Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,607 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold (8004 Views)

Tyson Fury Defeats Wladimir Klitschko / Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title / Rafael Nadal Vs Roger Federer Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by topeorekoy(m): 4:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
Won 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 on Wimbledon's Centre Court
Victory came exactly four weeks after grand slam defeat to same player

Andy Murray hailed 'the biggest win of his life' after beating Roger Federer to claim Olympic gold.

Just four weeks on from a painful defeat in the Wimbledon final at the hands of the Swiss star, he exacted revenge in convincing style, winning 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 on Centre Court.

As he clinched victory with an ace, he fell to his haunches, almost breaking down in tears before composing himself to climb up to the players' box to celebrate with his girlfriend Kim Sears and the rest of 'Team Murray'.

Coming the day after Great Britain's greatest day in Olympic history, Murray hailed last night's exploits by Team GB on the track for inspiring him to victory to the biggest win of his career.

'It's number one for me,' he said. 'The biggest win of my life. This week's been incredible so far.

'I've had a lot of fun, the support's been amazing. One more match to go, but it's been unbelievable.'

But sadly he could not clinch a second gold of the day after he and mixed doubles partner Laura Robson lost in their final against Belarus.

They won the first set but Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi stormed back to take the second set and then the Champions tie-break to secure gold.

After his singles win, Murray said he was inspired both by the performances of his Great Britain team-mates and the crowd, who were unusually boisterous for SW19.

'They're unbelievable,' he said. 'It's not just here but all of the events I've watched. I watched the athletics last night it was amazing.

The way Mo Farah won... I do 400m repetitions in my training and when I'm completely fresh I can run it in 57 seconds and his last lap after 9,600m was 53 seconds. It's just unbelievable fitness.

'It gave me a boost coming into today. The momentum the team's had the last couple of days has been so good.'

Of the crowd, he added: 'They helped me get a few extra miles an hour the last couple of serves. I went for some big serves and I got them. The whole week has been amazing.

Read More HERE
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by semid4lyfe(m): 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
See the pics:

Flying the flag: Murray, draped in the Union Jack, proudly shows off his Olympic gold medal

Golden boy: Andy Murray's face is etched with unbridled joy as he clinches Olympic gold against Roger Federer

Winner: Murray slumped to his haunches as he contemplates his achievement

Net gains: Murray looks to he heavens after beating Federer 6-2, 6-1, 6-4

Jumping for joy: The celebrations begin for Andy Murray

Medal men: Murray shows off his gold with Roger Federer and Juan del Potro, who beat Novak Djokovic to claim bronze

British backing: There was plenty of home support on Wimbledon's Centre Court

Joint effort: The Scot goes up into the stands to share his moment of joy with his girlfriend Kim Sears and his coaching team

A cuddle for Kim: Andy embraces Kim as he celebrates victory

Kim Sears looks delighted to be taking home an Olympic champion this evening as she shows off her enviable style with an ombre dip-dye blow-dry and a Whistles printed dress

Number one fan: Kim Sears watched on as Murray clinched the Olympic title at Wimbledon

Proudly draped in the Union flag, it was tears of joy rather than pain for Andy Murray and his fans four weeks on from his Wimbledon final defeat as he exacted sweet revenge on Switzerland's Roger Federer

Congratulations: Defeated finalist Roger Federer congratulates his opponent
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by justwise(m): 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
Andy you made my day, what a way of getting back at Roger!!
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by ebamma(m): 8:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
roger federer is both a great champion and a good loser.imagine a guy smiling after losing,thats great sportmanship

6 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by semid4lyfe(m): 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
Make Murray no go dey believe o.

If Federer catch am for Grand slam, hin go still chop am grin

2 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by emsquare(m): 8:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
justwise: Andy you made my day, what a way of getting back at Roger!!

True!
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by JimOvia: 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
Murray can never beat Roger federer fair and square joooor. Andy Murray has never won a grand slam. And roger federer is also world number 1. In short, Roger was rogered.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
Without meaning to take anything away from Andy, I have a funny feeling Federer deliberately 'allowed' him win. . .in a graceful, sportsmanly display of large-heartedness - in the aftermath of the Wimbledon episode. Lol, silly but not implausible.

11 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Afam4eva(m): 8:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
semid4lyfe: Make Murray no go dey believe o.

If Federer catch am for Grand slam, hin go still chop am grin
My thoughts exactly. In a way I feel Federer just dashed him the olympics because that Murray guy don suffer. When the next grand slam comes, he will know that khaki and leather are not the same.

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by ArQueBusieR(m): 8:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
At last! I'm delighted for Murray.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by justwise(m): 8:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
JimOvia: Murray can never beat Roger federer fair and square joooor. Andy Murray has never won a grand slam. And roger federer is also world number 1. In short, Roger was rogered.

Roger has never won Gold medal, this is not the first time Andy is beating Roger

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by justwise(m): 8:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva:
My thoughts exactly. In a way I feel Federer just dashed him the olympics because that Murray guy don suffer. When the next grand slam comes, he will know that khaki and leather are not the same.

Dash wetin? He was beaten simply its a clear and clean beaten and Roger knows that every player has his or her days, its Andy's day and he should be given credit for that.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by 234GT(m): 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
I am really happy for Andy Murray. He lost the winbledon finals but this is surely a sweet victory for him.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Labyboy(m): 8:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
justwise:

Roger has never won Gold medal, this is not the first time Andy is beating Roger

Gold medal na gold-medal cos Roger already won a gold medal in the mix double of the Beijing 2008 olympics..

$$so he now has Gold and silver in it..
What else can he ask for than to retire peacefully now..
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
justwise:

Dash wetin? He was beaten simply its a clear and clean beaten and Roger knows that every player has his or her days, its Andy's day and he should be given credit for that.
Andy Murray cannot beat Federer by that margin except if Federer gives him the opportunity to do so. It does not in any way take anything away from Murray.

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by chucky234(m): 8:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
I can smell British ojoro,may Roger catch murray for clay court him go smell pepper.
Congrats sha
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by justwise(m): 8:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
234GT: I am really happy for Andy Murray. He lost the winbledon finals but this is surely a sweet victory for him.

This is victory that comes only once in 4yrs, Roger may not have the opportunity again as he is getting old now but Andy is still young and playing the best game of his life now.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by semid4lyfe(m): 8:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
Typical British press. . .now he's a Briton, when dem cain in yansh, hin be Scottish. grin

Like sey we no know sey na arrangee game dem play tongue

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by justwise(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva:
Andy Murray cannot beat Federer by that margin except if Federer gives him the opportunity to do so. It does not in any way take anything away from Murray.

So Novak Djokovic who was beaten by Andy days before meeting Roger gave Andy the opportunity as well? Novak Djokovic was world number one just couple of months ago. There is nothing like Roger giving Andy an opportunity, he was beaten simple.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by alaoeri: 9:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
It had better be olympic this can't happen for grand slam.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by toluxe0075: 9:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
Do u want federer to make him cry the 2nd time? Of course he had to save him dis tym cos it is an olympic medal n not a grand slam federal already have a gold even though itz not men singles, do u think nadal would of pull out of the olympic tournament if it was a grand slam?
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Biggyd2: 9:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
It is not the Roger that I know that I saw today. Well grand slam dey sha.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by maximum007(m): 9:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
Congratulations Andy Murray at last you were able to do it. I wonder how e for look like if to say Roger Federer win you in front of your peeps the second time this year.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by pomporiking: 9:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Imo..dey shud investigate for match fixing..murray is not that talented to beat djokovic and federer in the same tournament.buh congrats anyways
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by samsanyus(m): 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
Arrangee game, we no fit carry bucket for tears again.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by bodejohn(m): 10:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
I was totally convinced within the third set that Murray wasn't playing the RF that I know, it was just too obvious. Any day, Nadal is my man...the king of clay.
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 06, 2012
See as we dey talk about other participant yet we carry people the same game undecidedSee as we dey talk about other participant yet we carry people the same game
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Murphy7h4: 1:06am On Aug 06, 2012
Much appreciated
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by kengis: 1:26am On Aug 06, 2012
Federer was probably paid to lose this game
He wasn't even playing ,arranged game !
Shame on all these fakers !
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by ifysoft: 2:08am On Aug 06, 2012
I strongly feel Roger Federer gave the match to Murray because Federer didnt give up to 40% real play in the match.. If only you guys saw how Murray wept after Wimbledon final.. I am sure any reasonable person with a good heart as Federer will gladly give the match to Murray like he did today... Oya.. Murray weep no more...
Re: Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold by Nobody: 4:54am On Aug 06, 2012
When Andy cried in the wimbledon championship, those tears of his touched Roger, everyone saw and felt that. Roger let him have this one cos when he made his speech @ wimbledon he said that he prays for Andy to get a win as he and others have.

Na dash roger dash am. It would have been rude if Roger had killed this one. I like Andy but come onnn, this was given to him

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arsenal Focus Now On Europa League, Says Emery, After Top 4 Hopes Fade / Are Left Footed Players Technically More Gifted Than Right Footed Players??? / Lance Armstrong Admits To Using Performance Enhancing Drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.