Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding (30166 Views)

An Open Letter To Parents On The Future Of Their Children, on Tech and Coding / What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! / Differences Between High & Low Level Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Danyl(m): 6:48pm On Sep 08, 2011
hello house, issues like coding and programming has always been an issue of controversy on this forum, but i want to ask and i know this will be useful for the young minds out there who are just coming into the world of software programming. what is the difference between "programming" and "coding" ?. Are they not the same thing? if not then what is the relationship,
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Mobinga: 2:13pm On Sep 09, 2011
angry
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by tundebabzy: 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2011
shocked
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2011
Programming means to program
Coding means to code.
Their relationship is English,

cheesy

Both words can be used interchangeably. I doubt this will be useful to the young minds out there coming into the world of 'programming/coding'

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by smile4kenn(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2011
check google
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Muttex(m): 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2011
@Poster, what is your profession? Programming and coding are not d same though they might hav some similarity.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by alfredo4u(m): 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2011
Programming means creating of computer programs while coding is a system of symbols, numbers, or signals that conveys information to a computer.
make una elaborate more on this.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Koolking(m): 4:44pm On Oct 12, 2011
musKeeto:

Programming means to program
Coding means to code.
Their relationship is English,

cheesy

Both words can be used interchangeably. I doubt this will be useful to the young minds out there coming into the world of 'programming/coding'

smiley smiley smiley smiley smileydude you are interestingly funny.

I am no programmer, to me both words are the same, can be used interchangeably. Coding/program means to write a computer program
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Bossman(m): 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2011
In the computer programming/computer science/IT world, they are used interchangeably and mean pretty much the same thing. In the dictionary, they probably do not mean the same thing.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Ekiti1: 5:10pm On Oct 12, 2011
Bossman:

In the computer programming/computer science/IT world, they are used interchangeably and mean pretty much the same thing. It the dictionary, they probably do not mean the same thing.
True talk
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by dhtml1(m): 5:22pm On Oct 12, 2011
Now, lemme show you how to code, here i go:

dim s as string;
int i;
float x;
var x2;

setTimeout("alert('Idiot')",1000);
Screen 1
on error gosub 10

i=msgbox("Are you stupid",vbYesNoCancel)

if(i=vbYes) then
i=file_get_contents("http://www.wiki-edia.com/stupid");
end if
Well, that technically is coding - iite guys? Comprised of different programming langs.
It wont work in any compiler though, but it is still coding.

But to solve a problem, such as a task to do payroll or bubblesort or fibonacci sequence,
now that will be a program - which means codes that are used to solve a problem iite?

So you do the jargons algorithm et al, and finally code the program and test it at the end of the day.
Now, that will be a program.

Lets move to the business world, a client will pay you to create a solution for them - such as a school
application. They dont pay you to just write a bunch of codes to impress them.

Oya, where are the leggit computer science students?

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
dhtml .:

Well, that technically is coding - iite guys? Comprised of different programming langs.

But to solve a problem, such as a task to do payroll or bubblesort or fibonacci sequence,
now that will be a program - which means codes that are used to solve a problem iite?

So you do the jargons algorithm et al, and finally code the program and test it at the end of the day.

Lets move to the business world, a client will pay you to create a solution for them - such as a school

So there's a difference between PROGRAM and CODE, programming and coding are basically the same thing.
To solve a program might actually be referred to as program design.
Can you detach coding from programming or programming from coding?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by moderatorr: 5:30pm On Oct 12, 2011
dhtml .:

see confusion.
Essentially, you are saying that:
Programing is a way of coding a program code.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Onlytruth(m): 5:33pm On Oct 12, 2011
Here's the way I see it.

BOTH are "languages". Both are codes

A code may be telling a story or reporting an event. It may not be issuing out step by step instructions.
While a computer program is almost always issuing SPECIFIC sets of instructions (STEP BY STEP).

Every computer program "speaks" a "language".
Every code also "speaks" a language too.

Programming is coding, but coding MAY NOT be programming.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Bossman(m): 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2011
Something like this will not even come up for discussion in most other application development forums, since it's a known fact that they are the same thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by kaboninc(m): 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2011
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by dhtml1(m): 6:08pm On Oct 12, 2011
Caramba! I just poured petrol inside fire.

Bossman:

Something like this will not even come up for discussion in most other application development forums, since it's a known fact that they are the same thing.
Or lets reverse it like this:
Can you program without writing codes?
Can you say you are a programmer and you cannot code in at least one computer lang? Even if na machine language? or simple H-T-M-L (i don start wahala)?

[sidetalk]
If all you know is HTML (HyperText Markup Language) - are you a programmer?
If all you know is how to use wordpress - are you a programmer? - we have seen such instances in webmasters.
[/sidetalk]

Programmer / Coder are used interchangeable as far as i know. . .

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by dhtml1(m): 6:10pm On Oct 12, 2011
kaboninc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coding

shut the f** up Just kidding. ~But seriously, that does not solve the problem here.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by MMM2(m): 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2011
none
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by stanleybiggie(m): 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2011
coding - act of writing in code or cipher
programming - creating a sequence of instructions to enable the computer to do something
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by mxxpunkxx: 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2011
actually, you need d codes to write the programs

the silly write-ups are called codes. u can;t right-click on a piece of code and click Open. Impossible. except "Open with", then maybe an particular editor or compilier, u dig?

but u can actually right-click on a program, and click Open, u dont need a compiler or environment or classpath or watsoever to run a program

after a job well done,

the PC screams:  a wonderful piece of code in a coding environment

and your client screams:   waaaooow, a masterpiece of code for a programmer.

so, aint we saying d same tin, ?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by sadyeek(m): 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
[center][size=18pt]i just finished learning Qbasic,
please, which one should i choose to learn next and then after that and so on.,.,

thanks.,.,.
[/size][/center]
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by dhtml1(m): 10:00pm On Oct 12, 2011
Now, i will not call someone that learnt qbasic a programmer, i will merely say: He can code in qbasic. But someone that codes in JAVA is a different story.
But all that one na politics sha.

Yes, after qbasic, you can chose to remain redundant by learning:
Pascal (Use Lazarus Compiler for that or Turbo Pascal),
Fortran (There is a new GUI that works in windows environs),
Assemble language

Or, you can come to the world of real-programmers:
Get your Gear into Java, or follow Visual Basic .NET / C#

For me, i started with all the above i have mentioned inc: c,c++ and old school visual basic 6.
But when it was time to start doing real business, i rushed off to the world of website development,
and i am doing fine.
It is only when i get real software programming jobs (very rarely - i dont look for it) that i do softwares,
most times i stick to website development (which i prefer).

You can look up these stuffs on google. Or seek advise from other guys here.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 12, 2011
i am not sure, but the first thing that comes to mind is, programming is the process of developing the whole system i.e methodology, paradigm, and system architecture. while coding is the main codes you write and codes will determine the relationships between objects and their behaviour in the programme.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by dhtml1(m): 11:16pm On Oct 12, 2011
Aho, i have been waiting for someone to mention paradigm and sys architecture. . .now those are important factors to the computer scientists.
But to end-users and customers. . . .??
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by sweetpawn1: 12:03am On Oct 13, 2011
Hi Danyl,
Well, to me this is more like asking:
"What is the difference between soccer and football?"
Depending on where the person answering is from(a common wealth/europe state or the US of A) you'll get different responses-In 9ja they are the same.
To a layman the words coding and programming are different due to their dictionary definition,but to us programmers,its like football and soccer in 9ja!
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by lojik(m): 1:36am On Oct 13, 2011
You can write a line of code but you cant write a line of program.
You may have to code for weeks and compile before you come up with a program.

In a program, there are several lines of sql codes and vb.net codes.

I can write a code here:

xyz = document.getElementById('abc').innerHTML;

but i cant write a program here.
I can develop a program by writing several lines of codes. The end user sees and uses the program but cannot see the codes.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by lojik(m): 1:45am On Oct 13, 2011
sweet-pawn:

Well, to me this is more like asking:
"What is the difference between soccer and football?"
No, its more like asking:
Whats the difference between soccer and first half.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by okeyxyz(m): 4:49am On Oct 13, 2011
lojik:

You can write a line of code but you cant write a line of program.
You may have to code for weeks and compile before you come up with a program.

In a program, there are several lines of sql codes and vb.net codes.

Nah, the simplest of functions is a program, so u may be able to squeeze such into a line. eg:

int main(){cout <<"hello world";}

executes a statement, is a function & thus a program.
code is simply a language(system of meaningful symbols), programming is using code to perform task(s).
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Danyl(m): 5:22am On Oct 13, 2011
@sweet-pawn,it seems u understand what d problem is,to me everyone has hs/her own idea of wat d differences are,to me coding is just an essential part of programming whc can never be done away with,cos after definning all the sys. Architecture nd algorithm,coding is the actually writing phase of the programme "instructions",it all depends on the context within which the two is used eg,"programming codes" n "program codes" can mean 2 different things based on context. I only asked ds question to see different opinions from NLers. Thanx
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 13, 2011
Dude, a programmer is  the same as a coder. In your context, a collection of codes can make a program, but u are asking in terms of the verb , so u can use both interchangeably in my opinion. I think a better question would have been " What is the difference between a developer and a programmer?". Now that is the question.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding by PStacks(m): 7:37am On Oct 13, 2011
To code is simply arranging the sequence in which you want a programme to run. In all cases, coding always comes first b4 programming.
For investment Banking, consult
Twitter, @GWC FX
Facebook, GWC FX
Y!, gwcnigltd@yahoo.com
BBM: 22CD650C
Mobile: 2348034695042
: 2348054505762

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Want To Start A Mobile Social Network Like 2go / How To Make Circular Imageview And Rounded Corner Imageview In Android / 24 Year Old Nigerian Builds A Functional And Intelligent Robot In Sri Lanka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.