Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads (9161 Views)

Man Demands The Arrest Of Jonathan At The National Assembly Over The Arms Deal / Protesters Block Lagos Assembly Over Abnormal Electricity Tariff (photo) / House of Representatives Adopt Motion Over Removal Of Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Sunofgod(m): 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
Hundreds of beggars on Monday staged a peaceful protest to the Lagos State House Assembly over their removal from the streets in the state.

The President of the Association of Physically Challenged, Alhaji Jubril Hassan, said the government was wrong to have asked beggars off the streets where they were enjoying their social rights, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
Hassan also said it was illegal to deny them their fundamental freedom of movement.
“We adopted this medium to express our displeasure and unhappiness with the actions taken and the one to be taken by the Lagos State Government.

“Our movement within Lagos metropolis has been restricted such that anyone caught roaming the street is taken to Majidun prison (rehabilitation centre),” he said.

Hassan explained that in most cases, all their belongings had been seized, while they were also maltreated by the management of the camp.

“The condition of the camp is appalling and devastating, it causes more harm to our health.
“It has come to our notice that very soon anybody found giving us alms will be apprehended and imprisoned for two years,” he said.

He, therefore, appealed to the government to rescind its decision of denying the beggars the right to move freely within the state.

According to him, the policy will further aggravate their suffering, instead of alleviating it.
He called on the media, the NGOs and human rights activists to come to their aid.

The secretary of the association, Zakariwai Hassan, claimed that over 600 beggars had been arrested by the government without providing adequate alternative for them.
Hassan urged the state government to look into their plight and allow them to continue with their daily activities in the state.

The protesters were received by Mr Babatunde Panox, Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Security as the assemblymen were on recess.

He advised them not to take the law into their hands, promising that the government would find solutions to their problems.

“Your issue has been noted and I am assuring you that the government will find a solution to it urgently,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/business/beggars-storm-lagos-assembly-over-removal-from-roads/

3 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Afam4eva(m): 1:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
This democracy sef get as e be. It gives anybody the audacity ton protest for doing the wrong thing. Don't these beggars know that they have become a nuisance to the roads in lagos. Very soon, rap*ists will storm the national assembly to know why they've not had enough ladies to r*ape.

5 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Korrection(m): 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
Na wao...if these guys can stage a protest then they can do something with their hands other than begging.....nothing wey we no go see for this fast seperating cpountry

9 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by soma042(m): 1:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
fasho fasho fashola, hw many time did called u mmmhh "too much of evry thing is bad" dats all i have to say.

1 Like

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by olu4life(m): 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
Na wa o. Orisirisi. Na every nonsense don get associatn for naija. Se me no go form my own sha. Nonsense and ingredients. Shioor
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
So "Association of Physically Challenged" is now an association of beggars? Are all physically challenged people now beggars? Why don't they go represent Nigeria at the paralympics?

2 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Acidosis(m): 1:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
I dont blame them. . I blame democracy. "Anything goes" afterall. "eko gba ole, o gba ole"
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by 27naira(m): 1:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
wow!
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by gramci: 2:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
These aboki's should go back to the North where begging (zakat) is a way of life.

4 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by tinkinjo: 2:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
Korrection: Na wao...if these guys can stage a protest then they can do something with their hands other than begging.....nothing wey we no go see for this fast seperating cpountry

Supported...but wait a minute, 90% of the beggars on the streets of Lagos aren't physically challenge. Most of them I'm told were actually born to beg...and you know were they come from - their chairman's name can help you out.

3 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by sherrylo: 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
Anyway i remeber "begger's strike"
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Butoneday2(m): 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
Very lazy set of people? How much is a bag of pure water, why begging for christ sake. There're a lot of petty petty business dey can do rather than begging and looming all d streets of lagos. I urge fashola to come to Ojodu berger and arrest those ones dia too. They're causing a heavy traffick dia. I arrest my case.

1 Like

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by miteolu(m): 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
These beggars can mix up with Boko Haram. One must be security conscious
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Sunbellar: 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
gramci: These aboki's should go back to the North where begging (zakat) is a way of life.
Wonders shall never cease.
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Timileyin(m): 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
nonsense, ride on Governor... i dont know how begging on the streets became there right/
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Korrection(m): 2:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
carry out your investigation and youll find out that they have 9 to 10 children...with so many cattles in the north...what a life
But_one_day: Very lazy set of people? How much is a bag of pure water, why begging for christ sake. There're a lot of petty petty business dey can do rather than begging and looming all d streets of lagos. I urge fashola to come to Ojodu berger and arrest those ones dia too. They're causing a heavy traffick dia. I arrest my case.
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by tadysmart(m): 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
tinkinjo:

Supported...but wait a minute, 90% of the beggars on the streets of Lagos aren't physically challenge. Most of them I'm told were actually born to beg...and you know were they come from - their chairman's name can help you out.

Hehehehehe this remind me of a joke a came across on facebook sometyms ago.
It says,a lady saw a begger and said begger you look familiar. Begger replied we are friend on facebook.
Incredible things continue to happen in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by mkoabiola: 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
No no no! I can't blv ds? Does it mean beggars av association?very soon armrobbers will also form association,dey also will b protesting for been arrested n killed.wonders shall nva end!
BEAUTIFUL NONSENSE!nja my country I hail dee
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by PHIPEX(m): 2:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
Fashola has just given those Boko Malams another thing to demand for. Don't be surprised if you see this headline soon "Boko Haram demands the recall of street beggers", Nice job Fashola.

1 Like

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Flexskillz(m): 2:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
Wonders shall never end, so begging na business again? see these people o. Beggin and freedom of movement na the same thing? Really dunno what to say....
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Tobidollar: 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
sherry lo: Anyway i remeber "begger's strike"
lolz... That poem/novel?
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by UNLEASHED(m): 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
President of the Association of Physically Challenged? LMAO! Sounds professional.
From that picture posted by gramci, they all walk perfectly and if they're partially sighted, at least that can still see. If they can successfully find their way to the Lagos state house assembly. Then there's nothing wrong with them and they should be transported back to wherever they came from. Lazy creatures. Omg they even have secretary. Lol

1 Like

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by inspirenet: 2:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
Korrection: Na wao...if these guys can stage a protest then they can do something with their hands other than begging.....nothing wey we no go see for this fast seperating cpountry

lol
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
There are still many of them scattered all over lagos! Its really a shame to see these beggars with their children begging for alms. Lagos state government can assist them finacially instead of sending them back to their states of origin.
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by chelseabmw(m): 2:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by frgy1: 2:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
" Wonders shall never end " must be the best way for Nigerians to express surprise/shock.
Lol
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by SisiKill1: 2:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
Guess the old saying was wrong. . . Beggars CAN be choosers.

It is officially Debunking Day.

What's next. . .?
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Babasessy(m): 2:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
I thought they say 'A beggar has no choice' Thank God it's a peaceful protest anyway.
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Baawaa(m): 2:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
It is very simple,they should be deported back to the north.Do you know the worst thing During the census time they will load themselves back to the north,after the census they will follow all these trailers that load cows back.And as a matter of fact,we are the ones encouraging them by giving them money.It is very good to be a giver,but we must do it wisely.

2 Likes

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by KDULAR: 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
Who in .......( public domain)name approved the registration of the association, who are the trustees of the Association. All involved requires sanity assessment shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by asha80(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
berem: There are still many of them scattered all over lagos! Its really a shame to see these beggars with their children begging for alms. Lagos state government can assist them finacially instead of sending them back to their states of origin.
youi must be joking.assist them financially for what?

1 Like

Re: Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads by Okijajuju1(m): 2:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
Sun of god: Hundreds of beggars on Monday staged a peaceful protest to the Lagos State House Assembly over their removal from the streets in the state.

The President of the Association of Physically Challenged, Alhaji Jubril Hassan, said the government was wrong to have asked beggars off the streets where they were enjoying their social rights, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
Hassan also said it was illegal to deny them their fundamental freedom of movement.
“We adopted this medium to express our displeasure and unhappiness with the actions taken and the one to be taken by the Lagos State Government.

“Our movement within Lagos metropolis has been restricted such that anyone caught roaming the street is taken to Majidun prison (rehabilitation centre),” he said.

Hassan explained that in most cases, all their belongings had been seized, while they were also maltreated by the management of the camp.

“The condition of the camp is appalling and devastating, it causes more harm to our health.
“It has come to our notice that very soon anybody found giving us alms will be apprehended and imprisoned for two years,” he said.

He, therefore, appealed to the government to rescind its decision of denying the beggars the right to move freely within the state.

According to him, the policy will further aggravate their suffering, instead of alleviating it.
He called on the media, the NGOs and human rights activists to come to their aid.

The secretary of the association, Zakariwai Hassan, claimed that over 600 beggars had been arrested by the government without providing adequate alternative for them.
Hassan urged the state government to look into their plight and allow them to continue with their daily activities in the state.

The protesters were received by Mr Babatunde Panox, Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Security as the assemblymen were on recess.

He advised them not to take the law into their hands, promising that the government would find solutions to their problems.

“Your issue has been noted and I am assuring you that the government will find a solution to it urgently,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/business/beggars-storm-lagos-assembly-over-removal-from-roads/

Point of correction... Handicapped/disabled persons in Nigeria are free to move about freely and do their businesses, however, Loitering & Jay walking remains an offence under the Law..

Fashola never ceases to impress me.. Rivers State should follow suit.. Time to get these Almajiris/fulanis off our streets..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Ogun State Generates N15B In 10 Months For The Year 2014 / Power Outage Will Be Experienced In Some Parts Of Lagos Today- Eko DISCO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.