Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out (7540 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Johny Akinyemi: Nigeria's First Canoeist In The Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Afam4eva(m): 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
London – Nigeria’s first-ever Olympic Games competitor in the canoeing event, Jonathan Akinyemi, on Sunday in London crashed out of the competition at his first attempt.

The overseas-based athlete, who was the event’s lowest-ranked entrant at 130 placed 20th in a field of 22 competitors after the first two runs to drop out of the chase for medals.

Akinyemi took part in the men’s kayak single (K1) competition of the canoe slalom event holding at the Lee Valley White Water Centre.

His placing in the heats meant he was not part of the top 15 who qualified for the semi-finals of Aug. 1.

Akinyemi, who has a British mother, took to the water first during the first run and clocked 104.70 seconds to finish 20th, and then 146.95 seconds in the second run to finish 21st.

This, however, still earned him the 20th place finish after the second run, with the 104.70 seconds as his final time, thus finishing 21.21 seconds behind, more than 12 seconds slower than the last qualifier at 15th in the heat.

The heat was won by Germany’s Hannes Aigner who clocked a time of 83.49 seconds in the second run to dislodge Samuel Hernanz of Spain who led from the first run with his first time of 87.07.

Togo’s Benjamin Boukpeti who was a bronze medallist at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 fared better than Akinyemi, as he escaped dropping out of the contest with a time of 90.52 for 10th place.

He had placed 17th with a total time of 95.28 seconds in the first run, but he qualified in 14th place with his second run.(NAN)

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/sport/nigerian-sport/41968-olympics-canoeing-akinyemi-drops-out-in-heats
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Wonderdee(m): 12:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
At least him compete for us instead of britain, thumbs up akinyemi

11 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by otokx(m): 1:05pm On Jul 30, 2012
That is how they all except maybe 1 will crash out eventually and it would be a waste of resources.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by TCD: 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
^^dis one no be compete. He just went there to participate.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by excondido(m): 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
am proud of the bro any which way, best of luck in your endeavors

3 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
Let's commend the guy because this is not a traditional Nigerian sport.

6 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by alaoeri: 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Atleast the guy gö mark attendance register.

3 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by miteolu(m): 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2012
afam4eva: Let's commend the guy because this is not a traditional Nigerian sport.

I told you guy.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by joanana(f): 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
I was angry when i saw it on super sport Bliz this morning angry angry angry angry angry He tried his best and he will do better next Olympics, Thumps up Akinyemi, you made us proud, ko easy jare!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by ZURYZEST(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
well done Akinyemi, you've done well, me dey proud of you joor.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by TeamLCS: 1:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
Before nko Abeg Bro, you don try.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by deshclones(m): 1:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
smh..all these Yoruba brazillians...abeg make i lookout for the pride of biafra..chukwumerije..go bring the gold boy..
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Chinom(m): 1:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
He should come to Nigeria and train in some mean rivers in Cross river, akwa ibom and Bayelsa state dodging crocodiles instead of those p*ussy gates they had to avoid in London. this way he may make it to the second round in Rio.

1 Like

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Tunmi(f): 1:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
I am proud of him for doing something different. Hopefully, this can inspire Nigerians to participate or compete in other sports.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Chinom(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Wonder dee: At least him compete for us instead of britain, thumbs up akinyemi

He had no choice. He will never make the British list. Naija was his only hope of ever being at an olympics.

2 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by NigeriaKwenu(m): 1:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Mukina
Why did you ban me for doing nothing?? Or is it a crime to create a thread again??

Afam4eva
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by SamAfrik(m): 1:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
Not a bad try. But a Togolese gettin a bronz last olympics shd inspire u to greater heights @ Rio 2016 bro.
Goodluck.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by ebamma(m): 1:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
the guy is a loyal naija boy,that guy handsome sha,may God give him a gold medal in the next olympics.

1 Like

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Ekans: 1:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
Na wa o,other countries register for sports where their area of strenght is,but here,na follow follow we dey.Keep wasting the nigerian money ok.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Ortis: 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
I guex our 1st n onli canoeing guy just went on tour of london.....tanx 4 comin,train n combak nxt year
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
His effort is commendable. He has pointed a light to a direction and it is up to other Nigerians to follow.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Emmy9ite(m): 2:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: @Mukina
Why did you ban me for doing nothing?? Or is it a crime to create a thread again??

Afam4eva
AGAIN!!!!! MUKI ABEG GRANT HIM BAIL BEFORE WE PROTEST OOO
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 30, 2012
Did u say his name is jonathan? Hmmm! All these people bearing the name jonathan sef! I tire for them.anyway congrats to him sha.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by ideylaff: 2:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
otokx: That is how they all except maybe 1 will crash out eventually and it would be a waste of resources.

The boy spent his money training himself most of the time... whose resources did he waste...?

Lets read up more b4 berating people who break their back to make the Nation Proud. The boy deserves nothing more than praise and best wishes for
the future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/canoeing/17293636

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/athletes/5c92de9c-24fc-4bdf-aca7-9dc5f7ee6c7d

http://www.nigeriaolympiccommittee.org/viewlist.php?item=Art1434;PHPSESSID=e3c782736ff86a24602dc590b9befb28

2 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by member10: 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
How this guy take be nigerian?
He dosnt look it even small!!!! Colser to brazilan.

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Martini101(m): 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
I said it that may be this guy wasnt too good to represent GB and he opted 4 Nigeria! He just proved me right, but anyways he tried. Congratz to d guy sha, Atleast, 'he was an Olympian'
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
afam4eva: Let's commend the guy because this is not a traditional Nigerian sport.
Hear hear. Who says its not a Nigerian sport. I betcha one of those fishermen in the south would outshine those other participants. In fact thinking of it, Goodluck should have participated being an ex- fisherman n sh!t.

2 Likes

Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
berem: Did u say his name is jonathan? Hmmm! All these people bearing the name jonathan sef! I tire for them.anyway congrats to him sha.
Hahahahahaha!
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
Babzilla:
Hear hear. Who says its not a Nigerian sport. I betcha one of those fishermen in the south would outshine those other participants. In fact thinking of it, Goodluck should have participated being an ex- fisherman n sh!t.

grin grin Naija, anything na GEJ.grin grin
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by YoursGEJ(m): 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
let's compete in snow-boarding during the next olympics grin grin grin grin
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by bakila: 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
njazra:

grin grin Naija, anything na GEJ.grin grin
Its his time, when he is not cinc his name will be very scarce. @op afterall him no come last.
Re: Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out by Okwyjesus(m): 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
If he is good enough he could have gone for Bratain. Just use Nigeria as a platform to make his Olympic trial simple.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala Scores And Provides An Assist As Barcelona Beat Roma 5-1 / Correct Scores Predictions And Correct Score Tips Today / Aston Villa Signs Trezeguet From Turkish Side Kasimpasa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.