Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,546 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

ECU Stolen - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ECU Stolen (24839 Views)

Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Buying Or Getting ECU (brainbox)? Read This! / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo: No be ECU be brain box again? When my mechanic removed it and turned it upside down, water came out of it. @Zim, I will also appreciate it if you can give specific sensor names because the error code that came out during the scanning is for ECU according to my mechanic.
Bro ur mechanic is wack,if ur ECU is dead no way would it say its dead,simple rule is,remove one of the knwn working sensors and see if it throws that code,however tell us the codes its showing atm to make life easy for U
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo: The technician is now telling me that the brain box can't be repaired, that it flashed while the mechanic tried to start the ignition with water inside. Please, is there any hope at all on repairs cos the price that they are calling for a new one is not funny at all.
@Zim, are you a technician? If Γ̲̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥§, drop your number, I will give U̶̲̥̅̊ a call.
Best bet get one from America,cost U prob $110 to buy and $100 to ship
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 3:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
sammily: All these stolen ECU that I am reading is quite alarming, how can one now prevent it from happening, cos I'm pushing a corolla also. undecided
Very easy,remove the part number sticker an store it in a safe place,U neef that number to re configure it.
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
ereso: I have a similar problem, the brain box of my avensis was stolen and the ECU number is unavailable.
The chassis number is sb1bh55190e085994.
engine number 1az2377370
Its a 2004 Toyota avensis model.
With a 2.0 engine.
Its automatic.
Please where can I get a reliable dealer to send it to warri and an auto electrician than can synchronize(code) it.
I really appreciate if any one can help.
Thanks. my e-mail eresobrown@yahoo.com
U can look for same model of that car and copy the serial and Part number or U can Email and request this frm Toyota USA
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2013
pek: sorry but I don't agree with you. there are many brain box that we refer as plug and drive! they don't need any immobilizer or any programming.
Spot on
All one needs is the Vin and Part numbers
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
erico2k2:
Best bet get one from America,cost U prob $110 to buy and $100 to ship
Ok, thanks Erico. do you know any reliable site and how long it will take to arrive at my doorstep?
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 7:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo:
Ok, thanks Erico. do you know any reliable site and how long it will take to arrive at my doorstep?
Rite I do there loads of them on Ebey bv U need a USA address,do U knw anyone who would help U in the US?
Delivery is Fedex or DHL
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 10:56pm On Oct 29, 2013
ericko. thanks for holding brief! you have done a marvellous job. let me continue where you stopped, I won't advice anyone repairing ECU. it could turn out to money down the drain, as my people will say, close your eye and buy what you need. for teextoo, your brain box is available. It is not that expensive. we can always talk, for eresobrown, I am surprised you haven't gotten your brain box up till now. I sent you a mail since, No reply from you. Good luck all.
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 1:48am On Oct 30, 2013
we can also chat 7c646abd

1 Like

Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 7:22am On Oct 30, 2013
pek: ericko. thanks for holding brief! you have done a marvellous job. let me continue where you stopped, I won't advice anyone repairing ECU. it could turn out to money down the drain, as my people will say, close your eye and buy what you need. for teextoo, your brain box is available. It is not that expensive. we can always talk, for eresobrown, I am surprised you haven't gotten your brain box up till now. I sent you a mail since, No reply from you. Good luck all.
All gd bro
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 7:37am On Oct 30, 2013
pek: we can also chat 7c646abd
I added you an hour ago but yet to get response. I will like to talk to you on phone in order to explore my options. Here is my email maudik283@yahoo.com, send me your number
Re: ECU Stolen by bestman09(m): 7:11am On Nov 01, 2013
Pls HELP! The brain box of my freind's Mitsubishi space wagon GDI is damaged and the car can not start and his mechanic is suggesting buying a new engine bc no brain box seems to work with the car. Please, how can this car be fixed without resorting to buying of a new engine? Four (4) different brain box has been tried but no one worked
Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:10am On Nov 01, 2013
bestman09: Pls HELP! The brain box of my freind's Mitsubishi space wagon GDI is damaged and the car can not start and his mechanic is suggesting buying a new engine bc no brain box seems to work with the car. Please, how can this car be fixed without resorting to buying of a new engine? Four (4) different brain box has been tried but no one worked

we need the year and engine size of the car

when says it seems to work what do mean its either it works or not

most likely you are being conned (if it seems to work with another car than means your mechanic is rubbish what cant he pick up the fault than changing the whole engine)

1st change your mechanic
2nd get your car scanned
3rd then get a rough conclusion from the scan
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 01, 2013
bestman09: Pls HELP! The brain box of my freind's Mitsubishi space wagon GDI is damaged and the car can not start and his mechanic is suggesting buying a new engine bc no brain box seems to work with the car. Please, how can this car be fixed without resorting to buying of a new engine? Four (4) different brain box has been tried but no one worked

I've always seen Nigerians as being really sharp, but reading this...

After replacing the ECU 4 times, and no results, what does that tell you?

There are different scenarios here:

01) The replacement ECU's look physically the same, but have different part numbers (non-compatible).
02) The replacement ECU's are ALL faulty (not very likely).
03) The non-start issue is external to the ECU.
04) The replacement ECU's ALL have immobilisers that need re-coding to the ignition key of the recipient car.
05) The "mechanic" doesn't know his own ársehole from a hole in the ground (most likely).

I would suggest you your friend gets his car to a REAL qualified gararge to get your his car diagnosed properly, rather than keep throwing parts at it. Pay good money, and sort this out. Stop cutting corners, and using phoney mechanics to destroy your car, just because they're cheap.

I marvel at the way engines are swapped (usually with a much older one from a different manufacturer) just because some moronic "mechanic" is too thick, lazy and brain-dead to diagnose a simple fault.

I'm willing to bet the non-start issue is NOTHING to do with the ECU, or your mechanic is just throwing random ECU's at it. Just because ECU's look the same, doesn't make them compatible in ANY way.

5 Likes

Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:54am On Nov 01, 2013
Siena:

I've always seen Nigerians as being really sharp, but reading this...

After replacing the ECU 4 times, and no results, what does that tell you?

There are different scenarios here:

01) The replacement ECU's look physically the same, but have different part numbers (non-compatible).
02) The replacement ECU's are ALL faulty (not very likely).
03) The non-start issue is external to the ECU.
04) The replacement ECU's ALL have immobilisers that need re-coding to the ignition key of the recipient car.
05) The "mechanic" doesn't know his own ársehole from a hole in the ground (most likely).

I would suggest you your friend gets his car to a REAL qualified gararge to get your his car diagnosed properly, rather than keep throwing parts at it. Pay good money, and sort this out. Stop cutting corners, and using phoney mechanics to destroy your car, just because they're cheap.

I marvel at the way engines are swapped (usually with a much older one from a different manufacturer) just because some moronic "mechanic" is too thick, lazy and brain-dead to diagnose a simple fault.

I'm willing to bet the non-start issue is NOTHING to do with the ECU, or your mechanic is just throwing random ECU's at it. Just because ECU's look the same, doesn't make them compatible in ANY way.

i was talking about it with a nija friend yesterday, most mechanic in africa are scarred or lazy to move with times as in getting to know car's electronically by getting the simplest OBDII tools and being able to identify the problem as electronic or mechanically which will be easy to refer an electronic issue to an auto electrician and him/her being able to refer a mechanical issue to mechanic

i have learnt that those who are supposed to be auto electricians are butchers they damage the original wiring of the car hence the name REWIRE most things a butchered because they dont understand electronics and dont bothered to learn or be guided by a tool OBDII etc

yesterday i installed a reverse camera on honda 1998 cr v it only turns ON when i put the car into reverse, the display unit clips on top the rear view mirror and now works as my rear mirror and reverse display unit, when the screen is off am able to use it as the rear view mirror. am thinking of changing how it turns on as for now it only turns on when i put thee car into reverse, i want it to turn on when i want without putting the car into reverse so i will get 12volts from any 12v positive that turns live when i put ignition into position 1 and wire that cable to camera and disconnet the power source from the reverse light source. i will able to switch on even when am driving in forward gears and also am thinking of putting another camera in the front by either the right or left corner of the bumper, the display unit can take two inputs, if the display would take 3 inputs i was going to put 3 cameras two at the front by the bumper corners and one at the back

i love playing around with car electronic gadgets
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 01, 2013
^^^Zim, I would leave your reverse camera hooked up to your reverse light switch, which is how it should be. Having the display permanently displaying images whilst driving will provide an unwelcome (and dare I say dangerous) distraction.

Very different to your rear view mirror.

1 Like

Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:21am On Nov 01, 2013
Siena: ^^^Zim, I would leave your reverse camera hooked up to your reverse light switch, which is how it should be. Having the display permanently displaying images whilst driving will provide an unwelcome (and dare I say dangerous) distraction.

Very different to your rear view mirror.

it wouldnt be permanently ON forgot to say that new 12 volts feed will have a switch on the dashboard, for it to be on the switch should be ON
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 12:17pm On Nov 02, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

it wouldnt be permanently ON forgot to say that new 12 volts feed will have a switch on the dashboard, for it to be on the switch should be ON

I wake up dis monin and found out my ECU hv been stolen from my car where I packed it last night. I was so angry now. I buy dis car 2weeks ago snd I dont know d parts number. Pls guys help m wit d parts number so dat I can buy another one. My car is toyota corolla 2003 model wit vin number 2T1BR32E93C739600. Please how can i do about dat. I am waitin
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 6:31pm On Nov 02, 2013
chikasin4:

I wake up dis monin and found out my ECU hv been stolen from my car where I packed it last night. I was so angry now. I buy dis car 2weeks ago snd I dont know d parts number. Pls guys help m wit d parts number so dat I can buy another one. My car is toyota corolla 2003 model wit vin number 2T1BR32E93C739600. Please how can i do about dat. I am waitin
Seriously?so ur windows smashed as well? As that model would be central locked with alarms??
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2013
erico2k2:
Seriously?so ur windows smashed as well? As that model would be central locked with alarms??

Ya dey smashed d small back side mirror. Can u help m wit d right ecu part no i shld buy
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 02, 2013
chikasin4:

Ya dey smashed d small back side mirror. Can u help m wit d right ecu part no i shld buy

More details would help.

01) Auto or manual?
02) Engine size?

If you know the country of origin, that would help too, as a 2003 Toyota Corolla from North America will most certainly have a different ECU from a Euro model.
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 7:01am On Nov 03, 2013
reading the comments on mechanics and brain box, I won't say I am surprised! I am only surprised people haven't realised How daft our mechanics can be. replacing an engine because you can't get the right ECU is just lame. you don't buy brain box on trial basis. you need to know the right thing.
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 9:11am On Nov 03, 2013
Siena:

More details would help.

01) Auto or manual?
02) Engine size?

If you know the country of origin, that would help too, as a 2003 Toyota Corolla from North America will most certainly have a different ECU from a Euro model.

@siena, it is North American model, automatic transmision wit 1.8liter inline 4 engine. Pls I need ur responce now, I am waitin, thank u. I want to buy a used ecu tomorrow, pls advice m on that, i need d part no dat will march d stolen one plls
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 9:15am On Nov 03, 2013
pek: reading the comments on mechanics and brain box, I won't say I am surprised! I am only surprised people haven't realised How daft our mechanics can be. replacing an engine because you can't get the right ECU is just lame. you don't buy brain box on trial basis. you need to know the right thing.

@pec I send u email am waitin for ur replay. My email address is chyco4life2@yahoo.com. thank u
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 2:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
chikasin4:

@siena, it is North American model, automatic transmision wit 1.8liter inline 4 engine. Pls I need ur responce now, I am waitin, thank u. I want to buy a used ecu tomorrow, pls advice m on that, i need d part no dat will march d stolen one plls
I dont know how computer litrate you are both I hope you have a clue,
Now ECU are like a samll computer, you need the part number to know the type of ECU, after you got one that is of same make and model, you now need to program it with your VIN which you failed to tell us on here, go back to your car and copy the VIN thats the only way out to program it and for us to get that real model of the car,U just cant buy any ECU plug it in your car and Expect it to work, you have to program it in with teh VIn plus your milage, I did one for my Wife's car last week when the ECU in the Jeep liberty failed, though It was programmed form the USA.
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 5:45pm On Nov 03, 2013
erico2k2:
I dont know how computer litrate you are both I hope you have a clue,
Now ECU are like a samll computer, you need the part number to know the type of ECU, after you got one that is of same make and model, you now need to program it with your VIN which you failed to tell us on here, go back to your car and copy the VIN thats the only way out to program it and for us to get that real model of the car,U just cant buy any ECU plug it in your car and Expect it to work, you have to program it in with teh VIn plus your milage, I did one for my Wife's car last week when the ECU in the Jeep liberty failed, though It was programmed form the USA.

I hv posted d vin no, pls read my post before commentin ok, The ecu was stolen yestaday from where I packed d car. I dont know d part no since d car was purchased last week, i hv not even put d plate no on it. Ok can u help m
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 7:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
pek: post your number or email.

Hi pek I hv a case of stolen ECU, my car is toyota corolla 2003, 1.8litres engine, North America model wit vin number 2T1BR32E93C739600. Pls help m wit d correct ECU number I shld buy dat will mach d stolen one. My email is chyco4life2@yahoo.com. thank u I am waiting
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 6:10am On Nov 04, 2013
chikasim, sorry for your loss! I have replied you a long time ago. but if you still need my email, here it is : pekalu007@gmail.com
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 9:29pm On Nov 04, 2013
chikasin4:

I hv posted d vin no, pls read my post before commentin ok, The ecu was stolen yestaday from where I packed d car. I dont know d part no since d car was purchased last week, i hv not even put d plate no on it. Ok can u help m
ok, now the part number would be same as any other of same year and model, so check about to get a part number for same make,model and year, go to a dealer and check, you will never get a matching ECU without the exact part number.And dont forget, your new ECU had to be programed with you correct VIN number and milage, dont just buy any ECU and think it would work.
Re: ECU Stolen by chikasin4(m): 5:26am On Nov 05, 2013
erico2k2:
ok, now the part number would be same as any other of same year and model, so check about to get a part number for same make,model and year, go to a dealer and check, you will never get a matching ECU without the exact part number.And dont forget, your new ECU had to be programed with you correct VIN number and milage, dont just buy any ECU and think it would work.
Thank u
Re: ECU Stolen by HRHGambino(m): 10:28pm On Dec 10, 2013
Interesting thread....and I was actually considering a corolla. Actually supposed to go check one out tomorrow but all these ECU theft stories aren't funny.
Re: ECU Stolen by omikunle1984: 7:13pm On Dec 15, 2013
hi Pek, my toyota corolla 2003 automatic 1.8L car was stolen , here's the VN number 1NXBR32E23Z012149, what ecu number do i look for, will appreciate ur help on this. thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BMW 7 Series Facelift: Everything You Need To Know / 5 Advantages Of Driving An Innoson Vehicle / Tesla Model S In Nigeria (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.