: . by ideepaul: 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2014
can anyone tell me the best three universities for elect/elect in Nigeria in terms of practicals and which scholarship packages are available for engineering and how to qualify for them
Re: . by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 18, 2014
tokaiki:

Don't allow your potential 3rd class grade to define you or your future. I will advice you enroll for a pgd and you'"ll be fine. It is a shame most firms in nigeria don't value third class but there are options in some private firms or civil service if you crave for a blue collar job. Keep your head up. It's not the end of the world.

It is everywhere bro. What is there to value in 3rd class? OP, just build yourself and explore other options such as entrepreneurship.

1 Like

Re: . by rattlesnake(m): 9:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
U can't study elect u will just faint....
Re: . by ideepaul: 9:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
what will make me faint?i need little more explanation!
i think making 7 A's and 2B's in a social/humanity field is more difficult...my prob is that of lack of commitment during my first 3 semesters at skl
Re: . by tokaiki: 9:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
calebo101:

It is everywhere bro. What is there to value in 3rd class? OP, just build yourself and explore other options such as entrepreneurship.

It's not everywhere. In some part of the world you can get a good job with a 3rd class. Even here in nigeria I have seen quite a number of 3rdies securing good jobs. Don't make it seem like it's the end of the world.
Re: . by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
@Op from someone who has a bsc and almost through with an msc in elect elect eng. please do not enroll for elect eng. I repeat do not enroll for elect eng. I know you love the discipline but believe me you will wish you took to my advice after you are in.

I am not trying to scare you. The truth is that elect eng. is one of the most diffucult disciplines out there.
Re: . by ideepaul: 11:15pm On Jul 18, 2014
Guitarlife: @Op from someone who has a bsc and almost through with an msc in elect elect eng. please do not enroll for elect eng. I repeat do not enroll for elect eng. I know you love the discipline but believe me you will wish you took to my advice after you are in.

I am not trying to scare you. The truth is that elect eng. is one of the most diffucult disciplines out there.
what of computer engineering?
Re: . by ideepaul: 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
I just wish anyone with foreknowledge of how elect/elect or com eng looks like would be kind enough to tell me the most challenging part of this courses
Re: . by yokiti: 11:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
Op, it is said that a bird at hand is worth more than twice of it in the bush.
Finish your geography degree, get your PGD and go for masters in Geographic Information system (GIS ) you can as well put in for Toprec if your geography degree is with regional planning option. By this, you would be better equipped. You should only go the engineering degree lif you so wish wish I think you might let go after GIS would have opened your eyes to so many opportunities.
Dont forget your business too.

1 Like

Re: . by ideepaul: 12:13am On Jul 19, 2014
everyone z talking about opportunities with GIS!and I keep asking where is the opportunity..most of my course matte want to do msc in GIS but not even can state clearly the gains
Re: . by ideepaul: 12:26am On Jul 19, 2014
can phone a and laptop repairs produce up to 5k per day?and where can I learn phone,laptop and TV repairs in lagos
Re: . by Otuabaroku: 5:36am On Jul 19, 2014
Hi ideepaul, I think you should complete this present course. While completing it,you can prepare and rewrite both waec and jamb again to pursue your dream course.

The reason you need to complete this course is to show what you have put in your 3 yrs + on already. Again, you never know, you can benefit from this present course in the future though seem worthless now because of 3rd class grade.

Concerning doing electrical and electronic engineering or computer engineering, It is not all about repairing phones and computers. The most important thing you need is physics and maths. You need them to do well in those two courses as you will be involved in designing as Computer or electrical eng.

So if you are convinced that you are good on those 2 subjects you can go ahead and study it in University. If not, you might be facing the same problem you are currently facing now mid way into the degree programme.

Best of luck while making your decision.

2 Likes

Re: . by kibo: 6:42am On Jul 19, 2014
Guitarlife: @Op from someone who has a bsc and almost through with an msc in elect elect eng. please do not enroll for elect eng. I repeat do not enroll for elect eng. I know you love the discipline but believe me you will wish you took to my advice after you are in.

Are you judging OP by how difficult it is or by his determination to succeed? @op its not difficult, its demanding. If you are good in maths, physics and futhermaths. Then its a viable option. There is no point exaggerating unnecessarily. Nothing is impossible, with proper time management and the right association, you would make it. Dont let anyone deter you from pursuing your dream because of how difficult they claim it is. I would advice you to consider the opinion below if you are considering a second degree in Elect Elect. It hits the nail at the head.

Otuabaroku:
Concerning doing electrical and electronic engineering or computer engineering, It is not all about repairing phones and computers. The most important thing you need is physics and maths. You need them to do well in those two courses as you will be involved in designing as Computer or electrical eng.
So if you are convinced that you are good on those 2 subjects you can go ahead and study it in University. If not, you might be facing the same problem you are currently facing now mid way into the degree programme.
Best of luck while making your decision.
Re: . by Sirisibor: 7:28am On Jul 19, 2014
ideepaul:
then the masters supercedes the effect of the 3rd class!wow
okay based on my knowledge asides 3rd class,what if u graduate wit a pass or certificate of attendance.can u still do PGD.
Re: . by Sirisibor: 7:30am On Jul 19, 2014
ideepaul:
then the masters supercedes the effect of the 3rd class!wow
bros no vxooo.based on my knowledge of 3rd class,what if you graduated with a pass or certificate of attendance.can PGD apply with those?
Re: . by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 19, 2014
So sorry for you. You must be sick of yourself like I was when am about to grad.

Had a Third in Geophysics. Was so confused about career prospects.

After service I was like what's next.

To the glory of God, I got a job in a consulting firm. The pay was way below the one suitable for a university grad.

Within six months, through hard work and dedication I was elevated above those I even met there. Past salaries adjusted as arrears to offsets meagre pay.

I still remember the day I told the MD I had a Third, he was like unbelievable, u an intelligent and brilliant fellow. And I thought I wasn't intelligent. Those lecturers made such of that.

Funny thing, those same lecturers are now reaching to me . Even met one on a project that I was a project officer. He was surprise at the respect accorded me.

So Op believe in yourself and identify the reasons for having a Third. Mine was that I wasn't that dedicated, proud of my academic ability, friends and putting business above academic. Going back to school soon.

Sorry for the long post.

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 19, 2014
kibo:

Are you judging OP by how difficult it is or by his determination to succeed? @op its not difficult, its demanding. If you are good in maths, physics and futhermaths. Then its a viable option. There is no point exaggerating unnecessarily. Nothing is impossible, with proper time management and the right association, you would make it. Dont let anyone deter you from pursuing your dream because of how difficult they claim it is. I would advice you to consider the opinion below if you are considering a second degree in Elect Elect. It hits the nail at the head.

am not judging. Did you study elect elect eng. ? I did and am advicing him based on my experiences. Why dont we wait for the opinions of other graduates of Elect. eng.
Re: . by Otuabaroku: 9:21am On Jul 19, 2014
kibo:

@Kibo, I do not intend to scare him or make Elect EElect look very difficult to do as I have been there before and I found it easy compared the course I did previously. I was simply letting him know what it takes to succeed in Elect Elect degree not only possessing repairing electronic or computer gadgets skills.
Re: . by MaziOmenuko: 9:24am On Jul 19, 2014
Op, you're just turning 21, there's a whole lot of years ahead of you and you have time to correct your mistakes. I will advice you enroll for ssce and get your papers in one sitting, enroll for UME exam for another course after you MUST have completed this one.

Please, don't go for an Engineering course! I have my reasons for that. Computer sc will be fine as you seem to like something practical.

There's an option for PGD and then MSC, but if you tow this path, it will take you almost same 4 years to complete due to one delay or the other. And you will need to complete your NYSC before enrolling for pgd. If you buy ssce form and ume form for next year, you'll probably get admitted when u're 22, finish your 4 year program when u're 26 and still have time for NYSC.

I'm aware that there are cases where a 3rd class graduate gets good job and excels; but that's just one in 99 cases. The labor market is already populated and employees are looking for avenues to throw away your application. Self employment is okk, but at 21, you will need a miracle to get the capital needed for that.

Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: . by tunnyl(m): 10:08am On Jul 19, 2014
ideepaul: I am a potential 3rd class graduate of geography(grad by April or may 2015). I'm not blaming anyone for my mistakes...I have learn a lot from those experiences (not for today)
I am planning to follow my heart and instinct,but also know someone can give that little advice that can change everything
these are some of my plans
- Tell my parent about the present condition of my academics(done)
- suspend this semester for the sake of planning about me(about to be done)
- start up a temporal phone repairs shop.this is my childhood plan and this talent has been recognized by many in my department (not done)
- get my WASSCE in a sitting by April 2015(not done)
-apply for admission into Computer science,
Computer engineering or elect/elect enginnering or any hardwares related course you can advice by 2016(not done)
- Go to Lagos to learn phone and LCD repairs this year
- I am also considering photography because people say I can snap well but have not gone for any training in photography or photo editing(the part I fear the most)
I would highly appreciate your comments,reservations or objections to any of these goals.. God bless for your Lil time

Wow we share the same or predicament. This is something i would have asked last year only that i have graduated already. Do i feel sober for graduating with third class?. yup! kinda, but when excess thinking and the things i have taken into my system for the sake of trying to avoid third class by all means while i was in school (which was impossible doh) landed me in the sick bed for weeks, i stopped thinking and focused on solutions. Just like you:

-- I informed my parent while i was in 300level. I got Just few mockery and funny abuses and dats all. So do that now bfore its too late.

--luckily for me Assu strike came along and i didnt have to suspend my 400 level second semester. I had enough time to plan for my life though i am still tryna figure out what i truly love rather than speculating and trying every talent i gat. I prayed a lot for wisdom and most of all a retentive memory (my problem). By the end of the strke i realy improved and did very well but it was too late doh. Do not suspend any semester just pray and mmeet with the intelligent ones in your department

-- About the phone repair thing. If thats what you truly wanna do, go and do it. I was told i had the same talent too, to me its just a vague passion and i figured out i wasnt that good in that aspect. And also i discovered that what i love about phone wasnt the hardware but softwares (O.S). So i will prefer to specify on software development. advice take your time to figure out what you realy good Because you are still young and can learn whatever you wanna.

--wow! another wasce, and another jamb in another course. i admire your courage and persistence. Before you do that please try to discover what your problem is, i mean what got you into the third class mess and then you are free to study another course. Because if you dont, you might end up with another one o. or better yet seek advise from stident affairs in your school. And did you know that contrary to general speculations, you can do masters with a third class deree you just gotta do a 1 year post graduate depending on the course and school.

And photography, i was told the same thing, that i am good at taking pictures, even my lil sister could do that with two days training so dats no justification to learn photography. and You just gotta learn photo editting no matter how scared you are, if thats what you realy wanna Do for a living. cuz thats what will differentiate you from the other photographers.

Am currently awaiting NYSC posting and hope to get posted to a land of grace and abundant opportunity where i can showcase, explore and stretch my potential.

Good luck mehn and may God grant you wisdom to make the right choice.

2 Likes

Re: . by tpraiz(m): 10:45am On Jul 19, 2014
A̶̲̥̅m in engineering bt nt yet a graduate*Agric engineering to be precise*...... bt my dept en elect.elect did some courses 2geda in my First en second year,even til nw,course like Maths en co...........its reli gwed u want †ø̲̣̣̥ study elect.elect, bt most universities in 9ja are nt practically minded,instead based on theories.........U go solve Maths, thevenise circuits til ur brians weak.......
Cwiously Bro u can do bt, u Need to b very sound in Maths,electrical circuits en analysis even in technical drawing.........gwed luck*
Re: . by tetralogyfallot(m): 11:24am On Jul 19, 2014
Elevation: U wrote potential 3* general.....but is ur cgpa so low that u cant hit first class gp to enter 2.4cgpa? Since u still av a session, Dont give up,if ya dont mind u can write the cgpa..
best advice so far
Re: . by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2014
I have a question. Can 1 use a 2012 waec result (1 sitting) in 2015?
Re: . by kibo: 1:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
Otuabaroku:
@Kibo, I do not intend to scare him or make Elect EElect look very difficult to do as I have been there before and I found it easy compared the course I did previously. I was simply letting him know what it takes to succeed in Elect Elect degree not only possessing repairing electronic or computer gadgets skills.

I wasnt referring to you, i was actually telling him to take your advice...if u notice my quote, i told him to take the one below. It was the one above i was against.
Re: . by kibo: 1:54pm On Jul 19, 2014
Guitarlife: am not judging. Did you study elect elect eng. ? I did and am advicing him based on my experiences. Why dont we wait for the opinions of other graduates of Elect. eng.

Bro... you are not the only one dat studied Elect. Elect. You were not advicing him, you were telling him he could not do it. When you advice someone in this context, you tell him the pros, cons and requirements involved in taking a particular decision, not because it is difficult. You dont doubt the persons ability, rather you tell him what he has to do to succeed.
Re: . by utenwuson: 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2014
Bro I feel wat u feeling ryt now.....wen I see all ds advice , I felt there ar all referring 2 me! Mine s basically due 2 ill health n was caution 2 defer but wouldn't listen cos I really wanna graduate! N now m in my final semester wt a CGPA of 2.32 though I can stl get to 2.2 as advise by my exam officer! But u knw wat? Av goten a job wt my state n I earn close to 30k per month wt my O-level. So after am tru, even if its 'pass', I ll jst put it n get upgraded n am gud 2 get married! Bro I knw soooo many people wt 3rd class dt re doing gr8! Jst "DESTINY" its real! So calm down n watch ur destiny unfold......all my 1st class/2nd class upper frns respect me cos I pay their bills n I don't go close 2 them during exams!

1 Like

Re: . by sambas: 5:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
ideepaul: can anyone tell me the best three universities for elect/elect in Nigeria in terms of practicals and which scholarship packages are available for engineering and how to qualify for them
If you can not pass Ordinary Geoplaning, na elect/elect u won pass?
Re: . by Elevation(m): 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2014
Bimsie are u Bimpe, Estate management 4rm a varsity in great i.e?
Re: . by Elevation(m): 5:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
sambas: If you can not pass Ordinary Geoplaning, na elect/elect u won pass?
Ogbeni e no mean,the guy stated earlier that he's undergoing some further maths and physics tutoring..so it doesnt matter once he's determined.
Re: . by DarkFive: 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2014
Most important is that you have learnt the HARD WAY. Now the bitter truth is that there's little dat degree can do for you.
So please the only option is to re-do another degree hopefully by His Grace,& with your experience u could even make a 1st class & ditch this degree.

If I were you, go in for a simple course,maybe English or any social science,cuz at the end what matters is that you have a degree and good grade.

NOTE: a masters would not Boost your third class, so do the right thing
Re: . by tokaiki: 6:42pm On Jul 19, 2014
Zedric: I have a question. Can 1 use a 2012 waec result (1 sitting) in 2015?

If i understand you at all. You are asking if you can use your 2012 waec result in 2015. If yes then the answer to your question is a yes. Your waec result is valid for life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Random Images That Could Alter Your Belief/mind/thought / ASUU Postpones NEC Meeting As Former President, Festus Iyayi Dies In Auto Crash / See What I Received On My Phone With jamb as sender (with screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.