Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday (8590 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / Obasanjo’s Refusal To Endorse Buhari Troubles APC / Fashola: Stay In Your Village If You Cant Obey Our Traffic Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by MMM2(m): 2:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fashola what of driving & drinking alcohol
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by amaba: 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE. ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. LAGOSIANS ARE SUFFERING, FASHOLA IS WORKING!!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by EkoIle1: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
Like the governor asserted, if you are not going to obey our laws, leave our state.

All you lawless losers can go back to your lawless villages. Who cares..
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 3:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
Eko Ile: Like the governor asserted, if you are not going to obey our laws, leave our state.

All you lawless losers can go back to your lawless villages. Who cares..

Please could you leave the abuse out of this. You seem to have concluded that the people that have a contrary view on this matter are non-Lagosians. We all have a right to our different opinions. Allow people to air their views and let the government make its decision. LIVE AND LET LIVE wink
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by SisiKill1: 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
Biggyd2:

The proposed law stipulates that:

• Riding a motor-cycle against traffic.

• Riding on the kerb, median or road setbacks (Penalty) 1st time offender – N20,000 subsequent offender N30,000 or the rider’s motor-cycle will be impounded.

• One-way driving (Penalty) 3 years jail term after psychiatric examination.

• [s]Smoking while driving (Penalty) N20,000 fine[/s]

• Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout (Penalty) N20,000 fine.

• Disobeying traffic control (Penalty) N20,000

• Violation of route by commercial vehicles (Penalty) N20,000 fine.

• Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger (Penalty) N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both.

• [s]Under-aged person, under 18 years old riding a motorcycle (Penalty) N20,000.
[/s]
• Driving without valid driver’s licence. (Penalty) Vehicle to be impounded.

• Learner driver without permit (Penalty) N20,000

• Driving with fake number plate (Penalty) 1st offender N20,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94007:fashola-to-endorse-new-lagos-traffic-law-thursday&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

There. . .much better!!

By the way, I don't see anything about DUI. So we can drink but not smoke? No wait. . .we can drink, talk on the phone and BB but smoking. . .Now that's just wrong! A Big No! No!

Okay naa! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by EkoIle1: 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
Biggyd2:

Please could you leave the abuse out of this. You seem to have concluded that the people that have a contrary view on this matter are a non-Lagosians. We all have a right to our different opinions. Allow people to air their views and let the government make its decision. LIVE AND LET LIVE wink

You all have your rights to your opinions and you think I don't have any rights to mine?

Please move on if you have nothing better to say...
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by tojos(m): 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
Here we go again. Fashola and his draconian laws. undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by EkoIle1: 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
I don't get all the silly cries. This is obviously a form of deterrent. Obey the laws of the land and stay out of trouble.

All the useless crying if for lawless people and law breakers.. The same people make noise everyday about how Nigeria is so lawless and how Nigeria is in such a mess, but the same people are always quick to cry and complain about any effort in the right direction.

Sorry people.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
Eko Ile:

You all have your rights to your opinions and you think I don't have any rights to mine?

Please move on if you have nothing better to say...

Thanks dear, if thats all you have to say. Your kind opinion we have noted, let others make theirs then. Let's state our opinions and not start any e-war on this thread.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by EkoIle1: 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
Biggyd2:

Thanks dear, if thats all you have to say.

Like I said, if you have nothing better to say, move on.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fashola and ACN are looking for money to fund 2015 presidential project.d fines are too high.nobody is perfect.anybody can make mistakes including mr governor himself.if ACN is continuing like this,they would loose lagos in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Dee60: 3:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
DEAR GOVERNOR FASHOLA,

I AM HOPING THAT THIS WILL RECEIVE YOUR ATTENTION. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THIS INTO LAW. WHAT IS ONE-WAY IN LAGOS? THERE ARE STILL PLACES WITHOUT SIGN AND PLACES WHERE BAD PATCHES ON THE ROAD WILL FORCE MOTORISTS TO TAKE 'ONE WAY'! IT IS UNHEARD OF THAT A PERSON WILL BE JAILED FOR THREE YEARS WITHOUT OPTION OF FINE FOR THIS. WHY WASTE THE LIVES OF THE POOR KNOWING FULL WELL HAT NO ELITE WILL BE CAUGHT BY YOUR MEN! INFACT YOUR MEN WILL SALUTE ELITES WHO BREAK SUCH LAWS! WHY KILL THE ANT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER! LET US REASON. THE POOR HAS BEEN TOO BADLY HURT IN NIGERIA AND ARE BLEEDING BAD! WHY INFLICT MORE HARRASSMENT AND PAIN. WHY? WE ARE PRAYING THAT GOD WILL TOUCH YOUR HEART SO THAT THIS IS NOT SIGNED INTO LAW. IT I+ENOUGH ERROR THAT A SO CALLED HOUSE OF REPS HAS CRAFTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

PLEASE SIR.

Dee60

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Eko Ile:

Like I said, if you have nothing better to say, move on.

My dear, I am not into this one that you want to start. If you don't like this thread, go start yours.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks u,while d law is good.d fines are not reasonable.Fashola thinks there is no poor man in lagos.
Chinom:

They will have to build 10 more prisons because the current prisons will not be enough to contain all the Okada riders and passengers they will apprehend. No Okada rider will pay N20,000 for not wearing helmet.
Most of these laws are only good on paper. Some are downright ridiculous, like no smoking while driving.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by nifemi01(m): 4:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
Its like Raj never pay tinubu his due yet.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by olaheavy: 4:43pm On Jul 31, 2012
Eko Ile: I don't get all the silly cries. This is obviously a form of deterrent. Obey the laws of the land and stay out of trouble.

All the useless crying if for lawless people and law breakers.. The same people make noise everyday about how Nigeria is so lawless and how Nigeria is in such a mess, but the same people are always quick to cry and complain about any effort in the right direction.

Sorry people.

The only area of this new traffic law that needs to be amended is the 'no smoking while driving' part. I think they need to expand it to no text-messaging, talking on phone, using a Black Berry or any other gadgets, no giving or receiving of bj and no eating while driving. That's all. As for those that are complaining, you're right most of them are Igbos from the East. So, they neeed to get the hell out of our Yorubaland if they can't abide by our rules..
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by nateevs(m): 4:58pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

There. . .much better!!

By the way, I don't see anything about DUI. So we can drink but not smoke? No wait. . .we can drink, talk on the phone and BB but smoking. . .Now that's just wrong! A Big No! No!

Okay naa! lipsrsealed

So you think it's okay for an under-age to ride a bike?
Seriously?

Can you also give me one single advantage of smoking while driving?
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by GboyegaD(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
Hope LASTMA has cameras to record erring vehicles otherwise, dey just want to exploit Lagosians as those useless things in their cursed uniforms are being given an opportunity to enrich themselves.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by oiseworld: 5:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
olaheavy:

The only area of this new traffic law that needs to be amended is the 'no smoking while driving' part. I think they need to expand it to no text-messaging, talking on phone, using a Black Berry or any other gadgets, no giving or receiving of bj and no eating while driving. That's all. As for those that are complaining, you're right most of them are Igbos from the East. So, they neeed to get the hell out of our Yorubaland if they can't abide by our rules..

Oga don't talk like that, why do u want ibo's to leave lagos?, the govt wants them to stay.do you think your yoruba and aboki guys can afford all this money. All thanks to the ibos.
And again have you ever spent christmas inand new year in lagos? Then the ibos must have gone back to the east, Lagos becomes very dry, like a graveyard. The govt also don't like it, they pray seriously for january to come.
This is my fear for Lagos if Nigeria breaks up and the Igbos and south south return to their home land. Lagos becomes finished. Then, all this laws would not be necessary, because the whole roads would be free and clear, and you can drive the way you want.

Enjoy the law, you voted him.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 5:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
Our problem can never end in this country if people still harbour such hate towards one another (just because people think that their neighbour is not not from their own ethnic group). I pity the generation after now. We and our parents have failed them indeed.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by NwaNimo1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mass non complinance is the answer to these draconian laws. . . . .

This is just the start - i'm sure more laws will be added to the bill and the fines increased regularly.

I pity lagosians. . .

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Akiika: 5:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
Just obey the rule...then you don't have to pay the penalty. As simple as ABC. It amazes me how much y'all criticize the Govt. and yet you don't want to play your part. The sanity in the developed countries is as a result of people obeying their laws. I agree though that some of the rules are excessive, like the smoking while driving thing. Most importantly, the state Govt., should be ready to provide tools that will prove that offences are actually committed, otherwise those corrupt LASTMA will have a field day collecting bribes. Citizens should also be given the opportunity to challenge penalty at the court of law. Defensive driving should be accepted in lieu of cash payment with some offences. Overall, it's a good move by the visionary Governor. No worries, y'all will get used to it. I can understand you have been breaking law since you were born. Try obeying the law for a change and wait to see the benefits.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by luvinhubby(m): 7:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Trying to create another republic within a republic, Fashola & co shud be tried for treasonable felony (coup plotting).

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by lanrefront1(m): 7:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
Those that say there is nothing wrong with the law need to think again. It's alright there should be traffic laws to act as a deterrent to drivers on the road. The question why is it necessary for the penalties to be so exorbitant. Penalties or punishment ought to be commensurate with offence.

How can you be charging 20k for even simple traffic offences that can sometimes be mistakenly committed if for example you are not familiar with some areas. I believe 3k is enough for simple traffic offences like stopping in the wrong place.

If anytime you make that mistake, you are immediately made to part with 3k, - believe that you will stop doing it even if you work in oil company.

It is false to say that for the law to work, the fines have to be crazily high. The only thing exorbitant fines like this do is create an avenue for corruption. If the fines are sensible, once you are caught, you just do the right thing. You pay your fine and don't bother negotiation anything with anyone's will even insist on getting a receipt.

But when the fine for even the simplest of traffic offence is 20k, Lastma officials will then have grounds to start negotiating with. They will say okay, brink 10k and will let you go.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

And someone should ask him why smoking and driving is an offence yet Phoning and driving isnt!

Phoning while driving is against the law all over Nigeria (nigerian states). Or can laws be endorsed two times?
Before you guys start questioning why some offence are not among, always check out if its not already a law.... Kai, nija pple don tire me with proud display of ignorance every freaking seconds. Mtcheew.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

There. . .much better!!

Okay naa! lipsrsealed

eko, where they sell star, heineken etal in go slow cheesy lipsrsealed
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
speedyboi:

Phoning while driving is against the law all over Nigeria (nigerian states). Or can laws be endorsed two times?
Before you guys start questioning why some offence are not among, always check out if its not already a law.... Kai, nija pple don tire me with proud display of ignorance every freaking seconds. Mtcheew.

considering the fact that most nigerian laws are outdated, i kind of doubt that.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Acidosis(m): 11:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
Lagosians are sufferring, Fashola is working! ! !
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by vangorg: 6:35am On Aug 01, 2012
Biggyd2:

Unfortunately I haven't seen this law yet, so I won't be able to give you an answer. However, I believe that a law should have a human face. If the government is serious about implementing this law, they surely will have to build a massive yards to confiscate offending vehicles and bikes and/or build more prisons to accommodate offenders. So sad that our politicians commit horrible crimes against the masses and how many of them even et to see what these prisons look like.
the govt is probably going to enact another law to perhaps aution out the veheicle that has spent more than 1 month in their new found yards.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by jice(m): 7:42am On Aug 01, 2012
what has smoking in the Car got to do with traffic offences?

Let's see how all these inhuman acts of Fashola and his co take us to the promise land where we take from the have-nots and give to the haves
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:22am On Aug 01, 2012
I am surprised there is no law against driving on BRT lanes - that is strange y'know - i counted 5 infractions on by Military and Navy personnel driving on BRT lanes this morning. It seems these laws favor the armed forces than civilians grin only problems i have is with this " Driving without valid driver’s licence. (Penalty) Vehicle to be impounded." It has taken me 9 months to get a valid driver's license, I have been driving with a renewed paper permit since i opted to go for a real driver's license. I hope the procedures to stay legal can be as effective as the laws been put in place check going illegal

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baraje-led PDP Launches Secretariat In Port-Harcourt / Alao Akala, Former Oyo State Gov Defects To APC? / What Nelson Mandela Said About Nigeria While He Was Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.