Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google (2615 Views)

Facebook Founder Wants To Give You $4.5m If You Do This.... / All You Need To Know About Yezz Andy 5T: Review, Specs & Price / Andy Rubin, Founder Of Android, Is Out Of Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by onlykay(m): 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
Google Lost The Guy Who Started Android

AP Andy Rubin. Andy Rubin, the founder of Android, is leaving Google after joining the company when his startup was acquired in 2005.

Rubin was in charge of the Android division until 2013, and he helped transform it from a small open-source platform into the biggest mobile operating system in the world.

Now Rubin is going to create a startup accelerator for companies focused on hardware, according to The Wall Street Journal. Based on what we've heard about Rubin from our sources, it sounds like a great fit.

One source who previously worked with Rubin described him as an excellent founder, explaining how he was different from Sundar Pichai, the Google exec currently leading the Android and Chrome divisions who just got a major promotion last week.

"I think Andy is probably the best person in the world to take something from zero to one," our source said in a previous interview before Rubin's departure. "Sundar is probably one of the best people in the world to take something from 100 to 1,000."

Another former colleague of Rubin's said Rubin always encouraged the startup culture at Google. Rubin's departure came as somewhat of a surprise, our source said, because it seemed as if he liked what he was doing there. At the same time, this person said, working at an accelerator fit in with what Rubin wanted to do.

"He's an entrepreneur. He likes to think fast and innovate," one source said in an interview prior to Rubin's exit, in reference to Android being handed over to Pichai. "I think that at some point, Android got so big that it's not necessarily that same challenge. And I think he still wants to have some more challenges and make some more great things happen."

Our source didn't know why Rubin suddenly left the company but speculated that it could have something to do with Page's recent reorganization. Or, it could simply be that Rubin is more interested in working with early stage startups at this time.

1 Like

Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Mayydayy(m): 11:28pm On Oct 31, 2014
Standing ovation guys.wouldnt have been typing this if not for this guy.the father of Android.

1 Like

Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by lolade123: 12:53am On Nov 01, 2014
God bless you for giving us android, if not,we would still be paying high for iPhones....
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by akinsadeez(m): 3:16am On Nov 01, 2014
Wow. Just learning that he is the one who discovered android. Well he can be proud of his invention.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by valboy20(m): 3:51am On Nov 01, 2014
K
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by webarse: 4:01am On Nov 01, 2014
I am highly impressed, almost fell victim to the blackberry virus when bb first landed...I'm loving android
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by godofwar666(m): 4:02am On Nov 01, 2014
Confusing thought you said the man is dead I was abt to write rip on till I read tru God forgive our Op undecided
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by brainyack(m): 4:21am On Nov 01, 2014
godofwar666:
Confusing thought you said the man is dead I was abt to write rip on till I read tru God forgive our Op undecided
me too o
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by killzone(m): 4:57am On Nov 01, 2014
Andy rubin co-founder of google has left. Pray that google remains the company it is today and even becomes better
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by constance500: 5:35am On Nov 01, 2014
I thought he was dead ni ke angry op change the title of the thread
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 01, 2014
akinsadeez:
Wow. Just learning that he is the one who discovered android. Well he can be proud of his invention.
android is open source. As well as a continious/ increamental technology. You cannot attribute it to a single inventor the guy just merely improved the android o.s and made it popular.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by richybanky(m): 6:10am On Nov 01, 2014
godofwar666:
same here grin
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Promking: 6:11am On Nov 01, 2014
I doff my hat to this guy for creating the most flexible user friendly operating system in this world #Android

I pray nothing negative happens to 'android' as he's leaving

OP, why am I seeing 'Samsung Galaxy S' behind him in the picture?? undecided
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 01, 2014
He felt he has proved his worth over there,time to try other endeavors.

Kudos to him.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by femi4: 6:49am On Nov 01, 2014
RIP
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Ezedon(m): 7:02am On Nov 01, 2014
Hope his invention will not follow him
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Lordseyad(m): 7:33am On Nov 01, 2014
Eeeeyahhh!
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by 100Cents: 7:44am On Nov 01, 2014
Big companies acquiring intelligent start ups.

This guy would have been among Worlds richest men if he hadn't sold his start up to Google..
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Lordmykel(m): 8:18am On Nov 01, 2014
Hmm. Someone who has taken something form 0 to 1,000,000,000.

Whats my business there sef.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Sylverbox(m): 9:00am On Nov 01, 2014
I respect this guy. God bless you. Will not wait till u die before I say u are a great man.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by tellwisdom: 9:07am On Nov 01, 2014
They lost him??.for where??
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Zillight: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2014
These are Brains that run the world, they dictate what happens in our world with the creativity of their minds...I can only except good more great and innovative inventions.
#I salute Great minds!
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by chinchong: 9:43am On Nov 01, 2014
CHINCHONG
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 01, 2014
Reski:
android is open source. As well as a continious/ increamental technology. You cannot attribute it to a single inventor the guy just merely improved the android o.s and made it popular.

See them haters, the thread say founder and you are saying improved, abeg park well make I drive pass before I batch your yeye tuketuke grin grin grin
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Ceedarlin(f): 10:23am On Nov 01, 2014
funny comments we got @ 1st me tot d guy z dead hmmm Nigeria n confusing (fake headlines)
aguiyi:

See them haters, the thread say founder and you are saying improved, abeg park well make I drive pass before I batch your yeye tuketuke grin grin grin
don't blme em dts wht borrowed lAnguage is causing...... THUMPS UP android dude
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by SlyIg(f): 11:12am On Nov 01, 2014
akinsadeez:

Android was actually discovered ?
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by sleekymag(m): 11:12am On Nov 01, 2014
Andy Rubin founder of And-R-oid.

Maybe that's how the Android name was coined... from And-y R-ubin.

Kudos to him and wish him success in his new venture.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Shadbay(m): 11:14am On Nov 01, 2014
He did a great job and left a great legacy. The world needs more geniuses like him
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by scofield33(m): 11:16am On Nov 01, 2014
Just got to know that Andy is the guy behind this lovely Android platform...kudos man!
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by akinsadeez(m): 11:21am On Nov 01, 2014
SlyIg:

Android was actually discovered ?

The article says he is the Founder abi. undecided.
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 01, 2014
embarassed
Re: Android Founder, Andy Rubin, Leaves Google by SlyIg(f): 11:41am On Nov 01, 2014
akinsadeez:

The article says he is the Founder abi. undecided.

A founder discovers?
I think found and discover are two different things sha.
One can only discover what has already been in existence. For instance, the man that discovered the sea route to India and the founder of Nairaland. The sea route has been there and was just discovered but nairaland is entirely an innovation founded by Seun.
Though we do interchange the two words at times sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Android App Every Android User Should Have / *this Will Shock You* See The Worlds Best Selling Device/handset Of All Time / How To Get Free 5GB On Your Mtn Sims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.