Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' (2550 Views)

Nigerian Jailed 20 Years, 10 Strokes Of Whipping For Possession Of Drugs / A Lie I Told 3 Years Ago Is Starting To Hunt Me. / Nigerian Man In Britain Who Stabbed Mum To Death Is Sentence To Life In Prison. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 8:04am On Sep 04, 2006
Britain 'worse than 20 years ago' says latest BBC Study.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5310016.stm

Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2006
Britain 'worse than 20 years ago' says latest BBC Study.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5310016.stm

Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Seun(m): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2006
It's funny how terrorism is the greatest problem in people's minds. Fear is the only way to control people. Dictators, terrorists and democraic governments know this and benefit from it similarly. It's funny.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2006
The hordes of Nigerians who are desperate to migrate to the UK should take note and stop harassing the British High Commission in Nigeria for Visa.

Britain is no longer safe!
Nigeria is safer!
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by mrmayor(m): 10:12am On Sep 04, 2006
Orikinla,

Mr man you have no idea what you are talking about,most of those surveys are done by older generation,who feel that times have changed.Your assertion that Nigeria is safer than Britain is laughable at best.Britain is a very safe country,emergency services,police,ambulance,fire brigade arrived within minutes of getting a call.

You don't have to post a thread about everything that you read on the net[b],Advice No Be Curse[/b]!
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Seun(m): 12:37pm On Sep 04, 2006
Good point. Britain might still be better than Nigeria, even if it's percieved to be worse.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by stanech: 2:20pm On Sep 04, 2006
aBEG if U GET any Visa Bring Am for me. Becos There is no way for now U can tell me that Nigeria is better than Uk never.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 7:48pm On Sep 04, 2006
I stand by my word that Nigeria is safer than Britain.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by TayoD(m): 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2006
@Orikinla,

Maybe you should back up your words with facts and figures. This is not a religious organisation where everyone else (your loyal subjects) will hold on to your words as gospel truth.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by ijebuman(m): 10:48pm On Sep 04, 2006
Orikinla:

I stand by my word that Nigeria is safer than Britain.

No thanks to Blair, everyone is now living in fear of another terrorist attack
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 11:30pm On Sep 04, 2006
Everyone on earth knows that America and Britain are daily targets of the terrorist suicide bombers and people now get hypertensive on buses, trains and planes.

One minute he is smiling at you and before you know it, he has blown up himself and all the passengers on the bus, train or plane.

When will this nightmare end?

FOR ALL TRAVELLERS TO AND FROM THE UK:·
Check the updated list of prohibited items on the Transportation Security Administration Web site (http://www.tsa.gov) or call the TSA's Consumer Response Center at 866-289-9673.
http://scarlettearsoflondon..com/2006_08_01_scarlettearsoflondon_archive.html
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by mrmayor(m): 1:02am On Sep 05, 2006
Brits may be in fear of terrorism but what are Nigerians in fear of?

1.Justice Minister is murdered and nothing happen!
2.OBJ sends his army to murder Nigerians in Odi and Zakki ibiam
3.Miss World,Cartoon Riots/massecres,yet Nigeria is safer than Britain.

Orikinla,please write about things you know about!I will feel safer in Dagenam in London,an area known for racist attack than feel anywhere in Nigeria.
I repeat those who take take the time to go through a phone survey which by the way its how surveys are done in the UK are pensioners who have seen the UK change beyond recognition.
The UK has the highest number of CCTV cameras in use,from the time you get out your house to when you get to work you are on camera,detection and conviction are high
Maybe you should contact,the Home Office,Police or the CPS for the true state of security in Britain,BTW the aim of the survey is how people feel,and not the state of security

Orikinla:

Everyone on earth knows that America and Britain are daily targets of the terrorist suicide bombers and people now get hypertensive on buses, trains and planes.
Nigerians are not in fear of attacks? Like I stated earlier stop postings threads about everything you read on the net
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by stanech: 10:00am On Sep 05, 2006
My brother come Edo state make u come see terrorism in the highest order
Them no dey talk Government and Touts all over the place. They will come to ur house beat u up and nobody will say anything about it

Nigeria is and has never been more safer than uk

U dey dream. Where u hear am self?
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 10:25am On Sep 05, 2006
Okay Britain is safer.
I am sending my babe over to stay there and I will join her later. And I hope no British lunatic will rape her or stab her as they stabbed Damilola and others never reported in the news.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by mrmayor(m): 10:41am On Sep 05, 2006
Orikinla,

You are one of those people embarrassed about when their opinion are found to be wanting,you are struggling what suppling real data on how Nigeria is safer.
Logic is this,

1.How many people are Raped in Nigeria? Housegirls,Female Undergraduates etc
2.How many people are killed the police for N5 bribe,how many are kill by Armed Robbers,How many are killed for Rituals?Remember Okija Shrine and numerous others killing grounds

Atleast in Britain,those who stabbed Damilola are now behind bars,so are rapist.What about those who killed your Bola Ige,Marshall Harry?
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by BrownEyes4(f): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2006
If Nigeria provided the same opportunities Britain provides for its people, it will be a far safer place than Britain. One of the main reasons Nigeria is in its current state is it serves the West for it to be in a constant state of chaos.

Over here in Britain you get the same things

Ritual killings - see freemasonary, satanism etc
Rape - Minicab drivers, date rape etc
Raping & murdering of young children - paedophilia is rife in Britain goes all the way to the top (ties in with ritual killings)
Corruption - Government scandals
MI6 killings - see David Kelly. lady Diana and numerous cases that have not grabbed the attention of the media
'Black on Black' killings - Paranoia, trainers got taken, revenge killings, street gangs
Drug related killings - between yardies, east europeans, triads
Gang warfare - Essex boys
Driveby shootings - young black men heavily influenced by drugs, MTV rap videos and American Ghetto life
and to top it off you have terrorists aka Police
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 12:01pm On Sep 05, 2006
Brown-Eyes,
Thank you for your insight.

The warped intelligence of those challenging the result of a BBC survey is caused by their ignorance and quasi-arrogance.

If the majority of Nigerians enjoy all the benefits of the social security provided in Britain, majority of Nigerians would be more disciplined, more tolerant and less anti-social than all the lunatic fringe elements on the prowl in England.

Here I am in our Nigerian LNG RA on Bonny Island and the crime rate is zero!

I am not afraid to enter the plane or ride on the bus or take the locomotive to any where.
No suicide bomb scare. grin

I know thousands of Nigerians in the UK who are living like third class citizens and are poorer now than when they were in Nigeria.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by BrownEyes4(f): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2006
Orikinla:

I know thousands of Nigerians in the UK who are living like third class citizens and are poorer now than when they were in Nigeria.

That is so sad but true. Lots of Nigerians come over, lured by the images the West portrays to 'Third World' countries, thinking the streets are paved with gold only to work themselves to death, paying to run the countries via taxes upon taxes. I find i am attending more wake keepings as more Nigerians are dying of heart attacks and strokes now even cancer is making an appearance. All stress related!

Nigerians come over highly qualified and end up as road cleaners, office cleaners, parking attendants ie the jobs the indigenous people can't be bothered/lazy to do. Whilst their peeps at home think they are enjoying life, they are working 2-3 jobs a day barely enough to cover their rent, food and taxes and at the same time trying to send money home.

To add to the insult, people that can't string 2 sentences together are given the prestigious jobs that require the skills that most Nigerians have and its all due to racism. Yet you will find Nigerians bending backwards to accommodate the white man in their own countries, at times stamping all over their own people just to be in their good books. Flippn Uncle Toms!

Nigerians should aim for Canada as there are more opportunities for them to work. Also Nigerians should remember their country and return as often as possible to help with the economy. One of the tricks the West uses to keep Nigeria underdeveloped is to keep you from going back. Nothing wrong in coming to the West but always remember where you come from.

1 Like

Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Afam(m): 1:45pm On Sep 05, 2006
Very interesting thread.

Britain of course is certainly not safer than Nigeria.

Agreed, poverty or put differently, failure of leadership in Nigeria has caused a lot of problems but in terms of safety Nigeria is a fairly secure place to live in when compared to a place where bomb scares and gang related killings or racially induced murders are common.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Mariory(m): 4:00pm On Sep 05, 2006
I think you'll find Britain is far safer than Nigeria. I'm not disputing that it may not be as safe as it was 20 years ago but, there is no comparison with Nigeria.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Afam(m): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2006
We may start by stating the yardstick for comparing Nigeria to Britain before deciding whether there is any comparison or not.

What constitutes safety and how can specific comparisons be made without making open ended statements?

At least in Nigeria, streets or airports are not closed and flights cancelled or delayed due to bomb scares?
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Chxta(m): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2006
At least in Naija people move around with confidence. The level of fear here is alarming. And this morning on the radio there was a talk show about how people don't enter buses, or get down, or change seats when they see a bearded man or a man that looks Arab. . .
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Mariory(m): 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2006
You are basing your jugdements on terrorism. What about Public transport safety? What about health care? What about road safety? what about food safety? What about about water (access to clean water) safety? what about emergency response that saves lives? What about violent crime that usually ends in fatalities? What about collapsing buildings in Nigeria? What about poor sanitation and living conditions in Nigeira? What about fire safety? What about communal clahses that claims tens -> hundreds -> thousands of lives in Nigeria? And ofcourse as seen in Kenya, Africa (and especially Nigeria which is now attracting a lot of investments) is not safe from terrorism. Nigeria got special mention from Osama Bin Ladin.

These are some some of the factors that make safety in Britain far exceed that of Nigeria.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Afam(m): 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2006
Well, some of the reasons stated (as to why Naija must be seen as not safe) can be reduced or managed by the individuals as against a state of fear that objective Nigerians are freely stating while living in Britain.

This is not a political debate, we need to look at this based on the general perception of the people living in the 2 countries and the real situation on ground before we support or oppose a position.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Mariory(m): 5:35pm On Sep 05, 2006
In that case we also need to know the questions that were asked to the public involved in this survey.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by texazzpete(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2006
No matter the amenities on ground, one cannot discount the Nigerian Factor. As one guy said to me the other day, Nigerians would queue up quietly and politely at Heathrow airport and then Squabble noisily @ airports in Naija. Why?

It might be funny hearing stuff about terrorist attacks on buses in the UK. but dont forget we have our own fears in nigeria, and advice that has been built into us. How many Britons go about scared of Witches and Jazz? How many One-chance robberies in the UK? Aren't bikes allowed to move around the streets of britain after 7pm? If u stay in the UK, will the news advise u against entering buses at 6am for fear of robbers or ritualists?

compare infant mortality rates, life expectancy and % HIV Infection ratio of britain and Nigeria and see which one comes out tops.

Besides, terrorism in the UK had prolly killed far less that accidents have claimed in naija as per bad roads.
I'm sure the millions of Non-muslims living in Northern Nigeria feel safe as houses,

Orikinla:

Brown-Eyes,
Thank you for your insight.

The warped intelligence of those challenging the result of a BBC survey is caused by their ignorance and quasi-arrogance.

If the majority of Nigerians enjoy all the benefits of the social security provided in Britain, majority of Nigerians would be more disciplined, more tolerant and less anti-social than all the lunatic fringe elements on the prowl in England.

Here I am in our Nigerian LNG RA on Bonny Island and the crime rate is zero!

I am not afraid to enter the plane or ride on the bus or take the locomotive to any where.
No suicide bomb scare. grin

@Orikinla
90% of LNG staff i've met living in the RA admit that the RA isn't a good representative of how Nigeria truly is. It's so bad that someone was wondering how his kids would cope when they had 2 go to University level.
Saying that Nigeria would be better that the Uk if we had good amenities is weird. We dont have them, simple. Work and compare with what you have.
Also, just for this statement "The warped intelligence of those challenging the result of a BBC survey is caused by their ignorance and quasi-arrogance." you must know you come across as an extremely uncouth fellow. Why subscribe to the Nigerian theory of insulting people who do not agree with you? Thot that kinda talk was reserved for PDP politicians grin
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Afam(m): 6:26pm On Sep 05, 2006
@Mariory,
Mariory:

In that case we also need to know the questions that were asked to the public involved in this survey.

Take a look at the survey as reproduced on the first 2 posts on this thread by the original poster.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Excellency(m): 11:00pm On Sep 05, 2006
20 years ago GB was better than it is now. For instance, then, they could make yanga for Nigerians going there. My Mom was even told then, "You will never step your feet on the shores of Britain." But now, you go to the UK Embassy and it is so easy to get the visa. The place is worse now, that is why they are opening the flood gates for all. Remember, the Briton is conservative to a fault, and would not open his doors to you, unless in dire situations.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by mrmayor(m): 11:31pm On Sep 05, 2006
Brown-Eyes:

If Nigeria provided the same opportunities Britain provides for its people, it will be a far safer place than Britain. One of the main reasons Nigeria is in its current state is it serves the West for it to be in a constant state of chaos.

Over here in Britain you get the same things

Ritual killings - see freemasonary, satanism etc
Rape - Minicab drivers, date rape etc
Raping & murdering of young children - paedophilia is rife in Britain goes all the way to the top (ties in with ritual killings)
Corruption - Government scandals
MI6 killings - see David Kelly. lady Diana and numerous cases that have not grabbed the attention of the media
'Black on Black' killings - Paranoia, trainers got taken, revenge killings, street gangs
Drug related killings - between yardies, east europeans, triads
Gang warfare - Essex boys
Driveby shootings - young black men heavily influenced by drugs, MTV rap videos and American Ghetto life
and to top it off you have terrorists aka Police
There is crime everywhere on earth but the key question is how are these crimes detected and punished?
1.Ritual killings introduced by Nigerians,am still can't remember a Freemason killing shocked
2.Minicab and date rape when reported are investigated,prosecuted and jailed when convicted.How many rapes are even reported in Nigeria
3.Pedophilia is a serious crime and taken seriously in Britain,that can not be said of Nigeria!
4.David Kelly committed suicide,Diana the jury is still out on that.How many people have being killed by state agents in Nigeria,Zakki Ibiam,Odi etc
5.Gang warfare is a world wide thing,Ireland have their own Westies and E17s gangsters.

The claim that most Nigerians living in Britain are poorer than when they were in Nigeria is ridiculous,Nigerians who with degrees who end up doing cab have no Kpali or their qualifications are not recognized in the UK.
The fact is that even if you work in Macdonals,you can still save over £80 a week and at the end of the year you would have well over £4000 that is when you don't have to send money home.
Nigerians who do early morning work have no "Kpali"paper  period.
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Orikinla(m): 2:16pm On Sep 06, 2006
Can we just discuss the survey or you doubt the credibility of the BBC?
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by Chxta(m): 11:43pm On Sep 06, 2006
Excellency:

20 years ago GB was better than it is now. For instance, then, they could make yanga for Nigerians going there. My Mom was even told then, "You will never step your feet on the shores of Britain." [b]But now, you go to the UK Embassy and it is so easy to get the visa. [/b]The place is worse now, that is why they are opening the flood gates for all. Remember, the Briton is conservative to a fault, and would not open his doors to you, unless in dire situations.
I beg to differ. . .
Re: Britain Is Now 'Worse Than 20 Years Ago' by texazzpete(m): 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2006
Excellency:

20 years ago GB was better than it is now. For instance, then, they could make yanga for Nigerians going there. My Mom was even told then, "You will never step your feet on the shores of Britain." But now, you go to the UK Embassy and it is so easy to get the visa. The place is worse now, that is why they are opening the flood gates for all. Remember, the Briton is conservative to a fault, and would not open his doors to you, unless in dire situations.

tell me you truly do not believe that!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shocking Photo: Teenager Being Abused By His Classmates (viewers Discretion). / Too Bad! Father Rapes And Infects 6-year-old Daughter With STD - / Moment Protesters Stormed Awkuzu SARS Office, & Officers Fired Gunshots At Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.