Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,307 members, 7,811,916 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday (8592 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / Obasanjo’s Refusal To Endorse Buhari Troubles APC / Fashola: Stay In Your Village If You Cant Obey Our Traffic Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 9:10am On Jul 31, 2012
BARRING last minute change of plans, Governor Babatunde Fashola will on Thursday sign Lagos State’s new traffic bill into law.

The bill, which was sponsored by the Chairman House Committee on Transport, Bisi Yusufu, was passed on July 12, 2012 by the State House of Assembly.

The bill seeks to criminalise traffic offences and sanction offenders as part of strategy to bring under control the chaotic traffic situation within the metropolis.

A source told The Guardian yesterday that the bill is among many functions the Governor is expected to perform on Thursday as scheduled in the manifest.

“The governor may sign the bill into law on Thursday”, the source said.

Meanwhile, more reactions continue to trail the resolve by the Lagos State government to curtail lawless motorists by applying far reaching sanctions.

A cross section of motorists who spoke with The Guardian yesterday commended the various steps taken by the Fashola’s administration to sanitise the chaotic traffic situation in the state.

While calling for adequate enlightenment, some respondents who spoke with The Guardian argued that implementation is the bane of several laws in this part of the world.

For example, a senior driver in one of the prominent transport companies in Lagos, who preferred to remain anonymous, said: “We support the effort of the state government in this regard. My worry is the revenue or financial aspect of the new law. I hope this is not another opportunity for some people to get rich over night”.

He explained that the first thing to do is “educate those who are to enforce the law including the police and staff of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA). The necessary equipment such as vehicles, video cameras and other items must be ready before the new law is allowed to take effect”.

Another motorist, Mr. Muyiwa B. Oloitan, said: “It’s a commendable step. But, how do you prove that I was smoking while driving? I cannot differentiate between fake and original licence. The Lagos state government should embark on an aggressive campaign before the law is effective. Apart from that, more alternatives to driving should be provided.”

Explaining further, Oloitan said numerous motorists within the metropolis are ignorant of the proposed laws, adding that the state government should “carry us along for the law to have its desired effect”.

He added: “I can tell you that most of the offenders especially the commercial motorcyclists and commercial bus drivers are not aware of the proposed law. Their thinking is that as soon as they are apprehended, they will bribe their way through”.

The proposed law stipulates that:

• Riding a motor-cycle against traffic.

• Riding on the kerb, median or road setbacks (Penalty) 1st time offender – N20,000 subsequent offender N30,000 or the rider’s motor-cycle will be impounded.

• One-way driving (Penalty) 3 years jail term after psychiatric examination.

• Smoking while driving (Penalty) N20,000 fine

• Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout (Penalty) N20,000 fine.

• Disobeying traffic control (Penalty) N20,000

• Violation of route by commercial vehicles (Penalty) N20,000 fine.

• Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger (Penalty) N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both.

• Under-aged person, under 18 years old riding a motorcycle (Penalty) N20,000.

• Driving without valid driver’s licence. (Penalty) Vehicle to be impounded.

• Learner driver without permit (Penalty) N20,000

• Driving with fake number plate (Penalty) 1st offender N20,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94007:fashola-to-endorse-new-lagos-traffic-law-thursday&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 10:15am On Jul 31, 2012
I hope this is not a law to be used by LASTMA to increase their revenue drive. Should the fact that an okada rider has no helmet, for instance, be a criminal offense? Lawyers in the house can help us, please. I agree that there is need for a traffic law but will this law apply to everyone?
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 31, 2012
Biggyd2: I hope this is not a law to be used by LASTMA to increase their revenue drive. Should the fact that an okada rider has no helmet, for instance, be a criminal offense? Lawyers in the house can help us, please. I agree that there is need for a traffic law but will this law apply to everyone?

To add to your question, are the laws against okada riders applicable to the passenger as well? Lemme know o, so that I can stop taking bikes altogether.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 10:40am On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe:

To add to your question, are the laws against okada riders applicable to the passenger as well? Lemme know o, so that I can stop taking bikes altogether.

Unfortunately I haven't seen this law yet, so I won't be able to give you an answer. However, I believe that a law should have a human face. If the government is serious about implementing this law, they surely will have to build a massive yards to confiscate offending vehicles and bikes and/or build more prisons to accommodate offenders. So sad that our politicians commit horrible crimes against the masses and how many of them even et to see what these prisons look like.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47am On Jul 31, 2012
Who Fhucking cares?!!

LASTMA are crooks.. Reduce the fines.. Train your officials, Pay them well and find a crack team that would break the law intentionally, with the guise of catching crooked LASTMA officials.

And someone should ask him why smoking and driving is an offence yet Phoning and driving isnt!

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 31, 2012
Now ignorance is no excuse. Fashola eye dey red o! cool
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Areaboy2(m): 10:51am On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju: Who Fhucking cares?!!

LASTMA are crooks.. Reduce the fines.. Train your officials, Pay them well and find a crack team that would break the law intentionally, with the guise of catching crooked LASTMA officials.

And someone should ask him why smoking and driving is an offence yet Phoning and driving isnt!

Very silly and needless one. cant even think of a country that thinks its a crime. Talk about our priorities
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nightshift(m): 10:57am On Jul 31, 2012
The world's most chaotic city have new traffic laws? Not bad, if it will bring sanity on its roads. That means also, that the tag "City of Excellence Confusion" will be a thing of the past? Oya....

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by superior1: 10:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger (Penalty) N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both.

WTF shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by 401kk: 11:01am On Jul 31, 2012
The punishment to be meted out to the offenders are too cruel. Also, LASTMA officials will use this law to exploit road users, both the innocent and the guilty.
I also believe the government should ensure that all lagosians are fully aware of this before it is passed to avoid cases of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 31, 2012
chai. Lastma Don Hummer

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Elueme: 11:06am On Jul 31, 2012
As usual, very undemocratic and non- people oriented policy.. If I may ask when will Fashola mk policies that will benefit the already impoverished masses in Lagos.. All these traffic rules or laws are only serving few touts and NURTWS..as well as the political goons who control these revenue agencies.. More money for Tinubu to sponsor anti FG propaganda.. Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by inspirenet: 11:07am On Jul 31, 2012
401kk: The punishment to be meted out to the offenders are too cruel. Also, LASTMA officials will use this law to exploit road users, both the innocent and the guilty.
I also believe the government should ensure that all lagosians are fully aware of this before it is passed to avoid cases of ignorance.

cheesy
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Cleanman(m): 11:08am On Jul 31, 2012
Elueme: As usual, very undemocratic and non- people oriented policy.. If I may ask when will Fashola mk policies that will benefit the already impoverished masses in Lagos.. All these traffic rules or laws are only serving few touts and NURTWS..as well as the political goons who control these revenue agencies.. More money for Tinubu to sponsor anti FG propaganda.. Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by ebamma(m): 11:10am On Jul 31, 2012
THIS IS LAGOS SHINE YOUR EYES FOR LASTMA,DONT FALL A VICTIM

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Melahou(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2012
man humanity 2 man.
absolute power corrupt absolutely...

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by kunletade(m): 11:16am On Jul 31, 2012
yeah i think it is a good develoment lagos state is catching up with the rest of the world... cheesy
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Dainfamous: 11:19am On Jul 31, 2012
we have to start from some were
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by theplanmaker: 11:20am On Jul 31, 2012
I dnt understand nigerians, wat is wrong with these laws? If they are implemented with proper orientation and compliance, the masses will benefit. If the lastma officials decide to corrupt the whole process, then who is at fault? Fashola or the lastma officials? Pls lagosians if u adhere strictly with the laws then u have nothing to fear, not even corrupt lastma officials

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by hardbody: 11:22am On Jul 31, 2012
Those laws are not put in place for folks like me. I hit the road while LASTMEN are still snoring in bed, or on the floor. I beat all the traffic lights and rules, smoke till i get to the office, park and nap. Work till LASTMEN are tired and back on their hard cold floors to sleep, i drive through the club, drink heavily, break all the traffic rules en route home and repeat the same steps next day. I no send their papa.

As a rule, i dont go out on weekends, i drink around my hood and host pals in my neighbourhood. If i ever have to drive to teh pool or club, tehre is always a pal that will be willing to use his car.

Why would any person even say i should not snoke in my car when it is not a passenger vehicle and does not come within the purview of a 'public place' within the that definition in the criminal law books. I think i will challenge this law sef in the Courts. God punish LASTMA (LASTMEN) and their Governor. Are those the real issues that we are facing presently? Talk about priorities.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Pimples(m): 11:23am On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju: And someone should ask him why smoking and driving is an offence yet Phoning and driving isnt!
I Agree. Making calls while driving is quite bad. Infact in Belgium u are expected to always have both hands on the steering. Using one hand to drive is Illegal.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by nateevs(m): 11:30am On Jul 31, 2012
hardbody: Those laws are not put in place for folks like me. I hit the road while LASTMEN are still snoring in bed, or on the floor. I beat all the traffic lights and rules, smoke till i get to the office, park and nap. Work till LASTMEN are tired and back on their hard cold floors to sleep, i drive through the club, drink heavily, break all the traffic rules en route home and repeat the same steps next day. I no send their papa.

As a rule, i dont go out on weekends, i drink around my hood and host pals in my neighbourhood. If i ever have to drive to teh pool or club, tehre is always a pal that will be willing to use his car.

Why would any person even say i should not snoke in my car when it is not a passenger vehicle and does not come within the purview of a 'public place' within the that definition in the criminal law books. I think i will challenge this law sef in the Courts. God punish LASTMA (LASTMEN) and their Governor. Are those the real issues that we are facing presently? Talk about priorities.

You want to challenge the law in court after publicly admitting that you break every traffic rule when you can?
Many times, it isn't the politicians that run Nigeria down, it's people like you.

How can you be proud that you drive a car after drinking heavily? If you do not think of yourself, how about the little baby born yesterday, whose father you could have knocked down because of impaired vision?
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Dosoq(f): 11:46am On Jul 31, 2012
nateevs:

You want to challenge the law in court after publicly admitting that you break every traffic rule when you can?
Many times, it isn't the politicians that run Nigeria down, it's people like you.

How can you be proud that you drive a car after drinking heavily? If you do not think of yourself, how about the little baby born yesterday, whose father you could have knocked down because of impaired vision?
Guy,u talk wel!,its ppl dat blame GEJ 4 every damn tin,yet,dey can't abide by simple rules......shiioooo
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Chinom(m): 11:53am On Jul 31, 2012
superior1: Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger (Penalty) N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both.

They will have to build 10 more prisons because the current prisons will not be enough to contain all the Okada riders and passengers they will apprehend. No Okada rider will pay N20,000 for not wearing helmet.
Most of these laws are only good on paper. Some are downright ridiculous, like no smoking while driving.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by jason123: 11:56am On Jul 31, 2012
Chinom:
Most of these laws are only good on paper. Some are downright ridiculous, like no smoking while driving.

I read the so-called law earlier today. Of it all, the highlighted is the most ridiculous.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
Congratulations LASTMA official una blood awoof money don ready.... "Can someone please tell me how you can join LASTMA even with a masters degree and as a senior manager in current Company, cuz i would prefer been posted to the road as a LASTMA official.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by nateevs(m): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
Why is "No smoking while driving" seen as ridiculous? Why would you want to smoke while driving?
It very well could impede your driving which is a potential hazard to other road users. Plus you have to expel the ash from the cigarette on the road and you turn around and ask why the city is so dirty. What bit of yours have you done?

There's been a lot of campaign here in the UK to ban smoking while driving. No sane person should smoke while driving.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Biggyd2: 12:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
If you are a visitor, just be careful and vigilant because not only will you not be properly informed of these roads that are "one way" but the LASTMA officials act as agent provocateurs. Or if you mistakenly break 'their law', you will see like 5 of them jumping out from under the "ebelebo" tree where they were previously hiding, to arrest you! What baffles me is that you see danfo drivers always using the BRT lanes but they hardly arrest them. Do these officials own some of these buses?

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Chanchit: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
All this Fashola knws how to do best is law law law.. None of this law has a direct impact on the masses, now those rouge Lastma officials would start buying houses in banana island very soon...

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by Revolva(m): 2:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
superior1: Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger (Penalty) N20,000 or 3 years imprisonment or both.

I beg oo where una want make a poor okada rider get 20'k for that incase he get caught and also the passenger sef is involved so this lastma want make lagosians no enjoy okada anymo, hey hadly you will see an okada rider with a crash helmet not to talk of the passenger hiss- lookin for way to punish the common man - Bleep dem all
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by EkoIle1: 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
the planmaker: I dnt understand nigerians, wat is wrong with these laws? If they are implemented with proper orientation and compliance, the masses will benefit. If the lastma officials decide to corrupt the whole process, then who is at fault? Fashola or the lastma officials? Pls lagosians if u adhere strictly with the laws then u have nothing to fear, not even corrupt lastma officials

A very enlightened and intelligent view. Unfortunately, many Nigerians are always fighting against their own interests and what's best for them.
Re: Fashola To Endorse New Lagos Traffic Law Thursday by sammhi(m): 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
Another DRACONIANLAW by a supposed legal luminary governor.Quite frankly Fasola needs to learn to be humane and stop being Idiagbonish. why cant he learn to balance justice and equity. I know the drive for the law is revenue generation. nothing more

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will You Support The Return Of Barth Nnaji As Power Minister... / Jonathan Didn't Contribute A Dime For My Jet - Oritsejafor / Nigeria May Lose N985b In Oil Revenue This Year -pwc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.