Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) (5047 Views)

Just Landed In Jand, Needs Headway! / Jand Is For Uk,yankee Is For U.s And Whats For Canada? / Need Connection or Advise On The Easiest Way To Jand nowadays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 12:07am On Aug 03, 2009
Fellow NLs pls we wld appreciate if u guys can give us a clue of hw much u had in cash @ arrival in UK, US or CANADA living cost
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by capon504(m): 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2009
your topic does not relate to your question you have to be a little bit direct so you can get help
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by Afam4eva(m): 5:49pm On Aug 03, 2009
@poster

The topic and post do not sync, but i'll reply to the topic.

If you want to die at a very young age then head to the UK as a student. Even non students can barely survive.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by agathamari(f): 6:00pm On Aug 06, 2009
US has the strictist imigration regulations of the 3 and great britian is in the process of changing theres so i would guess canada.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by DisGuy: 11:03am On Aug 07, 2009
Wont advise you to travel as a student without your full school fees, and your whole rent at least

prior to the recession The best option is still UK in my opinion, i don't think students are allowed to work in the US and Canada though there might be some vacancies in school but its highly competitive. In the UK you can work up to 20hours anywhere if you can find the job and they agree to take you on part time basis plus you can work full time during the holidays
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by justwise(m): 11:56am On Aug 07, 2009
electronic:

Fellow NLs pls we wld appreciate if u guys can give us a clue of hw much u had in cash @ arrival in UK, US or CANADA and what was d average amount u were able 2 hustle 2 suppliment ur living cost as undergrads or grad students, just 2 help guys prepare better 4 studies , Tnx i hope am not 2 personal?
I will try to answer u, When i arrived in the UK about 5yrs ago, i had only $1000, a yr diploma school fees paid. no rent, i moved in with a family friend, I got part time job after a month, cos i started looking for job asap, then got a room after a month and 3wks,
I finished the a yr course with 3yrs visa left on my passport(cos i was given 4yrs) coming back to Nigeria was not an option, so i worked my backside off to save up for a degree course, came back after a yr and start my degree, while i keep working 20hrs, sometimes more than that, then full time during the holiday, now i'm a graduate.

Now listen, I went through hell, it was either u swim or sink situation, its risky cos students are not allowed to work more than 20hrs a wk durying term time, now its almost imposible to try it cos its tighter now, the jobs are not there, so don't risk it, come with enough money and see how it goes

Good luck
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 8:14pm On Aug 09, 2009
@wiseone tnx 4 the info am so grateful. UK is tough ground, i think i shld consider US or CAN.
@all I got a skl in CAN (Masters in Elect Eng), fees and livin cost per year wld cost me 1.5mil (uvic.ca). I can afford the first year. And wld hav 2 work 4 the fees 4 the next year. I hope its possible
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by justwise(m): 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2009
Thats pretty cheap, fees only here cost from £9000, up depend on the Uni and city.
Go for Can, thats better deal
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by Hotstepper(f): 7:16am On Aug 10, 2009
Canada is ur best answer
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by sophy09: 10:30am On Aug 10, 2009
@hotstepper

so i can work and study in Canada at the same time.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by whiteroses(f): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2009
forget US and canada its too hard there, UK is a bit easy to earn and study especially if you have family around but strong advice dont go without at least 1 year school, rent and maintanance fees or else you will suffer te you go pity yourself, i'm lucky to live with my parent and came at young age but i have friends from nigeria that came to study the life they are living is just saddening there's always no money left cry but wierdly enough they are always the best in class and likely to come out with first class, i'm researching on their secret wink lol
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by MrCrackles(m): 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2009
Poster
Dont even try going out to those countries without enough money or with hustling mentality. . . .You may end up regretting the day you were born!
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 1:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
@whiterosy UK? Do u know that the tuition in most UK skls wld pay 4 my entire living and tuition expenses 4 at least a year in canada (no shaking). Coz some skls in CANADA especialy in BC dnt charge diffrential tuition.
@Mr crk? Am thinking of going with N1.5mil. Thats the best i can raise oh!, All 9jans hav 2 hustles we no get choice.
@all why is dat only guys in UK hlp more wit answers than dudes in US & CAN. I tire oh.,,
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2009
@whiterosy UK? Do u know that the tuition in most UK skls wld pay 4 my entire living and tuition expenses 4 at least a year in canada (no shaking). Coz some skls in CANADA especialy in BC dnt charge diffrential tuition.
@Mr crk? Am thinking of going with N1.5mil. Thats the best i can raise oh!, All 9jans hav 2 hustles we no get choice.
@all why is dat only guys in UK hlp more wit answers than dudes in US & CAN. I tire oh.,,
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by MrCrackles(m): 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2009
electronic:

How much is your tuition and the duration of your course?
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by MadMax1(f): 9:44pm On Aug 11, 2009
Don't know about now,but aren't your fees supposed to be paid in part or fully,or you show you've enough to pay tuition for the duration of your studies, before you're issued a student visa? What are you going to do about that? 1.5mil's only about £6000. Canada's a great country, but you're only allowed employment within the campus if you're a full-time student. Maybe things have changed now.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2009
@MR.
tuition per yr $6,000 , living exp $5000 (uvic.ca)
masters MAsc Elect Eng
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by erico2k2(m): 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
@ Poster, UK is ur best Options, even if you had to work 20hrs a week, you can still arrange and work underground if you get me.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by justwise(m): 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
erico2k2:

@ Poster, UK is ur best Options, even if you had to work 20hrs a week, you can still arrange and work underground if you get me.

Yup i agree with u, though its hard, but if he gives it a go, then wiht time he will be ok, i did it.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by MrCrackles(m): 5:25pm On Aug 13, 2009
justwise:

Yup i agree with u, though its hard, but if he gives it a go, then wiht time he will be ok, i did it.

That is it. . . I am shopping you to the Immigration! grin
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by erico2k2(m): 5:58pm On Aug 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Our Town JUJU dey harsh oh, I go send am come meet you right away,,Man E no easy, most people seem to fail to realise that Uk has a small break fru as regarding black work, I know many guys who do it, school in the day work at night 20hrs legit, work with other kpali over the wkend to raise cash, E no easy at all, when the going gets tuff, the tuff gets going.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by justwise(m): 6:04pm On Aug 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Hahaha, go on then.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
@all u mean i can start up with N1.5mil 4 tuition & housing?. But 4rm peoples comments, i think its a death trap. because 1.5 mil wont even cover tuition. Or do the universites offer some form of scholarship 4 masters degree student
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by Fhemmmy: 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2009
I personally think Canada is best.
1. Some of the students' visa can now work part-time while the school.
2. Years in school could be used later towards becoming a permanent residents.
3. Years of the part-time work cld be used as experience in the future.
4. The schools are a little cheaper.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by erico2k2(m): 10:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
everything U av said is same as UK,duno bout D fees though,but its easy 2 do work here in uk cos there is a large comunity of Nigerians here.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 12:00am On Aug 17, 2009
@all guys i was just wondering, if i make it 2 any of this countries i.e CANADA, US or UK. How much do u think i can raise on part time jobs on average to supplement my expenses. I no wan go over suffer oh!. Pls guys in any of this countries pls help.! . Tnx
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by amosexy: 2:57am On Aug 17, 2009
well i cant say for sure but all i know is u can work and a gud job i tik here in canada.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 11:24am On Aug 19, 2009
@all anybody workn as a student on campus i need ur help, abeg what average sum do u tink i can raise on school partime jobs. Where ever u are abroad i dont mind.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by justwise(m): 12:37pm On Aug 19, 2009
electronic:

@all anybody workn as a student on campus i need ur help, abeg what average sum do u tink i can raise on school partime jobs. Where ever u are abroad i dont mind.

This is a tight one. Now, in the UK, students are allowed to work 20hrs a week during sch terms and ful time on holidays. Minimum wage here is £5.73, if u are in london then u get paid more than that cos of cost of living in london.

Outside london, its posible to get paid £6.00, 7.00, all depend on the company and type of job. so 20hrs wk X 5.73 will give u something like £114.6, the national Insurance and tax will be reducted from that amount, leaving u with maybe £100 a week, but u will get ur tax back(as a stduent) at the end of financial yr as long as u don't over blown ur 20hrs a wk restriction.

Holidays are always there for u to work ur backside off.

Hope that makes sense.
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2009
@justwise thanks 4 the info u are the man!. Oboy una dey try 4 UK o! GOD dey sha una must HAMMER. Wel i dey go make some more research. Any body else
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by electronic(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2009
@justwise thanks 4 the info u are the man!. Oboy una dey try 4 UK o! GOD dey sha una must HAMMER. Wel i dey go make some more research. Any body else
Re: Yankee (us), Jand (uk) Or Canada (?) by DisGuy: 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dont think about the money alone!

The problem is people concentrate too much on working when they move over on student visa
The best thing is to come with enough funds at least for the first six months after paying tuition fees and
accommodation, Most studentshave never worked before so studying and working in a new country is hard!
The workload for Masters student and Undergraduate is heavy; just because some are having lecturers only
3-4 days they think they can do all within the week leaving no time for uncertainties or the student experience
via the pub cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Love Living In Brazil(photo) / To Reside In Or Visit This Antarctic Town, You Have To Remove Your Appendix(Pic) / Life In Albania

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.