Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,571 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre (1810 Views)

Where Was God Coming From Before HE Started Creation? / The Dark Knight Shooting -satanic Influence Of The Joker / Where Was God During The Rwandan Genocide ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 6:16pm On Jul 25, 2012
Almost everything we know about God can be seen in what he did not do to avert this massacre. God's inaction here is indistinguishable from him not caring at all, or being to weak to do anything all, or not being present at all, or not knowing anything at all. In fact, his inaction leads us to think he doesn't exist at all. David Hume suggested a line of argument that works very well here. If an Omni-God exists then he could have caused James Holmes to have a heart attack before leaving his apartment that day. He could have caused all of his guns to jam. He could have caused Holmes to suffer severe nausea at the very thought of doing this terrible deed, every time he thought of it. He could have had an accident on the way caused by a brake line leak. For believers to argue God remains hidden so as not to force obedience upon us, there is nothing about any of these suggested actions that would alert us to his presence. For believers to rhetorically ask how we know God doesn't intervene in other cases, the fact that he didn't intervene here, there, and so many many times elsewhere is strong evidence he doesn't act at all.

Innumerable things could have been done by this God to stop Holmes. But God was silent just exactly as if he doesn't exist at all. There is no noticeable difference in this present world where God is believed to exist from one where he doesn't exist at all. The notion of free will does not get believers off the hook either, unless they want to admit that this same God does not answer prayers. For surely there are believers across America and in every city and family praying every day for the safe protection of their loved ones and for people in general. So I put it to you. Either God's activity in our world is indistinguishable from his non-existence or he does not answer prayers. That's merely one of the many problems of belief in the light of this human tragedy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Kay17: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2012
Unfortunately God is trapped in minds of his followers.

2 Likes

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 6:42pm On Jul 25, 2012
Since no religionists are venturing an answer, I propose that God didn't do anything for the same reason Batman /Spiderman /Superman /Naruto did nothing. Nonexistence.

It is quite funny how any of those latter fictional characters would have intervened while Yahweh would have asked for sacrifices.

CGDidymus
The only reasonable explanation is that those that died are home with Jesus. They died to make us realize how fragile life is, that we should repent and believe so when we die we will go to heaven also. Oh no wait, some I'm sure were not believers. Okay, I can still make this work. They were never going to believe. So an all-knowing, all-loving God predestined them to be created, then shot, and then sent to hell to suffer forever. So there, God does care.

No wait, let me think about this. Isn't God the one that ordered fire on Sodom and Gomorrah? Didn't he flood the world and kill every living thing accept Noah's family? Didn't he have men, women and children killed in Jericho? Am I following a mass-murderer? I'll get back to you. I've got some serious praying to do.

2 Likes

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Acidosis(m): 6:54pm On Jul 25, 2012
The Almighty God is there in heaven, waiting for you to repent, seek his face and obey his commandment.

If you do otherwise, yours will be worse than the massacre, cos hell is meant for the unrepentant, non-believers like atheist, sinners and the likes. . Repent today and confess your sins.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by buzugee(m): 7:12pm On Jul 25, 2012
ea7 i need information on the ground level in naija. i seem to be getting contradicting information. i go on lindaikejiblogspot and the pictures i get of nigeria is so much wealth and glamour and beautiful people. yet in this section and the politics section i hear people lamenting about the hellish state of nigeria. what gives ?
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 7:17pm On Jul 25, 2012
buzugee: ea7 i need information on the ground level in naija. i seem to be getting contradicting information. i go on lindaikejiblogspot and the pictures i get of nigeria is so much wealth and glamour and beautiful people. yet in this section and the politics section i hear people lamenting about the hellish state of nigeria. what gives ?
It's a mixture of both. Both good and bad but with70:30 bad:good
As someone in the thirty part I can't say how bad it is. In London at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by buzugee(m): 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2012
ea7:
It's a mixture of both. Both good and bad but with70:30 bad:good
As someone in the thirty part I can't say how bad it is. In London at the moment.
can you elaborate on how good it is ? do you fear for your safety from the unfortunate 70 percent ? do you fear for the corrupt cops ?
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:34pm On Jul 25, 2012
He is simply non-interventionists - Humanity sucks monkey ballz grin
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 25, 2012
let me see, i think your google-god should answer why? Oh your god is not filtering why God was silent as those souls were gunned down? Hmm thinking again. Let me eat i will answer.

1 Like

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Cogent: 7:56pm On Jul 25, 2012
Similar questions have been raised before. If theists were to answer you, their answers would range from, 'The people killed were not faithful/didn't worship god enough' to 'It was the handwork of Satan'.
Lol.
Some people and their madness.

1 Like

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 7:56pm On Jul 25, 2012
-_____- @hisblud
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by enroute(m): 7:57pm On Jul 25, 2012
it is funny that a lot of people have no regard for God when things are rosy and smooth. as soon as a calamity shows up, we start screaming questions at the heavens. you have a right to question God in the bad times if you remembered him in the good times.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2012
@enroute. Cool story bro
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2012
en-route:
it is funny that a lot of people have no regard for God when things are rosy and smooth. as soon as a calamity shows up, we start screaming questions at the heavens. you have a right to question God in the bad times if you remembered him in the good times.
God has the power to make all things good. He doesn't
A little beef with an usurper is what keeps men in this men. Can't he forgive?
Abi Jesus blood no cover Satan transgression?
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Cogent: 8:05pm On Jul 25, 2012
ea7: @enroute. Cool story bro
grin
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by buzugee(m): 8:13pm On Jul 25, 2012
ea7 i know you saw the second part of my question angry
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Goshen360(m): 8:31pm On Jul 25, 2012
@ OP,

Where was God during Joker/James Holmes massacre?

The same place God was when you cheated in the past and got away with it. Where was God? I tell you where He was - The same place God was when you stole in the past and same God allowed you to get away with it. The same place God was when you lied and you got away with it. The same place God was when did fraud and manipulated your fellow human being and you got away with it. Where was God? The same place God was when you committed murder in the past, and mind you it necessarily killing that is murder in the sight of God for he who hates his brothers is a murderer. Where was God? The same place where God was when you committed adultery/fornication.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ea7(m): 8:51pm On Jul 25, 2012
@goshen I am sure you saw the post where I said that batman/Superman would hsv. Saved them. Despite not being all good. Think about that.

@buzugee Avoid corrupt cops and people who look like thugs.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by manmustwac(m): 7:18am On Jul 26, 2012
Imagine if any Nigerians were there & survived the massacre. They'd be saying "Na God O! God saved me" blah blah blah then go & meet their Pastor offering him a huge sum of money as thanksgiving.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 26, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

The same place God was when you cheated in the past and got away with it. Where was God? I tell you where He was - The same place God was when you stole in the past and same God allowed you to get away with it. The same place God was when you lied and you got away with it. The same place God was when did fraud and manipulated your fellow human being and you got away with it. Where was God? The same place God was when you committed murder in the past, and mind you it necessarily killing that is murder in the sight of God for he who hates his brothers is a murderer. Where was God? The same place where God was when you committed adultery/fornication.
hmm this is a beautiful attempt to show em where God is since their google-god was filtering error on their questionwink
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Jakumo(m): 9:48am On Jul 26, 2012
All too often in Nigeria, God becomes the most convenient "Authority Figure", whose name is invoked both by leering "prophets" so they can feel up teenage girls in "holy bathing" sessions held on river banks, and by fast-talking pastors who parlay the "Fear of God" into epic revenue streams rivaled only by the profits that accrue to narcotics mega-traffickers. God is also the primary code-word intoned by confidence trickster preachers and "prophets" whose stock in trade is cash-for-prayers, and of course God is the perceived guarantor of impunity for criminal behavior, just as the devil is the usual scapegoat blamed exclusively by all arrested outlaws faced with justice after their anticipated divine protection fails to deploy.

In identical fashion, young northern Nigerian Muslim men, like their Iraqui and Afghani copunterparts, insane with the repressed desires of growing up in gender-segregated societies, invoke their own blood-thirsty version of God, as they strap on improvised bombs to blow themselves up in crowded places, so as to qualify for frolics in heaven with 72 virgins, as promised by women-hating mullahs and clerics with links to global terror networks. In this very malignant context, God has become be one of the strongest unifying forces available as a tool to instigate and perpetuate genocide that pits once-peaceful neigbors against one another.

It is therefore paradoxical to note that men and women of faith have also, in nearly equal numbers throughout history, undertaken selfless acts of great compassion and charity, often at grave personal risk, to save and uplift others, regardless of differences in race, creed or religion between those in need of help, and those capable of rendering it.

The concept of "God" is, ultimately, what every human being chooses to make it, be that none-existent, good, evil or temperamental.

1 Like

Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by dipotech: 11:06am On Jul 26, 2012
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Acidosis(m): 6:54pm On Jul 25

The Almighty God is there in heaven, waiting for you to repent, seek his face and obey his commandment.

If you do otherwise, yours will be worse than the massacre, cos hell is meant for the unrepentant, non-believers like atheist, sinners and the likes. . Repent today and confess your sins.

That's just it, you need repentance before it's too late bro.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by buzugee(m): 11:07am On Jul 26, 2012
dipotech:
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Acidosis(m): 6:54pm On Jul 25

That's just it, you need repentance before it's too late bro.
ea7 dont need repentance. he needs an exorcism
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by ijawkid(m): 11:54am On Jul 26, 2012
buzugee: ea7 dont need repentance. he needs an exorcism

Lmao........

He really does need it....
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2012
The question should be where was God throughout the planning stages? It took Holmes months to plan this massacre.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Delafruita(m): 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

honestly,this doesnt suffice.on one hand,you're highlighting god's reluctance to punish while on the other hand the poster is highlighting god's reluctance to save.if god decides not to punish,thats mercy,but if he refuses to save,thats callous
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Jakumo(m): 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
babaearly: The question should be where was God throughout the planning stages? It took Holmes months to plan this massacre.

God has more branch offices per square mile in Nigeria than in any other country on Earth. It therefore stands to reason that The Almighty, during the time-frame in question, was fully engaged responding to urgent communications sent up from night-vigils in Nigeria, which enabled an armed madman in far away America to hatch and carry out his plan.

Coming back to the question asked by the poster of this thread, as to why God did not put a pre-emptive stop the movie-house massacre in Colorado, one cannot help but be reminded that the same question about God's inaction in the face of evil has been asked repeatedly over the six decades that have elapsed since the Nazi Holocaust of WW2, when Adolph Hitler's Nazi party gassed to death and incinerated six million Jews that had been herded from ghettos into concentration camps.

Survivors of the Khmer Rouge pogroms in Cambodia will no doubt have wondered what sort of a god could stand by and permit the Killing Fields of 1970 to consume two million souls via the most barbaric of torture regimes, while survivors of the Bosnian civil war massacres of the 1990s will also have pondered the same question as they recall the horrors they witnessed when Serbian forces ran amok.

With all this in mind, will the REAL God, or at least His Personal Assistant for African Affairs, please stand up.
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by oaroloye(m): 2:26am On Nov 24, 2016
I have answered this recently:

THERE WAS NO MINYAN in that city, is why that happened.

None of the victims was part of a MINYAN, nor CONTRIBUTED to a MINYAN- so all of them were "FAIR GAME."

UNBELIEVERS CONCEITEDLY THINK THEIR LIVES ARE IMPORTANT- SO THEY THINK THAT GOD, IF HE EXISTS, MUST ESTEEM THEIR LIVES TO BE VALUABLE- AND REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE EXISTENCE OF A CREATOR WHO DOES NOT PERCEIVE THEM AS VALAUABLE.

To God, there was no evidence these victims would ever amount to anything- so their disposal sooner instead of later was irrelevant.

God offers IMMORTALITY- but people ignore that, and go about their businesses and their entertainments- then have the temerity to demand to know where GOD was, when their FRIVOLITIES left them VULNERABLE!
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by uvalued(m): 3:18am On Nov 24, 2016
oaroloye:
I have answered this recently:

THERE WAS NO MINYAN in that city, is why that happened.

None of the victims was part of a MINYAN, nor CONTRIBUTED to a MINYAN- so all of them were "FAIR GAME."

UNBELIEVERS CONCEITEDLY THINK THEIR LIVES ARE IMPORTANT- SO THEY THINK THAT GOD, IF HE EXISTS, MUST ESTEEM THEIR LIVES TO BE VALUABLE- AND REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE EXISTENCE OF A CREATOR WHO DOES NOT PERCEIVE THEM AS VALAUABLE.

To God, there was no evidence these victims would ever amount to anything- so their disposal sooner instead of later was irrelevant.

God offers IMMORTALITY- but people ignore that, and go about their businesses and their entertainments- then have the temerity to demand to know where GOD was, when their FRIVOLITIES left them VULNERABLE!
word
Re: Where Was God During Joker's/James Holmes Massacre by Niflheim(m): 7:02am On Nov 24, 2016
@ea7,

1.The christian god is as silent as "a piece of granite rock"!!!

2.The christian god is as dead as "julius caesar"!!!

3.The christian god is as inactive as a Madagascan
Sloth, sleeping in the day time!!!

4.And the christian god is as "unbelievably uninteractive" as a fossilized skeleton of a prehistoric primate!!!

But why does the christian god possess all these worthless characteristics?........................BECAUSE HE DOES NOT EXIST!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Polygamy A Sin In The Bible? / Popes To Be Declared Saints In April / A Critical Look at Religion !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.