Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,294 members, 7,829,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. (11857 Views)

US To Send Soldiers To Nigeria: New York Times / Nigerian Female Soldier Heads To Mali (pic) / US To Send Soldiers To Tackle Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by citizenisb: 10:51am On Jul 30, 2012
These are all branches of Al Qaeda and we need to do something about them there before they attack us at home. Why do you think the Us flies troops to Afghanistan. Jonathan has learnt his lesson from the fallout from Libya whereby arms from that country is oiling the Boko Haram and all other insurgencies in our sub region.

However we should brace for repercussions from them in our country because of our troop deployment. He should discuss all of this with Hillary Clinton when she comes next month. The battle has come to us folks and we should be prepared for War.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by citizenisb: 11:02am On Jul 30, 2012
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Think of it this way. Since we are having a hard time deciding on whether to deal with the one at home or not, at least make we make sure say reinforcement no possible for these terrorists. The Mali fights are worse than what we have already, that is the way I see it.

u re right bro
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 30, 2012
ekt_bear: A fire is burning down your house, and so your rush to get water for your neighbor's home

Na wa oo
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

shut up oga. if boko haram is so strong as you think, then why are they hiding? why cant they come out and face Nigerian army somewhere in an open space.

@op, but sometimes I wonder why Islam is such a devilish religion.
“I tell you that to
everyone who has, more
shall be given, but from
the one who does not
have, even what he does
have shall be taken away.
But these enemies of
mine, who did not want
me to reign over them,
bring them here and slay
them in my presence.
”(Luke 19:26-27)

“Do not think that I have
come to send peace on
earth. I did not come to
send peace, but a sword. I
am sent to set a man
against his father, a
daughter against her
mother, and a daughter-
in-law against her
mother-in-
law” (Matthew
10:34-35)
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by alaoeri: 11:33am On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

shut up oga. if boko haram is so strong as you think, then why are they hiding? why cant they come out and face Nigerian army somewhere in an open space.

Boko haram are hiding right, so islamic militant group in mali ain't they hiding too or 'll they come out broad day light to engage the soldiers. I don't see any bad thing for sending troops to mali but let's tackle our situation first.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Modula(m): 11:36am On Jul 30, 2012
follish fools, they cant even deal with boko boys they are talking about another militant in another country.next topic please
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Audukaya: 11:42am On Jul 30, 2012
It is not wrong,but did he solve his own problem?or is it because the process will fetch him money?
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by ulimited: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

i relly wonder why islam is a troble religion,contry u fine them d can never b peace dy. Religion of peace in deed
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by ulimited: 12:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

i relly wonder why islam is a troble religion,any contry u fine them d can never b peace dy. Religion of peace in deed
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Bukkyade: 12:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
But seriously, what is it with this Muslims self?
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by 4Play(m): 12:35pm On Jul 30, 2012
The key question is whether deploying troops to Mali to fight the Islamists is in our national interest. In my view, it is. Boko Haram receives training, finance and shelter from Islamists operating in Africa. To allow a country in the West African sub-region to fall easily to these people will pose serious problems for our national security.

Insecurity often spreads like a virus from neighbouring country to neighbouring country. I think this troop deployment is key to securing the sub-region and preventing the creation of terror strongholds. We still need to secure foreign support to fund and provide training for the West-African troops deploying in Mali to lessen the financial burden.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by hydoo(m): 12:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

YES,,,,,,EXACTLY...I WONDER WHY CHIRISTIANITY IS SUCH A SELFISH RELIGION
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by djustice: 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
At bloody last. Jonathan is beginning to wake up and smell the coffee. We need a multi-faceted approach like this to combat the terrorists. A defeat for their friends in Mali will probably cut off one of their crucial supply lines for weapons and funding. Way to go, GEJ.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by 1025: 1:32pm On Jul 30, 2012
HNosegbe: Actually I support the deployment of troops to Mali. Nigeria is a regional power, and as such she has a responsibility to ensure regional security. Insecurity in countries across our borders, if not contained early, is likely to lead to an exodus of refugees to other countries, Nigeria inclusive.

Besides, a sensible government can use such intervention for its advantage e.g by securing better trade deals, access to resources etc. Sensible Western governments do this all the time, why can't we?

is it possible to give ppl what you don't have? nigeria is a troubled water and our president is thinking of giving peace to the ppl of mali. do u think mali is loosing more lives than nigeria on this terrorist matter?
this goes a long way to show how we has no value for our own ppl's lives.
a president who could tell us to be praying and now is planing to send soldiers to mali. why can't he tell malians to pray.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 1:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
HNosegbe: Actually I support the deployment of troops to Mali. Nigeria is a regional power, and as such she has a responsibility to ensure regional security. Insecurity in countries across our borders, if not contained early, is likely to lead to an exodus of refugees to other countries, Nigeria inclusive.

Besides, a sensible government can use such intervention for its advantage e.g by securing better trade deals, access to resources etc. Sensible Western governments do this all the time, why can't we?

brain dead as usual, Nigeria was still a member of ECOWAS when Boko haram invaded us to an extent that the united states govt Ratified them as an official terrorist organization, why did the other members and regional power not come to our aid?

Nigeria spent almost 11yrs in Liberia/sierra leone, today, a Liberian citizen is treated better than an average Nigerian citizen else where.

what trade deals have we secured with Liberia and sierra Leone? i heard they even have diamonds, why are Nigerian companies not the ones mining there?

exactly what mineral interest and trade interest could a hungry mali be to Nigeria?

abeg use your head and quit sucking your thumb.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 1:53pm On Jul 30, 2012

brain dead as usual, Nigeria was still a member of ECOWAS when Boko haram invaded us to an extent that the united states govt Ratified them as an official terrorist organization, why did the other members and regional power not come to our aid?

Nigeria spent almost 11yrs in Liberia/sierra leone, today, a Liberian citizen is treated better than an average Nigerian citizen else where.

what trade deals have we secured with Liberia and sierra Leone? i heard they even have diamonds, why are Nigerian companies not the ones mining there?

exactly what mineral interest and trade interest could a hungry mali be to Nigeria?

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
owobokiri: This is a healthy decision. These guys are tied to Boko and might be the group arming foundamentalist groups across west Africa. To suggest that they should be left alone because we have BH to contend with sounds shortsighted. If they are allowed such a massive permanent base in West Africa, we are totally screwed because there will be no peace since their ultimate aim is to take over as much territory across the continent as possible. The best thing to do is to take mayhem to their doorstep thereby starving other al-qaeda cells in the region of their life support; send large numbers of RUTHLESS soldiers to Mali, with or without the dodgy UNs mandate . These guys in Mali are more deadly than Boko and must be uprooted ASAP.

what happens to strengthening your internal security? terrorist organizations still yearn to terrorize on American soil can they?
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Ayatullah(m): 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
WELL, WE SHOULD NOT FORGET THAT THE MALI ISLAMISTS HAVE GIVEN THEIR WARNING SHOULD NIGERIA DARE SEND SOLDIERS TO NORTHERN MALI............THIS IS A TIME FOR US TO MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS, BUT THEN GEJ IS THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF! MAY ALLAH SAVE US FROM THE CALAMITY GEJ WANTS TO BRING ON US AS A NATION.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by bakila: 2:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
Joke, if not so dumb.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
deleted
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
deleted
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
jp philips:

what happens to strengthening your internal security? terrorist organizations still yearn to terrorize on American soil can they?

What happens? You have about spent in the ballpark of $2 billion in the last 2 or so years on that. I think rather than spend more, we look to getting rid of the incompetent leaders. At the same time, we need to keep fighting the battle to ensure those outside do not move even closer to our borders while we are busy reshuffling leaders, etc.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by MMM2(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Gej pls can u send police 2 boko haram state not army b4 mali
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
jp philips:

It smacks of immaturity on your part if you cannot make your point without resorting to abuse and name-calling. What do u mean by "brain dead as usual"? What part of my post did you not understand? I made it quite clear that terrorist groups tend to work IN CONCERT, and striking at one of them is a good way to weaken the rest, BH inclusive. It makes sense to proactively intervene in Mali so as to, among other things, block the supply of arms, bombs and personnel down south.

For all the references to Liberia and Sierra Leone, they were foreign policy failures by past governments. It doesn't automatically mean that this government will fail as well.

And for the record, I am NOT a fan of Jonathan.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by lordkc5820: 2:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
dis doesn't make any sense..
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
1025:

is it possible to give ppl what you don't have? nigeria is a troubled water and our president is thinking of giving peace to the ppl of mali. do u think mali is loosing more lives than nigeria on this terrorist matter?
this goes a long way to show how we has no value for our own ppl's lives.
a president who could tell us to be praying and now is planing to send soldiers to mali. why can't he tell malians to pray.

This has nothing to do with the president; I'm talking about taking proactive steps to prevent a terrorist group from taking power in country so close to our borders. NO serious country will fold its arms and allow such a group to prevail; if it does it will compromise its own security.

I repeat: IT IS IN NIGERIA'S GEO-POLITICAL INTEREST TO ENSURE STABILITY IN THE WEST AFRICAN REGION. In fact, it is also her responsibility.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
We need to let go of this mentality that dealing with a regional security threat and dealing with BH at home are two mutually exclusive actions. They are more related than we think.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by naptu2: 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
Imagine if the islamists capture Bamako and the assets of the Malian government (planes, tanks, etc)? Do you think they'll just relax and joke around, or do you think they'll take the "jihad" further?

There were failures in Liberia and Sierra Leone, no doubt, but that's not a reason not to intervene in Mali; it's a reason to do it better this time.

Why didn't Ecomog intervene in Nigeria? Pride! That's the simple answer. The President of Niger has called for Ecomog intervention in Nigeria and Niger, but the Nigerian authorities do not like that idea.

When your neighbour's house is on fire, you had better help him put out the conflagration, or your house is next.

We saw how armed robberies increased in the south west of Nigeria (early 1990s) because of arms and ammunition from Sierra Leone and Liberia. Where was Fodday Sankoh arrested? In Freetown? Nope! In Abuja.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by enioladeran: 2:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
angryGEJ must be stu..d to be doing that. Why can't he clean the mess in is own land befor going to another. s..k man.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by realsammie(m): 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
BIG BROTHER NIGERIA
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by jpphilips(m): 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
uzoma123: Why is it dat issue abt govt policy attract uninformed comments frm useless opposition parties nd ppl? Dnt u ppl knw dat BH has base in Countries like Mali. D govt is trying 2 deal with external wing of BH. These opposition fools shld get demselves updated abt governance b4 running to d press.

perhaps you should take a while to understand the opposition better.

Upon the 900bn budgeted for the military which half is assumed to have been spent,Jonathan could not publish a simple proof that BH has Malian tentacles, all we base our actions are mere anecdotes not facts.

there are countries far bigger than Nigeria in military might that have been benefiting from the malian state before Jonathan grew p.u.b.ic. hairs, why is Nigeria in a hurry?

we are aware America is in Afghanistan to match alquaeda head on, do we have what it takes to match those Islamic extremists head on? do you have the least idea what America is using to tackle alqueda?
our soldiers are human beings and thinking you can take war to the enemy territory with petty AKs is a wishful thinking.

Nigeria is simply not capable for international counter terrorism for the following reasons.

1 we don't have the sophisticated apparatchik to venture into such quest, America deploys one strategic combat ready drone, and surveillance with loads of F15s in almost all provinces of iraq and afghanistan, any thing short of this is putting the lives of the soldiers at a great risk. and the result from Liberia has attested to the doggedness of gorilla war fare

i believe a lot of you do not know how many soldiers Abacha buried during the liberia- sierra leone conflict most of the deaths were avoidable with the right technology but of course we are always incapacitated.

2 the united states is sending their all out assault on Alquaeda in iraq alone at a high price of 12bn usd monthly, does Nigeria have such economic might? at a time our economy has not recovered from Sanusi and iweala's experiments?

Nigeria at home has failed to design a road map to secure our internal security, that is why we are scared of refugees.

if it gets to that no doubt, The Nigerian govt will do what other govts have done and are still doing in raising funds for sustaining refugees.

other west African countries like Ghana and ivory coat et france should understand that Nigeria is indisposed at the moment with the burden of boko haram and very weak Naira.

what did we gain from other peace keeping efforts? if i remember vividly, it was this same ECOWAS that have denied Nigeria various positions on insecurity grounds and has never for once donated a pin to aid Nigeria's effort on terrorism?

did Ghana or Niger republic fear for once that the refugee spill will get to respective country from Northern Nigeria? why cant these troops be commited to securing our borders than this peace keeping jamboree?

i know jona is not smart but this is not rocket science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Buhari, The Friend Of The Poor" - Festus Keyamo Hails President Buhari / Two Feared Dead In Awgbu, Anambra Community Attack / Ex-militants Allege Exclusion From NNPCL Contracts, Threaten Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.