Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. (5927 Views)

Christianity And Science / The Interesting things About God / Conversation Between An Atheist Professor And His Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 12:24pm On May 18, 2012
ea7: this anvil needs to be dropped www.rationalresponders.com/debunking_an_urban_legend_evil_is_a_lack_of_something
@above poster, your phones and internet don't run on prayer do they?

I have given up. I did my best but I see these people as pigs always ready to wallow in the mud of ignorance. Animals. And it is people like this that run our country. Sad
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 18, 2012
logicboy:

I have given up. I did my best but I see these people as pigs always ready to wallow in the mud of ignorance. Animals. And it is people like this that run our country. Sad

lol, I have severely misanthropic feelings for these people.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by dekung(m): 12:46pm On May 18, 2012
@Italo,
hmmm! I like your argument but I unfortunately do not sense so much honesty in it. Science tells me if I jump from the rooftop I must hit the ground, science taught me about force and other phenomenon which are testable. Science taught about energy, waves and the totality of how nature functions. Religion on the other hand tells me about spirits, heaven, hell, angels, God, Demons, curses and a load of other things that cannot be hernessed, tested and used by just anyone. I am sure you are typing with an electronic gadget and you make phone calls everyday. I dont need to tell to have faith or carry out some tasks before thee things could wrk, just follow simple testable instructions and vwualla, ur gadgets are working. Tell me honestly, how many people pray with all their hearts yet never get answers. Now compared that to how many people make phone calls per day and do not get expected service. You talked about dreams, thoughts and emotions. All these phenomenon are all functions of what goes on in ur brain. If science eventually perfects the art of brain transplant (if the church will allow it) and our brains are swapped, u wld start to reason like me. While you cannot measure thots and emotions the results of these phenomenon can be seen. We may not be able to see evolution in full bloom because it takes a very loooooong time to pull through, we can still see micro evolution like the ones I described above. Even as an agnost, I never believd in evo, but after taking a cusory look at nature and its diversity, I couldnt help but agree with the promoters of evo
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 5:47pm On May 18, 2012
dekung: @Italo,
hmmm! I like your argument but I unfortunately do not sense so much honesty in it. Science tells me if I jump from the rooftop I must hit the ground, science taught me about force and other phenomenon which are testable. Science taught about energy, waves and the totality of how nature functions. Religion on the other hand tells me about spirits, heaven, hell, angels, God, Demons, curses and a load of other things that cannot be hernessed, tested and used by just anyone. I am sure you are typing with an electronic gadget and you make phone calls everyday. I dont need to tell to have faith or carry out some tasks before thee things could wrk, just follow simple testable instructions and vwualla, ur gadgets are working. Tell me honestly, how many people pray with all their hearts yet never get answers. Now compared that to how many people make phone calls per day and do not get expected service. You talked about dreams, thoughts and emotions. All these phenomenon are all functions of what goes on in ur brain. If science eventually perfects the art of brain transplant (if the church will allow it) and our brains are swapped, u wld start to reason like me. While you cannot measure thots and emotions the results of these phenomenon can be seen. We may not be able to see evolution in full bloom because it takes a very loooooong time to pull through, we can still see micro evolution like the ones I described above. Even as an agnost, I never believd in evo, but after taking a cusory look at nature and its diversity, I couldnt help but agree with the promoters of evo

I thought you would point out exactly where I was dishonest. All the things that religion (at least mine) teaches can be experienced by anyone. They just need to have to necessary tools to do so. Like you mentioned, you need to follow some simple instructions for your gadgets to work. So also you need to follow simple instructions and have certain tools to experience God. Can I make a call where there is no reception? No. Can I use my phone without power to charge it? No. Can I make a call if I don't have a phone? No. So also, you cannot experience God in a fruitful way if we don't have faith and humility among other things. Are you ready to follow these instructions and acquire these tools? No. How then can you get results. You are only like a man who expects to make a phone call with a hair drier.

Reading through the 2nd half of your post, I can see that you haven't furnished me with any concrete evidence to show that we humans, in fact, evolved from fishes. Also, you agreed to the existence of dreams, thoughts and emotions even though there is no concrete evidence of it. You're just putting up very weak defences. DO YOU DREAM? IF YOUR ANSWER IS YES, DO YOU HAVE CONCRETE PROOF? IF YOUR ANSWER IS NO, CAN WE THEN AGREE THAT YOU CAN BE SURE THAT SOMETHING EXISTS WITHOUT CONCRETE "EVIDENCE"?

Also, you didn't say if you've simulated electromagnetic waves before or you just BELIEVE scientists.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Know Anybody Ever Cured By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, Get In Here / Biometric Verification Number + National ID Card With Mastercard = 666! SAY NO!! / There Is No Salvation By Faith Without Works--femi Aribisala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.