Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,281 members, 7,818,954 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 (6036 Views)

DON'T JOIN Chapter 1:NOVELLA - PAGE-1 COMIC / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Game He Lost (A Novel). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by chiogo(f): 6:20pm On Sep 19, 2009
I'm sure this is good, Myne White. . . .I will definitely be back to read. smiley
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 3:27pm On Sep 20, 2009
Thanks Chiogo, it's almost finished now.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 11:32pm On Sep 21, 2009
Edward extended his hand and accepted the new sheets of paper stapled together. A patch further down on the second page was highlighted and he saw the deposit of millions of naira on the said date. Unexpectedly, there were also a couple of withdrawals since then.

Thanks.” They shook hands and then Edward asked to be left alone. “I’ll join you shortly.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by chiogo(f): 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2009
wow, I have so much to read. . .and little time these days angry
Myne White, this is great. Love the plot. . .I hope Gladys and Edward have something going on (don't tell me grin)
And oh yea, I lived in Enugu - beautiful place!! The houses are really not that small and very affordable too compared to Lagos.
It's just the job thing that Lagos has on it.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2009
Chiogo, thanks for the feedback. Have friends is Enugu and they say the same thing. OK I won't tell you till you find out for yourself.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 7:28pm On Sep 23, 2009
Gladys was not paying any attention to the NTA network news that was just about to start on the bedroom television when her phone rang. She answered it right away.

"Hello, Darling what’s happening?”

"I have to be here much longer," Edward said shortly, "Expect me around midnight."

"Do you want me to come over? Have you eaten? Should I bring you some food?”

"No thank you. I’ll get them to send out for something here. And Gladys we need to talk, but not on the phone.” The stiffness was clear in his tone.

It must be serious, so why keep it to himself? "Edward, please tell me what's wrong.”

“I think you already have an idea Gladys.”

“I do?” Was she supposed to know? They did frequently talk about his business.

"I have to go, we’ll talk when I get back if you’re still awake.” The phone clicked.

Gladys tried to order her thoughts, to regain some control over a day that begun so well, but had gone awry. In the past hour since her call with Ola, she’d started on the unpacking. She earlier sent Edward a text after two failed calls that she loved him and he should call her.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2009
Now wondering if he read the message, unbidden tears slowly made tracks down her cheeks. The way Edward just talked to her made that hard to believe. Was this the same man who had walked down the steps of that Air France plane with her this evening on their way back from their trip? Gladys looked across the room to where the luggage and some clothes were still strewn around and drew a deep breath. She decided to call Kanayo and pick his brains.

“Hi Gladys, how are you? It’s good to hear from you.”

“Nice to hear from you too Kanayo, but that’s not why I called.”

“I can guess why you did. Actually, I am driving now and won’t be able to speak for longer. I just got off the phone with Edward and on my way to join them at the office. The call was brief; he said it was urgent and had to do with the insider trading of the company shares.”

“I was hoping you had more details. He was dragged off soon after we arrived and only called some minutes ago to say he’ll still be there for some hours yet.”

“I’ll get him to give you a proper call if possible. Anyway, I’m glad you guys got back OK. Too bad about the situation with the company, I’ll be there for Edward.”

“Thanks Kanayo, you’re the best.” Gladys dropped the phone. This was certainly not how she expected them to spend their first night back; Edward in the office and she alone at home.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by maedan(f): 8:03pm On Sep 25, 2009
Nice one. @ Myne White, this kind of story you'll want to read all at once! The suspense sure is killing! Great work.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 3:51am On Sep 27, 2009
Thanks Maedan. Next one coming soon
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2009
Edward walked back into the boardroom and this time sat at the head of the highly polished mahogany table. He breathed in deeply and then let it out slowly. Those who played with the tail of the tiger had only themselves to blame if they ended in its belly. There was no more playing with kid gloves. All bets were off.

He looked at Ogbonna and spoke, “You had a meeting this afternoon. Did you decide on the next line of action? What about those behind this takeover?”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2009
“So we have thirty-six percent counting my thirty-one and the five owned by you two.” They nodded. “The opposition has thirty-five, that leaves twenty-nine out there like you said.” He looked at each in turn to be sure he was getting it right this time. "So to forestall the takeover, we’re looking to buy at least fifteen percent or get them to remain on our side?”

“That is correct.” Mrs. Olayomi replied, "But while the controlling interest is still fifty-one percent they can still ask to sit on the board. With this tender offer, they could even start a proxy fight. We have to come up with genuine reasons to reject the takeover bid."
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by rayzbay(f): 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2009
good job,i love d story it is very interesting. keep it up
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 6:22am On Oct 02, 2009
Thanks rayzbaby. I'll soon update.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2009
“Keep up the pressure even on the Mutual Fund owners. Most of the initial twelve percent our rivals got must be from small holdings especially using a two-tier tender offer. We may use that in our share repurchase. We also have to make individual calls to independent shareholders.”

“Edward, I think it will be better if you call the executive directors yourself. We need to work on their loyalty because this fight may boil down to a vote.” Benibo added.

"I’ll do that as soon as possible. Who are the owners of the remaining seven percent?”

"They were recently purchased and still registered to some brokers. We’re still trying to find out the actual owners.” Ogbonna replied bending over his papers.”

"Continue to do that. I'm sure our rivals will be doing the same." They nodded and he gave a tired smile before bending down to the papers strewn across his desk. “Well then, I’ll take some time to familiarize myself with all these reports.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2009
Now wondering if he read the message, unbidden tears slowly made tracks down her cheeks. The way Edward just talked to her made that hard to believe. Was this the same man who had walked down the steps of that Air France plane with her this evening on their way back from their trip? Gladys looked across the room to where the luggage and some clothes were still strewn around and drew a deep breath. She decided to call Kanayo and pick his brains.

“Hi Gladys, how are you? It’s good to hear from you.”

“Nice to hear from you too Kanayo, but that’s not why I called.”

“I can guess why you did. Actually, I am driving now and won’t be able to speak for longer. I just got off the phone with Edward and on my way to join them at the office. The call was brief; he said it was urgent and had to do with the insider trading of the company shares.”

“I was hoping you had more details. He was dragged off soon after we arrived and only called some minutes ago to say he’ll still be there for some hours yet.”

“I’ll get him to give you a proper call if possible. Anyway, I’m glad you guys got back OK. Too bad about the situation with the company, I’ll be there for Edward.”

“Thanks Kanayo, you’re the best.” Gladys dropped the phone. This was certainly not how she expected them to spend their first night back; Edward in the office and she alone at home.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by rayzbay(f): 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2009
am still following d story but please post new update
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
Edward came into the house to find Gladys sitting on one of the living room chairs. When he noticed she was sleeping, he slammed the door. She woke up immediately. "Oh thank God you're back," she cried rushing over to give him a hug.

He stiffened the instant her arms went round him. He dropped his jacket and waited till she removed her arms from his neck. Stepping around her, he continued on his way into the house.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:26pm On Oct 09, 2009
Thanks Rayzbaby, I'm sorry for posting the wrong update. The correct one is up now, hope you like it.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by rayzbay(f): 12:44am On Oct 10, 2009
good job.thanks.oh!i wonder what will happen to Gladys poor her
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2009
Gladys looked carefully at the papers in her hands and her words died in her mouth. There was a photocopy of a mandate card with instructions to sell Bestman Group shares. It was signed with her name and a date for a week before they left the country. There was a bank statement showing the week’s activities on her account and also the printout of emails with her account officer at the brokers. She stood up resolutely and went to stand behind him with the mandate card extended, "This is a forgery, Edward. I have nothing to do with this."

"Do you deny that you signed that mandate and consented to them selling last week?”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by chiogo(f): 9:29pm On Oct 11, 2009
Wow, that was great!! Myne White, still missing a couple episodes though. But the last one really had me intrigued.

Oh C'mon, Edward!! I agree that love isn't 'everything' like people make it seem. But some trust at least.

Myne White, are you into business or something? you seem to have a pretty good knowledge of the whole shares thingy.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Turiano(m): 6:00pm On Oct 14, 2009
Keep it up
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:50pm On Oct 15, 2009
Chiogo, its some research though I worked in a bank for sometime.

Turiano, thank you.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by maedan(f): 7:41am On Oct 16, 2009
This Edward sef angry angry cheesy. Why can't he see through the ploy?? It's so frustrating!! Well I guess after his troubled childhood he never really learned how to truly trust someone - even his wife, Gladys, the woman he fell in love with. @ MyneWhite, I'd like to see him grovel when the time comes angry wink grin.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by ravenzord(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2009
Eeyah. . .so sad,so sad.

@ Myne White: Has anyone told U that U've gotten better at this writing thingy? I noticed dat all the mistakes U were criticized for on d 1st page hav been rectified,makin for a better reading experience.Big ups sis.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2009
@Meadan, thank you so much, you really understand.

Edward has some issues but he will definitely grovel. grin cheesy

@Ravenzord, Thanks, I do try to use the feedback I get. Thanks for noticing that.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by maedan(f): 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2009
Lol, @ MyneWhite, sure I understand. And please, please, please make her give him a hard time grin. Then the making up would be more fun. If not for some people and their happy ending fixations, I'd have said she should even leave him cheesy. Ah ah, because of shares he wants to leave the house. Men and their money sef smiley wink.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 4:30pm On Oct 18, 2009
You have made me laugh but also given me a good idea. Thank you.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Orikinla(m): 8:00pm On Oct 18, 2009
I am reading it as time permits me.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:18pm On Oct 19, 2009
Thanks Orikinla, I appreciate them. Please let me have some feedback.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 10:34pm On Oct 19, 2009
Mr. Odusote sighed as he luxuriated in the soft leather of his tall black executive-style chair. He spun himself away from the desk and toward the window of his fifth level office. They were housed in one of the state liaison buildings lining Ahmadu Bello Way and so he watched the morning traffic snake alongside the beach. He still couldn’t believe how things had worked out. He recalled how last year he tagged behind Edward Bestman for the longest time, taking all those brush offs. Maybe if Edward had listened then and gone into business with him he wouldn’t be facing takeover. Mr. Odusote laughed; it was nice to be in the driving seat for a change.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Turiano(m): 7:58am On Oct 20, 2009
@myne white,i like ur write up continue wit it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lesbian Story (How It Became To Pass) – A Fiction Story / R.I.P Psalmwise / A Cry For Love - A Romance Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.