Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

" FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" (3265 Views)

Pastor Chris Okotie's 57th Birthday Celebration In Pictures / TB Joshua's Birthday Celebration In South Africa (Photos) / Photos From Bishop Oyedepo's 60th Birthday Celebration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

" FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 9:30am On Sep 27, 2014
A reference work states about early christians" the notion of a birthday festival was far from the ideas of the Christians of this period in general" - THE HISTORY OF THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION AND CHURCH, DURING THE THREE FIRST CENTURIES ( New York 1848) Augustus Neander (translated By Henry John Rose)! P. 190 ..... I asked a friend of mine who professed to be a devoted christian dat " Can u show me from the Bible an example of a Man of God that celebrate his birthday? " do u know what he says ? He answered " actually none, mayb dey forget to record it and infact do we av to check d Bible for evrytin" ..... Can u imagine ? Anyway it will be addressed one by one Question 1: do any Man or servant of God celebrate his birthday in d Bible? NONE! Once again None ... Professed Christians ar u beginning to see? Question 2: Do they forget to mention it as my distractors claim? Not @ all , Actually Two are recorded! .... Nw open ur bible to Gen 40:20-22 , Av U? I will sumarise it, it was King Pharaohs Birthday
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 9:45am On Sep 27, 2014
Note: King Pharaoh is not a Man Of God but a PAGAN ..... Even dat day he commited murder! Rili? Murder during a birthday party! .... The second one recorded was King Herod Birthday Party; Note: King Herod is not a man of God But a PAGAN ... Am Callin U Out All Professed Christians , To Reason! Dont close ur bible yet! Lets read the account of Pagan King Herod Birthday in Matt 14:6-10 " when herods birthday was been celebrated" ! Let me sumarise , dat day his daughter dance so well and dis lead to the Killing of JOHN D BAPTIST! U min christians are still continuin a celebration dat led to d death of John D Baptist! Dats D Prove from d scriptures . 4 my trillion euro .. Will u, my listener lick a sweet picked from a dirty smellin gutter?If No, Y Join in celebratin birthday party which have a pagan origin? ... Hw will u feel if u see som1 lick a sweet from gutter? Disgusting ryt ..hw do u want God to view u from above ?? " the day of ones death is better than the day of birth" Ecclesiastes 7:1

1 Like

Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
Are u beginning to see the truth ??
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by paulGrundy(m): 6:26am On Oct 16, 2014
CANTICLES:
Note: King Pharaoh is not a Man Of God but a Pagan ..... Even dat day he commited murder! Rili? Murder during a birthday party! .... The second one recorded was King Herod Birthday Party; Note: King Herod is not a man of God But a PAGAN ... Am Callin U Out All Professed Christians , To Reason! Dont close ur bible yet! Lets read the account of Pagan King Herod Birthday in Matt 14:6-10 " when herods birthday was been celebrated" ! Let me sumarise , dat day his daughter dance so well and dis lead to the Killing of JOHN D BAPTIST! U min christians are still continuin a celebration dat led to d death of John D Baptist! Dats D Prove from d scriptures . 4 my trillion euro .. Will u, my listener lick a sweet picked from a dirty smellin gutter?If No, Y Join in celebratin birthday party which have a pagan origin? ... Hw will u feel if u see som1 lick a sweet from gutter? Disgusting ryt ..hw do u want God to view u from above ?? " the day of ones death is better than the day of birth" Ecclesiastes 7:1

Your thread is based on watchtower Jehovah's witness comments such as the following:

“The Bible reports only two birthday celebrations, both of persons who were not servants of the true God. The first was that of Pharaoh of Egypt. It was marked by the hanging of Pharaoh’s baker, who had been in prison with Joseph. … The second, some 1,800 years later, was the birthday of Herod Antipas [during which the daughter of Herodias asked for] ‘The head of John the baptizer.’ … Is it just coincidental that they are mentioned and that both were for persons not having God’s approval? Or could it be that Jehovah deliberately had these details recorded in his Word, which he says is “beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight”?” Watchtower 1980 Jul 15 pp.30-31

“Jehovah’s Witnesses take note that God’s Word reports unfavorably about birthday celebrations and so shun these.” Reasoning From the Scriptures pp.68-69

It is correct that two birthday parties are specifically mentioned in the Bible, neither was for worshippers of Jehovah, and someone was killed at both. However, murder has never been a common accomplice of the traditional birthday party, and the question to consider is whether these extreme examples are included as a warning against such celebrations. If the moral of these stories was against birthday celebrations, than the stories should end with the warning that birthdays are not for followers of God. Neither story makes such a statement, as this was not to purpose of these accounts.

Genesis 40:20-23 contains the account of Pharaoh’s birthday celebration, during which a baker was hanged. However, it was not the birthday, but the death of the baker that is key to the story, as it was in fulfillment of a prediction by Joseph, showing the prophetic ability of this follower of God. As a result, Joseph was called to interpret a dream of Pharaoh, and promoted to second in charge of Egypt. The story was included in the Bible to bring glory to the prophetic ability of God, with the birthday as incidental.

Matthew 14:6-10 and Mark 6:21 have the account of the second birthday celebration, held for Herod, during which Salome requested the beheading of John the Baptist. The inclusion in the Bible was not related to the birthday, but rather the importance of the death of John the Baptist to the formation of Early Christianity.

If we are to assume the inclusion of something bad in the Bible is to warn against such things, despite no statement to that affect, then endless more rules can be conjured. For example:

1.Dogs are mentioned in the Bible 40 times, and in every mention they are described disparagingly. They are said to be lowly and unclean, used as an allegory for sodomites (Deut 23:17,18), and said to be no part of the New System (Rev 22:15). Yet, the Watchtower does not conclude dogs are not for Christians.

2.Eye paint is mentioned twice, once in reference to wicked queen Jezebel (2 Kings 9:30) and secondly to apostate Israel (Jer 4:30), yet the Watchtower does not forbid eye makeup..The reasons you gave as to why birthday celebration is wrong has No scriptural basis.

Shalom smiley

8 Likes

Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 7:54am On Oct 16, 2014
Where did these one see "watchtower " in my 2 post , am I not speaking from the scriptures ?? Even proved further that NONE of God's servant did their birthdays EXCEPT THOSE TWO PAGANS MENTIONED !!! I wonder what watchtower have to do with dis pure facts
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by paulGrundy(m): 12:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
CANTICLES:
Where did these one see "watchtower " in my 2 post , am I not speaking from the scriptures ?? Even proved further that NONE of God's servant did their birthdays EXCEPT THOSE TWO PAGANS MENTIONED !!! I wonder what watchtower have to do with dis pure facts

Hello smiley
ONLY JEHOVAHS witnesses preach against birthday celebration, its a known fact. Just because the bible didn't speak about any Jehovahs servant who celebrated birthday, does not mean the bible forbids it. E.g the bible never spoke about any of Gods servant farming, does it mean farming is forbiden or wrong? No! Even witnesses are farmers.
Please can you show us proof that birthday celebration is of pagan origin?

3 Likes

Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 1:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
Paganism in action: violent beating, molesting and torturing the birthday celebrant .... Drunkeness at the parties, immorality at highest degree, using birthdays as a cover-up for sacrificial covenants to make people eat dirty foods ..!! Are All Characteristics Of Birthdays in our era
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2014
grin
Here is a translation the JW folks overlooked.

Psalm 2:7-9The Message (MSG)

7-9 Let me tell you what God said next.
He said, “You’re my son,
And today is your birthday.
What do you want? Name it:
Nations as a present? continents as a prize?
You can command them all to dance for you,
Or throw them out with tomorrow’s trash.”
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bidam:
grin
Here is a translation the JW folks overlooked.

Psalm 2:7-9The Message (MSG)

7-9 Let me tell you what God said next.
He said, “You’re my son,
And today is your birthday.
What do you want? Name it:
Nations as a present? continents as a prize?
You can command them all to dance for you,
Or throw them out with tomorrow’s trash.”

Bro, I respect the fact that you read different translations like i do too ... But to confirm the authenticity of this ur translation , Greek scripture writer Apostle Paul wrote this psalm 2:7 in HEBREW 5:5 saying: " so too , the Christ did not glorify himself by becomin a high priest, but was glorifies by the one who said to him you are my Son, today I have become your father." .... Thats what is written , "you are my son, today I Have become your father" not birthday, u can confirm other translations too!!!
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 17, 2014
CANTICLES:
Bro, I respect the fact that you read different translations like i do too ... But to confirm the authenticity of this ur translation , Greek scripture writer Apostle Paul wrote this psalm 2:7 in HEBREW 5:5 saying: " so too , the Christ did not glorify himself by becomin a high priest, but was glorifies by the one who said to him you are my Son, today I have become your father." .... Thats what is written , "you are my son, today I Have become your father" not birthday, u can confirm other translations too!!!
Use your brain. When a son is born TODAY he automatically has a Father..in this case today is His birthday.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2014
paulGrundy:

E.g the bible never spoke about any of Gods servant farming, does it mean farming is forbiden or wrong? No! Even witnesses are farmers.
U know I always tell you , you dont know d scripture ....so somtimes, i wuld av appreciate it if u just kept quiet ! Who told u d Bible never spoke about any of God's servant farming ?? U tink uv made a reasonable point and u startin forming around with such a lie , #smiles# here in Genesis 9:20 we read " Now Noah started off as a farmer, and he planted a vineyard" !!!! Started off as what? Can u see u need some serious mind programming , i just smile at u
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 7:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bidam:
Use your brain. When a son is born TODAY he automatically has a Father..in this case today is His birthday.
.... So did he started celebrating it yearly as the pagans King Herod and King Pharaoh ?? Can u show d scripture dats says Jesus celebrate his day of birth in imitation of dis pagans?? Bro, to show the seriousness of dis matter, Christ neva told his disciples to celebrate his birthday BUT ONLY TOLD THEM TO REMEMBER THE SIGNIFICANCE OF HIS DEATH !!! INdeed " the day of one's death is better than the days of one's birth" says God'sword In Ecclesistes 7:1
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2014
CANTICLES:
.... So did he started celebrating it yearly as the pagans King Herod and King Pharaoh ?? Can u show d scripture dats says Jesus celebrate his day of birth in imitation of dis pagans?? Bro, to show the seriousness of dis matter, Christ neva told his disciples to celebrate his birthday BUT ONLY TOLD THEM TO REMEMBER THE SIGNIFICANCE OF HIS DEATH !!! INdeed " the day of one's death is better than the days of one's birth" says God'sword In Ecclesistes 7:1
So do you now agree with the MSG translation? Let's start from there.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bidam:
So do you now agree with the MSG translation? Let's start from there.
Its Not Correct .... Apostle Paul states what is written clearly in Psalm 2:7 Clearly In Hebrews 5:5 !!! Everyone is born on a particular date, But the idea of Celebrating it on a yearly basis is bought from Pagans NOT Christianly

1 Like

Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2014
CANTICLES:
Its Not Correct .... Apostle Paul states what is written clearly in Psalm 2:7 Clearly In Hebrews 5:5 !!! Everyone is born on a particular date, But the idea of Celebrating it on a yearly basis is bought from Pagans NOT Christianly
Never mind! Can you show us in scripture where it is a sin to celebrate someones birthday?
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 8:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bidam:
Never mind! Can you show us in scripture where it is a sin to celebrate someones birthday?
you wanna use a Smoker's tactic of claimin innocence , dey will say : " show me the scripture that says Smoking Cigarette is a sin??" ..... But u are failing to realize that there are many times in our decisions in life that we need to " Reasoned from the scriptures" Act 17:2 By doing this , many religions av now abandoned the custom of celebrating Christ birthday on Dec 25, Reasearch also indicate its from a pagan source of the roman sun-god!!! As its clearly showed that only pagan kings celebrate their individual birthdays in d scriptures
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
CANTICLES:
you wanna use a Smoker's tactic of claimin innocence , dey will say : " show me the scripture that says Smoking Cigarette is a sin??" .....
This analogy doesn't quite follow if we are to use logic, smoking is harmful, celebrating someone's birthday isn't harmful.
But u are failing to realize that there are many times in our decisions in life that we need to " Reasoned from the scriptures" Act 17:2 By doing this , many religions av now abandoned the custom of celebrating christ birthday on Dec 25, Reasearch also indicate its from a pagan source of the roman sun-god!!! As its clearly showed that only pagan kings celebrate their individual birthdays in d scriptures
This is your problem not Christian problems, atleast you read where Paul said eating meat sacrificed to idols is not a sin,( 1 cor 10:25). There is LIBERTY IN CHRIST. If you want to follow judaism you tell us now since we know you to be a gentile(pagan) too.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 9:31pm On Oct 17, 2014
A Practice Common to the egyptians , Even that of Pharaoh was recorded , neva forget this instruction " you must not behave as they do in the land of Egypt .... And you must not walk in their statutes" lev 18:3 !!!!
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
CANTICLES:
A Practice Common to the egyptians , Even that of Pharaoh was recorded , neva forget this instruction " you must not behave as they do in the land of Egypt .... And you must not walk in their statutes" lev 18:3 !!!!
OT was written for you it wasn't written TO YOU..do well to read the OT in the LIGHT of the the NT. What did Paul has to say to the corinthians..Read and learn..no where in the NT scripture that says having birthday is sin..I DOULBE DARE YOU TO SHOW ME.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bidam:
OT was written for you it wasn't written TO YOU..do well to read the OT in the LIGHT of the the NT. What did Paul has to say to the corinthians..Read and learn..no where in the NT scripture that says having birthday is sin..I DOULBE DARE YOU TO SHOW ME.
, Nothing Like Old Testament , thats tradition of men to make the word Of God invalid ..... What we have is the Inspired Hebrew and Greek Scriptures !!! 1pet 2:21 says "Christ leave a model for u to follow closely" and neither Christ Nor His Apostles Celebrate their Birthdays !!! To show you that they dont av such thought , of the 4 writers of Christ Ministry Only matthew and Luke make brief statement about his birth WHILE MARK AND JOHN SAID NOTHING ABOUT HIS BIRTH.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by vest(m): 10:26pm On Oct 17, 2014
I Guess Playing Nd Watching Football Is A Sin Becose It Was Nt Writen In D Bible Where Prophet Played Football cry Smh
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2014
it seems canticle is Jehovah Witness and he has facts by making reference to the bible.The following are my questions for you
1.Tell where In the bible did it states you should discriminate claiming your are the true religion
2.Why do your sect never allow their members to marry outside JW
3.Why is Jw going against government when it's.clearly stated. that you respect those in authority? did you see where the Israelites disrespected their rulers
4.Did the bible clearly stated we shouldn't accept blood transfusion or it was making reference to eating blood which is true the mouth and veins
5.Did the bible say your sect should celebrate the Passover before easter? why celebrate it around that time
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 18, 2014
You haven't answered my question, you keep on dodging shifting post and quoting irrelevancies.
CANTICLES:
, Nothing Like Old Testament , thats tradition of men to make the word Of God invalid ..... What we have is the Inspired Hebrew and Greek Scriptures !!! 1pet 2:21 says "Christ leave a model for u to follow closely" and neither Christ Nor His Apostles Celebrate their Birthdays !!! To show you that they dont av such thought , of the 4 writers of Christ Ministry Only matthew and Luke make brief statement about his birth WHILE MARK AND JOHN SAID NOTHING ABOUT HIS BIRTH.
. Since we agree that celebrating birthdays is not a sin, who made you a judge of those who do such things?

As far as i can remember no one is declared righteous by observing the law, rather it is through the law we become conscious of sin, since you have been unable to prove so far that celebrating birthdays is not a sin. I rest my case.
Re: " FINALLY REVEALED : God's View On Birthday Celebration" by CANTICLES: 6:29am On Oct 18, 2014
Wow ..... "the Early Christians did not celebrate Jesus [birthday] beacause they considered the celebration of anyone's birthday to be of a pagan custom"- The World Book Encyclopedia !!! Due to this reasons, Jehovah's Witnesses Shun Pagan custom and ideas not founded by early christians , what relationship is between Christ and pagan customs ? 2 cor 6:14-18 ...including the fact that the ONLY TWO REFERENCES MADE TO THE CELEBRATION IN THE SCRIPTURES ARE BOTH SINNERS ! Everyone is entitled to his own beliefs But Jehovah's witnesses strive to follow Bible Standards

(1) (Reply)

Abu Dhabi Sheikhs Award Land Indians For Hindu Temple / Muslims Has One Thing 98% Of Christians Lack 'one Voice' / Can Prayer Change Destiny ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.