Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers (4032 Views)

First Bank To Sack 1000 Workers / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank / Intercontinental Bank Plc Sacks 1,500 Workers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by temmytanny(m): 9:24am On Sep 08, 2009
am begining to get worried over SANUSI's actions

More banks are sacking their workers as they struggle to adapt to the new corporate governance instituted by the Central Bank of Nigeria in its move to clean up the industry.

Yesterday, Wema Bank Plc sacked about 500 workers nationwide, including 25 top management staff, while First Bank of Nigeria Plc is also involved in a dispute with a labour union for allegedly forcing workers to resign.

Tunde Olofintila, a spokesperson for Wema Bank, who confirmed that the bank had sacked some workers, said the number was less than 500. He however refuse to disclose the number of workers affected. "Some people have been disengaged already, and as I speak, some are still receiving their letters," he said. "I cannot tell you how many people would be affected.

This is because letters are still being distributed to various people and I won't want to give you a figure that would later be incorrect. The whole process would have to be completed before an accurate number can be gotten, but I can assure you that it is not up to that number that you are talking about" he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5456600-146/story.csp
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by zmurda(m): 10:02am On Sep 08, 2009
damn!
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by eunisam: 11:33am On Sep 08, 2009
Why the sack?

Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by rosepearl(f): 11:43am On Sep 08, 2009
I pity those people who are sacked, gosh we nooow have a higher rate of unemployment, and sure more crimes comes in.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Oluschenco(m): 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2009
People should not sleep with their two eyes closed because unemployment will lead to more cases of robbery.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by knight4u(m): 12:32pm On Sep 08, 2009
Wahala dey for Naija!
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by oge4real(f): 12:33pm On Sep 08, 2009
Why are they sacking the workers? Are they responsible for the non performing loans running the banks down?
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by floriana(m): 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
My sister works there o. Can somebody re-assure me she will not be affected?
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by thithi(f): 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2009
knight4u:

Wahala dey for Naija!

There is something called recession out there and Nigeria is not immune to it.

temmytanny:

am begining to get worried over SANUSI's actions

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5456600-146/story.csp

Without his action, the bank might have collapsed and more would be out of job, it is called restructuring.
Oluschenco:

People should not sleep with their two eyes closed because unemployment will lead to more cases of robbery.

That is true, however, anyone that resulted into robbery cos of losing his/her job, must have always been a robber before, just never used the skill with guns.
eunisam:

Why the sack?

Sack is cos they need to restructure and they need to tight their wallet, cos time of free money is over. They now realize that some of the expectations on the marketers are insane.

Some of the people losing their jobs in Nigeria has always been unemployed"ly" employed, or how do u explain someone that has job and cant provide for his/her family, or those that dont even get paid for months?
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Easybaby(f): 1:14pm On Sep 08, 2009
This is not fair cry cry cry

let those ogas cut down their salaries b/4 the sacking undecided
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Dekingeze: 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
Is not 500 workers oooo. Today's Guardian says is 155 workers.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by kabola2009(m): 1:17pm On Sep 08, 2009
job loss  
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by thithi(f): 1:18pm On Sep 08, 2009
Easybaby:

This is not fair cry cry cry

let those ogas cut down their salaries b/4 the sacking undecided

25 of the executives has been laid off too, according to the news, so what else?
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by superstar1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2009
@ ALL BANKERS

Stopping doing big boys and girls on borrowed funds, stop going to UK unnecessarily on ur vacation, have concrete investments asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desprate times calls for desperate measures.

He that has ears, let him hear what the spirit is saying, A word is enough for the wise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Marymos: 2:28pm On Sep 08, 2009
This one is just wickedness and transfer of aggression.Is it the innocent bankers that said that none performing loan should be given out?People can no longer hear word again becos of economic meltdown.For more than twenty years now they have been economic meltdown in Nigeria.Just becos America started crying economic meltdown the whole world started shouting economic meltdown.God will comfort all those that are affected.I really feel for them.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Utaroz(m): 2:47pm On Sep 08, 2009
I wonder at the total staff strenght of Wema Bank, if 500 can be dropped in one swoop! If the number is correct, how will this impact on service delivery? The most worrisome concern is whether there is a buffer for the affected "victims" in terms of meaningful severance packages, undecided undecided sad
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by rickie4us(m): 2:49pm On Sep 08, 2009
Utaroz:

I wonder at the total staff strenght of Wema Bank, if 500 can be dropped in one swoop! If the number is correct, how will this impact on service delivery? The most worrisome concern is whether there is a buffer for the affected "victims" in terms of meaningful severance packages, undecided undecided sad

I wonder
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Blow(m): 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2009
This is very bad,

Although We know the economic recession just kicked off last year in some advanced countries.
The government of these countries are making efforts to cushion the effects,
These countries are better off before the recession period,

But Nigeria has been in economic recession since the 90's,
So trying to worsen the situation bcoz of the so called global problem is not acceptable,
The employment rate in Nigeria has not been good since I can remember,
Why should we allow it to get worse.
This whole financial problem in the country is some kind of set up to further impoverished the already poor and average nigerians.

I thought the government said they had pump in some bailout fund to the financial industry,
Why these alarming loss of jobs, ? There is more to it than met the eyes,
I rest.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Nezan(m): 3:57pm On Sep 08, 2009
bad
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by tainot2002(m): 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
Will that be the best decision to curb this problem?Why can they slash their workers' salary to reduce cost rather than laying off workers.It has said that when two elephant fights,it's grass that will suffer the conquency.God help us in this country o.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by mayordee(m): 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2009
angry angry angry, what is going on in my beloved country? sad
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2009
na waoooo sad too bad

hmmm,
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by sayso: 5:50pm On Sep 08, 2009
when ignorances is the norm among people that  are making decision for this nation,this is what happens,will they make alternative for these people,families.America bail out funds are for the workers,so that their jobs will be save while the company battles for survival.Ours is to sack workers while the chiefs/MDs still the bailout money.God is watching us
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by youngmonie: 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2009
Fyneee sanusi is trying to restructure the banking industryy, der r better ways of resturcturingg dat wil nt affect potential investors and stakeolders in d bank. sacking of workerss in banks is just one of the numerous effects of his actionss. And the manfcturing industry as wel as petroleum indstryyy is goin to be affected the most by thiss, nd for those talking rbsih bout bank executives living big, goshh , its nt der falt, check CEO's of banks in other country so its nt der fault,
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by triistar86: 6:48pm On Sep 08, 2009
floriana:

My sister works there o. Can somebody re-assure me she will not be affected?
Don't worry about that I would speak to the appropriate authorities to make sure your sister is not affected by the mass sack. LWKMD!
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by naijatoday: 6:54pm On Sep 08, 2009
sayso:

when ignorances is the norm among people that  are making decision for this nation,this is what happens,will they make alternative for these people,families.America bail out funds are for the workers,so that their jobs will be save while the company battles for survival.Ours is to sack workers while the chiefs/MDs still the bailout money.God is watching us

In America companies that received bailout are still firing people till today as we speak. Even with the bailout banks 80+ banks have failed and they are already predicting it could reach 100. Let be honest with ourselves, the economic situation has forced a lot of companies around the world to restructure and cutcost. Even banks and companies that did not receive bailout out are cutting jobs.

Unfortunately in Nigeria the situation is worse, because the economy has been bad before now. In Nigeria before the Sanusi firing, banks were already slashing workers salary and firing people behind close door, the difference now is that it is getting newspaper attention. And most banks did not want to come out and say they were firing becasue it would have been a sign all is not well with the bank and now the CBN has come out and said the truth.
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by lawrence83: 6:57pm On Sep 08, 2009
triistar86:

Don't worry about that I would speak to the appropriate authorities to make sure your sister is not affected by sack. LWKMD!
bad pigin grin grin grin grin ROFLMFAO
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by GeorgeD1(m): 7:39pm On Sep 08, 2009
another failing of sls bank reforms. angry
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by Chizua(m): 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gentlemen, we are yet to see the effect of our new "Sanusisation Theory".  "a good decision at the wrong time".  Credit facilities has been frozen by banks.  Oil companies cannot have access to loan and cannot import or execute contracts.  Companies are begining to wind up, Naira continues to depreciating on weekly basis against Dollar.  It is bad.  Sanusi is good guy with right solution; but at the wrong time.  He is "Intelligent without wisdom"
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by GeorgeD1(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
but you're already seeing the effect unfolding before your very eyes!
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by lekantunji: 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2009
I think the sack is an eye opener to more rightsizing exercise that will take place in the Banking Industry. Bankers donot really have job security May God help us oooooooooooooooooo angry
Re: Wema Banks Sack 500 Workers by sammuella(m): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2009
Can anyone tell me d criterion for laying off a worker. Or is this an avenue for superiors 2 settle scores with surbordinates they consider enemies?

, The fear of death is worse than death itself!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Getting That C.V. Right / Should I Quit My Bank Job For Masters In Uk? / H1B Visa - Nigerians Need To Explore It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.