Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? (4169 Views)

6 Types Of Voters In Nigeria. What Type Are You? / Buhari’s Popularity On Social Media Was Bought- Reno Omokri / If You Are The President Of Nigeria, What Will You Do Differently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by OmanIman: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2012
The Senate President, David Mark said recently that social media in Nigeria should be restricted, as Nigerians use social media to criticize their leaders with no opportunity for retraction. Is this morally justified or is it a declaration of war on peoples fundamental human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of information bill?Is this even constitutional? Imagine a world where social media becomes restricted and we cant access sites like Nairaland! What will you do?
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by 1800bc(f): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
I might be a criminal! grin grin shocked
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by ektbear: 1:15am On Jul 31, 2012
Does NL count as social media?

Hmm...are internet forums in general "social media?"
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by antitpiah: 7:44am On Jul 31, 2012
ekt_bear: Does NL count as social media?

so·cial   [soh-shuhl] Show IPA
adjective
pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
of, pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society: a social event.
living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation: People are social beings.
of or pertaining to human society, especially as a body divided into classes according to status: social rank.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social

Q: Are internet forums in general "social media?"
A: No, they are anti-social media

1 Like

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by StarrMatthieu: 8:05am On Jul 31, 2012
Look good
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by ektbear: 8:05am On Jul 31, 2012
"Social media" is a term associated with Web 2.0. Facebook, Twitter, websites which use real-time, interactive technologies like AJAX, Flash, etc.

Internet forums like Nairaland existed even in the 1990s. So if an internet forum is "social media", I guess so was Usenet in the 80s.

Btw, a tip on general English usage:

Neologisms like "social media", unlikely that one will get the definition exactly correct by simply looking up one part of the word. Your attempt and failure is a perfect example of this grin

2 Likes

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by antitpiah: 8:23am On Jul 31, 2012
^^^rofl!

I know, your strategy at winning any argument is by infinite filibustering; Kobojunkie styleeee. SO go ahead . . .
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by RichDad1(m): 8:31am On Jul 31, 2012
what will i do? I gonna purchase a very good badt GUN.let the revolution begins baby angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2012
You rape a woman then turn around to say she should say positive things about you huh?\

We are being shafted in the ass every single day by these MORONS in power and they even want to take the right to complain. Nice!
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by ektbear: 9:22am On Jul 31, 2012
Well, the point is, if you are defining "social media" purely by the dictionary definition of "social", then you also include 90s-style internet forums and technologies from the 80s like Usenet.

Which to me seems too broad. And moreover contradicts the common understanding of the word...rich, interactive websites built on Web 2.0 technologies.

The question I asked is a bit open-ended...I don't think one is likely to provide a good answer just by consulting a dictionary (for reasons stated both in this post and in the previous one).

Nairaland has some elements of social media, but is built entirely on pre-Web 2.0 technologies. So the answer isn't really obvious, I think. Which is part of the reason I asked the question.

1 Like

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by slimdiggi: 9:47am On Jul 31, 2012
1800bc: I might be a criminal! grin grin shocked
yes sooo,it will be like selling cocaine...''psst,guy you wan open nairaland? 100k o'' chai gud bizness o

1 Like

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Enlightened1: 9:50am On Jul 31, 2012
Nairalander should be careful...... Very soon eyes will be shifted to Nairaland!!
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Claus(m): 10:04am On Jul 31, 2012

I think the key is whether it's interactive or not. I don't really know so much about the technical definitions, but in the context of this issue (where a legislator feels the public are being overly critical of their leaders on social media sites), I would definitely include Nairaland.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by AjanleKoko: 10:04am On Jul 31, 2012
OmanIman: The Senate President, David Mark said recently that social media in Nigeria should be restricted, as Nigerians use social media to criticize their leaders with no opportunity for retraction. Is this morally justified or is it a declaration of war on peoples fundamental human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of information bill?Is this even constitutional? Imagine a world where social media becomes restricted and we cant access sites like Nairaland! What will you do?

The government of Nigeria, and even the private sector, don't have the technical know-how to restrict the usage of social media.
Apart from forcing telcos to shut down internet access, which would imply shutting down the bulk of international calls in and out of Nigeria, as well as financial transactions, I don't see what else they can do, apart from complain.

You could even set up your own satellite transponders and access the Internet, and they would not even know!

2 Likes

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by tohirah(f): 10:06am On Jul 31, 2012
I thought citizens had the right to speak their mind? "right to freedom of speech"
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by jossy26: 10:15am On Jul 31, 2012
Even china that blocked facebook nd twitter still use another social forum called QQ so David Mark shd go and hug transformer in osogbo NCC
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Lordave: 10:16am On Jul 31, 2012
If social media was a crime, then I prefer to de stay jailed.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Lordave: 10:16am On Jul 31, 2012
If social media was a crime, then I prefer to de stay jail.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by ebamma(m): 10:17am On Jul 31, 2012
i was not born with internet,so if it is criminalized,life will still go on for me,its only people who depend on internet for their living who will suffer.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2012
OmanIman: The Senate President, David Mark said recently that social media in Nigeria should be restricted, as Nigerians use social media to criticize their leaders with no opportunity for retraction. Is this morally justified or is it a declaration of war on peoples fundamental human rights, freedom of expression and freedom of information bill?Is this even constitutional? Imagine a world where social media becomes restricted and we cant access sites like Nairaland! What will you do?
Lets wait till then.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by OgidiOlu3(m): 10:21am On Jul 31, 2012
Whatever happened to 'freedom to express oneself'.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Chanchit: 10:21am On Jul 31, 2012
ekt_bear: Well, the point is, if you are defining "social media" purely by the dictionary definition of "social", then you also include 90s-style internet forums and technologies from the 80s like Usenet.

Which to me seems too broad. And moreover contradicts the common understanding of the word...rich, interactive websites built on Web 2.0 technologies.

The question I asked is a bit open-ended...I don't think one is likely to provide a good answer just by consulting a dictionary (for reasons stated both in this post and in the previous one).

Nairaland has some elements of social media, but is built entirely on pre-Web 2.0 technologies. So the answer isn't really obvious, I think. Which is part of the reason I asked the question.
You are jst trying to sugar quote this ur arguement, if we r to go by the words of Mr Mark, then NL is also part of it, cos i'm sure you don't go and spew all ur arguments on f/b....
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by lacasa: 10:22am On Jul 31, 2012
He doesn't Αve work ϯo do dats Ɣ he has time ϯo be saying nonsense
angry
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by eghost247(m): 10:29am On Jul 31, 2012
there are better things to focus on rather than worrying about social media
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by collins123(m): 10:33am On Jul 31, 2012
When you cut a bud, then 10 will sprout out.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 31, 2012

In the context of David Mark's "lamentation", Nairaland and other internet forums fall under the description of "social media".
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 31, 2012
the same man that said phone or hand set is not for common man on the street many years ago, abi? Now attacking the users again. He has never said thruthfully what is i his mind. Let me help him: speculations have it that he wanted to contest for president and no way to rig elections again by pdp rigging method because social media has come to stay. People tweet, call ,post and take pictures during elections and pdp are loosing it. Sorry o, you have lost in this one, mr.president, or sorry, mr. Senate presido

1 Like

Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Clemzy16(m): 10:46am On Jul 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The government of Nigeria, and even the private sector, don't have the technical know-how to restrict the usage of social media.
Apart from forcing telcos to shut down internet access, which would imply shutting down the bulk of international calls in and out of Nigeria, as well as financial transactions, I don't see what else they can do, apart from complain.

You could even set up your own satellite transponders and access the Internet, and they would not even know!
You're Right on Point.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Clemzy16(m): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2012
Then i'm willing to become a criminal!
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Tlake(m): 10:52am On Jul 31, 2012
This peeps should be ashamed of themselves why are d youths abusing them if they are doing things the right way,hve nt seen any broadcast or topics abusing working politicians. So lf they don't want it dey shuld change their ways and see how they will be praised by these same youths
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 31, 2012
They know it is not possible.
Re: If Social Media Was Criminalised In Nigeria: What Would You Do? by Cleanman(m): 11:11am On Jul 31, 2012
4bobo: the same man that said phone or hand set is not for common man on the street many years ago, abi? Now attacking the users again. He has never said thruthfully what is i his mind. Let me help him: speculations have it that he wanted to contest for president and no way to rig elections again by pdp rigging method because social media has come to stay. People tweet, call ,post and take pictures during elections and pdp are loosing it. Sorry o, you have lost in this one, mr.president, or sorry, mr. Senate presido

(1) (2) (Reply)

Presidency Insists Tambuwal Should Be Removed / Idoma People Disown Biafra, Warn Nnamdi Kanu / Nnamdi Kanu Makes "#hole In Buhari Neck" To Trends On Twitter (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.