Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue (7209 Views)

Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... / . / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 12:55am On Dec 03, 2009
Hi All,

My Maxima recently developed a problem. I noticed that sometime it revs very high and does not move much. I would rev it up to 5 and it would only be doing 40km/hr. If I rev it a bit more it seems to pick up just for a short while and then go back to little movement with the high reving. I also noticed that it happens after I have used it for a while say I have been on the road for say one hour. It does not happen with short journeys.
Would anyone know about this and does anyone know a good maxima mechanic in Lagos? I stay in Gbagada and for the 3 years I have used the car I have not really had any major engine/transmission issue and I suspect my current mechanic is not equipped for this kind of job
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by patbrooks: 2:10am On Dec 03, 2009
Zuby, from my experience i think you need a complete computer diagnostics on the car. I feel you have not serviced your transmission since you bought the car. transmision should be handled as if you are changing the oil of the car. do that and make sure that they change the filter on the transmission too. and use a synthetic transmission fluid for import cars not domestic cars as we refer to it in the USA.

let me repeat: do a diagnostics on it.
service transmission. use the specified fluid. dont listen to the mechanic as most cars are technologically advanced now adays than our mechanic will admit.
take care.

if you have a question let me know so i can find out from a service agent in Atlanta that works in Nissan at Gwinnet place in Duluth GA. ok.

Pat brooks.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
Thanks so much. I wonder should I just service the transmission first and change the oil and see if that stops? What does servicing a transmission entail apart from changing the oil. You are right, I have not serviced the transmission before. I asked about changing the oil but the mechanics I met always said the oil was ok.

Thanks so much bro
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by ambyzown(m): 2:25pm On Dec 04, 2009
Have your transmission oil and filter changed. From your description of the problem, it appears that your ATF is worn and becomes extremely light when hot. This results in your fluid being less viscous which in turn causes a loss of power in the torque converter. You should also run a diagnostic as suggested by Patbrooks.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by biggiyke(m): 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2009
i drive a 2001 altima and i had the same challenges before i understood what was happening. i think its a general issue with nissan cars.
what i found out finally was that the a/c load on the engine is attimes overbearing especially after long distances. try switching off the a/c whenever it happens next time, you'd be amazed at how fast your car will respond.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2009
Ha! It would really be funny if that is the problem but then it could well be. I live in Lagos and the weather in the past month or so has been terrible! For the first time I find that somtimes having the ac in 2 will not do and I have to switch to 3 (have not had to do that since I bought the car) though I always keep an eye on the temprature guage.

Thanks so much for the tip. I would just service the transmission and try reduce the AC use and watch the impact. You guys are the bomb. How else would I have gotten such valuable info. I would probably do the diagonistics also (though I hate paying N10k to some smart guy for hooking up some wires to my car)

Thanks you all
biggiyke:

i drive a 2001 altima and i had the same challenges before i understood what was happening. i think its a general issue with nissan cars.
what i found out finally was that the a/c load on the engine is attimes overbearing especially after long distances. try switching off the a/c whenever it happens next time, you'd be amazed at how fast your car will respond.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 2:02pm On Dec 08, 2009
Thanks so much Pat. I would work on your advice and get back to you in a week or two with feedback. I appreciate.

patbrooks:

Zuby, from my experience i think you need a complete computer diagnostics on the car. I feel you have not serviced your transmission since you bought the car. transmision should be handled as if you are changing the oil of the car. do that and make sure that they change the filter on the transmission too. and use a synthetic transmission fluid for import cars not domestic cars as we refer to it in the USA.

let me repeat: do a diagnostics on it.
service transmission. use the specified fluid. dont listen to the mechanic as most cars are technologically advanced now adays than our mechanic will admit.
take care.

if you have a question let me know so i can find out from a service agent in Atlanta that works in Nissan at Gwinnet place in Duluth GA. ok.

Pat brooks.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by parates(m): 12:25am On Dec 10, 2009
Plz I am trying to make up my mind on weather to get a maxima or a camry, which do you prefer and are there any other problems with the nissan maxima, like gear box and others,
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by KunleA2(m): 1:09am On Dec 10, 2009
parates:

Plz I am trying to make up my mind on weather to get a maxima or a camry, which do you prefer and are there any other problems with the nissan maxima, like gear box and others,

i would get a camry. maxima is a little bit cheaper tho.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by parates(m): 1:46am On Dec 10, 2009
Kunle-A:

i would get a camry. maxima is a little bit cheaper tho.

what are your reasons?
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by KunleA2(m): 2:56am On Dec 10, 2009
parates:

what are your reasons?

Camry, in my opinion has a better build quality than Maxima. Not that Maxima are bad per se, but toe-toe, built quality wise. The max doesnt have an option of a 4cyl. Hence, the cost of operation will be higher than that of a Camry (unless of course you get a 6cyl camry). Max can be prone to some electrical issues especially if you let someone who doesn't qualify to touch it. Camry can still tolerate few electrical missteps.

Lastly, when you re-sell, camry will sell for more than a maxima as a naija used. Of course you paid a little bit more for the camry in the first place. I hope you are clear.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 9:43pm On Dec 12, 2009
Kunle-A:

Camry, in my opinion has a better build quality than Maxima. Not that Maxima are bad per se, but toe-toe, built quality wise. The max doesnt have an option of a 4cyl. Hence, the cost of operation will be higher than that of a Camry (unless of course you get a 6cyl camry). Max can be prone to some electrical issues especially if you let someone who doesn't qualify to touch it. Camry can still tolerate few electrical missteps.

Lastly, when you re-sell, camry will sell for more than a maxima as a naija used. Of course you paid a little bit more for the camry in the first place. I hope you are clear.

I agree with you Kunle. The maxima is a more complex car and it makes me very careful who handles the car. This would make it a bit more expensive to maintain but man the car is a beaut. You cannot compare a camry and a maxima when it comes to looks. The max is in it's own class. I have used mine for 2 years and this is the first time I have had an issue like this. It has not even occured again for almost one week. I have no regrets buying the max. I never planned to use the car for 10 years so what the heck. Any car bought in a good condition will serve you 2-3 years without issues and if I use a car for 3 years the it is time i let it go chikina.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by femionasan(m): 10:34am On Dec 13, 2009
Hello Azubike, have you been able to sort out the issue with regards to the issue posted earlier? I have had the same issue myself. After the diagnosis i found out it was the speed sensor that caused the whole problem. I am presently trying to order for one from the US cos the one i bought for N5,000.00 here lasted for only two months. Anyway i almost sure the speed sensor is the cause of this trouble.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by arsenal4va(m): 11:13am On Dec 13, 2009
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by sultaan(m): 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2009
femionasan:

Hello Azubike, have you been able to sort out the issue with regards to the issue posted earlier? I have had the same issue myself. After the diagnosis i found out it was the speed sensor that caused the whole problem. I am presently trying to order for one from the US cos the one i bought for N5,000.00 here lasted for only two months. Anyway i almost sure the speed sensor is the cause of this trouble.

I'm not sure what type of part you got for N5k, but it cost around $200, for an after market part in US
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Speed_Sensor/NISSAN/MAXIMA

But you have to pull the codes first before you start throwing money around.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by KunleA2(m): 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2009
sultaan:

I'm not sure what type of part you got for N5k, but it cost around $200, for an after market part in US
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Speed_Sensor/NISSAN/MAXIMA

But you have to pull the codes first before you start throwing money around.

its gotta be used!
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by femionasan(m): 5:16pm On Dec 13, 2009
Yes, it was used part.
Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue by azubike1: 12:07am On Dec 15, 2009
Thanks Femi and Arsenal for the added tips. I planned to do it last Saturday but they were working on the road out from my house and the whole place was just blocked. I could not go out. That means I have to leave it till next Saturday because I do not have such time during the week. Thanks you all.
azubike1:

I agree with you Kunle. The maxima is a more complex car and it makes me very careful who handles the car. This would make it a bit more expensive to maintain but man the car is a beaut. You cannot compare a camry and a maxima when it comes to looks. The max is in it's own class. I have used mine for 2 years and this is the first time I have had an issue like this. It has not even occured again for almost one week. I have no regrets buying the max. I never planned to use the car for 10 years so what the heck. Any car bought in a good condition will serve you 2-3 years without issues and if I use a car for 3 years the it is time i let it go chikina.

(1) (Reply)

Benz Ml350 Or Ml550??? / Do You Know Your Car Tyre Can Jeopardize Your Safety? / Fake Engine Oils In Lagos... Dru23 source not confirmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.