Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:03 AM

Difference Between Product Development And Product Management - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difference Between Product Development And Product Management (13077 Views)

Pic: Difference Between A Boss And A Leader / What Is Difference Between Resignation And Retirement? / The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by viperman: 2:27pm On Mar 17, 2010
Hi all,

In the Area of Marketing and Sales, Is there any difference between the two roles above?
Or do they fall into the same responsibility line in a company?
I ask because my colleagues say they both perform same functions but i differ.
Experts kindly render your input as this could save a mistake from being made.
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by WarHorse1(m): 2:37pm On Mar 17, 2010
In Nigeria, a lot of companies use wrong job titles for Job placements. However, why not ask google. You should get a reliable response. Also click below sites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_product_development

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_management
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by AjanleKoko: 5:07pm On Mar 17, 2010
Product Management is the in-life management of your company's propositions or products, from when you introduce them to market, till they are killed or retired.
New Product Development is a corporate process usually put in place to manage the introduction of new products.
As per role, the product manager can do both, though the roles vary sometimes. You can have product manager, customer segment manager, brand manager, etc, doing product management. Most times, the product development manager is some kind of project manager who manages the implementation of new products. The product manager is a more marketing-focused professional, who is responsible for the product's performance in the market.

There is no globally approved standard and set of processes for doing both.
See graphic below for an idea.

Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by viperman: 10:23pm On Mar 17, 2010
Thanks guys

@ AJANLEKOKO
from your elucidation, i deduced that New product development is more in-bound focused on products while product management is out-bound focused? am i right?
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by AjanleKoko: 11:14pm On Mar 17, 2010
^^not sure i get what you mean o.
Product management kicks off where product development stops, literally speaking.
Think about the difference between a project and an operation.
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by viperman: 10:02pm On Mar 18, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^not sure i get what you mean o.
Product management kicks off where product development stops, literally speaking.
Think about the difference between a project and an operation.

O' boy, that's what i've been trying to tell these pple o. They keep arguing that that's not an international standard way of running a product lifecycle. Can you help with any online source(s) where that is clearly stated?
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by AjanleKoko: 10:25am On Mar 19, 2010
PDMA Web site: www.pdma.org
AIPMM Site: www.aipmm.org
Blackbot: www.blackbot.com
280 Group: www.280group.com
Product Development Institute: www.prod-dev.com
Sequent Learning: www.sequent-learning.com

And many others. But these are the resources I have used. I'm a member of both PDMA and AIPMM, and hold certifications from both bodies.

Just one thing though. Nigeria never scientific to that level o. What we have as marketing people in Nigeria, are agency people (media) or sales people calling themselves marketers (ask these banks!). Those kind of people usually try to focus on just 2 of the 4 Ps (Place and Promotion), and care little for Product or Price. So I can imagine the pain you feel in your organization.
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by viperman: 9:14am On Mar 20, 2010
Dude,

send me your email contact lets network on yahoo & facebook, make we dey rub minds.

lexfrosty@yahoo.com
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by AjanleKoko: 11:45am On Mar 20, 2010
AIPMM Framework:

Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by hugo77(m): 10:29am On Mar 22, 2010
@AjanleKoko , u too much

well said, lik a tru professional!!!

am plannin a career in BiZ development, pls advice?
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by AjanleKoko: 1:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
hugo77:

@AjanleKoko , u too much

well said, lik a tru professional!!!

am plannin a career in BiZ development, pls advice?

That's really broad-based. Business development is wide. You need to have like an MBA for that, in addition to the core qualification/experience required in the particular field of industry you want to do business development in.
As is most things in Nigeria, this moniker usually means nothing specific. Some people even call their field salespeople 'business development officers', while they are little more than door-to-door salesmen.

Business development is like a top level from product development. While the product people look at specific product lines, business development professionals create a new line of business altogether, which can support multiple product lines.
As per required qualifications, an MBA is definitely key.
Re: Difference Between Product Development And Product Management by docchuks(m): 10:26am On Jun 19, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Life As A Consultant... / Should Your Subordinate's Salary Be Higher Than Yours For Any Reason? / Movies All Entrepreneurs Should Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.