Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business (1167 Views)

Snail Farming Na Gold In 9ja, Revealed Live How To Start Snail Farming With Zero / Updated - How To Construct a Snail House for Snail Farming Business / My Experience About Snail Farming, Pictures, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by chiblaze07(m): 12:02am On Apr 27, 2017
Snail farming business is a goldmine for steady stream of income, but way too many of us have not discovered how profitable this slow-moving creature can be to its farmer. Snail Farming is Lucrative only if you have the right knowledge to succeed in the business. After reading this post, you will have enough knowledge on how to start snail farming business.

As our population becomes more interested in healthier living, snails have been found to fill in perfectly as a nutritional favorite. Snails contain almost all the amino acids needed by the body and most of its by-products are used for cosmetics and medicines. The low-fat content and low cholesterol level of snails, make snail meat a good antidote for cardio vascular disease such as hypertension, cardiac arrest, and stroke.

Apart from the great taste and health benefits of snails, many people like to keep them for keepsakes as pets. Snail shells could also be used for ornamental purposes or grinded and used to replace bone meal and oyster shell in animal and livestock feed.

The same snails that some people raise or gather as food are also agricultural pests that cause considerable crop damage. For this reason, countries like USA and Australia have banned the importation of live snails. However, snails can be processed and exported to European countries or to North America, especially to the USA, which imports hundreds of millions of US dollars’ worth of snail meat annually. Other important markets are Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Canada, Japan, Sweden, Austria, and Netherlands. To export snails, you need to obtain export license from your country. If you are interested, you could read up How To Obtain Export License For Agricultural Products In Nigeria.

What Snails are suitable for Snail Farming?

Achatina is a genus of medium-sized to very large, air-breathing, tropical land snails, a terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks in the family Achatinidae. There are a lot of species of Achatinidae in Sub-Saharan Africa. Some species are kept for tourist attraction due to their size and colourful shells.

For the purposes of snail farming however, we will concern ourselves with only the three species of that genus that is commercially viable, marketable, and of course profitable. They are Achatina achatina, Achatina marginata and finally, Achatina fulica.

Factors to Consider When Starting a Snail Farm

Site Selection
Climatic factors
Housing (snailery)
Where to get snails
Feeds and snail feeding
Harvesting
Pests and diseases
When to start snail farming
Initial capital outlay

http://www.agro4africa.com/animal/snail-farming/snail-farming-business/
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by chiblaze07(m): 12:51am On May 12, 2017
chiblaze07:
Snail farming business is a goldmine for steady stream of income, but way too many of us have not discovered how profitable this slow-moving creature can be to its farmer. Snail Farming is Lucrative only if you have the right knowledge to succeed in the business. After reading this post, you will have enough knowledge on how to start snail farming business.

As our population becomes more interested in healthier living, snails have been found to fill in perfectly as a nutritional favorite. Snails contain almost all the amino acids needed by the body and most of its by-products are used for cosmetics and medicines. The low-fat content and low cholesterol level of snails, make snail meat a good antidote for cardio vascular disease such as hypertension, cardiac arrest, and stroke.

Apart from the great taste and health benefits of snails, many people like to keep them for keepsakes as pets. Snail shells could also be used for ornamental purposes or grinded and used to replace bone meal and oyster shell in animal and livestock feed.

The same snails that some people raise or gather as food are also agricultural pests that cause considerable crop damage. For this reason, countries like USA and Australia have banned the importation of live snails. However, snails can be processed and exported to European countries or to North America, especially to the USA, which imports hundreds of millions of US dollars’ worth of snail meat annually. Other important markets are Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Canada, Japan, Sweden, Austria, and Netherlands. To export snails, you need to obtain export license from your country. If you are interested, you could read up How To Obtain Export License For Agricultural Products In Nigeria.

Achatina is a genus of medium-sized to very large, air-breathing, tropical land snails, a terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks in the family Achatinidae. There are a lot of species of Achatinidae in Sub-Saharan Africa. Some species are kept for tourist attraction due to their size and colourful shells.

For the purposes of snail farming however, we will concern ourselves with only the three species of that genus that is commercially viable, marketable, and of course profitable. They are Achatina achatina, Achatina marginata and finally, Achatina fulica.

Site Selection
Climatic factors
Housing (snailery)
Where to get snails
Feeds and snail feeding
Harvesting
Pests and diseases
Initial capital outlay

You can also read HOW TO CONSTRUCT A SNAIL HOUSE HERE
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by Wohlers: 8:10am On Jun 03, 2017
Hello, hope this is the right forum for my question. I need 30-50 shells (no snails) from younger achatina (species that are used for breeding) for a small exhibition here in Germany about snail farming in Nigeria. So, no fully grown, I have those, but from younger achatina, to show how they grow/how the snail becomes bigger (30-50 shells in different sizes).
Anybody there who can sell me those and ship them securely packed to my address in Germany? I offer to pay 50 Euro plus shipping costs.
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by nams77: 8:19am On Jun 03, 2017
Wohlers:
Hello, hope this is the right forum for my question. I need 30-50 shells (no snails) from younger achatina (species that are used for breeding) for a small exhibition here in Germany about snail farming in Nigeria. So, no fully grown, I have those, but from younger achatina, to show how they grow/how the snail becomes bigger (30-50 shells in different sizes).
Anybody there who can sell me those and ship them securely packed to my address in Germany? I offer to pay 50 Euro plus shipping costs.
OK. Will get to that. Can you give a specific size, say in centimeters/inches? Quote me in your response
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by Wohlers: 9:39am On Jun 06, 2017
The size of the shells would need to be of young snails. Not sure, but I would guess from something like 1-2cm to 8-10cm? As I wrote I can get adult snail shells from Achatinae here in Germany but not the smaller shells. 30-50 of those smaller ones (different sizes) is what I am looking for.

nams77:

OK. Will get to that. Can you give a specific size, say in centimeters/inches? Quote me in your response
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by boygeorge: 2:32pm On Jun 06, 2017
Hello, pls i wish to start a small snail farm. Can anyone supply me with the baby snails and a brief tutorial on how to construct the pen, type of soil to be used, type of food, drugs etc. Please i am based in Abuja. I'm looking at an initial small seed capital of ten thousand naira. 08060661311. Thank you all.
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by Wohlers: 4:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
various sizes, let´s say from 2-3 to 10-12cm. Does that help?

nams77:

Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by lordhugo(m): 4:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
Wohlers:

Hello Sir,

I can help you with that order fairly easy.

Send me a mail at farmingenquiries@gmail.com.

I process snails so I happen to have a lotta shells though we crack them open.

I can help you select 50 unbroken shells.

Do do mind if the shells are scarred naturally or you want "perfect" shells.

Hugo.
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by nams77: 5:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
Wohlers:
various sizes, let´s say from 2-3 to 10-12cm. Does that help?

Pls PM me if you still interested. Been away for a while
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by chiblaze07(m): 12:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
chiblaze07:

Site Selection
Climatic factors
Housing (snailery)
Where to get snails
Feeds and snail feeding
Harvesting
Pests and diseases
Initial capital outlay

I still find this article to be very relevant till date.
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by chiblaze07(m): 6:30am On Mar 20, 2019
Wow

chiblaze07:

I still find this article to be very relevant to date.
Re: Updated - How To Start Snail Farming Business by chiblaze07(m): 10:32am On May 21, 2019
Have you started your snail farming business yet?

boygeorge:
Hello, pls i wish to start a small snail farm. Can anyone supply me with the baby snails and a brief tutorial on how to construct the pen, type of soil to be used, type of food, drugs etc. Please i am based in Abuja. I'm looking at an initial small seed capital of ten thousand naira. 08060661311. Thank you all.

(1) (Reply)

Palm Kernel Oil And Palm Kernel Cake / Supplier Of Locally Dried Maize, Gnc, Bones(egun Eran) / Clean And Quality Crayfish Available For Buyers And Suppliers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.