Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:34 AM

117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm (7818 Views)

One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview / Work At Oversea With Attractive Salary By Un / Intercontinental Bank Cut Salary By 20%;can't Pay Upfront (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2011
Abuja, December 29: A total of 117 Indian workers at Delta Steel Company PLC in Nigeria say they have not been paid by their employer for nearly a year and forced to live like destitutes.

The workers have approached the Indian High Commission at Abuja and Ministry of Indian Overseas Affairs and other concerned agencies in India.

“We are entitled for monthly salary, living allowance, leave travel allowance and other medical and educational expenses,” a spokesman for the workers Dinesh Yadav said.
He alleged that the workers are being kept in the country like bonded labourers without any living allowance and salary for last 11 months.

According to the workers, they have no transport facility, proper food, electricity, security or medical cover. They said they were recruited by Global Steel Holding from India and posted to Nigeria’s southern state of Warri to work for the steel company in 2005.

“We are entitled for monthly salary, living allowance, leave travel allowance and other medical and educational expenses,” a spokesman for the workers Dinesh Yadav said.

He alleged that the workers are being kept in the country like bonded labourers without any living allowance and salary for last 11 months.

http://www.pravasitoday.com/117-indian-workers-in-nigeria-denied-salary-by-firm
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Afam4eva(m): 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2011
Why should an Indian company be bringing factory workers all the way from India?
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by adamaw2tuf: 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2011
BUT THEY ARE STILL ENTITLE TO THEIR WAGES.
afam4eva:

Why should an Indian company be bringing factory workers all the way from India?
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by doctokwus: 3:13pm On Dec 29, 2011
Two issues come to mindsad1)how cud they still b alive if they av not bn paid 4 d past 11mths,I can only conclude they are lying (2) they were recruited by an indian company,so its d company,global trading dey shd hold responsible.
My take on this(& I feel am on track):they av bn shortchanged by d indian recruiting agency as is typical of many of such indian companies(fast track to airtel shortchanging its employees wt slave wage proposals).D employees shd therefore held to their embassy& demand their fellow citizen recruiters not treat them as slaves.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Afam4eva(m): 3:17pm On Dec 29, 2011
adamaw2tuf:

BUT THEY ARE STILL ENTITLE TO THEIR WAGES.

Yeah, they are.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by udbyron1(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2011
shitz happenz
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2011
afam4eva:

They are supposedly cheaper than Nigerians - work more, eat less and complain less for far-less pay and no pension  grin
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Kx: 4:22pm On Dec 29, 2011
Now indians are "showing" indians.

Is their case any different from the Nigerians working there?
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 29, 2011
Kx:

Now indians are "showing" indians.

Is their case any different from the Nigerians working there?

adamaw2tuf:

[size=20pt]BUT THEY ARE STILL ENTITLE TO THEIR WAGES.[/size]
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Jarus(m): 5:01pm On Dec 29, 2011
A dose of own medicine.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Maximip(m): 6:06pm On Dec 29, 2011
They can go and kill themselves if they like. Resign and get the Bleep outta Nigeria.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by rhymz(m): 6:16pm On Dec 29, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

They are supposedly cheaper than Nigerians - work more, eat less and complain less for far-less pay and no pension  grin
what a very stewpid and naive statement to make. Have you ever worked in any Nigerian factory before? Or do you know of any factory here in Nigeria where foreigners working there earn less than their Nigerian counterpart. Why do you lot open your filthy mouth to say things you ha e no Idea about. An average factory worker in most of these indian, lebanese and chinese owned factories in Nigeria earns in the region of N500-700 per day depending on how long you have  been with them. Neither do the Nigerian factory workers work any less than their foreign counterpart, I am speaking from experience as I work for one of them as a graduate trainee engineer.
There is a very strong possibility that these indians have been shortchanged by the recruiting partner of the company. Besides, indians, Lebanese and chinese are cheats that deserve nobody's sympathy, I have my own share of their injustice meted out to me and my coleagues by them but that is for another thread.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by andyanders: 6:33pm On Dec 29, 2011
This cant happen to other countries. It is because of the stupidit-y of our government by allowing a company working in Nigeria to bring her own labor to workhere.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by andyanders: 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2011
This cant happen to other countries. It is because of the stupidit-y of our government by allowing a company working in Nigeria to bring her own labor to work here. I still beleive that most of them dont have papers. We have millions of Nigerians without jobs. These Indians, Libernies and Asians will open companies here and smuggle their brothers and freinds without skills to come down here to work while Nigerians will be empokyed as casuals.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Reference(m): 6:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
It is a private company so it is not the public's concern and glad they know this and seek redress from their consulate. Yesterday it was Airtel, the other day it was Thisday, sometime ago it was Arik. Poor management in a poorer economy. Too bad.

Can any of them cook. I don't mind exotic Indian cuisine plus he/she is guaranteed free food and a clean bed.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by skullbaba: 7:13pm On Dec 29, 2011
then dey mad, who send them come naija. abi na by force. i forgot that indians has adaptad to poverty than niaija
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by otokx(m): 7:39pm On Dec 29, 2011
Some thing is not adding up.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2011
afam4eva:

whats wrong in doing that? infact most of them are treated as expatriates and they are very knowledgeable on what they are assigned to do. Im talking from experience. Most of them are very very dedicated. I work for some of this firms that have foreigners as core workers. They are always well catered for
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

This isnt true. U are talking what u dont know. some of these pple ae the best interms of what they do
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 29, 2011
rhymz:

what a very stewpid and naive statement to make. Have you ever worked in any Nigerian factory before? Or do you know of any factory here in Nigeria where foreigners working there earn less than their Nigerian counterpart. Why do you lot open your filthy mouth to say things you ha e no Idea about. An average factory worker in most of these indian, lebanese and chinese owned factories in Nigeria earns in the region of N500-700 per day depending on how long you have  been with them. Neither do the Nigerian factory workers work any less than their foreign counterpart, I am speaking from experience as I work for one of them as a graduate trainee engineer.
There is a very strong possibility that these indians have been shortchanged by the recruiting partner of the company. Besides, indians, Lebanese and chinese are cheats that deserve nobody's sympathy, I have my own share of their injustice meted out to me and my coleagues by them but that is for another thread.  
u have made alot of sense. However let me tell u some things as an insider.

Delta steel coy is indebted to some banks in Nigeria, the loan became a bad loan, CBN stepped in, floated a nigerian company called AMCON. AMCON paid the banks the loan plus interests. as a result, Delta steel coy has financial challenges. As we speak right now today, Some of my colleagues just completed asset valuation of Delta steel coy. The value will allow AMCON take decision, jence AMCON will have to pay the workers directly or release funds to the coy to pay the workers. Bad management plus financial constraints has caused this poblem
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by fred2265: 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by member479760: 12:30pm On Dec 30, 2011
What are they eating for the past 11 months?
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by Oluchi007(f): 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2011
My uncle has actually been working for DSC since the 1980s. He said since the Indians took over they haven't been paid salaries & things have been horrendous. The owners of the Indian company are busy carting away as much cash as they possibly can before the company finally collapses. What is happening in DSC is very tragic. I didn't imagine the Indians would extend such inhumane treatment to their own people.
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by opiacino: 10:08am On Dec 31, 2011
Indians are horribly, pushy smelly useless people.
Shame there are so many of them.
Get them out of Naija ASAP
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by francini(m): 10:31pm On Dec 31, 2011
Re: 117 Indian Workers In Nigeria Denied Salary By Firm by membergold: 5:08pm On May 15, 2013
Hw can a person enforce an illegal contract. Expatriates are only allowed for managerial positions, otherwise there should be evidence that nigerians with the skill to take up such "labourer" jobs are unavailable. Other than that, any such contract to that effect is against our immigration laws and cannot be sustained legally.
On a pidgin note...e good for them
ibkaye:

(1) (Reply)

CV Clinic And Job Hub ( Whatsapp Group) / Job Seeker? Have You Not Been Getting Invite, What's Your Do-not-disturb Status? / Federal University, Oye Ekiti Recruitment Update!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.