Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,368 members, 7,815,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 (7758 Views)

Refineries Operated At 10% Capacity In August, Recorded N31.7bn Loss / Lagos Built 10.4MW Power Plant, To Be Inaugurated In August. / GEJ & Clinton To Attend Eko Atlantic Opening Tommorow ,Expect Road Closures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by MurphyT1: 11:08am On Jul 30, 2012
United States Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, is billed to visit Nigeria early next month, THISDAY has learnt.

Though the visit has not been officially announced by the US government, sources at the State Department said preparations were in top gear for the Secretary of State to be in Abuja early August on a one-day visit.

"We are still harmonising details of the visit with the Government of Nigeria, but it will be in early August," a source said.

It was learnt that Nigerian Ambassador, Professor Adebowale Adefuye, who would begin his annual leave early August, has held several meetings with officials of the US government on the planned visit.

Though THISDAY could not confirm the exact date of the planned visit at the time of going to press, it was learnt from sources at the State Department that Clinton's itinerary includes meeting with top Nigerian officials in Abuja.

THISDAY further gathered that while in Abuja, Clinton may also use the opportunity of her visit to announce some major gains of the Nigeria, US Binational Commission (BNC).
It was Clinton who signed the Bi-national Commission Agreement with the then Secretary to the Federal Government, Ahmed Yayale, at the State Department, Washington DC in April of 2010

The BNC initially had four working groups - good governance, transparency and integrity; energy and investment; food security and agriculture; Niger Delta and regional security co-operation.

Early this year, the Niger Delta and regional security component was split into two on US suggestion, thereby bringing the components to five.

Since 2010 when the agreement was signed, series of highlevel meetings had been held both in Nigeria and in US, some of the gains of which would be highlighted during her visit.

There had also been several investors' fora on power and agriculture, including an upcoming forum on infrastructure.

Some of the gains of the various high level meetings and investors' fora include increased interest of American investors in Nigeria's non-oil sector; US Ex-Im Bank $1.5 billion guarantee for investment in Nigeria's power sector; and increased assistance to Nigerian security agencies to effectively tackle internal security challenges, and donation of a warship to Nigerian Navy to tackle piracy and armed banditry in the Niger Delta and the Gulf of Guinea.

Next month's visit, would be coming three years after Clinton made a similar trip to Nigeria and barely two months after the largest ever meeting of the Nigeria, US BNC was held in Washington DC.

During her visit in August 2009, Clinton had urged Nigeria to embrace broad political reform and ease tensions that had led to sectarian violence and disrupted oil production in the Niger Delta.

Clinton had also during that visit, which included stops in six other African countries, said corruption had undermined the legitimacy of Nigeria's government, and that a culture of corruption and incompetence had hindered Nigeria's ability to grow as an economic power.

She had cited a World Bank report that noted that Nigeria had lost more than $300 billion to corruption and mismanagement over the last three decades.
THISDAY could however not confirm whether her upcoming visit would include stops in other African countries, as was the case in 2009.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/hillary-clinton-to-visit-nigeria-next-month/121073/
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by BeraBera(f): 11:45am On Jul 30, 2012
She should be given adequate security o! Nothing bad should happen to her here in Naija o as it would really be embarrassing. By the way, the part of the story that interests me is this:
THISDAY further gathered that while in Abuja, Clinton may also use the opportunity of her visit to announce some major gains of the Nigeria, US Binational Commission (BNC).
It was Clinton who signed the Bi-national Commission Agreement with the then Secretary to the Federal Government, Ahmed Yayale, at the State Department, Washington DC in April of 2010.
The BNC initially had four working groups - good governance, transparency and integrity; energy and investment; food security and agriculture; Niger Delta and regional security co-operation.
I can't wait to see
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by MurphyT1: 11:48am On Jul 30, 2012
wot abt it, ur hightlighted text
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by miteolu(m): 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2012
This Clinton should visit Jos & Borno state
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Series22(m): 12:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
And afta d meeting d price of garri go come down 4 market abi? Rubbish! Front page pls
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by ariyebaba(m): 12:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
Will her visit change d mind of our corrupt politicians and their off springs ?

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by LordBabs(m): 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ok
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Booty4me: 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
Till then, Boko boiz Are waitin
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
I smell something....something Major will happen once she departs.

Those International hawks don't go to coffee-party in any country facing security challenges like we presently do in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
People should try to make the case of the incessant terrorist attacks in the North known during her visit. There is no time wasted in complaining to her of the bombings before the country falls into the same state as Mali. The Northern part of the country has been plunged into terrorist insurgency by Boko Haram and the culprits must be fished out!
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Will she come to blast our corrupt leaders, like she did the last time out?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by gator666: 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
My fellow Nigerians, beware of Mrs Clinton, pray to God... she could decide to bring the democracy to Nigeria, the way she did to Iraq, Libya etc.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
ilugunboy: I smell something....something Major will happen once she departs.

Those International hawks don't go to coffee-party in any country facing security challenges like we presently do in Nigeria.
Must you always smell everything? Please, get your nose checked. You might be having a problem with it, metaphorically speaking.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by UncleJJ(m): 12:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
What do they want here? I thought Ghana undecidedwas better than My country.

Or have they realised the oil they found in Gheneh is childs play compared to our own.

America na correct ashewo.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Chanchit: 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
This woman don escape murder in Israel last week, now she's heading to nigeria.... Na stubborn fly dey follow dead body enter grave o....!
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by JUO(m): 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
so what, make i no go work or what?
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by DANILSA(m): 12:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
Hope something gud is coming
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by ypzilanti: 12:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
All security will be handled by the United States SSS. Those guys don't kid around.

When US top 4 dignitaries visit any undeveloped country, you have to virtually handover the route the VIP will ply to US security.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Wisdytech(m): 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
INTERESTING TORY TO HEAR! BUT MAK SHE BRING ME DOLLARZ O
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Shaw007(m): 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
miteolu: This Clinton should visit Jos & Borno state
ha!! U must be one of d top officials of d boko haramites. . .No sir.that cannot happen
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Mekanze: 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
cheesy lets wait and see wat her visite wil bring 2 us.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Shaw007(m): 12:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
ilugunboy: I smell something....something Major will happen once she departs.

hmm!! Right on point man. . .tHat is so true. . .but i hope it'll be sometin Big and GOod
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Mekanze: 12:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
Shaw007: ha!! U must be one of d top officials of d boko haramites. . .No sir.that cannot happen
true talk.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Onyocha: 12:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
nothing good comes from american high ranking visit to any country except exploitation,domination and their usual imperialism.

let us hope after her visit the Naira does not loose value or fuel price go up.whenever they visit Naira loses value or fuel price is increased.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Shaw007(m): 12:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
Chanchit: This woman don escape murder in Israel last week, now she's heading to nigeria.... Na stubborn fly dey follow dead body enter grave o....!
mY br0da i no know seY uNa fih talk am 0!!
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by ypzilanti: 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
UncleJJ: What do they want here? I thought Ghana undecidedwas better than My country.

Or have they realised the oil they found in Gheneh is childs play compared to our own.

You people and this 'oyel' thing. The greatest resource any country has is the people inside it.

Switzerland, Singapore and many others do not have oil, but human capital.

VERY important for the development of any country. USA has 'oyel' but are using the billions generated by Bill Gates and co to buy the 'oyel' in your country, keeping theirs as reserves for the rainy day.

In fact I wish the 'oyel' will dry up and lets use our brains to think of how to generate money.

Norway is not even touching their 'oyel' money. They are running on other sources of income, while saviling the 'oyel' money for future rainy days.

Our people need to be more aware of whats going on in the world. We have many illiterates, and those that even went to school are educated without being enlightened.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
all4naija: Must you always smell everything? Please, get your nose checked. You might be having a problem with it, metaphorically speaking.

Lolzzzz...I don't know how to respond to you...because I don't know if your comment is sarcasm or not.
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Shaw007(m): 12:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
ypzilanti: All security will be handled by the United States SSS. Those guys don't kid around.

When US top 4 dignitaries visit any undeveloped country, you have to virtually handover the route the VIP will ply to US security.
. . .you meant 2 say developin' right?? I mean com'on u cant possibly place Nigeria as equal 2 countries like bOtswana. . .seriously??
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by malali: 12:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
[img]the americans are coming smiley

yesterday two notorious ex presidents made a "joint speech"

today its announced the americans are coming................

the last time the american were here june 12 disappeared

now they are coming again......i wonder who is most likely to disappear smiley

BTW,how is GEJ extend my regards..........
[/img]
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Shaw007(m): 12:50pm On Jul 30, 2012
ypzilanti:

You people and this 'oyel' thing. The greatest resource any country has is the people inside it.

Switzerland, Singapore and many others do not have oil, but human capital.

VERY important for the development of any country. USA has 'oyel' but are using the billions generated by Bill Gates and co to buy the 'oyel' in your country, keeping theirs as reserves for the rainy day.

In fact I wish the 'oyel' will dry up and lets use our brains to think of how to generate money.

Norway is not even touching their 'oyel' money. They are running on other sources of income, while saviling the 'oyel' money for future rainy days.

Our people need to be more aware of whats going on in the world. We have many illiterates, and those that even went to school are educated without being enlightened.
and tHat is jUst it. . .u just posted d exact tin on my mInd
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
me i for like marry dat her daughter , me want oyibo wife o mek una tell am to cari d gal kum. i am HIV free grin
Re: Hillary Clinton To Visit Nigeria In August 2012 by chucky234(m): 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
UncleJJ: What do they want here? I thought Ghana undecidedwas better than My country.

Ignorance is a disease,no wonder the holy Bible says "My people perish for lack of knowledge".
You must be living under mount Everest not to know that Americans have since been stealing our oil with Exxon Mobile and Chevron and don't need Clinton's visit to drill oil in Nigeria.
Ask questions before displaying your daftness in public....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Binds Hold Yoruba Together Is More Than Region / Amaechi: Buhari Creating Jobs With Rail Projects / I Laughed For Good 30 mins. Reading This Tweet By Reno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.