Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,710 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? (33074 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by onila(f): 11:29pm On Jul 23, 2012
shymmex:

Have you tasted it?

yea
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by onila(f): 11:30pm On Jul 23, 2012
I love jamaican patties tho

hot and spicy ones
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 23, 2012
onila:

yea

Hmmmmm... You need to upgrade your tongue.. grin
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 23, 2012
onila: I love jamaican patties tho

hot and spicy ones

Which of the patties do you like?

Curry, beaf, mutton, chicken, vegetable, or fish?

I keep patties handy in my fridge everyday lol...

They don't call me the pattie-boy for no reason..
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 12:05am On Jul 24, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

OMG!!! you are making me HUNGRY!! grin grin I agree we do have the best food in the caribbean. smiley

I read somewhere that Nigeria has it's own "beef patty"...

i think its called "meat pie". smiley

Is it any good? cheesy I want to try one!

Well mostly Central American, Cuban, Puerto Rican and Dominican.
We LITERALLY eat the same foods we just name them and prepare them differently
for example cod fish is a delicacy in all Caribbean islands and in spanish speaking
islands its called bacalao.

The African influence on Caribbean food is obvious in our stews and soups.
They usually have a LOT of meat!! cheesy Good stuff!!

Here is a picture of Puerto Rican Bacalao stew (bacalao = cod fish)

I LOOOOOOVE cod fish!!! cheesy

Yes we call it meat pie, and it is good the problem is some Nigerians know how to cook it good, some are ok and some are just plain disgusting
meat pie
[img]http://omonaij.files./2012/03/meat-pie.jpg[/img]

The bacalao stew looks similar to our fish stew, we mostly put either tilapia, Cat fish and other fishes
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 12:08am On Jul 24, 2012
shymmex: Curry Mutton with veg, and rice & peas = my favourite Jamaican dish..

I've tried that before very good, but mine was curry goat or curry chicken
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 12:10am On Jul 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Southern Creole is number one in my book.
Belize
Haiti
Old Fashioned Soul Food
Carrib

sounds good, the southern creole originated from New Orleans right?
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by MrsChima(f): 1:08am On Jul 24, 2012
Its popular in Mawlins but not originated from there.

Its a old style cooking many arent doing and difficult to do righf with proper teaching.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Rick31(m): 2:43am On Jul 24, 2012
Cape Verde food

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Rick31(m): 2:45am On Jul 24, 2012

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:12am On Jul 24, 2012

Curry?

Isn't that Indian?
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Nobody: 3:17am On Jul 24, 2012
PhysicsQED:
Curry?

Isn't that Indian?

That's Jamaican food.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 24, 2012
I'm surprised that armyfoneone has not posted here yet. . .

1. Nigerian
2. Ghanaian
3. Jamaican
4. Haitian
5. Mexican
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 24, 2012
anonymous6:

Yes we call it meat pie, and it is good the problem is some Nigerians know how to cook it good, some are ok and some are just plain disgusting
meat pie
[img]http://omonaij.files./2012/03/meat-pie.jpg[/img]

The bacalao stew looks similar to our fish stew, we mostly put either tilapia, Cat fish and other fishes

Oh you're here. grin grin grin

I prefer Nigerian meat pie to Jamaican meat pies tho, I feel like Nigerian's meat P has more taste and more ingredients in it.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by antitpiah: 3:21am On Jul 24, 2012
^^^

What do you mean by cuisine? P/u//s/s/y?
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:22am On Jul 24, 2012
shymmex:

That's Jamaican food.

Ok. But seeing Southeast Asian and Portuguese food mentioned in a top 5 black cultural foods thread is kind of strange to me.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by onila(f): 3:22am On Jul 24, 2012
Rick31.:
Portuguese and Cape Verde food

gosh horrible! undecided undecided

no pepper, no extra spice

the only good food in the world is Nigeria, ethiopian, chinese, thai food tongue

and yea italian pasta
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by antitpiah: 3:26am On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

the only good food in the world is Nigeria, ethiopian, chinese, thai food tongue

and yea italian pasta

Thats your opinion. I am just glad the rest of humanity doesnt agree with your deluded assessment. You call Nigerian delicacies food? You need your head checked.No wonder you all look like men; Morning, fufu; Afternoon; Eba; Evening, drink garri; Night, pounded yam. Where is the balanced diet in that. Not to even talk about the after-meal taste the food leaves in your mouth, so disgusting.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by onila(f): 3:29am On Jul 24, 2012
antitpiah:

Thats your opinion. I am just glad the rest of humanity doesnt agree with your deluded assessment. You call Nigerian delicacies food? You need your head checked.No wonder you all look like men; Morning, fufu; Afternoon; Eba; Evening, drink garri; Night, pounded yam. Where is the balanced diet in that. Not to even talk about the after-meal taste the food leaves in your mouth, so disgusting.

o boy this guy u be oyibo Nigerian or akata nigerian

we need 2 eat eba all day to be strong and able 2 survive the Nigerian hostile environment.
Nigeria has the best cuisine in the world not just in Africa

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by antitpiah: 3:32am On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

o boy this guy u be oyibo Nigerian or akata nigerian

we need 2 eat eba all day to be strong and able 2 survive the Nigerian hostile environment.
Nigeria has the best cuisine in the world not just in Africa

Eba doesnt make you strong, it makes you fat, lazy, sleepy and slow. And diabetic too.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by onila(f): 3:39am On Jul 24, 2012
antitpiah:

Eba doesnt make you strong, it makes you fat, lazy, sleepy and slow. And diabetic too.

sharrap! eba gives you energy
carbohydrate
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by MrsChima(f): 8:35am On Jul 24, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Ok. But seeing Southeast Asian and Portuguese food mentioned in a top 5 black cultural foods thread is kind of strange to me.

You know he is color-blind. Nothing Southeast Asian and Portuguese is Black....unless I fell asleep during Geography lecture. lipsrsealed
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by MrsChima(f): 8:37am On Jul 24, 2012
antitpiah:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by MrsChima(f): 8:38am On Jul 24, 2012
antitpiah:

Damn. shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by MrsChima(f): 8:40am On Jul 24, 2012
They have White Nigerians?
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 1:00pm On Jul 24, 2012
Rick31.:
Portuguese and Cape Verde food

The food looks delicious, I'll accept the cape Verdi but the Portuguese is it cape Verdi mixed with Portuguese or just Portuguese food from Portugal? because Portugal cuisine wouldn't be considered black cultural foods.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 1:02pm On Jul 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I'm surprised that armyfoneone has not posted here yet. . .

1. Nigerian
2. Ghanaian
3. Jamaican
4. Haitian
5. Mexican

Interesting list, nice

Ileke-IdI:

Oh you're here. grin grin grin

I prefer Nigerian meat pie to Jamaican meat pies tho, I feel like Nigerian's meat P has more taste and more ingredients in it.

You have a point, One thing about Nigerian meat pie is they put more things in it besides meat, like peppers, peas, carrots, potatoes and make it spicy and tasty so I agree.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

and yea italian pasta

Ok even though Chinese, Thai and Italian are not black cultural foods, I won't deny that their foods are good but their are other cultural cuisines besides the ones you listed that are good to. However For me Ethiopian is not my top 5 but their food is good though. You should expand your options though their are good foods out there though.

antitpiah:

ok what I conclude from both you and Onila is both of you have different taste, which is fine. This is not a contest at all just what is your favorite black cultural foods. However I must also add to your comment despite Nigerians eating Fufu, Eba, garri many of them are fit in Nigeria because they work in the sun. Do you know many Nigerians who live in the village as farmers depend on that and are as fit as a fiddle, and the women don't look like men. I have eaten those foods since I was young in the western world mind you and I don't look like a man, however I don't eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner though. Also I would like to add that Nigerians have other cuisines like different plaintain meals, rice meals, moi moi, different stews from Egusi to just simple stew soup, ogi, and Nigerians eat fruits and vegetables alot like sugar cane, banana's, and other tropical foods
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by anonymous6(f): 1:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
They have White Nigerians?

No, not in the way you may look at it lol. Their are whites in Nigeria who work in foreign companies or in foreign embassies from the UK, America and etc but actually citizens like it is in South Africa where their are white citizens/communities in the country after many generations No, Nigeria doesn't have white communities that have been there for many generations like it is in South Africa. So the term white Nigerians doesn't really exist but their are white people who born their kids in Nigeria and then after a few years move their kids back to their homelands, so those children in directly become citizens of Nigeria but are not original natives of the country. For example the actor by the name of Hugo Weaving that starred in the movie Matrix and Lord of the rings was born in Nigeria from white British parents but isn't a native of the country technically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Weaving#Early_li

Nigerians don't use the term white Nigerians it doesn't exist, at least to the government but I have heard this label used once on one white guy born in Nigeria from foreign parents on Youtube, here are the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3WE8V0F4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONS8yDx4C3I
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by chic2pimp(m): 5:39pm On Jul 24, 2012

Oya talk true How many Jamaican chics have u yanshed? grin

You seem to know a lot about their food and from experience I definitely know that's only possible if you have......... tongue
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Rick31(m): 2:01am On Jul 25, 2012
anonymous6:

The food looks delicious, I'll accept the cape Verdi but the Portuguese is it cape Verdi mixed with Portuguese or just Portuguese food from Portugal? because Portugal cuisine wouldn't be considered black cultural foods.

The capeverdean food is same as portuguese food
undecided
Re: What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? by Rick31(m): 2:03am On Jul 25, 2012
onila:

and yea italian pasta

?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Menā™„ / Gani Adams Rolling On The Floor In Church During Thanksgiving (Photos) / Abstract Or Stylized African Art In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.