Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,840 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander (3535 Views)

An Advice On 2004 Acura Tl / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / Land Rover Freelander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by daddywhite: 1:03am On Jul 19, 2012
I am thinking of picking a land rover freelander 2004 as my first car, pls advise me on this car in terms of Maintenance, fuel economy and durability. Thanks!
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by Seun(m): 2:23am On Jul 19, 2012
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by deeja(m): 9:16am On Jul 19, 2012
I have a 2004 Landrover Freelander. I can say it is a good and durable car. The parts are a little expensive more than the other cars but that is the cost I pay for durability. The parts are more readily available in Lagos compared to other parts of the country. The 2004 series uses an air flow meter so fuel consumption is okay for me in comparison to other SUVs. I use an average of N5000/6000 every week in Lagos because of the heavy traffic. Without heavy traffic, I use an average of N3000 a week. Every car has their own issues and Freelander model is not an exception. Overheating is the problem associated to Freelander series.
I did the following to prevent overheating
1. I told my mechanic to adjust the fan to start working immediately I start the engine.
2. I make sure I check the water level daily or weekly and I use radiator coolant to top the water level.

Since I got the car last year, I have not experienced overheating. The highest temperature so far has been 41 degrees.

If you have any other inquiries, please let me know.
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by cretin: 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2012
deeja: I have a 2004 Landrover Freelander. I can say it is a good and durable car. The parts are a little expensive more than the other cars but that is the cost I pay for durability. The parts are more readily available in Lagos compared to other parts of the country. The 2004 series uses an air flow meter so fuel consumption is okay for me in comparison to other SUVs. I use an average of N5000/6000 every week in Lagos because of the heavy traffic. Without heavy traffic, I use an average of N3000 a week. Every car has their own issues and Freelander model is not an exception. Overheating is the problem associated to Freelander series.
I did the following to prevent overheating
1. I told my mechanic to adjust the fan to start working immediately I start the engine.[size=18pt][/size]
2. I make sure I check the water level daily or weekly and I use radiator coolant to top the water level.

Since I got the car last year, I have not experienced overheating. The highest temperature so far has been 41 degrees.

If you have any other inquiries, please let me know.

the item highlighted is red is a big no no.you are gonna wreck ur engine within 2 to 3yrs max
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by thegame(m): 9:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
Wait o, I'm a lil confused here o. Doesn't the fan start working immediately you start d engine on all cars? Why do you carry it out as a special task again?
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by daddywhite: 10:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
Thanks pals! need more light on the maintenance aspect pls
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
thegame: Wait o, I'm a lil confused here o. Doesn't the fan start working immediately you start d engine on all cars? Why do you carry it out as a special task again?

No, an electric fan only operates once the engine coolant reaches a predetermined value (usually between 83 - 90 degrees).
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
deeja: 1. I told my mechanic to adjust the fan to start working immediately I start the engine.

It's bad practice to have your fan running constantly. Manufacturers have the fan operate at a preset temperature range for a reason - for the engine to operate at the most efficient range. A cold engine uses more gas, as the CTS will allow the engine to run richer. This cold enrichment is normal during the warm-up phase. The idea is for the engine to reach optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible.

An over-cooled engine is just as bad as an over-heated one - running at 41 degrees is really bad! A cold engine will naturally have more fuel going into the cylinders. This will cause "bore wash". This is a process by which excess fuel washes the oil from the cylinder bores. This will promote piston ring / cylinder bore wear. The result is an engine that burns oil and smokes due to excessive blow-by. The engine will also become incredibly thirsty. Eventually, performance will drop due to compression loss, which will lead to difficulty in starting, especially when the engine is hot.

Having the fan running constantly is as bad as having the thermostat removed. These cars are used in Arizona, Texas, Nevada etc, where the ambient temperatures are higher than that ever experienced in Nigeria, they don't overheat in these hot countries, the only reason overheating starts once they land in Nigeria is due to poor maintenance. The average user in Nigeria runs his / her car on water, no coolant mix. Water has a lower boiling point than the ideal 50/50 coolant / water mix.

Back to the topic of this thread - the 2004 Landrover Freelander with the 1,8 Rover K-series engine is not the most durable in the range. All Rover K-series engines are prone to cylinder head gasket failure, due to their very design. The block is aluminium, with steel cylinder liners. These liners are held in place at the bottom of the block by thick rubber sealing rings. These rings break down, causing the liners to sink. The tops of the liners then no longer maintain an adequate seal and contact with the head gasket, causing exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. This then pressurises, causing overheating.

75% of the time, a failed head gasket takes the cylinder head and block with it, an expensive repair. The petrol 2,5 V6-24V is also from the same Rover family, designated Rover KV6. Same weaknesses as the 1,8 version, but even worse, as there are two headgaskets to deal with, assuming that's all the issues are, and the complete motor isn't toast.

The only engine worth going for is the late 2004 onwards model. A 2,0 turbo diesel was always an option, though it was also a Rover unit. From late 2004 / early 2005 the 2,o Rover diesel was replaced with BMW's excellent common rail turbo diesel. A brilliant unit, which is the same reliable BMW diesel as used in the BMW E46 / E60 (320d / 520d).
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by cretin: 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2012
@ siena offtopic.
wanna switch from mobil xhp 20w 50 to mobil 1 0w 40. hv 127k miles on my car..bought it at 108k miles from the US...IS MY PLANNED GONNA HV ANY serious trouble for me?..hv heard peeps talk of warped orings etc
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by deeja(m): 9:03am On Jul 23, 2012
I will agree that having your fan running constantly is not an ideal practice and I might still revert to the original setup. However, I have never experienced oil and smokes issues due to excessive blow, not even once, in a year.

For some clarity, I did not say I constantly run the car at 41 degrees. I meant the highest temperatures the engine has ever reached is 41 degrees. The weather was unusually hot that day so I will assume that caused it.

My 2004 Freelander uses a 2.5 L Rover KV6 V6 engine which is more better than the 1.8 L K-Series. Improvements was done even though they belong to the K-series. The production facility was re-engineered. Those changes resolved some issues and the KV6 has a positive reputation for reliability.

Like you have also stated, most overheating issues occur in Nigeria due to poor maintenance and use of water as coolant. So I will say the use of radiator coolant has also gone a long way to mitigate the overheating issue.

Also, for KV6 engines, HGF tend to occur MOSTLY in winter as a result of the design of the cooling system - Due to the location of the thermostat, cold coolant is allowed to surge into the block without being mixed with hot coolant first.
Now that there is no serious winter conditions in Nigeria, I will say there is no serious need to really bother about HGF.
Re: Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander by bukkytroni: 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for the enlightenment and am so glad to read your post again. I earnestly anticipate your write ups. More grease sir

Siena:

It's bad practice to have your fan running constantly. Manufacturers have the fan operate at a preset temperature range for a reason - for the engine to operate at the most efficient range. A cold engine uses more gas, as the CTS will allow the engine to run richer. This cold enrichment is normal during the warm-up phase. The idea is for the engine to reach optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible.

An over-cooled engine is just as bad as an over-heated one - running at 41 degrees is really bad! A cold engine will naturally have more fuel going into the cylinders. This will cause "bore wash". This is a process by which excess fuel washes the oil from the cylinder bores. This will promote piston ring / cylinder bore wear. The result is an engine that burns oil and smokes due to excessive blow-by. The engine will also become incredibly thirsty. Eventually, performance will drop due to compression loss, which will lead to difficulty in starting, especially when the engine is hot.

Having the fan running constantly is as bad as having the thermostat removed. These cars are used in Arizona, Texas, Nevada etc, where the ambient temperatures are higher than that ever experienced in Nigeria, they don't overheat in these hot countries, the only reason overheating starts once they land in Nigeria is due to poor maintenance. The average user in Nigeria runs his / her car on water, no coolant mix. Water has a lower boiling point than the ideal 50/50 coolant / water mix.

Back to the topic of this thread - the 2004 Landrover Freelander with the 1,8 Rover K-series engine is not the most durable in the range. All Rover K-series engines are prone to cylinder head gasket failure, due to their very design. The block is aluminium, with steel cylinder liners. These liners are held in place at the bottom of the block by thick rubber sealing rings. These rings break down, causing the liners to sink. The tops of the liners then no longer maintain an adequate seal and contact with the head gasket, causing exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. This then pressurises, causing overheating.

75% of the time, a failed head gasket takes the cylinder head and block with it, an expensive repair. The petrol 2,5 V6-24V is also from the same Rover family, designated Rover KV6. Same weaknesses as the 1,8 version, but even worse, as there are two headgaskets to deal with, assuming that's all the issues are, and the complete motor isn't toast.

The only engine worth going for is the late 2004 onwards model. A 2,0 turbo diesel was always an option, though it was also a Rover unit. From late 2004 / early 2005 the 2,o Rover diesel was replaced with BMW's excellent common rail turbo diesel. A brilliant unit, which is the same reliable BMW diesel as used in the BMW E46 / E60 (320d / 520d).

(1) (Reply)

Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model / How To Increase Car Battery Life : What No One Tells You About Car Battery Life / FORD ESCAPE 2008 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.