Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,748 members, 7,820,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 (17151 Views)

QPR Sack Mark Hughes & Appoint Harry Redknapp / Picture Of Harry Redknapp Carrying Placard Begging For Job / Harry Redknapp Sacked As Tottenham Hotspur 's Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=25pt]Spurs manager Harry Redknapp claims Portsmouth star Kanu is 49 but still 'King' [/size]

By IAN GIBB
UPDATED: 00:42 GMT, 27 March 2010

Harry Redknapp will look beyond his old club Portsmouth’s starting line-up, maybe even past the bench, and see a dangerman to Tottenham’s FA Cup dreams.
A man he cheerfully labels as a ‘49-year-old’, serial puller of sickies and who once was both so rigidly legless and armless that he had to be prised out of an airport seat.
The name is Kanu and, for all the 6ft 5in Nigerian’s foibles, Redknapp still describes him as ‘King Kanu, a great signing ... what a player!’

He's not over the hill: Kanu hit Pompey's Cup winner in 2008

It’s the dress rehearsal of the Cup semi-final at White Hart Lane, with Spurs still aiming for a precious Champions League place.
But Redknapp’s tales of when he and the incredible Kanu were at Pompey had an audience transfixed and rolling with laughter on Friday.
‘I took Kanu off the local park. He wasn’t playing, just training on the park on his own - or so he said.
‘He did not have a club four days before that season started and I didn’t have a second forward. I was sitting there thinking where he had gone after being freed by West Brom. So I tracked him down, got him in and stuck him on the bench.
‘He would ring me every Sunday night at 11pm so he knew I was in bed. “Oh gaffer, it’s Kanu here.
'Gaffer, I have the upset tummy, I cannot train tomorrow. I will not be in tomorrow, I do not feel well”.

‘Every Sunday. But on the pitch ... first game, I stuck him on for the second half against Blackburn, he got two great goals and missed a penalty for the hat-trick. Monday we went to Middlesbrough, won 4-0 and Kanu got two more goals. He ran from the halfway line for the second. What a goal!

Fan of Kanu: Harry Redknapp

‘We got back home to the airport and we were sitting while waiting for the baggage to come. Suddenly he could not get up. His body had given up. We had to lift him into one of those wheelchairs.

‘No matter how the physios tried, his body would not straighten up. They lifted him up into the chair and wheeled him out the airport! He had to leave his car there and he could not drive. The physio had to drive him back. His body had gone.

[size=25pt]‘How old is he? 49? I don’t know (officially, he’s 33)[/size]. But when you think he played at Inter Milan, won the Champions League with Ajax and he’d had a heart problem. In training you’d pay to watch him some days. He could do things you’d never seen. What a lovely guy as well.

‘Yet when I took him, people at the club who worked with me went, “He’s finished, Harry”. ‘I said, “No”. I took him and he did fantastic for me and he’s still there now. King Kanu. He’s an amazing talent. Still.’
** Brazil midfielder Sandro, 21, has completed his move from Internacional to Spurs for an undisclosed fee. He could arrive as late as mid-August if his club progress in the Copa Libertadores

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1261087/Spurs-manager-Harry-Redknapp-claims-Portsmouth-star-Kanu-49-King.html
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Ninapha(f): 1:16pm On Apr 16, 2012
If Kanu is 49yrs Old then Redkidnapper (Redknapp) is 110yrs old, what a fan.

5 Likes

Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 16, 2012
So.......?
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 16, 2012
Old news. WTH 'OLD NEWS' ? What an oxymoron !

1 Like

Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by olaezebala: 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2012
and this is on the front page? undecided Kanu is the a very old young player
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Welder(m): 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2012
We got back home to the airport and we were sitting while waiting for the baggage to come. Suddenly he could not get up. His body had given up. We had to lift him into one of those wheelchairs.

‘No matter how the physios tried, his body would not straighten up. They lifted him up into the chair and wheeled him out the airport! He had to leave his car there and he could not drive. The physio had to drive him back. His body had gone.

This is really funny wink
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by omar22(m): 1:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=18pt]
How old is he? 49? I don’t know (officially, he’s 33).
[/size]

Well officially he is a year older than both Henry and Kliveurt, so it cant be 33
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by ifyalways(f): 1:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
OP, why dig out old news? Who took this to the homepage eh? Mukina2, yamakuza, Boriswole or seun?

No be spurs dem trash last night between, burying Redknapps chances of clinching Englands coaching job?

1 Like

Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by users1: 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2012
The I do not know him 49
I like him
[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by sweetcocoa(f): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2012
Omo see news o,even if papilo is 100 years old,what has that got to do with anything?mscheew.
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Lollysbride: 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2012
olaezebala: and this is on the front page? undecided Kanu is the a very old young player
I think so.
[img]http://www.crzxy.info/abs[/img]
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 16, 2012
Ibo guys take it easy we understand he's not even 20 yet? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by kilimanjaro(m): 1:57pm On Apr 16, 2012
Where is dayokanu? He could break this down! He's a kanu's fan.
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by kilimanjaro(m): 1:58pm On Apr 16, 2012
Where is dayokanu? He could break this down! He's kanu's brother!
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by kilimanjaro(m): 1:59pm On Apr 16, 2012
Where is dayokanu? He could break this down! He's kanu nwankwo's brother!
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
Kanu is 61 yrs old
FACT! sad
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by omar22(m): 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2012
Grant Hails Kanu in Pompey win

Kanu in action for Portsmouth FC

Nwankwo Kanu's contribution to Portsmouth's win over Burnley in the English Premiership on Saturday has been hailed by his club's director of football Avram Grant.

Kanu came off the bench in the 59th minute to help Portsmouth record a 2-0 victory.

The 33-year-old's clever pass set up Hermann Hreidarsson to score the first goal for Pompey.

And he continued to torment the Burnley defence with his deft touches.

Kanu has started just twice for the Premier League strugglers this season but has a growing reputation as an impact substitute which has seen him called into action from the bench 13 times.

And according to Grant, Kanu's contribution on Saturday was very important.

"Football has changed a lot in the last 10 years, it has become more athletic and more aggressive," he said.

"But I think we need to look for intelligent players like Kanu because in one move he can change the game, like he did for the first goal."

Asked why the former Arsenal man did not start against Burnley, Grant joked:

"It's very easy - he's 55 years old. He's 60 next year."

But he added "He's highly intelligent and thinking about the game and he's very good for the team."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8398087.stm
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Basics007: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2012
So why is this news 2yrs later?
Anybody who knows harry should know he talks a lot of bs. The british media only considered this news cos it involved a Nigerian coupled with our past record in age falsification
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by goldng: 2:20pm On Apr 16, 2012
And the fact is?
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by sweetcocoa(f): 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2012
goldng: And the fact is?
He was my first love,we dated for two years,he's 90 years old.wink
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by kilimanjaro(m): 2:33pm On Apr 16, 2012
lefulefu: Kanu is 61 yrs old
FACT! sad
Na u born am?
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by kombats: 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2012
kanu na 70yrs old ooo
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by valencia25(m): 2:56pm On Apr 16, 2012
Harry Shut ur Trap and leave Brother Kanu Alone oooo angry
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by cecs(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
ℓ̊ dont y we nigerian lik manners,c gaffer was only sayin dis as a joke n dat was 2yrs ago if ℓ̊ may remb and even david moyes z d same tin †̥ yak, ȋ̝̊̅§ very simple we al no wat wil blaks can do n we A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ doin it †̥ gv a false age.ℓ̊ tink somtin needs 2b done  dis site dat no one shld b allow †̥ use abuse words here,ℓ̊ find it difficult 2read som comment @times cos ov som pple dat dont no Ѿα̲̅†̥ d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ ar talkin abt....pls do somtin dis site ȋ̝̊̅§ №†̥ educated atal....tanks
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by cblessed2(m): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
Well i think harry got it wrong. Its a falacy.
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by alex406(m): 3:34pm On Apr 16, 2012
But for real,Kanu is an old man.
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by jmoore(m): 3:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
Meaning he was born in 1961, a year after our independence? Harry was probably in a hibernation mode in his medulla oblongata at that time to come with such a statement.If Kanu was 49 in 2010, then Rashidi Yekini should be 70 years old
Re: Harry Redknapp Claimed Kanu Was 49 Years Old In 2010 by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 16, 2012
Age or no age he is arguably the best export among Nigerian Players. Although, real age of Kanu should be about 46 years or more

(1) (2) (Reply)

Copa Del Rey: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid (2 - 0) On Wed, 25th January 2012 / Chelsea VS Sunderland (3 - 1) On 24th May 2015 / Wolves Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On 31st December 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.