Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,374 members, 7,954,516 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:51 PM

What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use (1700 Views)

Name A Movie You Can Never Get Tired Of Watching / Lets Form A Film Crew And Make Movie Together / Best Site For Downloading Movie And TV Series(high Quality, HD) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 30, 2017
The words "movie" and "film" can be used as synomyns for each in most day to day situations. So, it is perfectly OK to ask "Did you like that film?" in the same way that you would ask "Did you like that movie?"

The word "film" is actually undergoing an evolution at the moment, which makes it quite an interesting word. From a technical point of view, film is a format. By that I mean film is the actual material that a movie is recorded to in production and projected from in a cinema. Over the last fifteen years there has been an explosion of new digital technology entering the movie production process. So, although most cinema movies are still shot and projected on 35mm film, this is no longer universally true. And, there is a growing trend in cinema projection away from showing a movies film and projecting digitally.

It's important to understand this technical revolution, because although film as a format is in decline, the usage of the word "film" is changing. So, for instance, these days even amongst movie professionals it would be fairly common to hear a conversation that went "We're shooting a short film at the weekend" "What are you shooting it on?" "We're shooting High Def, but we can't decide between the Sony and the Panasonic."

What this tells me is that the use of the word "film" has ceased to be a purely technical express of format, even in the industry. In fact the expression "digital film" has now become common place, even though from a technical point of view the idea of a "digital film" is idiotic.

That's the thing about language, usages change and adapt all the time. I suspect that even when film as product (ie strips of film run through cameras to capture light) ceases to exist, the word film will continue to mean "movie."

There is another modern trend which is also bringing the terms "movie" and "film" closer together in terms of meaning, that is Google. These days a great deal of writing is done online about "cinema" and "movies" and "film"... this means that writer wishing to attract readers have to make the assumption that people will google either "film making for beginners" or "movie making for beginners" in as their request. As a result of this, it's now common for writers to use both terms within their piece, in order to cater for both kinds of searches.

In terms of how the two words differ in usage, I know that I tend to use the word "movie" to mean a feature film (a piece of drama or documentary inteneded for cinema release which runs at about 90 minutes - even though the techincal definition of a feature is anything that runs over 45 minutes). Whereas "film" seems to be used in a much more liberal way and applied to "short films" etc etc. However, with that said, I don't think that is a universal usage.

Ironically, even though I know that it no longer applies even within the industry, I tend to us the word "film" in the technical sense, to mean film the format. This is because I am a digital snob and am very aware that film is almost never a part of my production processes... except, ironically, as a projection medium.

Source: Celebrities Observer

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by Oluwasaeon(m): 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2017
English wahala, good job op

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
English wahala, good job op

Thanks
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by FellaL: 6:12am On May 01, 2017
LOOL. See special tutorial. Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by cassidy1996(m): 10:21pm On May 01, 2017
i wan watch drama

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by tolulinks(m): 2:04am On May 02, 2017
Film is British. Movie is American

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Movie And A Film? When Is It Appropriate To Use by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 09, 2017
The words mean the same thing. The difference, is in the use of them. Movie/movies is an American word. Film/films is an English word, used by by British people.

(1) (Reply)

Sceneonetv.co - Download All Jenifa's Diary From Season 1 To Currennt Season / Audition! Audition!! Audition!!! / Man Falls In Love With a Robot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.