Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,793 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers (12394 Views)

Beats By Dr. Dre Monster Headphones For Music Professionals And Music Lovers / Pastor E.a Adeboye Classical Messages / Classical Music Is Better Than Rap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 7:01am On Aug 31, 2012
brokoto: ok. i actually did that song last month (July), although we were 4 people that did. i and a soprano and then an alto with a counter tenor. nice piece. i have a video of it by Joan Sutherland but i cant seem to be able to upload it here. dunno why
cool! D performance's next week wednesday though. U̶̲̥̅̊ rily have A̷̷̴̐͠ thing for joan sutherland. She's great though. Joyce didonato is one lady I rily rily love. Ever heard katherine jenkins? I dnt know why I feel she's not So̶̷̩̥̊͡ good. Maybe because she's A̷̷̴̐͠ crossover singer but dats only my opinion.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
iventi: cool! D performance's next week wednesday though. U̶̲̥̅̊ rily have A̷̷̴̐͠ thing for joan sutherland. She's great though. Joyce didonato is one lady I rily rily love. Ever heard katherine jenkins? I dnt know why I feel she's not So̶̷̩̥̊͡ good. Maybe because she's A̷̷̴̐͠ crossover singer but dats only my opinion.
i concor with you. I dont think she's that good. Sarah Brightman is better but she is more successful and popular than sarah brightman. You need to watch Joan Sutherland on youtube. she's awesome!
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 11:37pm On Aug 31, 2012
brokoto: i concor with you. I dont think she's that good. Sarah Brightman is better but she is more successful and popular than sarah brightman. You need to watch Joan Sutherland on youtube. she's awesome!
just downloaded two videos of A̷̷̴̐͠ 'wicked' contralto. She' EWA PODLES. She's A̷̷̴̐͠ coloratura contralto. Her range is extreme for A̷̷̴̐͠ contralto, imagine A2 - D6(according to wikipedia) she's baaaaad! Her low notes sound So̶̷̩̥̊͡ full Δåτ̲̅ I feel em down my spine. Her coloratura is crazy! Some singers can make one feel So̶̷̩̥̊͡ unlearned especially in d coloratura dept. About the jenkins issue most times I feel I sing better than her classsically. I have A̷̷̴̐͠ video of brightman singing with america's got talent kid jackie evancho. I didn't like her singin der. Her vibrato der was unappealling to ♍ƺ. Bt still dats only my opinion.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 03, 2012
iventi: just downloaded two videos of A̷̷̴̐͠ 'wicked' contralto. She' EWA PODLES. She's A̷̷̴̐͠ coloratura contralto. Her range is extreme for A̷̷̴̐͠ contralto, imagine A2 - D6(according to wikipedia) she's baaaaad! Her low notes sound So̶̷̩̥̊͡ full Δåτ̲̅ I feel em down my spine. Her coloratura is crazy! Some singers can make one feel So̶̷̩̥̊͡ unlearned especially in d coloratura dept. About the jenkins issue most times I feel I sing better than her classsically. I have A̷̷̴̐͠ video of brightman singing with america's got talent kid jackie evancho. I didn't like her singin der. Her vibrato der was unappealling to ♍ƺ. Bt still dats only my opinion.
yea, she wasn't that spectacular in that video although i think she was trying to let the little girl shine. check up her other videos, especially TIME TO SAY GOODBYE that she did with Andrea Bocelli and NELLA FANTASIA. i'll check up on Ewa podles sha. let us know how your performance went o!
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Onegai(f): 7:57pm On Sep 03, 2012
CHAIRMAN1: Enters thread... Gets lost. shocked
Can't understand Naada, too many jargons....I love music.... All genres....my best genres are highlife and pop. I know the 3 tenors, know george handel etc but u guys make me feel like an illiterate in this school of Classical music undecided... I take to my heels embarassed

grin grin grin grin come back na, me too I don't understand everything.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2012
@iventi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xuzkPjhNAo. this is the video i promised before.
Translation
:Under the dense canopy
Where the white jasmine
Blends with the rose
On the flowering bank
Laughing at the morning
Come, let us drift down together
Let us gently glide along
With the enchanting flow
Of the fleeing current
On the rippling surface
With a lazy hand
Let us reach the shore
Where the source sleeps
And the bird sings
Under the dense canopy
Under the white jasmine
Let us drift down together
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 8:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
brokoto: @iventi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xuzkPjhNAo. this is the video i promised before.
Translation
:Under the dense canopy
Where the white jasmine
Blends with the rose
On the flowering bank
Laughing at the morning
Come, let us drift down together
Let us gently glide along
With the enchanting flow
Of the fleeing current
On the rippling surface
With a lazy hand
Let us reach the shore
Where the source sleeps
And the bird sings
Under the dense canopy
Under the white jasmine
Let us drift down together
will watch it. Dats d song I'll be doin with A̷̷̴̐͠ soprano lady tomorrow. Today's dress rehearsal got us an 'encore'. I hope twill b better tomorrow.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by MaxDick9ja: 12:48am On Sep 07, 2012
You guys heard of Schubert? His got one wicked version of Ave Maria that was used as a theme song for Ninja Assassin... Thought I also heard it on an episode in one three hill too
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 07, 2012
MaxDick9ja: You guys heard of Schubert? His got one wicked version of Ave Maria that was used as a theme song for Ninja Assassin... Thought I also heard it on an episode in one three hill too
yea. thats my favourite version of the song. i prefer it to the other version by Bach. i think Pavarrotti has performed it. it might be on youtube if you search for it.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by AjanleKoko: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2012
Interesting.
I am more into renaissance and baroque music. Renaissance dance music from the Mediterranean in particular.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by since1914(m): 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2012
Am impressed by how much you guys know about classical music and the Opera. I don't know much about classical music but I do like it. Yanni remains one of my favourite, and I have tons of his work. For the older guys like Handel, Wolfgang Amadeus and co, I probably won't be able to differntiate one from another unless I was told.
First listened to Pavarotti while I was living in Florence, because an old friend of mine was obsessed with him and she made us all like him.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
brokoto: which of these opera singers is/are your favourite(s)? Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Sarah Brightman, Placido Domingo, Rolando Villazon, Pretty Yende etc? please include your favourites if they were not mentioned. . . as for me i say Pavarotti and Andrea!!!
Bocelli and Brightman!!

You should hear Brightman in "Phantom of the Opera", and her numerous duets with Bocelli...wow!! shocked. "Canto de la Terra" with Bocelli gives me goose bumps everytime I listen to it. Her voice was so...beautiful. In "Nella Fantasia", her voice was haunting. I love Brightman. And to crown it, she is still very beautiful and going strong at 52 smiley

Andre Bocelli is in a class of his own. In classics like "Time to say Goodbye", "Funiculi Funicular" and "Melodrama", you find yourself drawn in... I can't describe it. Even in Wasimi, my Philistine students who have never listened to classical music listened to his rendition of "Power of love" and fell instantly in love...with him!! cheesy. And to think that beautiful, beautiful voice comes from a blind man.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:09pm On Sep 12, 2012
osifred: George Frederick Handel. His hallelujah/messiah composition is out of this world. his songs are about 250 years old yet they are evergreen as though they was rendered only yesterday. give it also to Luciano Pavarotti. that guy is good.
I first listened to Luciano Pavarotti in a duet with Celine Dion- "I hate you then I love you". I had no idea who sang the song but I fell in love with it. For many years I wondered who sang the song,but several months back, I decided to google it, and voila,I was introduced to Luciano Pavarotti! smiley. Beautiful song
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:11pm On Sep 12, 2012
since_1914: Am impressed by how much you guys know about classical music and the Opera. I don't know much about classical music but I do like it. Yanni remains one of my favourite, and I have tons of his work. For the older guys like Handel, Wolfgang Amadeus and co, I probably won't be able to differntiate one from another unless I was told.
Yanni isn't classical; he is New Age cool

1 Like

Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
brokoto: if you stay at PH, they are pretty easy to get hold of. i could give you directions to shops there if you are interested
It reminds me of a time I was in Ondo town for 'shopping' tongue. I walked into a music shop and asked for Kenny G. The attendant went into the shop to get it and when he emerged,behold, he brought Terry G and insisted I would like it. The dude had never heard of Kenny G. Lol.cheesy

In these era of junk music,getting a hold of good old classical music is very difficult, especially in the area of The Gidi where I reside.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ishilove:
Bocelli and Brightman!!

You should hear Brightman in "Phantom of the Opera", and her numerous duets with Bocelli...wow!! shocked. "Canto de la Terra" with Bocelli gives me goose bumps everytime I listen to it. Her voice was so...beautiful. In "Nella Fantasia", her voice was haunting. I love Brightman. And to crown it, she is still very beautiful and going strong at 52 smiley

Andre Bocelli is in a class of his own. In classics like "Time to say Goodbye", "Funiculi Funicular" and "Melodrama", you find yourself drawn in... I can't describe it. Even in Wasimi, my Philistine students who have never listened to classical music listened to his rendition of "Power of love" and fell instantly in love...with him!! cheesy. And to think that beautiful, beautiful voice comes from a blind man.

cry con te partiro
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:30pm On Sep 12, 2012
BoboYekini: cry con te partiro
English,ma niqqa undecided
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 12, 2012
tongue i love pavarotti's rendition of the UEFA Champions league theme song. soulful.
soulsista kiss
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
iventi: cool! D performance's next week wednesday though. U̶̲̥̅̊ rily have A̷̷̴̐͠ thing for joan sutherland. She's great though. Joyce didonato is one lady I rily rily love. Ever heard katherine jenkins? I dnt know why I feel she's not So̶̷̩̥̊͡ good. Maybe because she's A̷̷̴̐͠ crossover singer but dats only my opinion.
Your opinion indeed. Have you heard her rendition of "The Flower Duet" with Kiri te Kanawa?? It is the best rendition I have ever listened to. A pure classic. Vocally I take Brightman any day, but Katherine still remains a powerful singer
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 8:41pm On Sep 12, 2012
BoboYekini: tongue i love pavarotti's rendition of the UEFA Champions league theme song. soulful.
soulsista kiss
Lol!! cheesy
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
Hey, how would you guys class Enya? Her music knocks me on my ass mostly.

"Time to say Goodbye" couldn't possibly have an equal, could it? Just remembering the number is turning my mind to mush. Gawd!!! Classical music can kill.

I think I'm a counter tenor, but I've grown way too lazy. I never sing anymore. Don't even remember to want to sad But I am crazy about music and hate the fact that the good type is so wanting in Naija.

Anybody gimme a list of anything on a par with Andre Bocelli? Wanna see if I can rob that bank tomorrow and go get me some music undecided
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ishilove:
Bocelli and Brightman!!

You should hear Brightman in 1 "Phantom of the Opera", and her numerous duets with Bocelli...wow!! shocked. 2"Canto de la Terra" with Bocelli gives me goose bumps everytime I listen to it. Her voice was so...beautiful. In 3 "Nella Fantasia", her voice was haunting. I love Brightman. And to crown it, she is still very beautiful and going strong at 52 smiley

Andre Bocelli is in a class of his own. In classics like 4 "Time to say Goodbye", 5 "Funiculi Funicular" and 6 "Melodrama", you find yourself drawn in... I can't describe it. Even in Wasimi, my Philistine students who have never listened to classical music listened to his rendition of "Power of love" and fell instantly in love...with him!! cheesy. And to think that beautiful, beautiful voice comes from a blind man.

ishilooooove kiss kiss kiss u don come catch me for my thread abi?
ok i have the score of 1, i have the mp3 and video of 2,3,4, and 6! how bout that? and more sha
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 4:04am On Sep 13, 2012
Ihedinobi: Hey, how would you guys class Enya? Her music knocks me on my ass mostly.

"Time to say Goodbye" couldn't possibly have an equal, could it? Just remembering the number is turning my mind to mush. Gawd!!! Classical music can kill.

I think I'm a counter tenor, but I've grown way too lazy. I never sing anymore. Don't even remember to want to sad But I am crazy about music and hate the fact that the good type is so wanting in Naija.
Enya is ... I don't even know where to place her...

Nwoke,we are in the same shoes grin. I think I'm an alto; can't be too sure. When I sing everybody begs me to stop,so when I'm in the mood to annoy my family,I take a deep breath, open my mouth wide and let it rip!! cheesy cheesy
brokoto: ishilooooove kiss kiss kiss u don come catch me for my thread abi?
ok i have the score of 1, i have the mp3 and video of 2,3,4, and 6! how bout that? and more sha
Ehn,e good. Now I'm jealous angry
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Enigma(m): 8:49am On Sep 13, 2012
Just seeing this thread (joys of following Ishilove)

Just a couple of quick comments.

Opera singers from brokoto's list: I like Pavarotti --- his range and the 'ease' with which he used to perform, quite briliiant; very much like Bocelli too --- his voice is just beautiful to listen to; and I really like that duet of his with Bryn Terfel

Composers ---- obviously, the major ones are all incredible but I like to make special mention of just two: Handel for majesty, grandiosity and sometimes simple melodiousness; Bach for incredible and (possibly unsurpassed and unsurpassable) technical brilliance, the guy has too many good "joints" to mention but one I'd like to is his Passacaglia and Fugue . . . . . . . hmmm dreamy eyes already. smiley
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 10:01am On Sep 13, 2012
Enigma: Just seeing this thread (joys of following Ishilove)

Just a couple of quick comments.

Opera singers from brokoto's list: I like Pavarotti --- his range and the 'ease' with which he used to perform, quite briliiant; very much like Bocelli too --- his voice is just beautiful to listen to; and I really like that duet of his with Bryn Terfel

Composers ---- obviously, the major ones are all incredible but I like to make special mention of just two: Handel for majesty, grandiosity and sometimes simple melodiousness; Bach for incredible and (possibly unsurpassed and unsurpassable) technical brilliance, the guy has too many good "joints" to mention but one I'd like to is his Passacaglia and Fugue . . . . . . . hmmm dreamy eyes already. smiley
grin
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Lyth: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2012
Ihedinobi: Hey, how would you guys class Enya? Her music knocks me on my ass mostly.

Anybody gimme a list of anything on a par with Andre Bocelli? Wanna see if I can rob that bank tomorrow and go get me some music undecided

Gee! Enya is da bomb dude!!! ....wld rate her 10/10, her genre is contemporary new-age though. U shld try her sister as well Moya/Maire Brennan ....her "perfect time" n "dnt give up"(a duet on par wit "time 2 say goodbye"wink kills me always_ethereal is wat her singing is.
As 4 classicals, give Hayley Westenra a try ...
Ow did I get here again? Oh! tanx ishilove.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Ishilove: 10:27am On Sep 13, 2012
Lyth:

Gee! Enya is da bomb dude!!! ....wld rate her 10/10, her genre is contemporary new-age though. U shld try her sister as well Moya/Maire Brennan ....her "perfect time" n "dnt give up"(a duet on par wit "time 2 say goodbye"wink kills me always_ethereal is wat her singing is.
Nawa o, I don become star grin grin

You're welcome smiley
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by iventi(m): 8:00am On Sep 14, 2012
Ishilove:
Your opinion indeed. Have you heard her rendition of "The Flower Duet" with Kiri te Kanawa?? It is the best rendition I have ever listened to. A pure classic. Vocally I take Brightman any day, but Katherine still remains a powerful singer
I have actually listened to it nd I knw its quite gud since dame kiri is in it. I also have A̷̷̴̐͠ lot of mp3 by jenkins bt she never impresses ♍ƺ. I have A̷̷̴̐͠ video of her singing 'una voce poco fa' nd at A̷̷̴̐͠ point started laughing especially wen she did d 'carrrrr ma!' part. She comes across as pop-ish to ♍ƺ. Have bout six videos and mp3s of Δåτ̲̅ same aria by singers like sutherland, didonato(awwww!love_eeee), garanca(love), and d amelita galli-curci nd katherine's was plain childish nd pop-ish to ♍ƺ( not A̷̷̴̐͠ katherine hater). Well dats only my opinion. U̶̲̥̅̊ shld listen to cecilia bartoli she's great. Her coloratura is wicked. Her '‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ I'll take ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ less is rily cul(bt prefer kathleen battle's). I love em coloratura sopranos . Mado robin was one soprano with A̷̷̴̐͠ killer range. Natalie dessay is great too. Jst too many of 'em.
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2012
Lyth:

You the man, man. smiley Thanks a mil. Don't think I've ever heard Enya's sister but looks like I'm gonna go hunting considering the comparison with "time to say goodbye". Thanks for the classical too
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by ayox2003: 1:20pm On Sep 15, 2012
Ishilove:
It reminds me of a time I was in Ondo town for 'shopping' tongue. I walked into a music shop and asked for Kenny G. The attendant went into the shop to get it and when he emerged,behold, he brought Terry G and insisted I would like it. The dude had never heard of Kenny G. Lol.cheesy

In these era of junk music,getting a hold of good old classical music is very difficult, especially in the area of The Gidi where I reside.

No. Download 'em at 4shared.com

Lyrical genius. Filmscore guru. Listen to her Book of Days and tell me what you think
Lyth:

Blood sister? Really. I'mma GTS now.

iventi: I have actually listened to it nd I knw its quite gud since dame kiri is in it. I also have A̷̷̴̐͠ lot of mp3 by jenkins bt she never impresses ♍ƺ. I have A̷̷̴̐͠ video of her singing 'una voce poco fa' nd at A̷̷̴̐͠ point started laughing especially wen she did d 'carrrrr ma!' part. She comes across as pop-ish to ♍ƺ. Have bout six videos and mp3s of Δåτ̲̅ same aria by singers like sutherland, didonato(awwww!love_eeee), garanca(love), and d amelita galli-curci nd katherine's was plain childish nd pop-ish to ♍ƺ( not A̷̷̴̐͠ katherine hater). Well dats only my opinion. U̶̲̥̅̊ shld listen to cecilia bartoli she's great. Her coloratura is wicked. Her '‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ I'll take ‎​No̶̷̩̥̊͡ less is rily cul(bt prefer kathleen battle's). I love em coloratura sopranos . Mado robin was one soprano with A̷̷̴̐͠ killer range. Natalie dessay is great too. Jst too many of 'em.

Inasmuch as I would have loved to read ur posts, they give headaches. Kindly deactivate the autotext function, pls. Thanks.

Frawzey
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Lyth: 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
Ihedinobi:

You the man, man. smiley Thanks a mil. Don't think I've ever heard Enya's sister but looks like I'm gonna go hunting considering the comparison with "time to say goodbye". Thanks for the classical too

U welc bro ....wld ve uploaded sm of her stuffs but ma SD jst got corrupted n ma back-up flash aint wiv moi ....
Re: Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers by Lyth: 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2012
ayox2003:

Lyrical genius. Filmscore guru. Listen to her Book of Days and tell me what you think

Blood sister? Really. I'mma GTS now.

Book of days is 1 amongst many bro cos all her songs r super tyt wit deep lyrical content, I get wat u mean on book of days though but d 1 dat kills me romantically is "on your shore" .... And yup, her blood sis ...u knw clannad (grp Enya broke frm)is made up of her family mostly n they r almost all musical artistes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Video: Flavour – Dance / Meek Mill – Issues Mp3 Download / DOWNLOAD MP3: Cblvck Ft Naira Marley - Baby Kingsway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.