Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,899 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant (35685 Views)

Driver Returns Lost Laptop, N50K, ATM Cards, Cheque Belonging To A Professor / I Regret Being A Medical Doctor / Medical Consultant Salary VS Professor Salary: Proof Attached (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by mojims: 7:04am On Apr 21, 2016
The question is not clear because their are professors in medicine in most teaching hospital and those profs has to become consultants first before getting to professor but which ever department an international prof in Hausa language earns far more than consultant except if the prof na Nigeria prof only and not a prof in medicine
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by RasheedUmar: 7:09am On Apr 21, 2016
A medical conductor

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by omogin(f): 7:13am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:
A medical consultant earns far more than a proffesor in almost all countries of the world. In the united states, an entry level post resident doctor makes from $180k to $500k per annum depending on specialty while even the top proffrsors who are dean of colleges hardly make above $130k.
In nigeria,an entry level government consultant makes about 700k montly excluding outside consultations while a new proffessor make about 430k.
This difference is quite understandable since doctors are quite functional.people who also bring in money for the facilites and also impart knowledge on students while proffesors only impart knowledge and hardly bring in any money to their universties.
Nigeria doctors are one of the most poorly paod in the world that is why we are losing them by thousands to better paying countries like the us,uk,saudi arabia and now even namibia and botswana where they are in very high demand.

Lies. Go and ask the right people before misleading the public. Consultants don't earn as much

3 Likes

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by dokiOloye(m): 7:16am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:
A medical consultant earns far more than a proffesor in almost all countries of the world. In the united states, an entry level post resident doctor makes from $180k to $500k per annum depending on specialty while even the top proffrsors who are dean of colleges hardly make above $130k.
In nigeria,an entry level government consultant makes about 700k montly excluding outside consultations while a new proffessor make about 430k.
This difference is quite understandable since doctors are quite functional.people who also bring in money for the facilites and also impart knowledge on students while proffesors only impart knowledge and hardly bring in any money to their universties.
Nigeria doctors are one of the most poorly paod in the world that is why we are losing them by thousands to better paying countries like the us,uk,saudi arabia and now even namibia and botswana where they are in very high demand.

In Nigeria,d entry salary for some consultants in some specialties is as low as 400k.

3 Likes

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by prinsam30: 7:17am On Apr 21, 2016
go and ask Professor Osinbajo the VP he will tell you better
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by GogetterMD(m): 7:17am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:

Your quoted figures are highly exaggerated. Entry level Medical Consultants at home and abroad don't earn Asiko much as the figures you quoted.

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by symbianDON(m): 7:17am On Apr 21, 2016
sandraokosun:
i dont know how much these two earn but a ward councillor earns more than them.
this is quite incorrect. a medical consultant earns nearly a million monthly while a professor earns nearly half a million as monthly salary. a ward councillor earns less than 300k.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Chinaimporter: 7:24am On Apr 21, 2016
dokiOloye:
In Nigeria,d entry salary for some consultants in some specialties is as low as 400k.

All entry level consultants are paid the same salary in goverment facilities.
They are all under the same conmess salary scale whether you are a neurosurgeon or a geriatrician.
I am not talking private practice here.
I know because i am an accountant in the health ministry.

2 Likes

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by forstergr8t(m): 7:26am On Apr 21, 2016
Are you out of job and don't know what to do? or maybe you are a graduate hopping up and down throwing cvs and no job coming. DON'T waste 2016 for nothing. You can become a blogger and it will take you world wide. Contact me to build a professional business blog with very responsive theme. I will interview you to know the kind of niche you are good at so that you will not run out of idea in the future. I will help you to monetize your blog through ADs companies. I will help you connect with up to 20 good affiliate programs related to your blog in other to make money from each of them. I will teach you how to use affiliate banners to drive customers to buy their products so that you will earn commission in dollars. I will also teach you how to drive traffic through social media like facebook, twitter, google+, etc. BE SELF EMPLOYED TODAY AND EMPLOY OTHERS. Its very affordable. contact me on 07046498734
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Rashman578(m): 7:31am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:

Absolute virus... Pls whr did u get ur info 4rm? Pls always endevour to carry out research b4 misleadin pple.
Well i dnt knw of a medical consultant but a human medicine n vet medicine prof earns notin less dan 850k,,,while prof in other discipline is not less dan 550
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by fiftynaira(m): 7:35am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:

Plus a professor sorts
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by DeRuggedProf: 7:36am On Apr 21, 2016
Linda Ikeji or Wizkid... grin grin grin grin.

I expect pple to insult me for not understanding the question, but read philosophically... grin grin grin
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Nobody: 7:39am On Apr 21, 2016
Entry level consultant who is not a lecturer, makes around 480k per month while a Consultant at his PEAK of career almost about to retire earns around 900k per month. (Note CMD may earn around 1.8Million per month).

Note this does not include money they make from private hospitals and other personal activities.

Entry level professor makes around 350k per month while Professor at his peak almost about to retire earns around 550k per month. (Note a VC can earn up to 1.5Million per month)

This does not include money lecturers makes from research and other consultancy outside the university.

below are the proof.

visit this link for more details

https://www.nairaland.com/3060727/medical-consultant-salary-vs-professor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by ibadanfinest(m): 7:40am On Apr 21, 2016
medical consultants are mostly professors or at least associate professor. They consult for Hospitals and lecture in Universities.

A professor of economics consult for both commercial banks and CBN, am sure that will earn far more than a medical consultant

A professor of education that consults for ministry of education might earn less.

So it could be both ways.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Kei144(m): 7:43am On Apr 21, 2016
tunshe:

A medical consultant can also be a professor. Your question isn't clear.

What do you mean by entry level for a professor?

Or do you mean a lecturer at entry level and when he eventually becomes a professor and a medical officer at entry level and when he becomes a medical consultant?

Can you reframe it so that you could get better response from Nairalanders.

OP may be based in US where every lecturer is a professor in the general sense, even though Professor as a title or rank is same with Nigeria's Professor.

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by ibadanfinest(m): 7:44am On Apr 21, 2016
tuale4u:
Entry level consultant makes around 450k per month.
Entry level professor makes around 350k per month

Lol, some people self.

A medical consultant will get money from two places, ministry of health and ministry of education

Same way a professor of monetary economics consulting for CBN will get his income from two place. Ministry of education and CBN/Ministry of Finance

One will be salary the other consultancy fee. Plus no prof esp in fed universities earn less than 400+

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by emmaliver(m): 7:45am On Apr 21, 2016
Sinators, linda ikeji, main market boys earn far more than the both, and since our society worship wealth. they regard even d drug pushers more. If u doubt me ask Buruji n tinubu. Every man dey hustle im own joo
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:
medical consultants are mostly professors or at least associate professor. They consult for Hospitals and lecture in Universities.

A professor of economics consult for both commercial banks and CBN, am sure that will earn far more than a medical consultant

A professor of education that consults for ministry of education might earn less.

So it could be both ways.

The earnings are relative and dependent on different factors such as demand for the particular skill and the nature of the individual. There's no clear cut difference. I have seen professors who are bank chairmen in Nigeria. And I have seen medical professor die like chicken.
Professors in education are usually the richest due to multiple income streams. Please uites should talk joor economics department and faculty of education.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by d33types: 7:59am On Apr 21, 2016
YOU forget that most consultants especally in tertary institutions work in dual capacity as lecturers and consultants?? as in they attend to patients as well as teach undergraduate medical students and residents Doctors?

Isn't that more work than an ordinary university professor already? why wont they earn more??
**Let the hate flow**

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Tgirl4u: 7:59am On Apr 21, 2016
I work in a Medical field a Consultant earn more than a Professor, where I work the least the consultants earn is 800k while a medical doctor talking about the ones with experience of 4yrs and below earn from 250k and above. As at last year a Professor in one of the southern University was earning 500k with years of experience

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by NTAChannel5: 8:00am On Apr 21, 2016
Depends on their level
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Ifebazz(m): 8:00am On Apr 21, 2016
pacifique:
Consultants because of hazard, teaching and call allowance
Bros, minus the hazard allowance. That is not applicable to doctors in Nigeria.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by lordguapo51: 8:05am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:

The emboldened is very wrong!!!

That figure is the gross salary of a lecturer in a federal university (usually lecturer 1 or senior lecturer cadre) who also doubles as a consultant at the University's Teaching Hospital or a Federal Medical Center. By virtue of this, the consultant earns salaries from two places ;

- The University where he lectures

- The Federal ministry of health. This allowance (Albeit heavy), is known as Clinical Supplementation, which could also include call-duty allowance and all..

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Mbediogu(m): 8:06am On Apr 21, 2016
tunshe:

A medical consultant can also be a professor. Your question isn't clear.

What do you mean by entry level for a professor?

Or do you mean a lecturer at entry level and when he eventually becomes a professor and a medical officer at entry level and when he becomes a medical consultant?

Can you reframe it so that you could get better response from Nairalanders.

Medical Consultants who become professors earn more than other professors.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by lordguapo51: 8:10am On Apr 21, 2016
d33types:
YOU forget that most consultants especally in tertary institutions work in dual capacity as lecturers and consultants?? as in they attend to patents as well as teach undergraduate medical students and residents Doctors?

Isn't that more work than an ordinary university professor already? why wont they earn more??
**Let the hate flow**

You are very correct.
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 21, 2016
Everybody is using common sense and I'm disappointed because most people here don't know a consultant can also be a professor.
The starting salary for all federal government consultants in Nigeria is 700k monthly for a consultant is not only treating patients but also teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate students in the lecture rooms and in the hospitals also. And unlike other department lecturers teaching with MSc or PhD that start as lecturerII ,medical consultants start as senior lecturers which is the the next status after professor. I dint add private practice o. So why the fuss here!
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by emy77: 8:16am On Apr 21, 2016
I see some uninformed comments here. For the avoidance of doubt, the term professor in Nigeria means someone who has risen through the ranks in the academia and is at the peak of his career. This definition is important because in the United States for example, the term professor means any lecturer or member of the faculty.

An new average medical consultant earns about 500k monthly, while a new professor in Nigeria earns from about 750/800k monthly.

That's your answer there. I am a medical doctor with professor parents, so I should know.

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by bigerboy200: 8:19am On Apr 21, 2016
A prof medical consultant is highly paid coupled with d fact that they have private hospitals also..in specific terms a medical consultant would take more money home than a professor in other fields.. my one kobo tho
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Dadehmola: 8:24am On Apr 21, 2016
emy77:
I see some uninformed comments here. For the avoidance of doubt, the term professor in Nigeria means someone who has risen through the ranks in the academia and is at the peak of his career. This definition is important because in the United States for example, the term professor means any lecturer or member of the faculty.

An new average medical consultant earns about 500k monthly, while a new professor in Nigeria earns from about 750/800k monthly.

That's your answer there. I am a medical doctor with professor parents, so I should know.

Another lie...

The gross salary of a professor at a federal university (at the last salary step), isn't upto 550k, unless ofcourse he is a professor of medicine who also doubles as a consultant!!

You people should stop spreading falsehood biko!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by 0gbeni(m): 8:28am On Apr 21, 2016
op your question is not so clear... a consultant can also become a professor, if his/her hospital has an attached medical school

the entry salary of most consultants is around 450k and they start at lecturer 2/1

there are so many factors that determine what professors and consultants earn (experience, 'outside consulting', speciality etc) hence we may not be able to compare them en bloc
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 21, 2016
click on this link to get the full pay of a medical consultant:

https://www.nairaland.com/3060727/medical-consultant-salary-vs-professor
Re: Who Earns More Between A Professor And A Medical Consultant by Onyiridike(f): 8:33am On Apr 21, 2016
Chinaimporter:

Profs. don't generate money to the university?

You must be one of the arrogant doctors we have.

Who generate research grants to the universities?

Do you know how much the universities make from postgraduate students? Who lectures them?

Do you know that some Profs are also consultants to industries, WHO, UNICEF, among others.

It is not all about the basic salary and allowances.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Staff Of Baker Hughes Protest In Port-Harcourt / Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? / I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.