Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Fashola Signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill Into Law-trucks Are Prohibited B/w 6am-9pm - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill Into Law-trucks Are Prohibited B/w 6am-9pm (10705 Views)

Traffic Law: Lagos Lists Vehicles That Can Operate From 6am-9pm / Fashola Signs Cremation Bill In To Law / Fashola Signs Mortgage Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Fashola Signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill Into Law-trucks Are Prohibited B/w 6am-9pm by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

which new york? undecided

Know the funny thing? As I was replying that post I heard a truck offloading stuff right underneath my window, I took the pic but I'm its on my phone, maybe I'll upload it later.

SMH
Re: Fashola Signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill Into Law-trucks Are Prohibited B/w 6am-9pm by BaBaMike: 8:13am On Aug 07, 2012
kingoflag:

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?!

you are so rude and lack manners
Re: Fashola Signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill Into Law-trucks Are Prohibited B/w 6am-9pm by lanrefront1(m): 1:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
This law without a doubt has many aspects which as to be fine-tuned and needs not be signed into law that quickly.

By and large, my greatest grouse and biggest problem of Lagos traffic laws is: why does the fine for all offences have to be so exorbitant. There is a general common sense in law which is: punishment ought to be commensurate with the crime (in this case, the fine ought to be commensurate with the traffic law broken.

For instance, can you honestly say(like someone already said) that asking for a fine of N30,000 for eating gala or a snack on the road makes sense.

An exuberant twenty- one year old boy that has just started driving runs an errand for his mum and foolishly continues eating a biscuit he has been eating from home. So you catch the boy and put the mum in a 30k problem because of that minor offence.

It's simply not true that the desired effect will not be achieved unless the fine is ridiculously exorbitant. A N2000 fine for a first offender is very much in order. The second time N5000 and the third time, N5000 + a day in police cell or a 50 hours enforced community service.

The truth is that unnecessarily high exorbitant fees for traffic offences is merely a continuation of the corruption mentality in governance.

They have been cases where road-users mistakenly broke some traffic laws and in a desperate bid to escape caused terrible accidents. The reason was because of ridiculously high fine they know they will have to cough out which they don't just have. When fines are reasonable, offenders will readily accept their fault, learn their lesson and pay the fine.

There is no need for endless negotiations with Lastma officials. Which brings me to the next point. Exorbitant fines is merely a way of finding money for the boys. When a fine for a minor offence is put as 30k, then Lastma or VIO will be telling you to bring 15k and they will let you go. If the fines are reasonable, no one will waste his or her time negotiating with officials to pay that will never reach goverment coffers. People will just admit their guilt and pay the fine. They will even ask for receipt. If there is no monetary gain for their private pockets in being unduly over-zealous, these officials will stick to doing the real job assigned to them and will stop harrasing and extorting Lagosians. They will stop hiding and then jumping out to arrest peope. Their brains will begin to know the difference between a car breaking down and a car breaking traffic law. They will be the greatest advocate that there should be proper and extensive and legible sign-boards through-out Lagos showing what roads are meant for.

Imagine, so many one-way roads have no sign-board indicating the nature of the road. How the hell is a first-timer in that area expected know? Through the gift of prophecy and vision? And some that do have, the sign-board is small or inconspicious that you will defintely miss it.

I don't why know Lawmakers make laws without caring to carry out any resaech or ground work because of the people thay claim to represent. Afterall, laws are made for the sake of the people and not the other way round. On the otherhand, maybe they just know exactly what they are doing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thisday Bomber Jailed For Life. / Security Beefed Up In Rivers As INEC Collates Election Results / Osinbajo: Nigeria Needs Responsible Political, Religious Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.