Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values (1655 Views)

Do You Believe In Luck? / Taafoo.com Core Values / What Are The Skills And Values Of A Good Lawyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 11:16am On Jul 26, 2012
I have read the core values, vision and mission statement of hundreds of organization. i have discovered that most of these organizations are far from what they claim to be their core values. what is your take on this.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by spicyv1(f): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2012
I totally agree with you poster. I have observed the same thing myself. I think they just lose sight θf why they actually started the business and created room for distractions. It really requires a lot θf focus and sacrifices to stick to the original plan. Specialization has given way to generalization in businesses.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
spicy v: I totally agree with you poster. I have observed the same thing myself. I think they just lose sight θf why they actually started the business and created room for distractions. It really requires a lot θf focus and sacrifices to stick to the original plan. Specialization has given way to generalization in businesses.
very correct my brother. every company takes the shape of its owner(s)
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by yemmyma: 5:50pm On Jul 26, 2012
its all about marketing.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by spicyv1(f): 9:02pm On Jul 26, 2012
@ Dadde I am not your brother, I am your sister, lol. @ Yemmy: how do you mean? Kindly expantiate.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 8:36am On Jul 27, 2012
spicy v: @ Dadde I am not your brother, I am your sister, lol. @ Yemmy: how do you mean? Kindly expantiate.

thanks noted.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by yemmyma: 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2012
spicy v: @ Dadde I am not your brother, I am your sister, lol. @ Yemmy: how do you mean? Kindly expantiate.

The topic failed to separate these three entities. Core Value, vision, mission.

So my response was more inclined towards vision and mission. I don't know if the Op shares my thoughts on core value
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2012
I believe they do, at least the founders would.
What's the reason for the post exactly?
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by spicyv1(f): 9:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
AjanleKoko: I believe they do, at least the founders would.
What's the reason for the post exactly?

If they do, it would be very evident in their business conduct and pursuits rather than stir up doubts.

I see the relevance θf this post as it encourages serious minded business owners to not only focus on the essence θf the existence θf their businesses but to also groom their staff to understand the business manual (core values, vision and mission statement)and to effectively interprete its language to themselves and then to clients.

1 Like

Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by Jarus(m): 6:36am On Jul 28, 2012
Some do, to some its just some theory.

Many of them have integrity as one of their key core values, but they fail in it.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 12:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
yemmy_ma: [/b]

The topic failed to separate these three entities. Core Value, vision, mission.

So my response was more inclined towards vision and mission. I don't know if the Op shares my thoughts on core value
i agree with you on this but the topic will be too long if all is to be stated. However, organization's core values should reflect in their mission and vision statement.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
spicy v:

If they do, it would be very evident in their business conduct and pursuits rather than stir up doubts.

I see the relevance θf this post as it encourages serious minded business owners to not only focus on the essence θf the existence θf their businesses but to also groom their staff to understand the business manual (core values, vision and mission statement)and to effectively interprete its language to themselves and then to clients.

Can the OP provide instances where the businesses did not live up to their core values and/or mission statement?
The post is too generic.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 10:45am On Jul 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Can the OP provide instances where the businesses did not live up to their core values and/or mission statement?
The post is too generic.
i know many companies that will promise yes but say no. they are all over us. in the bankn industries, oil and gas and evn sme.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 10:49am On Jul 31, 2012
dadde:
i know many companies that will promise yes but say no. they are all over us. in the bankn industries, oil and gas and evn sme.

Again, you are not substantiating your claim. State one instance, where an organization clearly acted in contrast to its stated mission and core values.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by ocelot2006(m): 1:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
IMHO, I believe most institutions do follow their respective mission statements and the vision of their respective founders. These guide their daily business operations.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by yemmyma: 3:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
An Indian IT company headquartered in the U.S started out with their core value i suppose 'let's pretend to be India's most ethical company'

Recently, the same company has been drawn in a long battle with U.S officials for giving out cheap work visas to Indians to migrate to the U.S.

I am not sure if this is part of what the Op is talking about.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 3:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
I suspect this thread is an attempt by the OP to blame some company for something that has happened to him. undecided
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 4:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
AjanleKoko: I suspect this thread is an attempt by the OP to blame some company for something that has happened to him. undecided

I really don't know why you are so particular about naming companies. to start with, go and read your companies creeds and see if they keep to it to the letter.
Most company says employees are their greatest asset but believe me they regard employee as a tool to achieve an aim. immediately they achieve their target they find a way to dispose off them. however, this does not not apply to all coys
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 4:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
dadde:

I really don't know why you are so particular about naming companies. to start with, go and read your companies creeds and see if they keep to it to the letter.
Most company says employees are their greatest asset but believe me they regard employee as a tool to achieve an aim. immediately they achieve their target they find a way to dispose off them. however, this does not not apply to all coys

Okay. Now we are getting somewhere. We finally have something we can work with.
The first thing I will bring to your attention is the fact that all assets, no matter how valuable, will depreciate over time, and will need to be replaced eventually.
And that does not exclude the employees, however valuable they might be. In my opinion, that is not a violation of the employer's core values. They can treat an employee right, pay good wages, but if the employee (asset) is not yielding value commensurate to the investment, they stand the risk of being replaced.

1 Like

Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 10:48am On Aug 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Okay. Now we are getting somewhere. We finally have something we can work with.
The first thing I will bring to your attention is the fact that all assets, no matter how valuable, will depreciate over time, and will need to be replaced eventually.
And that does not exclude the employees, however valuable they might be. In my opinion, that is not a violation of the employer's core values. They can treat an employee right, pay good wages, but if the employee (asset) is not yielding value commensurate to the investment, they stand the risk of being replaced.

obviously u dont understand. almost all organization have in their creed that their employees/customers are key, but do they all threat them as such. i dont know what u are trying to defend. Organization have sent their employees away without benefits; some have supplied goods and services that are abysmal and you are here telling me =@*^%$#
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Aug 01, 2012
dadde:

obviously u dont understand. almost all organization have in their creed that their employees/customers are key, but do they all threat them as such. i dont know what u are trying to defend. Organization have sent their employees away without benefits; some have supplied goods and services that are abysmal and you are here telling me =@*^%$#

Ogbeni,
There you go, generalizing again.
I don't represent any company. Just helping you to put the facts into perspective.
This is why I asked you for specific examples.
Which companies sent their employees away without benefits? And were there benefits promised to those employees?
Please provide specifics, so we can help you discuss the matter in more detail. Or should we stay away and let you run the thread as a monologue?

1 Like

Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 2:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Ogbeni,
There you go, generalizing again.
I don't represent any company. Just helping you to put the facts into perspective.
This is why I asked you for specific examples.
Which companies sent their employees away without benefits? And were there benefits promised to those employees?
Please provide specifics, so we can help you discuss the matter in more detail. Or should we stay away and let you run the thread as a monologue?

you asked for examples ,here they are:
https://www.nairaland.com/898441/n970m-suit-zenith-bank-loses
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 2:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
About 1,500 former Intercontinental Bank workers recently sacked by the new management of Access Bank Plc Monday staged a peaceful protest outside the Abuja regional headquarters of the bank to demand the payment of their severance benefits.

The protest, which saw the distressed workers with a large banner displaying a message conveying their grievances, disrupted normal operations at the bank for more than two hours, before they dispersed after extracting a promise from the bank's management to meet their demands latest by next Friday. Pauly Iziguso, who spoke on behalf of the workers, drawn from all the branches of Intercontinental Bank in the northern part of the country, said since their appointment were summarily terminated on January 27, 2012, the management of Access Bank had not formally communicated to the affected workers on modalities for the payment of their entitlements. According to Mr. Iziguso, the bank suggested an offer from the bank to voluntarily resign their appointments, as being sacked tend to suggest they committed acts of gross misconduct or fraud. “For more than three weeks, we have been going back and forth on the matter with Access Bank management and they have not allowed us to resign,” Mr. Iziguso said. “Since January 27 when we were disengaged, nobody has told us anything," hesaid. "No communication whatsoever. Nobody has been paid. Yet, they are blackmailing us. We have decided to suspend the protest till further notice, because the Access Bank management in Lagos has communicated to the management in Abuja that payments would be made to all those that have completed their documentations latest by next Friday. But if on that day we are not paid we will take the protest to another level. And no policeman would be able to stop us.” Another members of the group, who simply identified himself as Augustine, who claimed to have been the Regional Branch service head for the North Central region, said the former workers were bitter because of the manner Access adopted in relieving them of their jobs, after some had put in between 10 to 15 years. “In January, we came to the office only to discover that we could not log on to our official computer systems,” Augustine recalled. “On inquiries, we were told that the bank was going to downsize. Later a text message came with the directive that all the affected staff from the whole of the northern part of the country should meet at one hotel in at Wuse 2, Abuja, on Saturday January 28. On arrival at the hotel, we were handed formal letters of termination of our appointments. “Our offence was that we were not able to meet some deposit mobilization targets given by management in November last year. The target, which was for six months for different categories of officials, including trainee level graduates to managers in IT, operations and admin departments, was to mobilize between N10million and N30million every month in demand deposits, savings and current accounts that they would pay interests. “Additional condition for meeting the target was that owners of those new accounts must not withdraw from them till after the six months period, otherwise the staff should bring three times the amount withdrawn, or lose their jobs. A performance assessment was scheduled for May this year, to determine what to do with those who fell short of the target.” He said they were surprised that barely two months into the assignment, their appointments were terminated, adding that despite several pleas for them to be allowed to resign, the bank stood its ground. Though the aggrieved workers said they reported the matter to the Niger Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), they were referred to the Association of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions Employees (ASBIFIE), who supported Access Bank's management action. “Since January 30, we have been protesting quietly without anybody listening to us. That is why we say we should come here today and demonstrate, and maybe if we block the entrance of the bank, and disrupt their operations, they would listen to us,’ he said.

Source:PremiumTimes
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 2:39pm On Aug 01, 2012
you asked for it. Gba

IT is not yet a quick fix, especially in the area of human capital needs for most merged banks, as they have continued to cut down on their workforce.
This post-merger action has attracted stiff resistance from bank employees, who want strict adherence to the rules of their engagement by the new owners of the banks.
After losing in the internal intrigues in the banks, the sacked employees have taken their case to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
In a petition to the apex bank, the disengaged workers alleged that the manner of their sack was designed to deny them their severance pay. They therefore asked the CBN to call the affected banks to order by directing the management to recall them or in the alternative properly disengage them.
Even the retained workers, including senior management officers, are not faring better as their employers have continued to change the rules of their engagement.
The situation is, however, worse for a large number of those who have been sacked in the recurring restructuring exercises, as no avenue for redress had been opened to them. Consequently, the aggrieved workers have taken to the streets in protests, and in some cases, occupying the zonal offices or headquarters of the affected banks in some state capitals and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The Guardian learnt that the end of the current downsizing in the banking sector might not be in sight as the retained workers in the acquired entities might experience more stringent work environment.
In fact, retained workers, who are not comfortable with the new terms and agreements of one of the merged banks have been given a deadline of February 3, 2012 to resign and get their severance benefits or stick to the new terms of employment.
By last weekend, over 1,500 workers of an acquired bank had been laid off by the new “master” bank in a most bizarre manner. The workers in the South-eastern zone were asked to report to a hotel in Port Harcourt for re-orientation exercise on Saturday but were shocked when they were handed sack letters peremptorily.
According to details made available to The Guardian, retained members of staff indebted to the bank in form of loans and were given a month to pay up or have had their appointments terminated.
Also, the data available to The Guardian showed that most of the sacked employees were polytechnic graduates or those without university degrees
So far, Access Bank and Intercontinental have fused while Ecobank has acquired Oceanic Bank. The branches of Intercontinental Bank now wear the corporate identity, of Access Bank. The closure of some branches of Intercontinental Bank is seen as part of the downsizing plan of the new owners.
The completion of the merger of Access Bank and Intercontinental Bank is expected to end in March.
In a statement sent to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Access Bank said the merger of business would be effected through a scheme of merger pursuant to Part XII of the Investments and Securities Act (No. 29) of 2007.
The bank said it had envisaged that the merger would take between 18 and 24 months, adding that it was able to fast-track the process due to a number of factors such as the pre-merger integration process and the support of stakeholders.
Meanwhile, rage and protestation have continued to trail last week’s sacking of over 1,500 workers of Intercontinental Bank by the management of its new owners. On Monday, the affected workers in Abuja staged a peaceful protest at the Cadastral zonal branch office of the Intercontinental Bank near the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC).
The workers, who carried placards with different inscriptions such as: “Say no to injustice, Give us our gratuity; Save our sweat; Pay us our gratuity and severance package now,” told The Guardian that the exercise was a witch-hunt by the new core investor.
The spokesman of the sacked workers, Mr. Pauli Isiguzo, alleged that the new management was acting out a prepared script to weed out Intercontinental Bank workers and replace them with those of Access Bank. He said while a six-month appraisal time was set for them for May this year, the management last week handed them termination letters.
He claimed that the workers irrespective of their departments were given unrealistic deposit targets ranging from N500 million to billions of naira to meet.
Isiguzo said they were directed to prevail on customers not to withdraw from their accounts, particularly between December and last January or be ready to mobilise new deposit in place of withdrawn monies if they were to keep their jobs.
The workers under the platform of the Group of 2012 Unjustly Terminated Staff of Intercontinental Bank Plc, who petitioned the CBN, alleged injustice by their new management in the handling of their sack.
In the petition, a copy of which The Guardian obtained, they appealed to the apex bank to ensure an immediate withdrawal of their termination letters and in the alternative, proper letters of disengagement issued to them with full severance packages defined for all grades of the employees.
When contacted on the issue, CBN spokesman, Mr. Mohammed Abdullahi, replied that he was in a meeting and could not comment on it.
Access Bank’s Head of Corporate Affairs, Mr. Austin Edoja Peters, who said he was working on the management’s reaction, also failed to respond to The Guardian’s enquiries at the time of going to press.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
@OP,
Thanks for {finally} providing some information.
However, can you post the mission statement of those companies as well, so we can have everything in the right perspective.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by spicyv1(f): 3:56pm On Aug 01, 2012
@ Dadde: Are you serious? Is this really the point you had in mind to drive across when you created your topic? If it was then I retract my concurrence with your ideology. I mean this long epistle you posted as an example does not even correlate with your topic much less justify your points! Please present specific facts that substantiates your argument.

However, I still maintain that I have actually encountered businesses with pursuits that takes them further from their vision and mission statement. Its just an imaginary theory to them.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by dadde(m): 8:50am On Aug 02, 2012
spicy v: @ Dadde: Are you serious? Is this really the point you had in mind to drive across when you created your topic? If it was then I retract my concurrence with your ideology. I mean this long epistle you posted as an example does not even correlate with your topic much less justify your points! Please present specific facts that substantiates your argument.

However, I still maintain that I have actually encountered businesses with pursuits that takes them further from their vision and mission statement. Its just an imaginary theory to them.

thanks a lot. i quite understand your angle. i just posted that to put ajanlekoko off my back. my "epistle" are just a tiny example.
i was actually referring to some other creeds like, integrity,innovative , customer service and employee development as well.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by AjanleKoko: 9:01am On Aug 02, 2012
dadde:
thanks a lot. i quite understand your angle. i just posted that to put ajanlekoko off my back. my "epistle" are just a tiny example.
i was actually referring to some other creeds like, integrity,innovative , customer service and employee development as well.

grin grin
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by spicyv1(f): 11:44am On Aug 02, 2012
dadde:

Lol. Okay.
Re: Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values by Mustay(m): 9:05am On Aug 14, 2012
yemmy_ma: its all about marketing.

And it's more of strategy!!! heheheh

AjanleKoko: I suspect this thread is an attempt by the OP to blame some company for something that has happened to him. undecided

AjanleKokoCtopus. And it did go the way of the 'affected employees'. iGuess students would always lash out at lecturers until they become one themselves - forgive my weak analogy. smiley

(1) (Reply)

2.1 In Geology How Far Will It Take You? / Naval Short Service Recuitment / Accounting System For An Hmo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.