Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! (446 Views)

Prophetess Mummy B: Bobrisky Should Repent Or Be Incurably Sick, God Warns / Why The Teaching Of HELLFIRE Is A Myth Or Lie / Lord's Chosen Members Lie On The Ground, Perform Stunts In Benin. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 26, 2017
I've been reading the bible so much lately and then I came across this book Numbers 23:19 on KJV Which says "God is not a man, that he should lie ; neither the son of man, that he should repent; hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken , and shall he not make it good?"

now after seeing and believing on the bolded up there, I never thought I will come across any portion of the bible that will say otherwise, but then I did.

now lets see what 1Kings 22:23 has to say in reference to Numbers 23:19 above.

KJV version reads "Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee"

the above scripture talks about God investing in his prophets the spirit of a lying tongue to prophesy falsely to king Ahab. remember Numbers 23:19 says God doesn't lie?

okay lets see more evidences on the book of Amos 7:3 in KJV which says "the LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the LORD GOD"

the book of Exodus 32:14 also says "and the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people"

1Chronicles 21:15 says "And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand"

Now to the well devoted Christians in the house, please tell me by what God really meant in the book of Numbers 23:19 because I don't want to believe that God can Lie and can Repent cos right now, those other scriptures are making me think otherwise or do they mean a different thing? or is it that I don't understand or know the meanings of "Lie and Repent"?

please help me out... God bless you.
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Liveair: 8:38am On Mar 26, 2017
O Bible! where is thy truth.

When you study the history of the Bible and it's introduction into the original Talmud, you'll understand why some informed people don't take it seriously.
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by ScepticalPyrrho: 8:57am On Mar 26, 2017
Thank Osiris for Nairaland.

Bible Flaws; illogicality, contradictions, inconsistencies, fallacies, threats, massacres, distruction, pain, pointlessness, absurdities, mythologies, obsession, selfishness...

...all the wrongly interpreted contents of the "holy book".
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by greenmonk: 9:00am On Mar 26, 2017
Words interpretation are not always their literal meaning but interpreted from the context they are used.
U may repent of revenge of the wrong done u when you forgive the person who offended you.

1 Like

Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Nobody: 9:03am On Mar 26, 2017
Make i summon the bible scholar who chant the anthem "WITHOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT, YOU CAN NEVER UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE".

Cc doctoralien, felixomor, kingebukasblog, Wilgrea7, enshy, tosyne2much.

U would have love to include Junia, but na olódo e b
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 26, 2017
and use every kind of wicked deceit on those who will perish. They will perish because they did not welcome and love the truth so as to be saved. 11 And so God sends the power of error to work in them so that they believe what is false. 12 The result is that all who have not believed the truth, but have taken pleasure in sin, will be condemned. 2 Thess 2:9ff

When people accept the truth by the thenselves God gives the the grace to believe more and be saved. However when they reject the truth after all of God's effort he helps them to be destroyed

4 Certainly not! God must be true, even though all human beings are liars. As the scripture says, Romans 3:4
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 26, 2017
EBLABOR:
and use every kind of wicked deceit on those who will perish. They will perish because they did not welcome and love the truth so as to be saved. 11 And so God sends the power of error to work in them so that they believe what is false. 12 The result is that all who have not believed the truth, but have taken pleasure in sin, will be condemned. 2 Thess 2:9ff

When people accept the truth by the thenselves God gives the the grace to believe more and be saved. However when they reject the truth after all of God's effort he helps them to be destroyed

4 Certainly not! God must be true, even though all human beings are liars. As the scripture says, Romans 3:4
you haven't still decipher the scriptures I posted up there sad
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by mexxmoney: 9:51am On Mar 26, 2017
You must understand that the KIng James Version of the bible was not written in our present day English but rather an ancient form so you must understand what some of the words used translate to in modern English. The passage you quoted in 1 kings 22 did not say God lied, if you read from the beginning of the chapter, you will see that God wanted to punish king Ahab and a lying spirit volunteered to be the instrument that will be used and God permitted him. God is the master of the whole universe including of the devil and his demons,they are all subject to His authority and He can use any to carry out His purpose. It was the lying spirit that lied through Ahab's prophets and God permitted it because He wanted to punish Ahab for his sin against Naboth. The word "repent" would roughly translate to " He changed His mind" not like repenting from sin. In most of those cases, people sinned and God decided to punish them, they however repented and cried to God for forgiveness and he forgave them and changed His mind from punishing them or He had already started punishing them and decided to stop. That is the context in which the words "God repented" was mostly used in the Bible. Not as if He commited some sin and then repented of it
Re: Does God Repent Or Lie? Check! by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 26, 2017
mexxmoney:
You must understand that the KIng James Version of the bible was not written in our present day English but rather an ancient form so you must understand what some of the words used translate to in modern English. The passage you quoted in 1 kings 22 did not say God lied, if you read from the beginning of the chapter, you will see that God wanted to punish king Ahab and a lying spirit volunteered to be the instrument that will be used and God permitted him. God is the master of the whole universe including of the devil and his demons,they are all subject to His authority and He can use any to carry out His purpose. It was the lying spirit that lied through Ahab's prophets and God permitted it because He wanted to punish Ahab for his sin against Naboth. The word "repent" would roughly translate to " He changed His mind" not like repenting from sin. In most of those cases, people sinned and God decided to punish them, they however repented and cried to God for forgiveness and he forgave them and changed His mind from punishing them or He had already started punishing them and decided to stop. That is the context in which the words "God repented" was mostly used in the Bible. Not as if He commited some sin and then repented of it
very good analysis. but you got me at the bolded. The bible talks about 'killing' to be a Sin and in one of the scriptures I posted there, God sent his angel to kill and to destroy the city. then after he saw that it was bad, he Repented and told his angel to retreat. now do you want to tell me that it was a good thing that the lord did to kill thousands of people and destroy the whole city because of one man's sin (which was actually committed by david just because he numbered Israel) mbok tell me.

(1) (Reply)

Who Deflowered You? / Oobe / WHY Does Nairaland Have A Special Section For Muslims ONLY?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.