Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,685 members, 7,809,590 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers (12382 Views)

Beats By Dr. Dre Monster Headphones For Music Professionals And Music Lovers / Pastor E.a Adeboye Classical Messages / Classical Music Is Better Than Rap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
which of these opera singers is/are your favourite(s)? Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Sarah Brightman, Placido Domingo, Rolando Villazon, Pretty Yende etc? please include your favourites if they were not mentioned. . . as for me i say Pavarotti and Andrea!!!
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
Me too, I love Boccelli and Pavarotti. Probably because I haven't listened to others. Lol. But Pavarotti's Che Gelida Manina trips me everytime.
And in classical, I love Bach, Mahler, Beethoven and Mozart.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
SimonAndal: Me too, I love Boccelli and Pavarotti. Probably because I haven't listened to others. Lol. But Pavarotti's Che Gelida Manina trips me everytime.
in classical, i think Handel is the man but i have a lot of respect for Mozart too.that young man was a genius! his compositions were wicked!!
what do you think of Pavaratti's rendering of 'Nessun Dorma' as compared to Andrea's own rendition?
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by mkmyers45(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
SimonAndal: Me too, I love Boccelli and Pavarotti. Probably because I haven't listened to others. Lol. But Pavarotti's Che Gelida Manina trips me everytime.
Beethoven and Mozart are eternal..esp. mozart no 9
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by osifred(m): 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
George Frederick Handel. His hallelujah/messiah composition is out of this world. his songs are about 250 years old yet they are evergreen as though they was rendered only yesterday. give it also to Luciano Pavarotti. that guy is good.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Onegai(f): 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
J.S. Bach, because that man' music is like rock music: awesome. And for Tenors, go back to Franco Corelli. He made Pavarotti sound like an italian gondolier singer, compare their versions of "Nessum Dorma". I like Hayley Westenra, she has perfect pitch and stunning control. Has anyone ever heard Vaugh-Williams "Fantasia on Greensleeves" and Mascagni "Intermezzo, Cavalleria Rusticana"? Beautiful and haunting.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 06, 2012
Onegai: J.S. Bach, because that man' music is like rock music: awesome. And for Tenors, go back to Franco Corelli. He made Pavarotti sound like an italian gondolier singer, compare their versions of "Nessum Dorma". I like Hayley Westenra, she has perfect pitch and stunning control. Has anyone ever heard Vaugh-Williams "Fantasia on Greensleeves" and Mascagni "Intermezzo, Cavalleria Rusticana"? Beautiful and haunting.
i have heard that of Corelli and i still think Pavarotti's version is the best. Pavarotti did it with so much passion and power. Corelli has power in his voice but there was not much passion in it. i like Bach too especially his own version of Ave maria. one thing with Handel is that he did a lot of compositions, much more than any other composer i think and that for me gives him the edge above any other.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Onegai(f): 6:06am On Aug 07, 2012
@ brokoto: maybe so, but Pavarotti might be the last of the great tenors in this generation. And he came at a time when everyone sounded great due to technology. Corelli and Manon, Callas and co had to fill a theatre with their voices. They still get my respect.

Most of th popular composers are from the Baroque era. Try and listen to other stuff, in our time, the film score composers (Zimmerman, John Williams, Ennicone, Vangelis, John Murphy) are doing a great job.

Any love here for Tchaikovsky?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 07, 2012
Onegai: @ brokoto: maybe so, but Pavarotti might be the last of the great tenors in this generation. And he came at a time when everyone sounded great due to technology. Corelli and Manon, Callas and co had to fill a theatre with their voices. They still get my respect.

Most of th popular composers are from the Baroque era. Try and listen to other stuff, in our time, the film score composers (Zimmerman, John Williams, Ennicone, Vangelis, John Murphy) are doing a great job.

tchaikovsky's pieces where kinda fast (dracula music Lol). But he was great. Brahms too. I believe Felix mendelson is greatly underrated. Maria callas et al are the lost ones - i doubt if we can ever have anyone else like them. But in the modern era i dont joke with katherine jenkins, kiri kaganawa, miri benari and..... Y'all know who i have in mind.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 07, 2012
brokoto: i have heard that of Corelli and i still think Pavarotti's version is the best. Pavarotti did it with so much passion and power. Corelli has power in his voice but there was not much passion in it. i like Bach too especially his own version of Ave maria. one thing with Handel is that he did a lot of compositions, much more than any other composer i think and that for me gives him the edge above any other.
handel's work mainly were influenced by a trending fad. Like most composers of that era (even onwadays) he was trying to conform to what his patrons wanted. Most of his works had that very common pattern - very predictable.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
Onegai: @ brokoto: maybe so, but Pavarotti might be the last of the great tenors in this generation. And he came at a time when everyone sounded great due to technology. Corelli and Manon, Callas and co had to fill a theatre with their voices. They still get my respect.

sorry to say but i virtually have no respect for modern composers. i think they are trying to mix pop and rock into their compositions. for me Yanni kinda stands out because he still incorporates many elements from the classical and baroque era. i also think Pavarrotti, Placido and the rest were the end of a generation. a new generation of opera singers are emerging, with the likes of Jennkins, Sarah Brightman, and of course Andrea Bocelli.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
djmally: handel's work mainly were influenced by a trending fad. Like most composers of that era (even nowadays) he was trying to conform to what his patrons wanted. Most of his works had that very common pattern - very predictable.
Handel, like many other artists of their era depended mostly on their patrons for support and its only logical that they would copmpose what would suit their patrons. this was applicable to all other artists, including Da vinci, michelangelo and the like.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Onegai(f): 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
Let's revive this thread!
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
Onegai: Let's revive this thread!
seconded! any more contributions?
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
I need a link to download isaac stern's studio works. The ones ve listened to are concert recordings. Any help will be appreciated
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by overboard(m): 12:08am On Aug 14, 2012
@brokoto plz post ur email here or ur numbr if u plz to richgamutonline@yahoo.com. I nid a tenor. Tnx.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
overboard: @brokoto plz post ur email here or ur numbr if u plz to richgamutonline@yahoo.com. I nid a tenor. Tnx.
i will e-mail you with this e-mail you sent.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Onegai(f): 9:11pm On Aug 16, 2012
Please listen to the less-known composers like Elgar, Debussy, Mascagni and Sarasate.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 17, 2012
Onegai: Please listen to the less-known composers like Elgar, Debussy, Mascagni and Sarasate.
your reason being......
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 17, 2012
djmally: your reason being......
her reason being that although they are not as well known as the others, they are still great. Mascagni for example. I dont know much about the others but i'll look them up. . .
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2012
Mehn nigeria aint europe na. I love buying classicals on cds (vinyls still rocks anyday). Getting those works at music shops is goin be hard like getting okadigbo's anthologies.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by deloon(m): 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2012
I love Sarah Brightman. Her voice is heavenly
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2012
djmally: Mehn nigeria aint europe na. I love buying classicals on cds (vinyls still rocks anyday). Getting those works at music shops is goin be hard like getting okadigbo's anthologies.
if you stay at PH, they are pretty easy to get hold of. i could give you directions to shops there if you are interested
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by ayox2003: 9:27pm On Aug 25, 2012

Any love here for[b] Tchaikovsky[/b]?

John Williams Starwars theme is not bad. I listen to it quite often.

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites. George Handel rocks too. How he composed the Halleluyah Chorus is one which I'd find very difficult to forget.

OP, thanks for this thread. I had to use the search bar. Well my best is Vivaldi's Four Season : Summer.

You guys should try something from Bruno Coulais too. He is a french composer. I love his Vous sur ton Chemin.

Classical and chorals are my thing any day.

Frawzey.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 10:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
Me is A̷̷̴̐͠ dude. A̷̷̴̐͠ classical singer too. M basically A̷̷̴̐͠ countertenor. M in love with high voices though. Y'αℓℓ need to listen to singers like joyce didonato, cecilia bartoli,elina garanca etc. They're αℓℓ mezzos. I love cecilia cos her coloratura is wicked. She sings So̶̷̩̥̊͡ effortlessly nd sometimes sings soprano repertoires. As for sopranos I like sumi jo, natalie dessay,edda moser etc. Der jst So̶̷̩̥̊͡ many. Listen to sumi jo's ave maria(caccini) her piannissimos on high notes r crazzzzie. For tenors always liked pavarotti nd brocelli. Nw y'αℓℓ must listen to some countertenors m sure U̶̲̥̅̊'ll get goosebumps if U̶̲̥̅̊ watch 'em sing(proub to b one). Will b singin but who mat abide ( G.F Handel) for my skul's preconvocation concert. M workin on ma coloratura.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:27am On Aug 28, 2012
iventi:
Me is A̷̷̴̐͠ dude. A̷̷̴̐͠ classical singer too. M basically A̷̷̴̐͠ countertenor. M in love with high voices though. Y'αℓℓ need to listen to singers like joyce didonato, cecilia bartoli,elina garanca etc. They're αℓℓ mezzos. I love cecilia cos her coloratura is wicked. She sings So̶̷̩̥̊͡ effortlessly nd sometimes sings soprano repertoires. As for sopranos I like sumi jo, natalie dessay,edda moser etc. Der jst So̶̷̩̥̊͡ many. Listen to sumi jo's ave maria(caccini) her piannissimos on high notes r crazzzzie. For tenors always liked pavarotti nd brocelli. Nw y'αℓℓ must listen to some countertenors m sure U̶̲̥̅̊'ll get goosebumps if U̶̲̥̅̊ watch 'em sing(proub to b one). Will b singin but who may abide ( G.F Handel) for my skul's preconvocation concert. M workin on ma coloratura.
is that not an alto piece? anyway, have you listened to Joan Sutherland? the greatest soprano to ever live, no jokes.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2012
brokoto: is that not an alto piece? anyway, have you listened to Joan Sutherland? the greatest soprano to ever live, no jokes.
its an alto piece yeah. Find awt d kind of songs countertenros sing,mainly song for alto or mezzo voice nd sometimes soprano. Jst find awt bout d voice type k. I knew joan sutherland well. Av A̷̷̴̐͠ video of her singing gli ugonotti lieto. Got soo many videos. Nd do find awt bout d countertenor voice k.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 30, 2012
iventi: its an alto piece yeah. Find awt d kind of songs countertenros sing,mainly song for alto or mezzo voice nd sometimes soprano. Jst find awt bout d voice type k. I knew joan sutherland well. Av A̷̷̴̐͠ video of her singing gli ugonotti lieto. Got soo many videos. Nd do find awt bout d countertenor voice k.
i find it quite difficult to understand your posts. you could spell out instead of awt for example. its the same number of letters. just saying

1 Like

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2012
brokoto: i find it quite difficult to understand your posts. you could spell out instead of awt for example. its the same number of letters. just saying
yeah noted. Tis(it is) out(awt) from now on. New development. I'll ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ longer be singing' but who may abide' instead will be doing A̷̷̴̐͠ duet with A̷̷̴̐͠ soprano lady. D duet is flower duet from the opera lakme. Working on my french cos its in french. I'll be singing the mezzo part.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by CHAIRMAN1(m): 10:31pm On Aug 30, 2012
Enters thread... Gets lost. shocked
Can't understand Naada, too many jargons....I love music.... All genres....my best genres are highlife and pop. I know the 3 tenors, know george handel etc but u guys make me feel like an illiterate in this school of Classical music undecided... I take to my heels embarassed
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 31, 2012
iventi: yeah noted. Tis(it is) out(awt) from now on. New development. I'll ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ longer be singing' but who may abide' instead will be doing A̷̷̴̐͠ duet with A̷̷̴̐͠ soprano lady. D duet is flower duet from the opera lakme. Working on my french cos its in french. I'll be singing the mezzo part.
ok. i actually did that song last month (July), although we were 4 people that did. i and a soprano and then an alto with a counter tenor. nice piece. i have a video of it by Joan Sutherland but i cant seem to be able to upload it here. dunno why
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 31, 2012
brokoto: ok. i actually did that song last month (July), although we were 4 people that did. i and a soprano and then an alto with a counter tenor. nice piece. i have a video of it by Joan Sutherland but i cant seem to be able to upload it here. dunno why

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download Naija Mix 2008 (CLOSED) | http://wetin-dey.com / Video: Flavour – Dance / DOWNLOAD MP3: Cblvck Ft Naira Marley - Baby Kingsway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.