Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos (8635 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by amichaelz101(m): 1:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
Dogs tear baby’s skull in Lagos

A man, Stanley Jegede, said to be the caretaker of house 35, Adegboyega Street, Akesan, Igando, Lagos, has been arrested by the police for allowing his giant dogs tear the skull of the child of a tenant, Abraham Odia.

During the incident that happened at about 5.46 pm on Thursday, four year- old Omoniho Isaac Abraham narrowly escaped death, as the dogs pulled out his skull.

Omoniho is currently on admission at the intensive care section of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja, Lagos.
The two elder brothers to the victim whose ages range between seven and 12 years were also injured as they jumped from upstairs to evade the dogs’ attack.

Daily Independent investigation revealed that Jegede and his two dogs had been arrested and detained at the Igando Police Station.
Narrating the incident to Daily Independent at the LASUTH premises on Monday, Abraham, father of the children, said that his wife went to buy something for the children, and that shortly after she left, the children came downstairs with their bicycles to play as he lives upstairs.
But unknown to them, the giant dogs belonging to the landlord’s brother (Stanley Jegede) were not chained.

“Immediately they came down, two of the dogs chased them. The third dog was chained. They ran back up stairs, but the dogs chased them up, three of them ran up, but the dogs still attacked them forcing the other two who were 12 and seven years old to jump down leaving their younger one who could not jump. They sustained fracture injury on the legs. The dogs pounced on the boy, tore his skull and battered his face”.

He added that sympathizers who were helpless had to call in the police.

He said that even with that, no one could go in for fear of attack by the dogs, until his wife rushed back after she received a distress call.

“Nobody could go in, including the police, but my wife had to summon courage and defy the dogs’ barking and threat to go in and saw her son in the pool of his own blood, carried him and rushed out of the house. She was then accompanied by the police to Igando general hospital from where they were referred to LASUTH.

2 Shares

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by lirusehn(m): 2:03pm On Sep 30, 2014

Ohhhh!!LY JeezZ! Too bad sad
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by echobee(f): 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by babyme1(f): 2:23pm On Sep 30, 2014
I hate dogs
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by yungEX(m): 2:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
chisos
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by raod(f): 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
Jesussssss!!!!
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by veave(f): 2:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
God Almighty! !! shocked
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by amichaelz101(m): 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
veave: God Almighty! !! shocked
honestly, I was equally touched wen I saw d news
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by corisande: 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
JESUS! !
embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Mamaflex(f): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
Oh my God!! shocked shocked
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by sexymoma(f): 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
This isn`t good at all cry
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by 5minsmadness: 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2014
He said that even with that, no one could go in for fear of attack by the dogs, until his wife rushed back after she received a distress call.
“Nobody could go in, including the police, but my wife had to summon courage and defy the dogs’ barking and threat to go in and saw her son in the pool of his own blood, carried him and rushed out of the house.

Now that is a mother's love!

2 Likes

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hmmmm, sad things are really happening these days. This keep me wondering why people waste money on frivolous and dangerous things. The very essence of keeping dogs till today, i cant find out. The acclaimed purpose is that they keep security in the compound/neighbourhood, but the question is, how many times has any dog or group of dogs successfully stopped armed robbers from robbing their desired compound? Armed robbers have a way of destroying these dogs either by shooting them dead or baiting them to have entry. This therefore renders the effectiveness of dogs useless. What am i saying? It is meaningless and foolishness to keep dogs esp. those ones looking like lions. What for? It's even more annoyong when considering how much is larvished to maintain these dogs when even the poor people are not given such condition to live in. It's pathetic! I sincerely sympathise with the family esp. to the poor boy.

4 Likes

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Those human flesh eating dogs should be killed and used for peppersoup. angry

Sorry poor child! I wish you speedy recovery. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 4:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
JEEZ angry
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by eleojo23: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
This is serious!
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by sweetlady4real(f): 5:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
I love dogs and was thinking of getting one in the future but seeing this, I have to think twice about it . Wish the boy quick recovery, thank God for his mum.

1 Like

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by floranbee1(f): 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
My goodness!That's a lifetime scar.
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by soulglo: 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
Gosh poor baby. I wonder if skin can be grafted on the head. The parents should sue the landlady and her brother. Thus child's medical expenses need to be paid at no cost to his parents. Get well soon Sweetie
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Vikky014(f): 8:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
5minsmadness:

Now that is a mother's love!
she is a real mother.
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
TribalEAST: talk to Seun!

Would he listen?
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Eveezy(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
Chai!!! This is real bad, I knw dis incidence would make people that already hate dogs, hate them the more, am a dog lover nd I ve realized frm experience that a dog is only as bad as its owner, if anyone knws me in this pet section, I ve always tried on hammering abt socialization when I give advice on training, here in 9ja most peole breed dog jst to boost dier ego nd has notin to do wit security, a dog should nt be a weapon except if u work wit d force nd such dogs re well trained nd socialized nd wuld neva attack, dey would even play wit evryone until d handler gives d command, this incidence is rily bad, the owner should face the penalty cos he is d cause, he trained the dog to be dat heartless nd worse of all leaving the dogs offleash wen he knws dere re tenants in d house, normally in foreign countries, d owner wuld face penalty nd d dogs slayed, they re dangers to d community as a whole. My advice to people who nids security dogs, DO NOT MAKE UR DOG AGGRESIVE IF U CNT TRAiN, infct dogs should nt be aggresive, its a dog natural instinct to protect, dey dnt nid aggresion 4 it. Its a sad incident bt it doesn't make me love my dog any lesser cos I love dem to bits. Bt I no go lie u if my dogs try am aldo they cnt bt if dey do anitin similar even if e small, na me go kill em myself despite my love 4 dem, I respect humAn live stil

8 Likes

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by chucky234(m): 11:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
There are no bad dog but bad owner, while set free agressive dogs in a shared compound.
This is bad, poor child.
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Vikkiboi(m): 8:47am On Oct 02, 2014
pictures of the giant dogs or...u know the rest
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by ONWARDBABA: 8:57am On Oct 02, 2014
We ned to understand so many tinz about dogs
Many times we jt profess what cmes into our mind
Dere ar dogs and dere aar dogs
I think right training cmes here
To me we should train the dog the right ways
Although so dogs ar so bad and shd be tames
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by msmon(m): 9:07am On Oct 02, 2014
Pathetic!
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Mckandre(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
*modified.

I can't say more But this is really touching;wishing the young lad a quick recovery. m already having second thoughts But despite that,I still love my gsd.
This is what needs to be addressed; before getting a dog here in Nigeria for security or other purposes, always make sure of the surroundings you're living. you can't be living with tenants and also be seeking for an aggressive,security conscious dogs;its like a two edged sword, you ve to choose one of the two for a purpose, if you most choose the two, then you have no choice than to accept a sweet,social, affectionate and loveable Rottweiler. otherwise, seek for a good reputable dog trainer ,which atimes some dogs can still be unpredictable. it's high time every dangerous dog owner here in nigeria must have a dog trainers certificate of merit and police license.
*@op you didn't specify the breed that caused this menace.
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
Aggressive dogs are dangerous. Packs of aggressive dogs are exponentially more dangerous. They are especially dangerous around children.

This is partly because children are vulnerable, but mostly because children can be very stupid. If they're not trained on how to deal with dogs, they will usually do the wrong things. Children like to tease dogs. They like to throw stones at them, shout at them, pull their ears, try to take bones from them, etc., making the dogs very angry. Then when the dogs gets aggressive they tend to turn their backs and run, while screaming like wounded rabbits, which triggers the dogs' natural prey drive. With aggressive dogs, this is a recipe for maimed or dead children.

If children must live with aggressive dogs, then they must be trained on how to behave around dogs. "Don't provoke a dog by shouting at it or pestering it or playing rough with the dog. If a dog get's mad at you, don't turn your back and run. Make no sound, turn your face away from the dog, and slowly back away. If the dog jumps on you, drop down and cover your neck and be as quiet and still as possible, like a corpse"

Also, it's good to involve the children of the house in the training of your dogs so the dogs will recognize them as masters and obey them too.

I feel very sorry for this kid and I hope he makes a full recovery. I also feel for the owner of the dogs because I'm sure he feels very bad too.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 02, 2014
Seun: Aggressive dogs are dangerous. Packs of aggressive dogs are exponentially more dangerous. They are especially dangerous around children.

This is partly because children are vulnerable, but mostly because children can be very stupid. If they're not trained on how to deal with dogs, they will usually do the wrong things. Children like to tease dogs. They like to throw stones at them, shout at them, pull their ears, try to take bones from them, etc., making the dogs very angry. Then when the dogs gets aggressive they tend to turn their backs and run, while screaming like wounded rabbits, which triggers the dogs' natural prey drive. With aggressive dogs, this is a recipe for maimed or dead children.

If children must live with aggressive dogs, then they must be trained on how to behave around dogs. "Don't provoke a dog by shouting at it or pestering it or playing rough with the dog. If a dog get's mad at you, don't turn your back and run. Make no sound, turn your face away from the dog, and slowly back away. If the dog jumps on you, drop down and cover your neck and be as quiet and still as possible, like a corpse"

Also, it's good to involve the children of the house in the training of your dogs so the dogs will recognize them as masters and obey them too.

I feel very sorry for this kid and I hope he makes a full recovery. I also feel for the owner of the dogs because I'm sure he feels very bad too.

hmmmm. I enjoyed reading this- very educative. I love dogs, but then - sometimes they look so aggressive to me.
When I hear stories of a dog eating/injuring a child. I get really scared, I don't want such to befall my kids
Re: Dogs Tear Child's Skull In Lagos by emmyvet(m): 3:30pm On Oct 02, 2014
The dog is not well socialized by the careless owner.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls Suggest The Type Of Local Food I Can Give To My Dogs. / Is This A Sign That My Dame Will Be In Heat Soon? / Imported Brindle Boerboel Puppies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.