Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,958 members, 7,821,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal (3949 Views)

OMG!! Man Hospitalised After Sex With Friend’s Wife In Lagos(see Story+photos) / Couple Having Sex in the Sea in Italy hospitalised after their Genitals stuck / Five Die After Eating Amala In Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Acidosis(m): 6:49am On Aug 05, 2010
10 members of the same family have been hospitalised at the General Hospital, Gbadaga, Lagos. PUNCH METRO gathered that the incident, which occurred at Community Avenue, Magboro, Ogun State, on Sunday evening involved a man identified simply as Moses, his wife, Labake, their two sons, two daughters- in-law and four grandchildren. The food was said to have been prepared by one of Moses‘ daughters- in-law. However, a family source (name withheld), who was not at home when the incident occurred, said from what he gathered there was nothing to suggest foul play. When our correspondent visited the hospital on Monday, Moses, his wife and the grandchildren were still on their hospital beds, while four of the victims had been discharged. The source said, ”On Sunday evening, all the family gathered together, the daughters-in-law, my brothers and the grandchildren. Before that evening, they prepared a vegetable soup, which was planted in a garden within the compound where the family resides. They also prepared amala. Some of them ate the food. Of all those who were in the house, only one person did not eat the food and that person is the wife of my younger brother. It was not that she did not want to eat, but when they finished cooking, they had a night prayer, she went to watch movie first and later planned to take her own meal. ”It was during that time that this incident happened. Ten members of our family: four adults including my father, mother, my two younger brothers, my wife who just gave birth to a baby, my younger brother‘s wife, who was pregnant, and four grandchildren were affected ”My younger brother‘s wife prepared the meal. But she did not have the intention of harming anybody. People have been asking her why she did not eat the food. She is not the type that eats very early as such. She just wanted to watch a movie and later come to eat her own meal.” According to the source, the first person, who showed sign of discomfort, was one of the grandchildren, who was immediate rushed to a nearby clinic before other grandchildren had a similar problem. He said that health professionals in the clinic did their best, but on discovering the magnitude of the complications, they referred the patients to Gbagada General Hospital. He said, ”One of the grandchildren complained of stomach ache. They rushed him to a nearby clinic, before coming back; the other grandchildren had suffered the same fate. My own mother who was trying to help them also complained of the same problem. The hospital said it was too much for them to handle. They had to be rushed to the General Hospital. ”On their way to the hospital, each of the remaining six had started having a feeling of food poisoning. It started from my wife, later, one of the grandchildren, after that, my youngest brother, Matthew, was also affected when we got to the expressway on our way to the hospital. ”They were admitted in the casual ward. It was while in the ward that my immediate younger brother had a similar experience. As my father was trying to help out, he, too, started complaining. That is how 10 people were hospitalised.” He said although his mother was still on admission, the family was still worried about his father‘s health. He said the family members as well as the medical team at the general hospital were doing their best to ensure that he recovered in time. He advised people to be more careful with what they eat. Efforts to speak with the Medical Director were unsuccessful as he was said to be attending a meeting and other officials were not willing to speak on the incident.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by oludashmi(f): 11:42am On Aug 05, 2010
This issue of amala this days. But I personally believe some people have started mixing some things in the yam flour due to high demand of the food which results to this or poor processing due to high demand, you know Nigerians now.

This food poisoning is also indirectly advertising wheat and garri
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by YEBOKO(m): 11:49am On Aug 05, 2010
GOD help us in dis country,to get d food wahala,now 2 eat palava,i believe its due 2 wrong processing.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by YEBOKO(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2010
GOD help us in dis country,to get d food wahala,now 2 eat palava,i believe its due 2 wrong processing.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Pethan: 12:04pm On Aug 05, 2010
They should ask the wife that prepare the meal to comfess, why is she the only one that did not eat the food sad sad sad
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by sammytone: 12:26pm On Aug 05, 2010
this is complicated.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Pethan: 12:30pm On Aug 05, 2010
oludashmi:

[color=#000099]This issue of amala this days. But I personally believe some people have started mixing some things in the yam flour due to high demand of the food which results to this or poor processing due to high demand, you know Nigerians now.

This food poisoning is also indirectly advertising wheat and garri

Seconded  
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Fynist(m): 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2010
Acidosis:

10 members of the same family have been hospitalised at the General Hospital, Gbadaga, Lagos. PUNCH METRO gathered that the incident, which occurred at Community Avenue, Magboro, Ogun State, on Sunday evening involved a man identified simply as Moses, his wife, Labake, their two sons, two daughters- in-law and four grandchildren. The food was said to have been prepared by one of Moses‘ daughters- in-law. However, a family source (name withheld), who was not at home when the incident occurred, said from what he gathered there was nothing to suggest foul play. When our correspondent visited the hospital on Monday, Moses, his wife and the grandchildren were still on their hospital beds, while four of the victims had been discharged. The source said, ”On Sunday evening, all the family gathered together, the daughters-in-law, my brothers and the grandchildren. Before that evening, they prepared a vegetable soup, which was planted in a garden within the compound where the family resides. They also prepared amala. Some of them ate the food. Of all those who were in the house, only one person did not eat the food and that person is the wife of my younger brother. It was not that she did not want to eat, but when they finished cooking, they had a night prayer, she went to watch movie first and later planned to take her own meal. ”It was during that time that this incident happened. Ten members of our family: four adults including my father, mother, my two younger brothers, my wife who just gave birth to a baby, my younger brother‘s wife, who was pregnant, and four grandchildren were affected ”My younger brother‘s wife prepared the meal. But she did not have the intention of harming anybody. People have been asking her why she did not eat the food. She is not the type that eats very early as such. She just wanted to watch a movie and later come to eat her own meal.” According to the source, the first person, who showed sign of discomfort, was one of the grandchildren, who was immediate rushed to a nearby clinic before other grandchildren had a similar problem. He said that health professionals in the clinic did their best, but on discovering the magnitude of the complications, they referred the patients to Gbagada General Hospital. He said, ”One of the grandchildren complained of stomach ache. They rushed him to a nearby clinic, before coming back; the other grandchildren had suffered the same fate. My own mother who was trying to help them also complained of the same problem. The hospital said it was too much for them to handle. They had to be rushed to the General Hospital. ”On their way to the hospital, each of the remaining six had started having a feeling of food poisoning. It started from my wife, later, one of the grandchildren, after that, my youngest brother, Matthew, was also affected when we got to the expressway on our way to the hospital. ”They were admitted in the casual ward. It was while in the ward that my immediate younger brother had a similar experience. As my father was trying to help out, he, too, started complaining. That is how 10 people were hospitalised.” He said although his mother was still on admission, the family was still worried about his father‘s health. He said the family members as well as the medical team at the general hospital were doing their best to ensure that he recovered in time. He advised people to be more careful with what they eat. Efforts to speak with the Medical Director were unsuccessful as he was said to be attending a meeting and other officials were not willing to speak on the incident.
well maybe she cook 4 dem earlier in d day all of dem hiss and yab,so she decided 2 get even.Or it my b d color of d amala
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Redman44(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2010
I hope the Standards Organisation of Nigeria [ SON ] and NAFDAC are monitoring stories like this on the web. They need to send investigators to the Family invoved in this food poisoning matter to get some information from them. Samples of the yam flour used to to make the Amala meal should be taken and tested at the laboratory [ I hope we have the technology that can carry out the job effectively ] to find out if something else was mixed with the flour. The source of the Yam Flour should also be traced [ This investigation can start starting from the retailer where the Yam Flour was gotten from to the Wholesaler ] and sealed up to stop further food poisoning incidents from arising. It is really sad that people just source for Garri, Yam Flour and Plantain flour, cook and consume them without a proper check carried out. It is high time Garri and Yam flour are processed and packaged like semovita to avoid incidents like this. I hope high profile entrepreneurs are on this thread smiley smiley smiley

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by candylips(m): 1:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
na wa o
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by tosinaded(m): 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2010
rice for life jor!
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2010
Amala Again?
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by whiteroses(f): 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2010
this amala took the life of our first cousin but its impossible for yoruba to stop eating amala lets just pray we eat the right ones
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by pritypeety(f): 2:36pm On Aug 05, 2010
@tosinade I bet wen u come to Malaysia u would get tired of rice, hehehe. Neways I just got amala from one woman that buys them from Nigeria and sell to we students here in Malaysia but on getting home I refused to prepare this amala cos the colour of the amala flour was weird, and thinking of 100's that have died from eating amala. I dunno am so scared to death now even though Amala is d only solid food I like to eat with soup.
@topic, Amala is very expensive so I believe some wicked people have devised means to start adding other things to it or that particular woman had something to do wif the amala.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Doctore(m): 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2010
I belief this must be a case of food contamination from source
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by tpiah: 4:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
i think many of these cases of amala poisoning must be from the "white" amala made from cassava. [s]i dont eat that stuff and i wish people would stop calling it amala.[/s]

cassava is naturally poisonous while yam is not.

when processing cassava as garri or fufu, the poison is leached out of the flour- i'm not too sure this would be the case with the so-called "white" amala.

of course it could also be the people were intentionally poisoned.

lord have mercy. undecided
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Obinoscopy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2010
I have never liked Amala in my entire life. One of the reason being that in the process of processing and preparing the Amala, moulds such as Aspergillus spp and others might be formed and they are highly carcinogenic. Its possible that its the Mould (Mushroom) in the Amala that caused the Food Poisoning
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by tpiah: 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^the heat of cooking destroys most, if any, microorganisms in food.

regular amala is prepared with boiling water and then steamed thoroughly.

however, in the case of an incorrectly processed cassava product, heat will[b] not [/b] inactivate the danger.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Ranoscky(m): 8:16pm On Aug 05, 2010
If una lyk make una use mouth poison d amala finish dat 1 no mean say make i stop to dey wack d thing!

*Can u imagine amala with gbegiri n efor, in combo with egufe, shakki n round-about, naim i go miss?* undecided Na lie o!
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Okijajuju1(m): 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2010
First killer beans, then killer indomie, then killer number, now killer amala. grin

wat next?
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by TMemos: 9:35pm On Aug 05, 2010
tpiah:

i think many of these cases of amala poisoning must be from the "white" amala made from cassava. [s]i dont eat that stuff and i wish people would stop calling it amala.[/s]

cassava is naturally poisonous while yam is not.

when processing cassava as garri or fufu, the poison is leached out of the flour- i'm not too sure this would be the case with the so-called "white" amala.

of course it could also be the people were intentionally poisoned.

lord have mercy. undecided

Correct.
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by mamagee3(f): 12:54am On Aug 06, 2010
ogbeche77:

Amala Again?
grin grin grin
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Nwaka77: 3:34am On Aug 06, 2010
ogbeche77:

Amala Again?

Yep, amala again undecided
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Tcrack(m): 3:44am On Aug 06, 2010
Source abeg. this story reminds me of PM NEWS. and by the way, is there a news paper like PUNCH METRO?
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Nizoral(f): 6:53am On Aug 06, 2010
Ar you cyrious? Amala kills?
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Joe50(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2010
that black food shocked smiley grin God forbid grin grin grin
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by UNLEASHED(m): 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2010
This ain't the first or second time things like this happened, It's also amala in the said case
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Nuriel22: 1:31pm On Aug 06, 2010
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Fhemmmy: 3:39pm On Aug 06, 2010
I am sure it is black Amala . . . . That things sucks.
Ogi lovers, beware
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by kotons(m): 4:14pm On Aug 06, 2010
U keep saying Amala Amala u did'nt tink it other way round, it might be the veg soup that was planted in the backyard,GOD will help us sha !!! shocked
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by Fhemmmy: 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2010
kotons:

U keep saying Amala Amala u did'nt tink it other way round, it might be the veg soup that was planted in the backyard,GOD will help us sha !!! shocked

Amala itself looks like poison
Re: 10 Hospitalised After Amala Meal by kobikwelu(m): 10:47pm On Aug 06, 2010
i believe arisekola alao is involved tongue tongue tongue tongue

amala and gbegiri politics grin grin grin

just playing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rare Case Of Baby With Pink Blood / HELP PLS - How To Get Pregnant While Treating Prolactin / The Girl With No Vagina: She Can't Have Sex, No Babies, Due To A Rare Condition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.