Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,201 members, 7,953,742 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:32 AM

Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States (6398 Views)

2004 And 2005 Toyota Corollas / 2004 Toyota Corollas Available For Sale - N1.5m / Tokunbo And Nigerian Used Toyota Corollas (Sold) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by jpphilips(m): 11:17am On Nov 05, 2008
Ive come to realise that most toyota corollas manufactured between 2003 to 2009 in Africa re not the same with those in the states,
its obvious that the ones that come from the states were manufactured in both canada and the united states,
then i ask; where does the likes of Elizade and Globe motors get those scraps they sell in Nigeria.
i ve also come to the know that the SPECS re quite different and durability is highly compromised,
the brake pads and shock wear off so easily,

pls those versions i see in Naija, where are they manufactured?
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by inspiredm(m): 11:53am On Nov 05, 2008
jp philips:

Ive come to realise that most toyota corollas manufactured between 2003 to 2009 in Africa re not the same with those in the states,
its obvious that the ones that come from the states were manufactured in both canada and the united states,
then i ask; where does the likes of Elizade and Globe motors get those scraps they sell in Nigeria.
i ve also come to the know that the SPECS re quite different and durability is highly compromised,
the brake pads and shock wear off so easily,

please those versions i see in Naija, where are they manufactured?

The 2002 - 2008 Nigerian Specs are different from the US & Canada Specs, However the 2009 Toyota Corolla have the same Exterior and Interior Designs with both the US, Canada & the Nigerian Specs

The Nigerians Specs are Manufactured in South Africa, The Nigerian Auto Big wigs request for Lower Cost of Production hence removing Most Safety Options, No Airbags, No Cruise Controls, No ABS, 14 inch Rims instead of the Standard 15 inch and several other Options are Eliminated hence the Low Cost of Productions.
They replaced the LE, CE, S Models with GLi, XLi etc.

The Nigerian Specs are Empty Junks yet Several Multinationals Troop to buy them because an Average Nigerian is Ignorant about Options as long as its Wrapped as "Tear Rubber" cool cool

Its an Absolute Rip Off, They come with Lame excuses of them being tropicalised for the African region, and No Safety Specifications are Provided.

1 Like

Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by jpphilips(m): 10:57am On Nov 06, 2008
The 2002 - 2008 Nigerian Specs are different from the US & Canada Specs, However the 2009 Toyota Corolla have the same Exterior and Interior Designs with both the US, Canada & the Nigerian Specs

The Nigerians Specs are Manufactured in South Africa, The Nigerian Auto Big wigs request for Lower Cost of Production hence removing Most Safety Options, No Airbags, No Cruise Controls, No ABS, 14 inch Rims instead of the Standard 15 inch and several other Options are Eliminated hence the Low Cost of Productions.

The Nigerian Specs are Empty Junks yet Several Multinationals Troop to buy them because an Average Nigerian is Ignorant about Options as long as its Wrapped as "Tear Rubber" Cool Cool

Its an Absolute Rip Off, They come with Lame excuses of them being tropicalised for the African region, and No Safety Specifications are Provided.

yes i quite agree with you in respect of options cos in 2005, i never saw the XRS option of corolla in Nigeria. only the GLI, XLI rubbish that i dont know where they brought them from,
anyways, about the airbag thing, i know they do not compromise on them but im sure their efficiency will be questionable,
another irony is the price difference, the American options come more rugged with more features yet less expensive than those Naija scraps.

if you re very sure of the South thing, why then do they have most of their inscriptions in Arabia, like notification on the mirrors and others?
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by igwe11(m): 11:28am On Nov 06, 2008
jp philips:

yes i quite agree with you in respect of options because in 2005, i never saw the XRS option of corolla in Nigeria. only the GLI, XLI rubbish that i don't know where they brought them from,
anyways, about the airbag thing, i know they do not compromise on them but I'm sure their efficiency will be questionable,
another irony is the price difference, the American options come more rugged with more features yet less expensive than those Naija scraps.

[b]if you re very sure of the South thing, why then do they have most of their inscriptions in Arabia, like notification on the mirrors and others?
[/b]

I guess they were built in south for Arabians not for Naija but how they got into the country i don't know!!! lol
grin grin grin grin
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by sojioguns(m): 12:26pm On Nov 06, 2008
I feel your pain. The toyota Corolla and Yaris cars made for Toyota Nigeria are substandard but the Camry is up to par oh! My major complaint with brand new Toyota cars here is the price. My gosh! They are too pricey. I mean almost N4million for a crappy 08 corolla with only about 2 airbags and no cruise control? Nah!! American specs rule baby!
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by jpphilips(m): 11:50am On Nov 10, 2008
I feel your pain. The toyota Corolla and Yaris cars made for Toyota Nigeria are substandard but the Camry is up to par oh! My major complaint with brand new Toyota cars here is the price. My gosh! They are too pricey. I mean almost N4million for a crappy 08 corolla with only about 2 airbags and no cruise control? Nah!! American specs rule baby!

in other words, the likes of elizade should go fu*k their mama
cos they have got the wrong Good for the right market,
i still wonder what extra cost they will incur bringing their consignment from US
abi dey no give am visa?
if individuals do so on retail basis, muchless a big wig
SON should wake up to their responsibilities fast!!!!!!!
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by GoldCircle: 2:03pm On Nov 10, 2008
inspired_m:

The Nigerian Specs are Empty Junks yet Several Multinationals Troop to buy them because an Average Nigerian is Ignorant about Options as long as its Wrapped as "Tear Rubber" cool cool

I don't quite agree with you here! what do you mean empty junk?? Anyways, I'll rather buy a car I know is new and certified ok with warranty than buy a tsunamied car or a hurricaned car! wetin I wan use options do? I dey chop cruise control??By the way, who tell you say Nigerian spec no dey carry airbag??so make multi nationals begin buy 'tokunbo" cars abi? na you get sense pass all of them!
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by adeyemik: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2008
IT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE THAT NIGERIA IS A DUMPING GROUND FOR MANNERS OF SUB-STANDARD PRODUCTS RANGING FROM CARS, SHOES, CLOTHES, PHONES, EDIBLES, NAME IT. NIGERIA RANKS FIRST IN THE LIST OF ROAD CASUALTIES RESULTING IN DEATHS, SIMPLY BECAUSE THERE IS NO STANDARD SPECIFIED FOR THE CARS IMPORTED BY BIG AUTO DEALERS INTO THE COUNTRY, WHERE GAIN IS TRADED FOR SAFETY.

HOW DOES ONE EXPLAIN A SITUATION WHERE A 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY, 2000 MITSUBISHI GALANT AND HONDA 2000, ALL AMERICAN SPECS COMES WITH 2 AIRBAGS WITH SOME HAVING FOUR AIRBAGS; WHILE [i[b]]A SOUTH AFRICA ASSEMBLED 2007 TOYOTA COROLLA COMES WITH TWO AIRBAGS AND SIMILAR MODEL IN THE US HAVING MINIMUM OF FOUR AIRBAGS?[/i[/b]] OR HOW CAN ONE EXPLAIN WHY A FULLY LOADED AMERICAN SPECS CAR WITH MAXIMUM SAFETY FEATURES COST LESS OR AT PAR WITH THE JUNKS ASSEMBLED IN SOUTH AFRICA AND SOLD IN NIGERIA?

IT IS NEVER THE AUTO DEALERS FAULT, IT IS BECAUSE WE HAVE SUB-STANDARD PEOPLE AT THE HELMS OF AFFAIRS.
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by sojioguns(m): 12:37pm On Nov 11, 2008
The issue of options in cars made for our region cannot be over emphasized. I believe that at first the reps in our country were trying to maximise profit and thought we didnt need such options, not knowing that there would be a boom in the importation of well equipped cars by individuals. Now they have to buckle up.
THE TRUTH IS THAT UNTIL YOU ARE A BRAND NEW CAR DEALER YOURSELF, YOU CANNOT KNOW WHAT GOES DOWN IN THOSE 'MEETINGS'. I have even heard rumours that the Toyota Nigeria dealers get the cars (Corolla to be precise) at a ridiculous price of about N1.2m from the factory. I don't know oh!
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by jpphilips(m): 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2008
@ gold circle

I don't quite agree with you here! what do you mean empty junk?? Anyways, I'll rather buy a car I know is new and certified ok with warranty than buy a tsunamied car or a hurricaned car! wetin I wan use options do? I dey chop cruise control??By the way, who tell you say Nigerian spec no dey carry airbag??so make multi nationals begin buy 'tokunbo" cars abi? na you get sense pass all of them!

you will always know a kid by his actions,

Goldcircle, sorry to get a little personal with you,

DO U OWN A CAR?
DO U INTEND TO BUY ONE IN THE NEAREST FUTURE?
if the Answers are NO, then there are a lot in the Auto world that will forever remain an enigma to you

if the answer to the question is YES,then i will like you to look beyond your nose and understand y an Average Nigerian wants to travel abroad,
reason; STANDARD OF LIVING

do you know dat just a few policies here and there will give u a positive turn around in this country?
the fact that you are oblivious of events around u only makes you ingenuous but not asinine
re you indirectly telling the house that if by chance you re elected the president of Naija (GOD FORBID) you will give SON (standard organization of Nigeria) a pass? u wont have any reason whatsoever to reform SON?

SON has failed Nigerians woefully; just not long ago, the american Government had cause to order the chinese Government to call back tonns of substandard imports ranging from toothpaste,toys, pet foods etc.

now tell me, if it were in Naija, who even cares to check the standard of their imports. Not until a particular product wipes away 2/3rd of the Entire populace will u hear the Government running helter-skelter to profer an un existing solution.

Everyday on CNN, you see where Lagos has been rebranded from the commercial capital of Naija to the "COMMERCIAL ELECTRONICS DUMP SITE OF THE WORLD"

It goes beyond Cars, to drugs, clothings to every consumable in Naija. is it not normal these dayz for one to visit a grocery store with out hearing this one is the original while this one is the china or Taiwan.

don't you know the meaning of "STANDARD OF LIVING"?
transcends your economic status quo, luxury you can afford and availability of items.
it still encompasses the VALUE for that your money that you are spending.

how do u rationalize the fact that is only in Naija that an Airline operator travels abroad to acquire outdated,refurbished artefacts in the name of
aircrafts and still make you pay through the nose if he renders his service?

still on that, how do you rationalize the fact that most Airline operators in Naija will charge you more than 25k ($215) just to fly you from Lagos to PH Airforce Base in a DASH 8 aircraft that is not different from a hand glinder which im sure such aircrafts will not pass for a FARM PLANE in Europe or America for less than a 45mins journey.

the count is endless, the Earlier you understand that SON has failed us the better for you.

is your kind of people that the western society voted the most resilient country in the world where people suffer and smile, mix pleasure with pressure where out of your hard work u provide yourself with all basic infastructures, build your own house without Mortgage loan, secure it to an extent by erecting perimeter fencing cos no police, sink your borehole cos no water, buy and fuel Generators cos no light, incure medical expenses which of course is

a fallout of pollution without an effective health care insurance package yet the road that leads from ur house to where u get ur daily bread is untarred. what a country? where even the rich are poor in spirit of course they also cry in Naija.

who told you that options in cars don't matter?

don't you know that in 2005 when you were paying 3.6m for those dead corolla XLI options in Nigeria, that your mates in America re buying the XRS and LE options, outside the fact that the LE had a little luxury it was far less pricey than those scraps, not eluding the fact that it came with a powerful 1.8l engine that produces 172 horsepower while your TOY could hardly boast of 130hp and you tell me it doesn't matter?

re u still telling me that you dont know that the CE option of camry is more fuel Economical than the XLE V6 option while the later Enjoys more luxury and couthness than the former, same is applicable to all cars which is a function of their prices?
and you say option doesn't matter?

u said and i quote

I dey chop cruise control??

re u really asking a question or you re just exercising your Anonymous freedom of speech bestowed on you from the ANIMAL KINGDOM? is that the only difference you could find?

u said and i quote

I'll rather buy a car I know is new and certified ok with warranty than buy a tsunamied car or a hurricaned car! wetin I wan use options do

The scraps you buy in Nigeria, who certifies them? an African country dat is as hungry as yours will certify an Export vehicle, on what grounds? abi on whose account?
when they re grateful you have taken their burden Away.
Or you think that America is Naija that has license papers for smuggled goods dats y u think an average American will sell a disaster car without proper certification abi?

sometimes i wonder how long it will take people like you to make contact with Reality
I CURSE THE DAY THAT LORD LUGARD AND HIS WIFE PROPOUDED THE NAME ''NIGER AREA''

1 Like

Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by GoldCircle: 6:04pm On Nov 13, 2008
Silence is the best answer for a beast like you! I know there is absolutely no reason to join issues with you here. Ignorant gay!

1 Like

Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by promise72(m): 6:20pm On Nov 13, 2008
What happened? How did it get this far?

Relax everyone!
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by sojioguns(m): 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2008
Why is everybody being so dramatic? This issue is a personal one. Some Nigerians want to buy new cars because they promise 'warranty'. I don't care whether a car is brand new because I dont need any bloody warranty from a Nigerian company. Besides I am in love with cars with a lot of options. I dont mind how complex because by God's grace I can afford the maintenance. Even mileage shouldnt be an issue to people that share the same views like me because the difference between a 4 cylinder engine and a V6 for my kind of transportation is only a few thousand naira for more power when it is needed. If you want a new car, go for it. But I will stick with tokunbo because that is what i can afford now. Thank you all.
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by klas(m): 4:31pm On Nov 14, 2008
@ jp philips post #9 above

You made good points but spoiled the post by personalising it and using unnecessary strong language.
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by PAQ(m): 11:04am On May 17, 2018
Can anyone list the difference between a US 2011-2013 Corolla and SA Corolla? I heard they share different parts and some parts in the SA Corolla's are more costly. I own a 2011 US spec Corolla.

please i want to be enlightened not insulted.
Re: Between Brand New Toyota Corollas In Africa And That Of The States by ini4brandon(m): 5:47am On Apr 22
SA corollas debilitate faster. Their second hand value is not good.

(1) (Reply)

Sold Low Mileage (52,309miles) Toks Accord 2009 EXL ₦2,700,000 sold / 2005 Bmw X3 (registered) / ✔️Locally Used 2014 Mercedes-benz A180 For Sale In Lagos Mainland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.