Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa (53993 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official / Onitsha The Largest Business City In Afica! How True Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by rhymz(m): 5:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: I maintain that the claim about Onitsha market is BOGUS AND UNSUBSTANTIATED that is the issue here
you are a Whiny little grouch that thinks he is in a competition of who gets the last word. Obviously, NL gives you the ego boost you so lack in real life. Hello, there is real life outside the bandwidth of NL, go get a Job.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
rhymz: you are a Whiny little grouch that thinks he is in a competition of who gets the last word. Obviously, NL gives you the ego boost you so lack in real life. Hello, there is real life outside the bandwidth of NL, go get a Job.
that boy is making himself look s.t.u.p.i.d....onitsha that have produced too many billionaires&millionaires and he is here typing rubbish, i think sometimes is too good to be true for them, and they cant accept it...
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
So I need a boost ?OK
Thank you SEUN for giving me a boost

What is that pesky midge flying around my butt
sniffing my AS5

Embittered nebbish cannot stay away from me.
Do I care about him?
what about his mother ? Not interested
For all I care she may have another seizure and fall in front of a trailer.
His pa ? DNGAS
life is simple find someone else to play with because I really do not care about you or your folk.
Completely Indifferent.
But they are vexed and shall be vexed all their days along with their fathers and mothers ,vexation shall not depart their house.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by rhymz(m): 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: So I need a boost ?OK
Thank you SEUN for giving me a boost

What is that pesky midge flying around my butt
sniffing my AS5

Embittered nebbish cannot stay away from me.
Do I care about him?
what about his mother ? Not interested
For all I care she may have another seizure and fall in front of a trailer.
His pa ? DNGAS
life is simple find someone else to play with because I really do not care about you or your folk.
Completely Indifferent.
But they are vexed and shall be vexed all their days along with their fathers and mothers ,vexation shall not depart their house.
lol. . You need two things, a real life and a job.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by igboboy1(m): 2:43am On Jul 31, 2012
chino11: Whether its 10 or 8 lanes its still the same. Btw, Its not by structures only, infrastructural development is part of it biko. Today government is restructuring and remodelling Head Bridge to befit a big city of Onitsha and glory of Igboland.

Chino the ANambra militant or is it the awka militant..you are just like eko-ile the lagos militant.

Look Peter Obi is not a radical so Anambra cannot witness Radical change under his leadership. I believe Obi is smart and has good intentions but he is just too gentle for my liking..

Your Boyfriend Mr.Uba is a thug and a thief so he wouldnt do Anambra any good. He is worse than Obasanjo. For meaningful change you need the Likes of ROchas (smart, articulate and a radical) to govern Anambra...

It is sad with so much potential in anambra it is yet to live up to its true ability....
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by CHANCEMAN: 4:54am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: I maintain that the claim about Onitsha market is BOGUS AND UNSUBSTANTIATED that is the issue here

Mr. Aribisala Onitsha market is bigger than any market in Lagos and it is serviced by the Lagos ports, port harcourt port and other illegal import routes.You talk of technical definittion of distribution when you do noy even understand the ordinary meaning of the word.Please do not display your crass ignorance here mister Lagos stock exchange is the biggest market.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by CHANCEMAN: 4:59am On Jul 31, 2012
We know your type maybe you get one small job for one finacial institution you want to come and educate us arguing about issues back and forth.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 6:46am On Jul 31, 2012
Onitsha market is the biggest market in the universe ,you believe.I don't believe it . Onitsha is serviced the same way as every other Nigerian market

This is not your village Ilo. If you make a claim back it up otherwise we might as well be talking about whether Your pen1s is the smallest in the world

what relevance is it whether your father's job is palm wine tapper or rat poison seller ? It is when you are flummoxed in debate that you resort to ad hominem attacks. Well my policy is simple you cross the line with me ; nothing is sacred with me ;your mother,father or children.
Let us talk about the market and if you got nothing to say shut up!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by rhymz(m): 8:57am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: Onitsha market is the biggest market in the universe ,you believe.I don't believe it . Onitsha is serviced the same way as every other Nigerian market

This is not your village Ilo. If you make a claim back it up otherwise we might as well be talking about whether Your pen1s is the smallest in the world

what relevance is it whether your father's job is palm wine tapper or rat poison seller ? It is when you are flummoxed in debate that you resort to ad hominem attacks. Well my policy is simple you cross the line with me ; nothing is sacred with me ;your mother,father or children.
Let us talk about the market and if you got nothing to say shut up!

You take yourself too seriously, Mr Lame. You have been ranting here like a Yoruba street thug, all mouth and no substance and nobody has taken you seriously, instead you have been treated like a leper.
Go and get a job Mr, prowling and laying in siege 24/7 on the internet for responses to your hate-filled invectives for the Igbos is not a job. . Lol. I can imagine how miserable your parents will be having a failure like you as a child. Nobody here gives a 4ck about your garbage knowledge; you are not in the league of Gbawe, ekt_bear, Katsumoto and those other Yoruba intellectuals you desperately want to be like. You are a fucking joke, a mediocre and pretender trying so hard to parade himself as an intellectual. Fcking tout that has no real Job besides massaging his bruised ego by talking tough on the internet, be a man and get a real life. .lol. . Virtual Lion!!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:10am On Jul 31, 2012
rhymz: You take yourself too seriously, Mr Lame. You have been ranting here like a Yoruba street thug, all mouth and no substance and nobody has taken you seriously, instead you have been treated like a leper.
Go and get a job Mr, prowling and laying in siege 24/7 on the internet for responses to your hate-filled invectives for the Igbos is not a job. . Lol. I can imagine how miserable your parents will be having a failure like you as a child. Nobody here gives a 4ck about your garbage knowledge; you are not in the league of Gbawe, ekt_bear, Katsumoto and those other Yoruba intellectuals you desperately want to be like. You are a fucking joke, a mediocre and pretender trying so hard to parade himself as an intellectual. Fcking tout that has no real Job besides massaging his bruised ego by talking tough on the internet, be a man and get a real life. .lol. . Virtual Lion!!

leper no ! You sniff my every fart waitting for the latest offering.
You take me more seriously than your father.do not deceive yourself.
Don't be silly.Nwa oseaka!!
You want me to take you seriously,gay boy.lol.
you are quite easy to read;Father deficit psyche
I know you want to be my b1tch.No i don't do that sorry.Nebbish.
keeps threatening to go but coming back for more
BIIIITCH.
Lol at Yoruba streeet thug
B!tch fantasizing about armoured Yoruba D1CK grin
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 9:25am On Jul 31, 2012
Largest market in terms of Volume of Business,
Largest in terms of GDP
Largets single market in terms on Number of stalls /shops
Largest in terms o Diversity of Goods and services
Largest in terms of Volume of Patronage
Largest in terms of Geography

Onitsha remains the Largest Market in West Africa but not neccessarily the biggest Commercial city in west africa , i understand there equally big markets in
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:31am On Jul 31, 2012
Data is the stuff of evidence not bullying nor bluster
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Pukkah: 10:21am On Jul 31, 2012
kettykin: Largest market in terms of Volume of Business,

How many large trading companies or local corporates are there and what is their average annual turnover? What is the balance sheet size of the top bank branches there? What is the IGR from Onitsha?

kettykin:
Largest in terms of GDP

Who measured the GDP and what approach (income, expenditure or product) was adopted? What year was it measured?

kettykin:
Largets single market in terms on Number of stalls /shops

What is the number of stalls and shops there? Can you get this information from the LGAs or trade associations there?

kettykin:
Largest in terms o Diversity of Goods and services

State how diverse please. Give examples. State the second largest market in Nigeria in terms of diversity.

kettykin:
Largest in terms of Volume of Patronage

Well, let's see the answer to your first assertion first. We can then work from there.

kettykin:
Largest in terms of Geography

Onitsha remains the Largest Market in West Africa but not neccessarily the biggest Commercial city in west africa , i understand there equally big markets in

What's the size of the market in terms of square metres or square kilometres?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by FJCRUISER: 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
once it has been cleaned of it's filth n robberies then the question can be represented pls. let's stop deceiving ourselves
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2012
all these questions pukkah
forgerrit!
dats not how we operate on this thread
just take it
it is so
it is even written in the bible
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 2:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pukkah:

How many large trading companies or local corporates are there and what is their average annual turnover? What is the balance sheet size of the top bank branches there? What is the IGR from Onitsha?

Who measured the GDP and what approach (income, expenditure or product) was adopted? What year was it measured?

What is the number of stalls and shops there? Can you get this information from the LGAs or trade associations there?

State how diverse please. Give examples. State the second largest market in Nigeria in terms of diversity.

Well, let's see the answer to your first assertion first. We can then work from there.

What's the size of the market in terms of square metres or square kilometres?

@ Pukka am so sorry that i dont have all the time to tackle your questions one afte the other hower i give you some links

This is from the world highly rate Economist magazine

the Link to the online page is this
http://www.economist.com/node/18741606

Most imported goods pass through the remarkable southern city of Onitsha, a thriving commercial hub and the biggest market in Africa. Up to 3m people throng its narrow alleys every day, many of them balancing flat-screen televisions on their heads as if they were buckets filled with water at the village well. The fringes of the city are lined with palatial villas built by successful traders, who decorate them with garish statues of nymphs and angels.

Economist Rates onitsha as the biggest Market in Africa which means the OP was being modest when he said the biggest market in west Africa

also note that over 3 million visitors visit onitsha market on a per day basis .

About the GDP and other facts you can look up CBN site outside Lagos ,Abuja and PH Anambra has the 4th largest number of Banks and als the 3rd Biggest GDP more than N 1.5 B exchange hands on a daily basis in all manner of Busines transaction .
Onitsha is really a Giant wiating to be awakened, if only the Govermnet can clean up the city and urbanise it like the Markets in duabi and London then the Whole of West African Economy will get a reboot from Onitsha Economy
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 2:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
[b][/b]Also Pukka and Aribisala

check this http://www.economist.com/node/21541015

THE shops are stacked six feet high with goods, the streets outside are jammed with customers and salespeople are sweating profusely under the onslaught. But this is not a high street during the Christmas-shopping season in the rich world. It is the Onitsha market in southern Nigeria, every day of the year. a region blighted by corruption, piracy, poverty and disease but also home to millions of highly motivated entrepreneurs and increasingly prosperous consumers.

Many call it the world's biggest. Up to 3m people go there daily to buy rice and soap, computers and construction equipment. It is a hub for traders from the Gulf of Guinea,
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thank you for posting the Economist article.
I have never doubted that Onitsha market is a big market infact a very big one with lots of entrepreneurial people.
That is not in question.The issue is it the biggest in Nigeria and by what measures?
The article you have posted tells us

1."Many call it the biggest in the world"
2."It is home to millions of traders............"
Those are the two statements that address our issues here.
Curiously no photographs are provided.
are those "many" who say this in Onitsha,Kano or Lagos ?

SURELY SOMEONE HAS PHOTOS OF THIS INFLUENTIAL MARKET

Unfortunately you posted without giving an opinion so you have not really contributed to the dispute and the article is not telling us much that has not been said already.
Is the article a commentary,research or what? Those who are interested can read it and make up their minds

Just for the record The Economist is not an Academic Journal. It is a weekly Magazine,like TIME, that offers News and Commentaries on Politics and Economies Internationally.It is not what one would call objective particularly in its political commentaries though on this issue it has no reason for bias it does not appear to have researched the subject of Onitsha market's size.In fairness Onitsha is not the subject of the article.

I don't recall the exact population but I doubt very much that Onitsha market is home to millions of traders.Millions would suggest at least 2 million traders.It makes one question what the population of Onitsha is and the entire state too. Presumabley about 75% of Anambra people are traders in Onitsha market. Astounding !!
The Infrastructural and logistic challenges of a human traffic of 5 million people daily(traders and buyers) as stated in the article is really mind-boggling.
Moving those people and their goods in and out would be a huge challenge for the very limited number of entry/exit points from Onitsha and would be a challennge even for so-called well Planned Megacities.Truth is that volume of traffic is exaggerated,that is my view.

The article is interesting but it is not research and clearly puts space between itself and the many who make the claim about Onitsha being the largest in the world though I am curious to know whether you the poster subscribe to that view.

At the end of the day It may well be that Onitsha is the largest in the world and I am wrong. All I need is evidence and I will agree.
While many here take it personal I find it quite funny.I have no reason to put Onitsha down as some seem to think. My interest is purely academic. I too am interested in knowing not just the biggest but 2nd 3rd etc
so just like we know how a football league is won we need to know how such rankings are determined not just going by the claims of "MANY"
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 4:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
kettykin:

@ Pukka am so sorry that i dont have all the time to tackle your questions one afte the other hower i give you some links

This is from the world highly rate Economist magazine

the Link to the online page is this
http://www.economist.com/node/18741606

Most imported goods pass through the remarkable southern city of Onitsha, a thriving commercial hub and the biggest market in Africa. Up to 3m people throng its narrow alleys every day, many of them balancing flat-screen televisions on their heads as if they were buckets filled with water at the village well. The fringes of the city are lined with palatial villas built by successful traders, who decorate them with garish statues of nymphs and angels.

Economist Rates onitsha as the biggest Market in Africa which means the OP was being modest when he said the biggest market in west Africa

also note that over 3 million visitors visit onitsha market on a per day basis .

About the GDP and other facts you can look up CBN site outside Lagos ,Abuja and PH Anambra has the 4th largest number of Banks and als the 3rd Biggest GDP more than N 1.5 B exchange hands on a daily basis in all manner of Busines transaction .
Onitsha is really a Giant wiating to be awakened, if only the Govermnet can clean up the city and urbanise it like the Markets in duabi and London then the Whole of West African Economy will get a reboot from Onitsha Economy

It is always tempting to get carried away when arguing but please take it easy,The Economist is not a "World Highly rate magazine " if indeed such a thing exists. I actually subscribe to it not because of outstanding journalism it is usually biased just like CNN,BBC and others but the writing style is edgy and enthralling. It is not in a better position to pronounce on this that the Punch or Vanguard.Leave the Colo mentality aside!
I am sorry sir the economist tells us in another article that "MANY SAY SO" in short it is the stuff of legends and very clear that what is implied is "REPUTEDLY" ;that is the key word
The Economist does not and cannot take responsibility for the claim without stating how it came to that conclusion.
The Economist has not done any research.To say It "RATES" is just misleading.The Economist is merely echoing what is said by many people.I grew up in the east and this sentiment was being echoed in the 70s so it is not a new thing.One day someone wakes up and says where is the evidence and he is a heretic.
So questioning ancient myths is not new. Google Largest Open-air market in Africa you will come up with several lists.None of those lists tell us their criteria so if you selectively choose the Economist one article it is disingenuous really
Judging from the obvious determination to establish this claim,I expect to see an article in wikipedia soon telling us how huge Onitsha market is
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 11:40am On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0:

It is always tempting to get carried away when arguing but please take it easy,The Economist is not a "World Highly rate magazine " if indeed such a thing exists. I actually subscribe to it not because of outstanding journalism it is usually biased just like CNN,BBC and others but the writing style is edgy and enthralling. It is not in a better position to pronounce on this that the Punch or Vanguard.Leave the Colo mentality aside!
I am sorry sir the economist tells us in another article that "MANY SAY SO" in short it is the stuff of legends and very clear that what is implied is "REPUTEDLY" ;that is the key word
The Economist does not and cannot take responsibility for the claim without stating how it came to that conclusion.
The Economist has not done any research.To say It "RATES" is just misleading.The Economist is merely echoing what is said by many people.I grew up in the east and this sentiment was being echoed in the 70s so it is not a new thing.One day someone wakes up and says where is the evidence and he is a heretic.
So questioning ancient myths is not new. Google Largest Open-air market in Africa you will come up with several lists.None of those lists tell us their criteria so if you selectively choose the Economist one article it is disingenuous really
Judging from the obvious determination to establish this claim,I expect to see an article in wikipedia soon telling us how huge Onitsha market is

Well if Econonmist does not convince you what other fact would convince infromation from Nigerian population Commission,NTA or Radio Nigeria
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:20pm On Aug 01, 2012
kettykin:

Well if Econonmist does not convince you what other fact would convince infromation from Nigerian population Commission,NTA or Radio Nigeria
It is not a case of the Economist convincing me.The Economist does not categorically make this claim. Present what the Economist said TOTALLY not IN PART
It repeats or echoes "POPULAR WISDOM" like X million Nigerians lives on less than $1.00 a day.I read two different Economist articles and the more recent one says "Many" say so.What does that mean? to me it means it is a widely held belief which the ECONOMIST are neutral on.
Why not use Google and see what you find.
Since when did the Economist become a source of FACTS about Nigeria?.
I would belive the NTA over the ECONOMIST yes! They are on ground and we can ask them the source of data.It is an Unfortunate problem to believe Oyinbo know more than us particularly our own affairs. Having said that let us not misrepresent the Economist .
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by CHANCEMAN: 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2012
grin grin grin grin ;DKettykin thanks for your submission as for Mr.Aribisala he is just a fool i guess until pm news or tribune reports this before he will believe thank God the magazine na international one if not he will say it is biased.Mumu like you
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 2:46pm On Aug 01, 2012
CHANCEMAN: grin grin grin grin ;DKettykin thanks for your submission as for Mr.Aribisala he is just a fool i guess until pm news or tribune reports this before he will believe thank God the magazine na international one if not he will say it is biased.Mumu like you
Ako Oghelli!
nnegi wu akwuna
Two fools met in one bush copulated and produced you after many centuries of other fools doing the same thing leading to their birth.Do not waste time before continuing tradition.As we know fools have a way of straying in front of fast moving vehicles a fate that will soon befall you.So be fruitful and produce more of your kind.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0:
It is not a case of the Economist convincing me.The Economist does not categorically make this claim. Present what the Economist said TOTALLY not IN PART
It repeats or echoes "POPULAR WISDOM" like X million Nigerians lives on less than $1.00 a day.I read two different Economist articles and the more recent one says "Many" say so.What does that mean? to me it means it is a widely held belief which the ECONOMIST are neutral on.
Why not use Google and see what you find.
I would belive the NTA over the ECONOMIST yes! They are on ground and we can ask them the source of data.It is an Unfortunate problem to believe Oyinbo know more than us particularly our own affairs. Having said that let us not misrepresent the Economist .

Here is something about the Economist

The Economist is a Group with an Intelligence Unit within the Group see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economist_Intelligence_Unit

Through research and analysis, EIU offers forecasting and advisory services to its clients. It provides country, industry and management analysis worldwide and incorporates the former Business International Corporation, a U.K. company acquired by the parent organization in 1986. It is particularly well known for its monthly country reports, five-year country economic forecasts, country risk service reports, and industry reports. The company also specialises in tailored research for companies that require analysis for particular markets or business sectors. 2006 marked the 60th anniversary of the Economist Intelligence Unit's inception.

The Economist Intelligence Unit also produces regular reports on the "liveability", and cost of living, of the world's major cities, which receive wide coverage in international news sources. The Economist Intelligence Unit's Quality-of-Life Index is another noted report.

Its current Editorial Director & Chief Economist is Robin Bew.

Also from the Economist
The Economist claims that it "is not a chronicle of economics."[6] Rather, it aims "to take part in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress."[7] It takes an editorial stance which is supportive of free trade, globalisation, free immigration and some socially liberal causes. It targets highly educated readers and claims an audience containing many influential executives and policy-makers.[8]

I believe the Economist even though a UK Multinational will be more Objective and principled on its reportage about Onitsha than a Loacl TV,Radio or Government Parastal whose Reportage will be highly influenced by its CEO the supervising Minister and the Ruling Party.

Also Books like the famous "This house has fallen" written by a Foreigner with vast african experience

This is also from a Local newspaper http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/25183-%E2%80%98onitsha-biggest-market-worldwide%E2%80%99.html
owned by Tinubu

An American has this to say
THE Onitsha Market in Anambra State has been described as the busiest and biggest market in the world by an American firm.
The representatives of Carlton Company, who were in the city to interact with their customers, spoke yesterday.

Leader of the team, Geoff Peters, addressed reporters in Onitsha shortly after an interaction with their customers in the market.
Peters said Onitsha had remained the company’s greatest customer in Africa, adding that the company was satisfied with the level of awareness on the need for genuine and quality products.

“We are here with our business partner, SOKKA International, who is the Carlton Distributor in West Africa. We are proud of our association with them and are happy to be able to see that markets of Nigeria are taking genuine products of our company. We are very strict in trying to stop imitation and fake products in Carlton brands,” he said

This International Magazine also colloborates

http://www.tnj.com/news/african-and-caribbean/hope-economic-growth-rises-continent-africa

In southern Nigeria lays the bulging shops of the Onitsha market. Known as the world's biggest market, the shops are not empty.

This is from Globim http://globim.com/onitsha.html The Monorail company

Onitsha City in Anambra State is the 5th fastest growing city in the world. It is the biggest market in West Africa, the economic nerve center of Nigeria and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria (UN Habitat, 2009). Due to its rapid pace of growth and its projected growth rate, it is experiencing tremendous transportation challenges.

Well If you still are not Convinced with these facts , you can bring out facts to support your vies
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 4:02pm On Aug 01, 2012
Please let us not be childish there are hundreds of claims on the internet of Largest market in the world or Africa.NONE of them tell us HOW they arrived at this conclusion. What you have done is pick one that says what you like and try and promote that . iMy issue is simple it is only when we know the how that we can discuss valid or Not.
You cannot talk of largest without 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th and by what criteria it is not occultic activity.Tell us THE TOP 10 MARKETS in ranked order

I don't know by what criteria the Economist is a "multinational" but let us accept that
I am sorry you claim that Multinationals are better associated with truth is funny
are we talking about Shell in Ogoniland
or Pfizer in Kano or the american company in Bhopal .
Or tobacco companies saying smoking not addictive
or Walmart or what?
That mentality is funny.
Multinationals are more associated with money and are often very unscrupulous.

Your persistence with this idea that It is the VIEW of the Economist that Onitsha market is the biggest is deceitful or misguided,IT IS NOT .
This is what i read "It is the Onitsha market in southern Nigeria, . Many call it the world's biggest."
Who are these "MANY"?
Even if it were we do not know how this came about

I don't know why you keep referring to Americans ,have you ever been out of Nigeria? Americans are human and have a very superficial knowledge of things outside America.Did not D.Rumsfeld claim Sadaam Hussein was getting Uranium from Nigeria.
Did not this same Economist report it as Gospel before the war .

Please Leave all that yarn about multinationals and Americans and produce some real data not anecdotes

According to your quote Onitsha is the "Economic Nerve centre of Nigeria" What does this mean? Based on that Anambra state should have the highest Internally generated revenue but this is very far from so generating less than Edo state and not up to 5% Lagos state. NERVE CENTRE INDEED
Who is kidding who

The reality is all round Abia state is more of a Nerve centre generating at least twice as much IGR than Anambra
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by kettykin: 10:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0: Please let us not be childish there are hundreds of claims on the internet of Largest market in the world or Africa.NONE of them tell us HOW they arrived at this conclusion. What you have done is pick one that says what you like and try and promote that . iMy issue is simple it is only when we know the how that we can discuss valid or Not.
You cannot talk of largest without 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th and by what criteria it is not occultic activity.Tell us THE TOP 10 MARKETS in ranked order

I don't know by what criteria the Economist is a "multinational" but let us accept that
I am sorry you claim that Multinationals are better associated with truth is funny
are we talking about Shell in Ogoniland
or Pfizer in Kano or the american company in Bhopal .
Or tobacco companies saying smoking not addictive
or Walmart or what?
That mentality is funny.

Multinationals are more associated with money and are often very unscrupulous.

Your persistence with this idea that It is the VIEW of the Economist that Onitsha market is the biggest is deceitful or misguided,IT IS NOT .
This is what i read "It is the Onitsha market in southern Nigeria, . Many call it the world's biggest."
Who are these "MANY"?
Even if it were we do not know how this came about

I don't know why you keep referring to Americans ,have you ever been out of Nigeria? Americans are human and have a very superficial knowledge of things outside America.Did not D.Rumsfeld claim Sadaam Hussein was getting Uranium from Nigeria.
Did not this same Economist report it as Gospel before the war .

Please Leave all that yarn about multinationals and Americans and produce some real data not anecdotes

According to your quote Onitsha is the "Economic Nerve centre of Nigeria" What does this mean? Based on that Anambra state should have the highest Internally generated revenue but this is very far from so generating less than Edo state and not up to 5% Lagos state. NERVE CENTRE INDEED
Who is kidding who

The reality is all round Abia state is more of a Nerve centre generating at least twice as much IGR than Anambra

I am sorry if my reply is coming belated

I quoted An American investor and and a UK Economic Intelligence Outfit infact A Nigerian Newspapers owned by Tinubu Quoted the American

Abia state is probably Generating more Revenue to the Federal Government because of its status as an oil producing state and having an industrial Hub in Aba with many foreign and local factories churning out goods and services and paying their taxes, that still does not in any way disprove Onitsha as the biggest Market in the West Africa or in the World . A market and an industrial Hub are 2 different things

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 10:22pm On Aug 01, 2012
kettykin:

Here is something about the Economist

The Economist is a Group with an Intelligence Unit within the Group see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economist_Intelligence_Unit

Through research and analysis, EIU offers forecasting and advisory services to its clients. It provides country, industry and management analysis worldwide and incorporates the former Business International Corporation, a U.K. company acquired by the parent organization in 1986. It is particularly well known for its monthly country reports, five-year country economic forecasts, country risk service reports, and industry reports. The company also specialises in tailored research for companies that require analysis for particular markets or business sectors. 2006 marked the 60th anniversary of the Economist Intelligence Unit's inception.

The Economist Intelligence Unit also produces regular reports on the "liveability", and cost of living, of the world's major cities, which receive wide coverage in international news sources. The Economist Intelligence Unit's Quality-of-Life Index is another noted report.

Its current Editorial Director & Chief Economist is Robin Bew.

Also from the Economist
The Economist claims that it "is not a chronicle of economics."[6] Rather, it aims "to take part in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress."[7] It takes an editorial stance which is supportive of free trade, globalisation, free immigration and some socially liberal causes. It targets highly educated readers and claims an audience containing many influential executives and policy-makers.[8]

I believe the Economist even though a UK Multinational will be more Objective and principled on its reportage about Onitsha than a Loacl TV,Radio or Government Parastal whose Reportage will be highly influenced by its CEO the supervising Minister and the Ruling Party.

Also Books like the famous "This house has fallen" written by a Foreigner with vast african experience

This is also from a Local newspaper http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/25183-%E2%80%98onitsha-biggest-market-worldwide%E2%80%99.html
owned by Tinubu

An American has this to say
THE Onitsha Market in Anambra State has been described as the busiest and biggest market in the world by an American firm.
The representatives of Carlton Company, who were in the city to interact with their customers, spoke yesterday.

Leader of the team, Geoff Peters, addressed reporters in Onitsha shortly after an interaction with their customers in the market.
Peters said Onitsha had remained the company’s greatest customer in Africa, adding that the company was satisfied with the level of awareness on the need for genuine and quality products.

“We are here with our business partner, SOKKA International, who is the Carlton Distributor in West Africa. We are proud of our association with them and are happy to be able to see that markets of Nigeria are taking genuine products of our company. We are very strict in trying to stop imitation and fake products in Carlton brands,” he said

This International Magazine also colloborates

http://www.tnj.com/news/african-and-caribbean/hope-economic-growth-rises-continent-africa

In southern Nigeria lays the bulging shops of the Onitsha market. Known as the world's biggest market, the shops are not empty.

This is from Globim http://globim.com/onitsha.html The Monorail company

Onitsha City in Anambra State is the 5th fastest growing city in the world. It is the biggest market in West Africa, the economic nerve center of Nigeria and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria (UN Habitat, 2009). Due to its rapid pace of growth and its projected growth rate, it is experiencing tremendous transportation challenges.

Well If you still are not Convinced with these facts , you can bring out facts to support your vies
nice one,let the mugu continue to gives us jokes
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 1:38am On Aug 02, 2012
Da infamous: nice one,let my mother continue to gives us jokes
cover her nyansh its unsightly
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 1:52am On Aug 02, 2012
kettykin:

I am sorry if my reply is coming belated

I quoted An American investor and and a UK Economic Intelligence Outfit infact A Nigerian Newspapers owned by Tinubu Quoted the American

Abia state is probably Generating more Revenue to the Federal Government because of its status as an oil producing state and having an industrial Hub in Aba with many foreign and local factories churning out goods and services and paying their taxes, that still does not in any way disprove Onitsha as the biggest Market in the West Africa or in the World . A market and an industrial Hub are 2 different things
My aim is not to disprove Onitsha as the biggest but RATHER TO PROVE IT. What I can't accept is to claim so without proof Just by Proclamation.Even if Barack Obama says it I will still ask ON WHAT BASIS does he say so.

You are the one that posted a claim that Onitsha is the "NERVE CENTRE OF NIGERIA"
I said internally generated NOT money to the FG.
Please expand your consciousness and stop this an "AMERICAN SAID SO" mentality it is embarassing"
If you Google Largest Open air Market you will come across many names.Those lists do not tell us how or why they claim to their conclusion and so in my opinion,are dubious claims.What is clear is The Largest Market is anyone's guess and no one knows really.By the way Google does not mention Onitsha but that is neither here nor there
Addis Mercato ,Roque Santeiro Market and Karatina are 3 other markets making such claims but when you scratch deeper you cannot find the Basis for these claims this is the same for Onitsha
All we need to know here is what is
1. The total land mass covered by the Onitsha market
2. Some kind of data on the Turnover
3 This same data for the Number 2 and 3 and 4 markets

how can you talk about number 1 without 2 or 3

This data is more useful than this Oyinbo "talk so mentality"
Tell me that "American 419er INVESTOR" has he come back to invest

Ps since when did TINUBU become a source of TRUTH ?? Please do not make me laff
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by RUNSTOEFLGRE: 9:15am On Aug 02, 2012
ABEG OBINNA, STOP HOLDING MY HAND MAKE I TYPE AND FINISH THEM.SEE,YOU ARE A BIG COWARD AND FOOL BY SAYING ANAMBRA HELPED TO DEVELOP MY BEAUTIFUL COAL CITY STATE.DO U HAVE PROVE FOR THAT?GREAT JOB DONE BY MY GOOD GOVERNORS CHIME &CHIMAROKE YOU ARE SAYING ANAMBRA PEOPLE,GOOD ROAD,TRAFFIC SIGNS,STREET LIGHT,SECURITY..CRIME FREE.GOOD BUILDINGS,GOOD UNIVERSITIES,NEAT ENVIRONMENT,GOOD GOVERNANCE,NO BLOOD MONEY INDIGENTS,419NER INDIGENTS,.YOU ARE NOT EVEN ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF BY OPENING UP YOUR DIRTY MOUTH AND SAID SOMETHING LIKE THAT..WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR OWN STATE THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEVELOP IT COS YOU HAVE MISERABLE GOVERNORS?YOU LEAVE YOUR STATE AND DEVELOP ANOTHER PERSON'S STATE.CLAP FOR YOUR SELF,ANUOFFIA.WHAT KIND OF HUMAN BEING ARE YOU?SINCE 1992 CREATED STATE,EVERY STATE HAS DEVELOPED THEIR STATE,WHILE ANAMBRA IS STILL BACKWARD.I COULD REMEMBER VIVIDLY BEFORE THEY CREATED STATE 1992,HOW ANAMBRA HAS MONOPOLIZED EVERY GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS & MARGINALIZING US ...CALLING US WAWA...ANAMBRA PEOPLE ARE VERY WICKED..MORE LIKE YORUBAS.GO AND REPAIR YOUR STATE THAT ARE ALWAYS BE LIKE A GHETTO DESPITE CLAIM THAT YOU ARE THE MOST MILLIONAIRES IN NIGERIA,BEFORE DEVELOPING OUR STATE.SINCE THEY CREATED STATE SINCE 1992,ANAMBRA IS THE WORST &BACKWARD STATE IN THE ENTIRE EAST,WITH USELESS LEADERSHIP EXCEPT NGIGE,WHICH I LOVE SOMUCH FOR SHOWING THEM LIGHT BUT THEY CHOOSE DARKNESS.WHEN I VISITED ANAMBRA STATE EARLY MAY THIS YEAR,I WAS TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED..DIRT LITTER EVERY WHERE,BAD DRAINAGE,BAD ROAD,ARM ROBBERS,KIDNAPPING,RITUALS,GREEDINESS.IT IS THOSE WHO HAVE NOT VISITED ANAMBRA RECENTLY YOU WILL BE FOOLING.I WILL COME UP WITH PICTURES OF ENUGU,OWERRI AND ANAMBRA TO PROVE IT THAT I AM NOT TALKING WHAT I DO NOT KNOW.ANAMBRA SHOULD BE CALLED DARKNESS OF THE NATION,AND NOT LIGHT OF THE NATION ABEG DO NOT INSULT MY COAL CITY STATE AGAIN..I use god beg u..o o o obinna stop telling me its ok because chino1 people have insulted me to my bone marrow

spyder880: Lest anyone see me as being uneccessarily hard on this city, maybe because I am not an Anambra man, well.....

Let me start by expressing my respect for the Anambra people. I have not seen any other group of people in this world that are as hard working and progressive minded like the Anambra man. If not for the enterprising spirit of Anambra people, Enugu will not be as beautiful or built up as it is today. Most Anambra big boys own properties in Enugu, choice properties and prominent locations.

Anambra people have millions of millionairs grin yes that is not a joke. But Anambra, unu ana arazi oke na mpe?

I want a robust Onitsha, a well planned Nnewi and a cool capital in Awka. My people in Anambra deserves better than this!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Afam4eva(m): 9:28am On Aug 02, 2012
RUNS.TOEFL.GRE:
YO ARE A BIG COWARD AND FOOL BY SAYING ANAMBRA HELPED TO DEVELOP MY BEAUTIFUL COAL CITY STATE.DO U HAVE PROVE FOR THAT?YOU ARE NOT EVEN ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF BY OPENING UP YOUR DIRTY MOUTH AND SAID SOMETHING LIKE THAT..WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR OWN STATE THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEVELOP IT?YOU LEAVE YOUR STATE AND DEVELOP ANOTHER PERSON'S STATE..WHAT KIND OF HUMAN BEING ARE YOU?SINCE 1992 THEY CREATED STATE,EVERY STATE HAS DEVELOPED THEIR STATE,WHILE ANAMBRA IS STILL BACKWARD.I COULD REMEMBER VIVIDLY BEFORE THEY CREATED STATE 1992,HOW YOU PEOPLE MONOPOLIZED EVERY GOVERNMENT MARGINALIZING US & PARASTATALS...CALLING US WAWA...ANAMBRA PEOPLE ARE VERY WICKED..MORE LIKE YORUBAS.GO AND REPAIR YOUR STATE THAT ARE ALWAYS BE LIKE A GHETTO DESPITE CLAIM THAT YOU ARE THE MOST MILLIONAIRES IN NIGERIA.ANAMBRA IS THE WORST &BACKWARD STATE STATE IN THE ENTIRE EAST.WHEN VISITED THE PLACE EARLY MAY,I WAS TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED..DIRT LITTER EVERY WHERE,BAD DRAINAGE,BAD ROAD,ARM ROBBERS,KIDNAPPING,RITUALS,GREEDINESS.IT IS THOSE WHO HAVE NOT VISITED ANAMBRA RECENTLY YOU WILL BE FOOLING.ABEG DO NOT INSULT MY COAL CITY STATE AGAIN..I use god beg u

The person you're referring is a bonafide Enugu indegne. Now don't just feel like a f00l??

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Meet The Female Banks CEOs In Nigeria / Coca-cola Mini Depot / Woman Shows Off Her Savings From January To December (Photos,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.