Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,498 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? (10255 Views)

Is It Advisable For A B.sc Holder To Work As A LASTMA Official? / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / M.sc In Biochemistry Or B.sc In Nursing, Which Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by lambalamb(m): 7:11pm On Aug 04, 2012
JUST GRAD FROM THE UNIVERSITY WITH A FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS.....SO I NID AN ADVICE ON HOW TO START A CAREER IN TELECOMMUNICATION. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO?
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by alorauzoms(m): 7:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
TELECOM IS OF TWO SECTIONS ..............PROGRAMMING,ENGINEERING,VALUE ADDED SERVICES (VAS).........WHERE DOES UR INTEREST LIES
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2012
lamba lamb: JUST GRAD FROM THE UNIVERSITY WITH A FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS.....SO I NID AN ADVICE ON HOW TO START A CAREER IN TELECOMMUNICATION. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO?
Why telecoms and not finance?
Just asking though cos it is a 'choice' thing.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2012
lamba lamb: JUST GRAD FROM THE UNIVERSITY WITH A FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS.....SO I NID AN ADVICE ON HOW TO START A CAREER IN TELECOMMUNICATION. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO?

There are a number of career options for a math graduate in telecom. But you have to work your way in that direction.

- Marketing: Business Intelligence and Market Planning, or Market Research.
- IT: Software engineering, solutions development.
- Finance: Revenue Assurance/Audit

Since you have a first class, why not pursue a career in consulting. The telcos in Nigeria consume a lot of consulting services, from the Big Four as well as offshore firms like Mckinsey, Booz & Co, Delta Partners, Peppers & Rodgers, etc. You should start by pursuing career options in Accenture, PwC, E&Y, Deloitte, or KPMG. With a first class, you are very likely to get a place with one of them. Every one of them have regular engagements with the big telcos, and they will give you the necessary training and exposure you need, to land a good telco position.

[size=3pt]In fact, it's people like you that i would gladly pay for their masters abroad. Not the ones who should ideally be driving trucks for Dangote[/size] grin

Though looking at your original post again . . . did you really make a first class, or you just opened a can-of-gulder thread? undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 10:28pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

There are a number of career options for a math graduate in telecom. But you have to work your way in that direction.

- Marketing: Business Intelligence and Market Planning, or Market Research.
- IT: Software engineering, solutions development.
- Finance: Revenue Assurance/Audit

Since you have a first class, why not pursue a career in consulting. The telcos in Nigeria consume a lot of consulting services, from the Big Four as well as offshore firms like Mckinsey, Booz & Co, Delta Partners, Peppers & Rodgers, etc. You should start by pursuing career options in Accenture, PwC, E&Y, Deloitte, or KPMG. With a first class, you are very likely to get a place with one of them. Every one of them have regular engagements with the big telcos, and they will give you the necessary training and exposure you need, to land a good telco position.

[size=3pt]In fact, it's people like you that i would gladly pay for their masters abroad. Not the ones who should ideally be driving trucks for Dangote[/size] grin

Though looking at your original post again . . . did you really make a first class, or you just opened a can-of-gulder thread? undecided
Lol at the bolded.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by violent(m): 10:51pm On Aug 04, 2012
Graduating with a first class in mathematics tells me you are smart. Typing on a forum with all caps tells me you have an attitude problem and aren't sensible.

Of what use is smartness without senses?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 11:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
violent:

Graduating with a first class in mathematics tells me you are smart. Typing on a forum with all caps tells me you have an attitude problem and aren't sensible.

Of what use is smartness without senses?

The inferred absence of the first tells me only one thing.
This thread is a can of gulder.
Someone wants to FEEL GOOD grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by yemmyma: 11:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The inferred absence of the first tells me only one thing.
This thread is a can of gulder.
Someone wants to FEEL GOOD grin

Buy you would have gladly paid for his masters abroad.... grin
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 12:25am On Aug 05, 2012
yemmy_ma:

Buy you would have gladly paid for his masters abroad.... grin

if he was truly a first class degree holder, and had an opportunity to study abroad.
But with a first class degree in mathematics, to be honest, he doesn't even need to bother about that right now.
if he does what he is advised to do (and trust me, the first class people know these things, because the companies I mentioned are actively looking for them), he will be able to pay for any masters himself in a couple of years.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by pendusky(m): 6:15am On Aug 05, 2012
nitrogen:
Lol at the bolded.
Lol, aj totally out 4 a blow at dangote.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by joey4jo: 9:30am On Aug 05, 2012
Not everybody is created equally, some are gifted and can graduate with 1st class with little effort. While others with hard work they fall in the range of 2.1-3.0.

PS
Nobody is graduating with first class from my class or has from in my course in a while, it's not because we're not smart but it's just how things work here.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by yemmyma: 12:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

if he was truly a first class degree holder, and had an opportunity to study abroad.
But with a first class degree in mathematics, to be honest, he doesn't even need to bother about that right now.
if he does what he is advised to do (and trust me, the first class people know these things, because the companies I mentioned are actively looking for them), he will be able to pay for any masters himself in a couple of years.

I can't advise anybody with a first class in mathematics to waste time in Nigeria. There are many things they can do with their lives off the shores of Nigeria. If only they know where to look to.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by violent(m): 1:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 3:48pm On Aug 05, 2012
yemmy_ma:

I can't advise anybody with a first class in mathematics to waste time in Nigeria. There are many things they can do with their lives off the shores of Nigeria. If only they know where to look to.

You guys are really over the top with this abroad thing.
For your information, there are a lot of chaps who went to top schools abroad, and are back in Nigeria. Working in MNCs, running their own business, some are even into art, fashion, and writing/blogging. And they make a reasonably OK living. Returning to Naija has not killed them ke.

Sure, Nigeria is not the West, not by a long shot. But there's a pervading mentality among Nigerian youth; they must go abroad, ostensibly to get a degree because 'the nation has failed them', or 'Nigerian education is useless'. What if i told you a friend of mine, who is a VP in a very big bank in Nigeria, is by birth an American citizen, and yet has never gone there to study or work? You would say it's a lie, or there is something wrong with the guy. But I shyt you not, the guy schooled in Nigeria, made a good grade, and even did his masters here. He's a pali-carrying American citizen.

The financial controller of Nigeria LNG is a chap with a first in accounting, a masters in finance from Unilag, and he was 2nd overall in the nation in his ICAN finals. He's one of the top five people in NLNG. Which abroad you wan use shakara that kind of person? He doesn't have any foreign degree, and he has been posted all over Europe and some parts of Asia to work.

If this guy truly has a first class in mathematics, I will march him over to Accenture myself. In fact, he should contact me. But if he does have a first class in math, and is in Nigeria, he won't even need me. Abroad? He will travel to America tire, even with his ordinary Bsc.

More likely he is taking the piss with respectable Nairaland folk, like so many other joker youth, which is why I dey vex for this section nowadays. You see posts like ' I want to work in oil and gas company, please help me!' angry I am beginning to wonder if any of these people are even in any university in Nigeria, with their terrible grammar.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by yemmyma: 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You guys are really over the top with this abroad thing.
For your information, there are a lot of chaps who went to top schools abroad, and are back in Nigeria. Working in MNCs, running their own business, some are even into art, fashion, and writing/blogging. And they make a reasonably OK living.

Sure, Nigeria is not the West, not by a long shot. But there's a pervading mentality among Nigerian youth; they must go abroad, ostensibly to get a degree because 'the nation has failed them', or 'Nigerian education is useless'. What if i told you a friend of mine, who is a VP in a very big bank in Nigeria, is by birth an American citizen, and yet has never gone there to study or work? You would say it's a lie, or there is something wrong with the guy. But I shyt you not, the guy schooled in Nigeria, made a good grade, and even did his masters here. He's a pali-carrying American citizen.

The financial controller of Nigeria LNG is a chap with a first in accounting, a masters in finance from Unilag, and he was 2nd overall in the nation in his ICAN finals. He's one of the top five people in NLNG. Which abroad you wan use shakara that kind of person? He doesn't have any foreign degree, and he has been posted all over Europe and some parts of Asia to work.

If this guy truly has a first class in mathematics, I will march him over to Accenture myself. In fact, he should contact me. But if he does have a first class in math, and is in Nigeria, he won't even need me. Abroad? He will travel to America taya, even with his ordinary Bsc.

More likely he is taking the piss with respectable Nairaland folk, like so many other joker youth, which is why I dey vex for this section nowadays. You see posts like ' I want to work in oil and gas company, please help me!' angry I am beginning to wonder if any of these people are even in any university in Nigeria, with their terrible grammar.

They went abroad and came back right? I am of the opinion that the term 'exposure' is very missing in the general attitude of Nigerian youths. So if he made a first in Maths or Accounting, i am sure he is not alone in Nigeria with such grade. He is competing with other Nigerians with similar grades.

Unfortunately, on this same nairaland, we have seen many Nigerian grads who graduated with a degree in Maths but don't know what to do afterwards and these same youths you have personally labelled clueless right? So if i say he should consider going abroad, i am not advising with a bad intent, rather i want him to have a back up plan if he can't get any meaningful employment in Nigeria.

violent:

Life and it's many faces eh? Some of us with an "okay" career off the shores of Nigeria continue to have a burning desire to be home. Home where our feet may leave but never our hearts!

Yeah right, you are off the shores of Nigeria and have seen how sane things are done where you reside. So i think it is fairly human of me to tell the dude to go and experience the same things and when he is satisfied he can choose to return to Nigeria and enjoy the Nigerian dream.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 4:58pm On Aug 05, 2012
yemmy_ma:

They went abroad and came back right? I am of the opinion that the term 'exposure' is very missing in the general attitude of Nigerian youths. So if he made a first in Maths or Accounting, i am sure he is not alone in Nigeria with such grade. He is competing with other Nigerians with similar grades.

Unfortunately, on this same nairaland, we have seen many Nigerian grads who graduated with a degree in Maths but don't know what to do afterwards and these same youths you have personally labelled clueless right? So if i say he should consider going abroad, i am not advising with a bad intent, rather i want him to have a back up plan if he can't get any meaningful employment in Nigeria.

You missed like 75% of my post.
I think you're not in naija, that's why you're talking like this. A first class math graduate, believe you me, does not have any need to leave Nigeria, if it is job they are looking for. Trust me on this. Most of such people usually grab one scholarship or the other and jet out sharply.

How many people do you think even graduate with a 2:2 in mathematics, from any Nigerian university? Look, i have a first class graduate of math in my team. he has been promoted twice and his salary increased three times in the last four years, all in a bid to stop him from moving to competition.

I think you're not in Naija, and as such know very little about the job market. So i will educate you a little. Please don't read this as arrogance or whatever, maybe you will see why i am annoyed these days with all these iro nla posts.

- 90% of Nigerian students graduate with 2:2 or below, and less than 2% graduate with a first class in any discipline.
- These multinationals in Nigeria actively recruit top students, because they experience a lot of turnover. PwC, Accenture, E&Y, Deloitte, KPMG. Nowadays we have the likes of Mckinsey and Booz joining the Naija fray, looking for top talent.
- In the last one year, these companies have ramped up their operations in Nigeria: Dell, Microsoft, Oracle, GE, SAP. Some new players have come in: Google, Facebook (yes, they are in Naija), RIM, and now Apple. I shyt you not, these people are actively looking for Nigerian talent.
- Even Rocket Internet Gmbh is now in Nigeria with three or more ecommerce sites (Sabunta.com, kasuwa.com), even Jason Njoku's Iroko Partners are looking for people. I'm telling you, looking for people.

Trust me on this, someone with an excellent grade in Nigeria doesn't have any problem. Even if they don't know where to look, I am happy to point them there. Don't let anybody lie to you. Don't judge by the nonsense posts you see on here. Most of them are taking the piss.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by violent(m): 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
Yeah right, you are off the shores of Nigeria and have seen how sane things are done where you reside. So i think it is fairly human of me to tell the dude to go and experience the same things and when he is satisfied he can choose to return to Nigeria and enjoy the Nigerian dream.

My Post was made while i was merely thinking aloud and would prefer that it's not taken out of context

Second, advising people to travel out for opportunities isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you neglect to balance it with the much realistic view of the environment they are likely to find themselves. Employment aren't readily available abroad like your post seem to suggest. In UK and much of Europe, there are millions of equally smart graduates seeking job opportunities at the moment...At least in Naija where the "smart candidates" pool isn't very occupied, you can afford to wow people with your impressive performance at interviews and job assessments. In the UK, Europe and much of the West, you will be needing more than that, as there are people, probably with higher qualifications than yours seeking for the same positions with the same pay and who probably have native skills and the confidence that comes with it.

Travelling out to further your studies when you have the money is a great thing. One must however learn to manage his or her expectations and dislodge the belief that living somewhere offshore will automatically advance your career prospects in some way!...Most people end up getting sourly disappointed.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 5:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
violent:

My Post was made while i was merely thinking aloud and would prefer that it's not taken out of context

Second, advising people to travel out for opportunities isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you neglect to balance it with the much realistic view of the environment they are likely to find themselves. Employment aren't readily available abroad like your post seem to suggest. In UK and much of Europe, there are millions of equally smart graduates seeking job opportunities at the moment...At least in Naija where the "smart candidates" pool isn't very occupied, you can afford to wow people with your impressive performance at interviews and job assessments. In the UK, Europe and much of the West, you will be needing more than that, as there are people, probably with higher qualifications than yours seeking for the same positions with the same pay and who probably have native skills and the confidence that comes with it.

Travelling out to further your studies when you have the money is a great thing. One must however learn to manage his or her expectations and dislodge the belief that living somewhere offshore will automatically advance your career prospects in some way!...Most people end up getting sourly disappointed.

Bro, God bless you.
It is far easier to compete in Nigeria than it is to compete outside. The talent pool in Nigeria is very slim. A lot of people don't even know how this foreign degree craze started. I will fill everyone in happily.

When the multinationals could not find enough talented Nigerian graduates, they started actively pursuing Nigerians who are working abroad, in a bid to bring them back home. Of course every mediocre student has tried to jump on this supposed bandwagon by running to places as far-flung as Malaysia to pick up some nondescript degrees, but many have ended up frustrated. Someone I know just returned from the UK with a masters in management - to pick up a job with a telco as a call center agent.

I re-iterate again. Anyone on NL with a first class degree in mathematics, looking to work in Nigeria, should contact me, if he or she doesn't know where to go. I will happily direct such a person to where they will get a job, the kind of job where they will visit Europe and America on business and training, till they are tired of seeing the inside of aircraft. I'm not kidding.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
Mehn! have missed a lot o, sincerely what you guys are thrashing out is for the better of these recent graduates (plus me) that thinks that in order to be green, one must be out of nigeria, for real, all that a.j pointed out are real, the coming of foreign investors, tech companies, big firms(not having branches here before) and foreign private equity firms (like rocket internet gmbh and others) into naija says it all and they all need young chaps to help get firm here.
Like recently, i was having a chat with the talent acquisition officer of rocket internet (based in S.A) and she told me of the different internship and other positions available, she even said they'd prefer those that schooled in naija to fill those positions available in their new business in naija 'kasuwa'. So i think the mentality has to change. Although, if the chance is there, i will gladly take it so far there is guarantee that a good job is there after the programme, not that i'll start the crazy job hunting journey which is really crazy because of the factors highlighted by violent.

Seriously, am not a fan of jetting outside the shores because of green pasture, while there are oppurtunities (both job and investment) here.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by chamber2(m): 6:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
Aj,

You are completely on point. However, i think you are being harsh somehow this daysgrin

I think what Nigerian graduates need, irrespective of the class of their degree, is information and a sort of mentoring. This is obviously in short supply in 9ja. I was a victim of the craze for ''foreign'' degree. In fact, i got called by any good organisation you can think of, including the likes of chevron, kpmg, BAT etc upon graduation. But i insanely left these opportunities to pursue a foreign paper.

For someone with a first in mathematics i think the opportunities are endless. Firstly, acing an aptitude test won't be much of a problem, and at the interview, the perception that a first class graduate is almost always ''the best'' will play out.

However, if he is the knowledge hungry fellow he could consider opportunities in reputable institutions abroad, especially when such are on scholarship.

[s]you emphasised the first and the 2.2s what of the 2.1s? where are they in your equation?[/s]
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 6:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
If i have the resources, i can go get a foreign masters degree in one of the best universities in the west and not the mediocre ones, then that might help to get a good placement after the program there, if not, then a mba from lagos business school or m.sc from a federal university will do.
I hope i definitely won't eat my words later.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 6:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
chamber2: Aj,

You are completely on point. However, i think you are being harsh somehow this daysgrin

I think what Nigerian graduates need, irrespective of the class of their degree, is information and a sort of mentoring. This is obviously in short supply in 9ja. I was a victim of the craze for ''foreign'' degree. In fact, i got called by any good organisation you can think of, including the likes of chevron, kpmg, BAT etc upon graduation. But i insanely left these opportunities to pursue a foreign paper.

For someone with a first in mathematics i think the opportunities are endless. Firstly, acing an aptitude test won't be much of a problem, and at the interview, the perception that a first class graduate is almost always ''the best'' will play out.

However, if he is the knowledge hungry fellow he could consider opportunities in reputable institutions abroad, especially when such are on scholarship.

[s]you emphasised the first and the 2.2s what of the 2.1s? where are they in your equation?[/s]

Bros.
I need to be harsh. Apart from Facebook and Twitter, plus Sexuality section on Nairaland, our recent graduates and current undergrads are not doing anything else with their lives. Now they want to run abroad to continue their indolence. They should all be caned, before i even give them any info.

I wish you people know the battle we fight with our oyinbo employers, who are always looking for opportunities to stick a foreigner in our midst, to earn heavy dollars and live in Ikoyi. Na the laws of Nigeria no allow dem.

Plus, I am about to be harsh with you too, my broda. You left opportunities like that to pursue foreign paper?
Foreign paper is not running anywhere. Some organizations are even paying for staff to get foreign paper from solid schools. So many things that can't just be said here on Nairaland. I suppose just dey look as people carry on with their foolishness.

If your popsy has enough money to send you to Harvard, na your luck be that. But if your popsy is like mine, won't you borrow yourself brain?

P.S. 2:1 is almost as good as first class. They will call you to tests and interviews. Now up to you to show your mettle.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by deenee: 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
I am with Ajanlekoko on this one all the way. A lot of people herein first class or not don't have a clue what to do after university and I also think that this going abroad thingy has been over-flogged such that it has no relevance again. No doubt, I am a good by product of a ivy school in the US and I am greatly reaping the benefits but the truth is recently, I have been doing a lot of transactions in Nigeria that are of immerse benefit to me so I won't agree with anybody who feels that there is nothing Nigeria has to offer. Nestle global the parent coy that controls Nestle Nig plc makes over 65 percent of their PAT from sub saharan Africa same also for Diageo. I was in Nigeria sometime around July and was amazed at the kind of big ticket deals that some of my mates without the so called foreign degrees are structuring. One just got a contract to build a mini estate of approx 75 housing units for a 2nd tier up stream O and G coy around Lekki axis. Trust me, I quickly jumped in on the deal and entered into a partnership with him.
More so, he got the job on merit without any connection what so ever.

I think that a lot on this domain who champion the 'go abroad and your life will not remain the same' cause suffer from a 'complex'. This same complex is what makes Phd holders in the so called abroad engage in menial jobs when they can be treated as demigods back home whilst contributing to the growth of our moribund educational system. People need to come back home and see what is happening.

For the poster, I salute the fact that you finished with a first but I have serious doubt about your ability to deliver as you have indicated via your post written in SMS/TEXT language. I will also add this, send me a PM and I could hook you up to commence a GT role with one of the best brokeage firms in Nigeria but bear this in mind- you must be able to create a link between theory and practice for the job to be yours!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by chamber2(m): 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Aj

You see, this craze for foreign paper by employers of labour is still widespread. Like one of the start-up firms you mentioned in your earlier post,Sabunta, 70% of their new recruits are foreign trained and few guys from lagos Business School. Even their MD is Harvard trained. You see what the rush for foreign degree is all about?
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 6:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
chamber2: Aj

You see, this craze for foreign paper by employers of labour is still widespread. Like one of the start-up firms you mentioned in your earlier post,Sabunta, 70% of their new recruits are foreign trained and few guys from lagos Business School. Even their MD is Harvard trained. You see what the rush for foreign degree is all about?

Scroll up to my earlier post, in response to violent, and you will see why.
That thing you mentioned is all people see. Then they start running to Malaysia for degrees.
Have they asked Sabunta what they are looking for? I can tell you authoritatively that it is not foreign degree.

deenee:
I think that a lot on this domain who champion the 'go abroad and your life will not remain the same' cause suffer from a 'complex'. This same complex is what makes Phd holders in the so called abroad engage in menial jobs when they can be treated as demigods back home whilst contributing to the growth of our moribund educational system. People need to come back home and see what is happening.

You need to hear some of the stuff I hear on a regular basis from your fellows abroad.
- There is no light.
- Jonathan is a bad man and the Reps are greedy.
- Boko Haram will kill us all.
- Nigerians are too hungry.

And the one that cracked me up the most - Palms shopping mall has too few shops, my kids will have nowhere to go!
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 6:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Scroll up to my earlier post, in response to violent, and you will see why.
That thing you mentioned is all people see. Then they start running to Malaysia for degrees.
Have they asked Sabunta what they are looking for? I can tell you authoritatively that it is not foreign degree.

You need to hear some of the stuff I hear on a regular basis from your fellows abroad.
- There is no light.
- Jonathan is a bad man and the Reps are greedy.
- Boko Haram will kill us all.
- Nigerians are too hungry.

And the one that cracked me up the most - Palms shopping mall has too few shops, my kids will have nowhere to go!
Bros, i think these excuses are real just that they aren't cogent enough.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by deenee: 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
@ Ajanlekoko, VERY FUNNY!
@ Nitrogen, the excuses are real but there is more corruption in the so called abroad than we have in Nigeria.

The LIBOR saga, money laundering issue with HSBC and other stuff is a good testimony to this. The light issue will soon be a thing of the past and would have been long before now ( as far back as 2001-2002) if Nigerians had supported the initial privatization exercise. If you are following the exercise closely you will see that a group of people at the helm of affairs at NEPA are just delaying the whole exercise for their selfish reasons. How do you explain over 30 billion missing from a closed pension scheme managed by the union guys?

Finally going abroad to study is just 'a means to an end and not an end in its self'
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 7:07pm On Aug 05, 2012
deenee: @ Ajanlekoko, VERY FUNNY!
@ Nitrogen, the excuses are real but there is more corruption in the so called abroad than we have in Nigeria.

The LIBOR saga, money laundering issue with HSBC and other stuff is a good testimony to this. The light issue will soon be a thing of the past and would have been long before now ( as far back as 2001-2002) if Nigerians had supported the initial privatization exercise. If you are following the exercise closely you will see that a group of people at the helm of affairs at NEPA are just delaying the whole exercise for their selfish reasons. How do you explain over 30 billion missing from a closed pension scheme managed by the union guys?

Finally going abroad to study is just 'a means to an end and not an end in its self'

This is very true, i just hope we/they/most wake up to that reality.
Btw, i can assert that it is far worst in the west? Oga o.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by yemmyma: 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2012
While i haven't been around all evening to fuel my points, i won't want to drag this post on. I want to commend all of you with the wisdom you have applied to tackle this burning issue. I believe this thread is not about us who 'know' at this point but those recent grads and undergrads who will step in the same shoe in the nearest future.

What i can say is that the consensus from this thread has to be outlined for those prospective grads so that they don't go about wandering in the career section looking for answers that are not far fetched.

1. Whatever you are studying at school, try your best to come out tops. First class or something close will make your life a lot easier.

2. Before graduation, start researching how you can adapt your current studies in those fields you want to work. For instance, what a maths grad can do in telecoms.

3. Immediately after graduation before (NYSC), go ahead to make a comprehensive finding on reputable organizations that can offer employment in your area of interest. Make a comprehensive list of those and other companies and keep it for the next stage.

4. 2-3 months leading to NYSC graduation, start networking intensely in and outside your state in Nigeria and apply for as much positions as you can find openings for. Be it newspaper, internet, company websites etc During this time, make sure you have GMAT, GRE and TOEFL prep books by your side so that you can write this exams within a reasonable time frame when you are done with NYSC and hoping to be called for job interviews.

5. Whilst you are expecting to be called for an interview on your pending job applications, continue researching top schools and their requirements that are ready to pay for your good grades with a masters scholarship. Please don't go to University of england to study surfing.

6. Sometimes you find yourself expecting so many results at a time (job and scholarships abroad), don't stop there. Do some soul searching and try to come up with something you are good at. This can help brew the entrepreneurship spirit in you. Maybe if you come up with something novel, you can end up bigger than Dangote.

With my post above, I have made an effort not to deter first class students from waiting on that dream job in Nigeria. But don't make your case like this dude who was a bright student up to PhD and was hoping his top grade will earn him a job immediately out of his research studies. He was dealt with a big blow. Read this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2012/aug/03/academic-job-seeking-and-post-doc-unemployment

My advise to you reading this and in need of direction is, always have an exit strategy, whether it is sweet or bitter, good or bad. You won't want to work in a bank for four years and be made redundant with no where to turn to thereafter.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by antitpiah: 7:28am On Aug 06, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You missed like 75% of my post.
I think you're not in naija, that's why you're talking like this. A first class math graduate, believe you me, does not have any need to leave Nigeria, if it is job they are looking for. Trust me on this. Most of such people usually grab one scholarship or the other and jet out sharply.

How many people do you think even graduate with a 2:2 in mathematics, from any Nigerian university? Look, i have a first class graduate of math in my team. he has been promoted twice and his salary increased three times in the last four years, all in a bid to stop him from moving to competition.

I think you're not in Naija, and as such know very little about the job market. So i will educate you a little. Please don't read this as arrogance or whatever, maybe you will see why i am annoyed these days with all these iro nla posts.

- 90% of Nigerian students graduate with 2:2 or below, and less than 2% graduate with a first class in any discipline.
- These multinationals in Nigeria actively recruit top students, because they experience a lot of turnover. PwC, Accenture, E&Y, Deloitte, KPMG. Nowadays we have the likes of Mckinsey and Booz joining the Naija fray, looking for top talent.
- In the last one year, these companies have ramped up their operations in Nigeria: Dell, Microsoft, Oracle, GE, SAP. Some new players have come in: Google, Facebook (yes, they are in Naija), RIM, and now Apple. I shyt you not, these people are actively looking for Nigerian talent.
- Even Rocket Internet Gmbh is now in Nigeria with three or more ecommerce sites (Sabunta.com, kasuwa.com), even Jason Njoku's Iroko Partners are looking for people. I'm telling you, looking for people.

Trust me on this, someone with an excellent grade in Nigeria doesn't have any problem. Even if they don't know where to look, I am happy to point them there. Don't let anybody lie to you. Don't judge by the nonsense posts you see on here. Most of them are taking the piss.

I am enjoying your posts nowadays. Keep it up boss. You tha best!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Rare(m): 7:49am On Aug 06, 2012
Wow ! Excellent advise has been provided for the poster. Great thread so far !

To be honest he has opportunity to pursue both options presented: a career in Nigeria and the "foreign paper" craze. It does not have to be an either/or decision.

A good variety of consulting firms in search of his kind of profile have been presented. If he gets a foot in there & works for a while in Nigeria to start a career, that would be a perfect start in my opinion. If he still feels like research studies abroad later on, it is all fine.

I did both (in that order).....has its ups and downs, but I don't have to answer any "what if" questions in my life anymore.
His credential allows him pursue all options; listen to wise advise and step up your game. People with seemingly lower credentials have achieved awesome things.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by chamber2(m): 9:31am On Aug 06, 2012
Hi Rare!

It's been awhile.

Am sure you must have grabbed your foreign kpali by now

All the best

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days / Promotion Racket Rocks Road Safety / What Are The Necessary Steps I Can Take To Be A Commercial Pilot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.