Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! (11815 Views)

I abandoned my children for Libya trip – Victim (Picture) / Daylight Robbery In Makurdi, Residents Terrified (Photos) / Okada Accident Claims Two Lives In Makurdi Few Hours To New Year (GRAPHICS PIC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by onomeasike: 3:09am On Jul 30, 2012
Parents sell children for N4,000 in Makurdi
Written by Yekini Jimoh, Lokoja Sunday, 29 July 2012

REPORTS have indicated that parents in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, were involved in the sale of their children to human traffickers at the sum of N4,000 or N5,000 per ward.

This was revealed when the Quick Response Group Team of the Nigerian Army in Lokoja arrested one human trafficking suspect, Mr. Sunday Agbo, from Benue state.

Parading the suspect to newsmen on Friday at the Army Headquarters, the Commandant of Army Record, Major General Alphonso Chukwu said the suspect was arrested alongside 10 children, both male and female, on July 26 by his Quick Response Group Team, along Itobe-Ajaokuta road.

According to him, the suspect who hails from Obi Local Government Council of Benue State was arrested in a ash colour Toyota Camry car with the registration number CW 322 LSD with 10 children, comprising of six males and four females between the ages of seven and 19 heading to Lagos state.

He stated that when the suspect was confronted by his men, he said that the children belonged to him, but after further interrogation, he confessed that they were handed over to him by his agent, one Madam Janet Akpa, from the same village and that he was asked to deliver them to another agent in Lagos.

The Army Commandant stressed that investigations revealed that Agbo had been trafficking children by discussing with the parents and offering a mere sum of N4,000 or N5,000 naira under the pretext of getting them jobs in Lagos as househelps.

The Army Commandant who enjoined parents to be vigilant so as not to fall prey of the human traffickers, stressed that the children were most vulnerable to ritualists.

One of the children, Blessing Jacob, who said she had just finished her promotional examination to SSS 2 said she was told to follow the suspect to Lagos for her holiday where she would work for a while.

While still waiting for further details, the suspect received a text message from the agent in Lagos that one of the children he earlier brought to Lagos had absconded from the house.

While speaking with the suspect, he disclosed to Sunday Tribune that this was not his first time, adding that parents of the children were given a token amount of money ranging from N4000 to N5000 for each of the children

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/news/8047-parents-sell-children-for-n4000-in-makurdi
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by strangest(m): 9:30am On Jul 30, 2012
This is really sad. Are we back to the slave trade era?
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Ramcie(f): 9:32am On Jul 30, 2012
Oma se o! cry

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by slimdiggi: 9:32am On Jul 30, 2012
Na wa o! Poverty ehn...i cant blame them,they breed like pigs around that area angry

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Freiburger(m): 9:34am On Jul 30, 2012
na waooo.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by miteolu(m): 9:34am On Jul 30, 2012
Destiny & future sold
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 30, 2012
Good for them. That money couldn't last me a day.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Chidex2442(m): 9:40am On Jul 30, 2012
It's bad! So such things still exist
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by CHIDIEJIOGU: 9:41am On Jul 30, 2012
KUNTA KUNTE!GAWD,WHAT A WASTE.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by ariyebaba(m): 9:43am On Jul 30, 2012
Yeah ! I watched it on NTA last nite.

SLAVERY !!!
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by jamp: 9:43am On Jul 30, 2012
this is not new. even those in authority have house helps and you pay little to get them.what happens is that an agent pay small amount to their parents and every month you pay the agent instead of the house help. sometimes the agent share the money with the house help.

go to most houses in Abuja and u will see small girls as house helps, where are they from? nobody will question those in authority about this.

God bless Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Biggyd2: 9:43am On Jul 30, 2012
Poverty is a big disease indeed. But, what will N5,000 do for them? Is it so easy for them to produce these children that they go about selling their children like toys? It is a wicked world really. There is no excuse for this.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Sijo01(f): 9:44am On Jul 30, 2012
Ignorant of the highest order.....what a piri!
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by TBD(m): 9:44am On Jul 30, 2012
This is very unfortunate for a parent to take his/her children away just because of money.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 30, 2012
This is very sad, didn't a mum/lady/girl bear this children for 9 month, what of the pain experience during childbirth, am not a lady but i feel very sorry for them. When for God sake did human being became Dog and Goat that pple now sell?. Only God will help us

2 Likes

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by basher(m): 9:58am On Jul 30, 2012
I'm shocked at the almost sympathetic posts I’m reading here! Posts like - "Na wa o! Poverty ehn...i cant blame them,they breed like pigs around that area" & "Poverty is a big disease indeed. But, what will N5,000 do for them?".

If it were happening somewhere in the south east of south west, what we would have been reading here would have been - "yoruba/igbo people are very greedy and would do anything for money"; "yoruba/igbo people are very evil"; "worst tribe in the world" etc..

5 Likes

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 30, 2012
The caption of this thread is wrong. I think its Child Trafficking/ Modern Day Slavery. I am sure the 4000 is upfront salaries for those kids. Say 'NO' to child Trafficking.....

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Biggyd2: 10:02am On Jul 30, 2012
Hahahaha grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by GATomcruise: 10:09am On Jul 30, 2012
People are so wicked
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by kennethromanus: 10:10am On Jul 30, 2012
nna nawa o..dis parents need not 2 live am tellin u..na 2 jst distance dem 4rm by hangin dem.. wallahi
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by slimdiggi: 10:11am On Jul 30, 2012
basher: I'm shocked at the almost sympathetic posts I’m reading here! Posts like - "Na wa o! Poverty ehn...i cant blame them,they breed like pigs around that area" & "Poverty is a big disease indeed. But, what will N5,000 do for them?".

If it were happening somewhere in the south east of south west, what we would have been reading here would have been - "yoruba/igbo people are very greedy and would do anything for money"; "yoruba/igbo people are very evil"; "worst tribe in the world" etc..

you may be right...or wrong, the level of poverty they have there can NEVER be compared to the one down south because no matter how desperately hungry a yoruba or igbo person is they would rather steal than to sell their child for 4OOO haba! Bruv leave story, poverty and their level of promiscuity is high
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Aifey(m): 10:11am On Jul 30, 2012
U can but d blame on poverty, bad economy n corupion. Nigerians sell their kidney in india evryday 4a token. Those kids where onces used 4a drug text by a US based phamazetical company "pryzer" in kano. Wht did our govt. Do. They are all old stories.povety, bad economy, coruption ar d root curses of all vices in every society.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Ortis: 10:17am On Jul 30, 2012
I blame it on d politicians wo hav failed in der duty of providing beta live 4 citizens instead dy send it 2 der wasted kids in abroad 2 pop it out on champagne in nite clubs nd strip house.....if d economy i gud i dnt tink it wuld hav reached dis extent....5000,wat wil it do 4 me..ntin, anywai joblex n poor peepz giv demselves job by havin sex nd breeding kids lyk mosquito....PITY
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by sexyglow(f): 10:17am On Jul 30, 2012
miteolu: Destiny & future sold
My Brother no be small thing.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by wine4dguy: 10:24am On Jul 30, 2012
Saddening!
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 30, 2012
What? N4,000? I just can't believe it. . .Worse than anything I can imagine.

Do the mothers consent to this? N4,000 is really worth the NINE months?

*SMH

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by inereunwa1(m): 10:29am On Jul 30, 2012
99% problem in this country is caused by our curropt politicians from the three tiers of govt!.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Nezan(m): 10:34am On Jul 30, 2012
slimdiggi: you may be right...or wrong, the level of poverty they have there can NEVER be compared to the one down south because no matter how desperately hungry a yoruba or igbo person is they would rather steal than to sell their child for 4OOO haba! Bruv leave story, poverty and their level of promiscuity is high

Must you show your level of naivity here? This is a case of child trafficking and you dont need to be told where the highest culprits of this crime are.
Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Daresh(f): 10:35am On Jul 30, 2012
Why have children when you cannot care for them? Na wah o!

2 Likes

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by bobokelly(m): 10:36am On Jul 30, 2012
What a calamity?. This is not poverty, these parents are under spell, how can you nurse a child from pregnancy to the of 5yrs to 20yrs only to be soldl the child for N4000 or N5000, this is absolutely madness. Crazy, insane.

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by Krucifax(m): 10:36am On Jul 30, 2012
Most Nigerian households have had a maid/house-help at one time or the other. Most of those arrangements include procuring the services of the boy/girl in return for monetary payments to the parents/guardians. In some instances the maid/house-help will have their education funded by the people procuring his/her service. This is not unusual in Nigeria,matter of fact it is a widely used practice.

However there are shortcomings is this arrangements as the problem of abuse of the maid/house-help is quite prevalent. Now all of this should be differentiated from "human trafficking" which is another kettle of fish entirely.
I for one feel sympathy for the guardians/parents as in most instances they are in crippling poverty,uneducated,unbelievably naive.You will find that in most cases they believe their wards/children are going to find a better life.They hope their wards/children will acquire trade skills and/or education in addition to the money they are receiving for them. So they hire their wards/children out.

I think the headline is misleading,as if there is indeed anyone selling their wards/children for N4000 chances are it is a very tiny minority who of course should face the law.
Chances are the "traffickers" have lied to both parent and child, the government and local services and communities themselves should get involved and check the whole system in it's entirety. Lest we forget that statistically speaking a greater percentage of Nigerians are both poor and poorly educated. And it's easy for the rest of us to sit in our middle class homes and pass judgement. N4000 would not cover the cost of drinks on a night out for some of us Nigerians but for the rest of us Nigerians it is enough for us to give our child away to a stranger,what does that say about inequality?

onomeasike:

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/news/8047-parents-sell-children-for-n4000-in-makurdi

1 Like

Re: Parents Sell Children For N4,000 In Makurdi! by gbomojomo(m): 10:49am On Jul 30, 2012
Krucifax: Most Nigerian households have had a maid/house-help at one time or the other. Most of those arrangements include procuring the services of the boy/girl in return for monetary payments to the parents/guardians. In some instances the maid/house-help will have their education funded by the people procuring his/her service. This is not unusual in Nigeria,matter of fact it is a widely used practice.

However there are shortcomings is this arrangements as the problem of abuse of the maid/house-help is quite prevalent. Now all of this should be differentiated from "human trafficking" which is another kettle of fish entirely.
I for one feel sympathy for the guardians/parents as in most instances they are in crippling poverty,uneducated,unbelievably naive.You will find that in most cases they believe their wards/children are going to find a better life.They hope their wards/children will acquire trade skills and/or education in addition to the money they are receiving for them. So they hire their wards/children out.

I think the headline is misleading,as if there is indeed anyone selling their wards/children for N4000 chances are it is a very tiny minority who of course should face the law.
Chances are the "traffickers" have lied to both parent and child, the government and local services and communities themselves should get involved and check the whole system in it's entirety. Lest we forget that statistically speaking a greater percentage of Nigerians are both poor and poorly educated. And it's easy for the rest of us to sit in our middle class homes and pass judgement. N4000 would not cover the cost of drinks on a night out for some of us Nigerians but for the rest of us Nigerians it is enough for us to give our child away to a stranger,what does that say about inequality?

u ve said it all

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policeman Molests Woman In Presence Of Baby / Police Arrest Mother And Daughter For Killing Grandchild / Naijahost.com.ng Aircrew/Airhost An Organized Crime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.