Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. (1507 Views)

Diary Of A Pig Farmer / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 3:11pm On Oct 07, 2017
I've had so many opportunities to meet with several pig farmers both in person (one on one) and online, during our meetings we usually engage in so many discussions ranging from start up cost, making profit in the business ,the problem been faced by judicious farmers in the business,sales and marketing, and so on. However, there are few things that has got my attention during most of my dialogues with my colleagues in this venture, it seems the root of most of the problem is down to one thing, being an experienced pig farmer, who have garnered enough experience right from my childhood till now ( I was born and raised in this business), I realized most mistakes made by most start up pig farmers are something they could have easily avoided on the on-set if they had put some few things into practice by gathering some useful information which might have really helped.

I will like to highlight some of the problems most farmers who consulted me usually encounter, what perplex me most is that, these are problems one could easily have avoided. Piggery is a very nice and profitable agric venture one could rely on, I told you I was raised up through this means and by the grace of God will raise more up through this same mean.The bottom line is, as profitable and reliable the venture is, if one did not take care to get some vital information, one may likely end up despising the business due to frustrations brought about by lack of knowledge one fails to pick up when planning the start up.
Will like to put these problems in form of FAQS (i.e. Frequently Asked Questions ) for our easy understanding.

1. My pigs seem to be growing very slow or not growing at all, what could be the cause?:

This particular issue could get a farmer so frustrated to the extent of hating the business for life. Whenever I'm asked this question, I usually ask the person these two questions,what breed do you have in stock and what are you feeding them? The later seems to be the only question most could answer, many do not know the name of the particular breed they have in stock and those that know don't know much about the characteristics of these breeds, and the worst case is, most start up farmers are sold crossbreeds, concoction as many professional pig farmers would call it in the name of pure breds or exotic breeds, falling into wrong hands you would say? Not like that sometimes, most of us love cheap things and there is nothing wrong about that, I love cheap things too cos it would save me some bucks ,but sometimes in business, cheap things don't normally stand the test of time,the result are usually poor and brings more expenses one could have ultimately duck in the start. Sometimes what we think we got in good bargain may not actually be until we give it time.
Pure line and exotic breeds are usually expensive, but they will put your mind at rest and save you from headaches for a very long time with proper management.

2. When will I start making profit? I don't seem to understand the process:

The first time I was asked this question by a stranger I met online, I was so surprised someone would venture into a business without knowing how profitable the business is or how to carry out it profit making process, cos Piggery is not like some other businesses which is quite difficult to predict the time profit would start coming in which could sometimes be uncertain and indefinite.
As far as any business is concerned, the primary objective of venturing into it is to make profit, the rest are secondary. Piggery as I said earlier is a very profitable venture and that which one could even rely on, and it's quite easy to know when to start making profit, and its process, although, there are some factors which might delay profit making in the business for a beginner, but it not something of a very big note.

3. I'm spending too much on feeding,why is it so and is there a way out?

Like I will always tell anybody that come to me for consultation, feeding alone takes up to 60-70% of the total production of a pig and for you to be able to maximize and make more profit, you have to know how to spend less on feeding without altering the wellbeing of the pigs and also, timing of sales is very essential, always know when to sell and when not to sell, when a pig has reached a live weight of 100kg and above, there is no point still retaining it except it is a parent stock. Once a pig has reached this weight, feed intake tends to increase while the daily gain remains almost the same. Many farmers do not know this, they think the bigger the pig is, the more money it fetches without realizing the losses they might have incurred during the production of the stock from day one to that period.

4. I started with exotic breeds that grow well but now I can no longer point to one as an exotic breed again and those left now don't grow fast like the breeds I started with, why?

This question is very common among those who have the financial strenght to get a very good breeds in the start but lacked some certain knowledge on animal husbandry to manage their stock. I will always advise anybody who consults me to go with only one pure bred that you can easily manage if you know you are lacking knowledge on animal husbandry , many pig farmers when starting up buys like two different kind of pure bred which is very good, but without adequate management of the stock, eventually they run out of pure breds and later ended up having crossbreeds, not even hybrids left in their stock.

The aforementioned questions and many more are some of the challenges that easily send some farmers out of the business, many would say there is no money in piggery or keep asking the question that how do people make money in piggery?
I have only got a good news and a bad news and will like to give the bad news first which is, is not everybody that will make money in piggery as it is not meant for all and this is the good news, it is anybody that can make money in piggery in as much you know the way, that is just the pure fact. The world keeps evolving and new things shouldn't be done in old ways if better result is expected.

I don't want many farmers to make those mistakes again and that is why I have taken my time to list out some of the fluffs that easily frustrate the efforts of assiduous agropreneur.
For consultation and more enquiries, you can contact me @ +2348020626259. My consultation is almost free cos I will be passing on a lifetime knowledge to you.

Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Gadgetmobil(m): 3:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
Kindly whatsapp me on 07036814644, you didn't state your whatsapp line
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 4:32pm On Oct 07, 2017
Gadgetmobil:
Kindly whatsapp me on 07036814644, you didn't state your whatsapp line
you can chat me on whatsapp through this line +2348060424589.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 9:41am On Feb 19, 2018
Do You Spend Up To #90 (Ninety naira) /kg of Feed To Feed Your Pigs Daily? That Will Eat Up Your Profits.

Do You Know There Are Some Cheap Feed Materials Out There You Can Make Use Of And Get The Best Out From? Brewery Waste For Instance Is A Very Cheap Feed Material Which Is Low In Nutrients, Smart Farmers Have Known Ways To Get The Best Out Of This Feed Material By Turning It Into A Very Nutritious Meal For Their Pigs And Birds.
Contact Me For More Info On This +2348060424589.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Farmafric(m): 10:15am On Feb 19, 2018
Pig Ni:pple drinkers are always available at FarmerGiant NIG LTD.
For inquiries, click on the websites below and call us on: 08074349597.

Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 12:51pm On Feb 19, 2018
Feeding Takes At Least 70% Of The Total Cost Of Feeding Of Pigs. To Maximize Your Profit, You Have To Really Play It Smart When Sourcing For Feed Materials To Feed Your Pigs.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 1:02pm On Feb 19, 2018
I Was At A Farm Some Months Back For A Business Transaction And Getting To The Farm, I Was Amazed When I Got To Know How This Farmer Feeds His Stock. If I Told You Would You Believe? This Man Makes Money From The Same Feed Material He Feeds His Pig With, Yes! You Heard Me Right, He Buys The Material,get Some Extra Bucks From It And Still Feed His Pigs With It. His Feeding Cost Has Gone Down By Nearly 40%.
I Know You Will Like To Know How He Does This, And I Will Like To Share With You Too, But Before Then, I Want To Know If You Are Following. Questions Can Be Asked.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by underwater(m): 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2018
How much does it takes to buy large white weaner Pure breed and what is the expected weight at three months old.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2018
underwater:
How much does it takes to buy large white weaner Pure breed and what is the expected weight at three months old.

This Depends On Farmers, And Locality , I Can't Really Give The Specific Price, Some Will Sell As Low As 10k And Some Will Sell As High As 20k And Above.
A Good Breed Weaner Fed Ad-libitum And With Good Quality Feed In 3 Months Should Be Of Average Weight 25-30kg.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 11:39am On Feb 20, 2018
Let Me Now Let Out The Secret Of How This Man Gets Double Value From The Feed Material He Uses.
Many People Thinks Only The Top Guys Who Invested Big In Agric That Make Real Money From, This Is A Myth I Have Once Believed Too Until I Changed My Mindset. Mindset Is What Seperates The Mediocre From The Great. This Is Often Said That You Can't Play With The Big Boys And Win, That Is Often Said By The Big Boys, The Psychological Trick Used On You To Lower Your Self Believe; All I Want To Say Is, You Can Play With The Big Boys And Win, All You Have To Do Is To Think Like They Do.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2018
Sorry For The Long Write Up, I Just Want To Make This Thread More Inspiring Than Just Been Informative.

Now Back To The Secret, If You Happen To Be Feeding Your Pigs With Sludge From P.K.O ( Palm Kernel Oil) You Are Just About To Get One Of The Best Information On This Feed Material. This Man Simply Buys The Sludge, Take Tn His Farm, Press To Remove The Excess Oil And Sells To Factories And Companies That Use It And The Remnant Is What He Mixed With Other Feed Materials To Feed His Pigs. The Money He Makes From The Sludge Oil Is Enough To Feed The Pigs, He Spends Virtually Nothing Or Less On Feeding His Pigs. A Very Good Smart Move!

3 Likes

Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 11:51am On Feb 20, 2018
Follow This Thread To Learn More, More Insights Are Definitely Coming.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 4:42pm On Feb 21, 2018
If You Rear Exotic Breeds Most Especially Duroc, Another Way Of Making Extra Bucks From Your Farm Is By Going Through Semen Production.
Many Farmers Prefer Buying Semen From Other Farms To Artificially Inseminate Their Sows, This Will Definitely Prevent Inbreeding.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 21, 2018
Pig farming is a very lucrative business, thinking of writing a post for it
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 7:23pm On May 31, 2018
For an improved and reduced cost feed formulation guide for your pigs, consult @ Sholape +2348060424589.
Re: Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. by Lapeywilliams(m): 2:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
learn how to ferment your pig feeds with home made probiotics to get the best out of the feed and reduce cost on feeding your pigs.

(1) (Reply)

Up To 30,000 Trays Of Egg Forsale 08138581267 / Large Volume Of ungrounded Dry Plantain (plantain flakes) Available / Calling The Attention Of All Maize Farmers And Suppliers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.