Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,136 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:36 AM

Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! (6105 Views)

Fuel Saving Tips On Manual Transmissions. / Is It Wrong To Drive Automatic Transmissions With Both Legs? / Transmission Issues In The 2006 Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by pek(m): 8:59am On Jun 18, 2012
Dear all, I crave your help. My 2005 toyota camry LE. The initial problem i noticed was that it was not changing gears when it ought to. It will stall when it gets to a steep and sometimes it will stop. When you restart, it will move freely and fine. I was advised to change the gear and i bought a new one. It worked fine for two days and the problem continued. At a time it was not going into reverse. You have to put it neutral and give a push for it to work. I was told to top the oil and i added two extra litres. We scanned the car and got there error codes P0500, P0778, P2017 and C1330. The guy i called told me that the brainbox is bad. I just bought a new one in october. Please help. I dont know what else to do. Thanks a lot.
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by mdautotec(m): 5:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
PO500 indicates a vehicle speed sensor malfunction. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly. There may be a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor. The almost 0 km/h (0 MPH) signal from vehicle speed sensor is sent to ECM even when vehicle is being driven. This is when the code is detected. This will cause erratic transmission shifting problems and possibly a malfunctioning speedometer. Replacing the gearbox and ECM will not fix this problem.

Is there an ABS light illuminated on your instrument cluster? Have you replaced the ECM (engine control module), brain box? What is the outcome?

There could be multiple issues with the transmission electrical, as code PO778 also refers to the same (transmission electrical/shift solenoid).
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 20, 2012
Nawa .

u shuld have scanned the car before replacing the transmission.

first change ur VSS and then cme back to us with the result
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by pek(m): 11:06am On Jun 23, 2012
Thank you all, i appreciate. First, we cant get the speed sensor and must places i have good to dont know what it is or where it is located. Second, the VSS light is not on but the ABS light is on. Please more help will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by cretin: 5:26pm On Jun 23, 2012
ur problem might be that when the gearbox was changed out, that the mechanic didnt connect back all the sensors/cables that he shud hv.......no car touched by a naija mechanic is ever the same......EVER!!
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 23, 2012
pek: Thank you all, i appreciate. First, we cant get the speed sensor and must places i have good to dont know what it is or where it is located. Second, the VSS light is not on but the ABS light is on. Please more help will be appreciated. Thanks
this is not unexpected cos in my own case not only did my mechanic not knoow the location of the VsS, THE PART sellers at ladipo have no idea of what VSS IS. In my wn car, there are 2 sensors. One is input and the other is output. The output was the culprit and after checking harness etc, i changed the sensor and that was it

I'll say that Symptoms of a P0500 DTC may include: loss of anti-lock brakes the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all) your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic other symptoms may also be present A code P0500 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor.

Solution : If the wiring and connectors are OK, then check the voltage at the speed sensor. U can remove the sensor and take to a radionic to read the voltage. I also did this before changing mine

Again, the exact procedure wil depend on your make and model of vehicle. If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by Ikenna351(m): 6:19pm On Jun 23, 2012
Hi Pek,

Am not an auto transmission expert, but can chip one or two.

Where is the speed sensor mounted? Is it on the gearbox or the Bell housing? If its on the gearbox, did the newly replaced gearbox come with its speed sensor or the speed sensor on the old gearbox was removed & installed on the present gearbox in the car?

If the sensor is mounted on the gearbox & the present gearbox speed sensor is giving you the similar failure symptom of the other, thats weird. Either something is causing the failure of the sensor or the issue is not the sensor, but with the socket, harness or connection. If there is any form of loose contact or disconnection of the harness between the sensor & the transmission ecu, the ECU wont receive the signal or complete signal from the sensor & there wont be proper shifting of the transmission, since the ecu works with the signal received from the sensor to determine when the transmission shifts to a higher or lower gear, depending on the speed or rpm( the signal).

If I were you, I would first test/check the resistance value of the sensor to confirm its still reading the factory values or below. But if the sensor is mounted on the Bell housing or elsewhere, other than the gearbox, then the sensor may actually be the culprit. But it wouldnt hurt to test the sensor anyway, before condemning it. Be sure by checking that the connections, sockets or harness of the speed sensor are ok. Its what i would first do. Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by pek(m): 8:16pm On Jun 23, 2012
@ all, thanks a lot. If i an to test or check the sensor, the issue here is that we dont know the location or what it looks like. @ikenna your emails where wonderful.
Re: Transmissions Issues In 2005 Camry. Please Help! by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2012
i'll post a link for u. i dont have a camry.

whats the present condition of the car?

(1) (Reply)

Apple iCar And iMove Concept Car / Help!! Honda Accord 2009 Inspection / What Is Wrong With Your Car In Ibadan---ibadan Car Problems Solution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.