Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,437 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:56 PM

Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better (3147 Views)

The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. / Notable Differences Between Manual Cars And Automatic Cars / Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by feelme3(m): 8:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
Hello Nairaland experts.

I am considering getting a ride next year. I have seen some nice ones. A BMW 3serries manual drive and a benz E320 auto.

Please kindly advice which is better; the auto or manue, considering I am based in Lagos and with the mad traffic situation. This is also my first car.
I've heard varied opinions on why one shouldn't go for heavy rides like Beema and Benz for a first car. Apart from the "high" maintenance, are there other issues I should be wary off on the two Brands.

Expert advises from experience welcomed.

Thanks
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by brunofarad(m): 8:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
Auto anytime anyday
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by wtfCode: 10:17pm On Dec 26, 2015
i only like automatic bcus it is stress free(u know shifting of gears up and down, especially in the traffic).
But if u wanna enjoy performance of a car to the fullest, manual is the answer.
...and as a beginner, i suggest manual 4 u.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by wtfCode: 10:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
and then again, their maintainance cost aint the same, as the manual will cost u lesser.

1 Like

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by marshalcarter: 9:28am On Dec 27, 2015
I'll chose manual anytym anyday
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by ivoryhouse(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2015
feelme3:
Hello Nairaland experts.

I am considering getting a ride next year. I have seen some nice ones. A BMW 3serries manual drive and a benz E320 auto.

Please kindly advice which is better; the auto or manue, considering I am based in Lagos and with the mad traffic situation. This is also my first car.
I've heard varied opinions on why one shouldn't go for heavy rides like Beema and Benz for a first car. Apart from the "high" maintenance, are there other issues I should be wary off on the two Brands.

Expert advises from experience welcomed.

Thanks
The issues cars in Nigeria have is that most of them in showrooms came with salvage titles so they keep having issues and giving their owners nightmares. Manual Transmissions require less maintenance than the automatic transmissions. They are more fun to drive if you can look beyond the 'clutch action'. The clutch in some cars is easier than in some other cars so it depends on the car and i for one am not sure i can handle a manual as a daily driver. It all boils down to personal preferences so i suggest you think through before pulling the trigger.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by lonelydora: 10:11am On Dec 27, 2015
I prefer Auto for city driving and Manual for expressway.
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 27, 2015
My choice would always be a manual, both for highway and slow, traffic-laden city driving. I just don't feel "involved" with the car if it has an automatic transmission.

I detest the dead, soulless and remote feeling an automatic provides, like I'm detached from the whole driving experience. Urrrgh!

7 Likes

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by nurey(m): 1:19pm On Dec 27, 2015
let me share my experience, I drive both forms of transmission currently but I won't talk about fuel or another thing apart from what you can enjoy from both reason is both cars are from different makers and different class.

So the day I got my manual trans (I bought manual trans cause it was a Naija used car to have satisfaction of transmission failure won't occur) I had to rev upto 3000rpms before the car could move, it stalled like a gazillion times and climbing uphill raved upto 4-5rpms I still wonder why the clutch never gave up on me.

I going to high brew area I was always paranoid (leKki, ikoyi) especially when I have expensive rides behind me. When I am doing uphill in traffic, I was always sweating even with AC on cause of fear of starting from gear 1, within a month, I became king, could hold the car uphill with only clutch, became a guru in engine braking and overtaking was fun for me and also challenging close counter parts, most people just marvel at how I could withstand overtaking them since my car was a puny one.

If am to choose between both rides, I would pick th benz over the BMW I love and think benz is way more rugged than BMW but since the BMW is a manual, I won't blink twice before picking it.

#TEAM STICKSHIFT#
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by nigeriancuban: 5:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
lol,did you really ask that..a nokia 3310 and a Samsung galaxy s5 which is better??
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by ivoryhouse(m): 11:50am On Dec 28, 2015
nigeriancuban:
lol,did you really ask that..a nokia 3310 and a Samsung galaxy s5 which is better??

I dont think you have experienced a manual tranny before, have you? Please do before making such comparisons. I am not sure i can handle a manual tranny everyday but i am seriously considering getting a manual tranny ride btw i had a manual tranny beetle in the university and i really enjoyed it.
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by nigeriancuban: 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2015
ivoryhouse:

I dont think you have experienced a manual tranny before, have you? Please do before making such comparisons. I am not sure i can handle a manual tranny everyday but i am seriously considering getting a manual tranny ride btw i had a manual tranny beetle in the university and i really enjoyed it.
I started with a manual golf before I kissed hard labour driving goodbye,the only reason people give for manual is the push and start bables but aside that I don't see any why I would prefer something that will give me hand muscles to what I just relax and it just moves me on....#team toyota

2 Likes

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by nurey(m): 3:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
nigeriancuban:
I started with a manual golf before I kissed hard labour driving goodbye,the only reason people give for manual is the push and start bables but aside that I don't see any why I would prefer something that will give me hand muscles to what I just relax and it just moves me on....#team toyota

Funny guy, manual is only stressful because people find starting from gear one stressful. A manual wouldn't be stressed in traffic compared to leaving an Automatic in D "grin" while the brake is depressed.
On a good day, you can use only the clutch and brake leaving your gear in 1 to beat traffic.

Manual gear has less serviceable interval compared to automatic. apart from push and start, which can come really handy, you have engine braking which is more effective for manual.

I once drove a lincoln navigator auto and when I took it out, I didn't place the gear lever well in P, it was slightly away from P but really not noticeable, imagine the car didn't start, I got delayed for 1hr and also called a battery charger, at the end I just decided to adjust the lever well and the car just started. Also my sienna key will never leave the ignition except the gear lever is in P.

manual has its pros and cons so also the auto, but if you can master a manual well, you will fall head over hills in love with it.

3 Likes

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by feelme3(m): 6:32pm On Dec 28, 2015
Thanks guys for the inputs. Judging from opinions here, its obvious which I should go for wink
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by diportivo: 2:54pm On Dec 29, 2015
feelme3:
Thanks guys for the inputs. Judging from opinions here, its obvious which I should go for wink

Nice cheesy

Lets see pictures wen its done
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by cbrass(m): 12:03am On Dec 30, 2015
Godforbid bad thing.. me drive auto? Mtcheww... I enjoy my manual, you need to see the way I shakara them in traffic when am in lekki. You need to watch Furious 7 before you can understand grin
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by xreal: 6:28am On Dec 30, 2015
If you want to 'drive' your automobile, think MANUAL; else, you will be driven.

Maintenance is less stressful with manual also.

And for a starter, pls go for a manual transmission.

That's my opinion.
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by FiftyFifty(m): 7:11am On Dec 30, 2015
Manual Tranny any day, any time!
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by luvinhubby(m): 7:15am On Dec 30, 2015
Automatic transmission is the better option considering the harsh working and driving environment we live in.
Manual transmission is cheaper to maintain (though with it's own expenses with burnt clutch covers and clutch discs) but will add to work and traffic stress in Lagos and Nigeria driving.

For longer life of the driver (which paramount)- Automatic

For cheaper transmission maintenance - Manual.
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by luvinhubby(m): 7:17am On Dec 30, 2015
xreal:
If you want to 'drive' your automobile, think MANUAL; else, you will be driven.

Maintenance is less stressful with manual also.

And for a starter, pls go for a manual transmission.

That's my opinion.

Won't suggest that for starters unless you want to keep replacing clutch plates. Auto is easier for starters.
Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by xreal: 7:34am On Dec 30, 2015
luvinhubby:

Won't suggest that for starters unless you want to keep replacing clutch plates . Auto is easier for starters.

Even an expert in auto might still face difficulties with clutch whenever he/she decides to learn the manual.
It depends on the instructor.

As for me, I don't recognise any 'driver' who tells me he/she can't drive a vehicle with manual transmission.

1 Like

Re: Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
I prefer manual to auto more so in nigeria, where there are so many kazeems.

But know that one day u will have to settle for auto as u age due to arthritis. grin

(1) (Reply)

2001 Toyota Camry Timing Belt Issues / Guys Forming Too Much With Car Keys, Keep Key Ur In Pocket / Quick Sale: Volkswagen Jetta 2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.