Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? (10276 Views)

Finally! A Bicycle With Seat Belts And Airbags! / Vehicle Owners With Defective Airbags Urged To Take Immediate Action / Seatbelts, Airbags And You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Emperoh(m): 1:10pm On Aug 07, 2012
I just didn't know how to caption this topic but somehow, it's something that has come to affect me
My parents were involved in a crash saturday evening and the two front Airbags gave way and actually did its
job else i do be signing an obituary by now.
I thank God for them!

Now, the car per assessment can be fixed back to a sound, 'driveable' condition
But old man wants his airbags refitted. I can't remember anywhere it's done in Nigeria much less Enugu
I also know how complicated airbags fixing can and how expensive it is when done in abroad.

The above has now become my reason for apprehension given the suggestions from the panel beater
and electrician to work on the car. According to them;

A new steering airbag will be installed (available at Ladipo) and the entire dashboard changed to accommodate a new
abirbag for the front passenger.

But i know there are sensors and i wouldn't know if this should be changed as well.

Now, Does anyone in house know the possibility of refitting a working airbag back into a car
that had the original deployed in a crash? What are the process and the risks one should look at?

I have asked that the car be sold and a smaller one sourced with working airbags but i
don't seem to be getting an upper hand in this arguments.
Experts in the house, over to you. I need ideas and suggestions.

NB: It is a 2006 Toyota Camry
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Osama10(m): 5:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
I think the best option would be to sell that car and get another one with the airbags intact.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by JW214: 7:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
If you are in Lagos/Ibadan, U can contact a guy(although I haven't met him before but I listen to his Auto talk on a radio station online called Splash fm on Mondays and Tues). His name is Tunde Onakoya, the guy is technically sound. His No is 08098738876 and his tweeter handle #auto_clinic

Am sure he will be willing to help.

3 Likes

Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
I think you're getting things the wrong way round, Emperoh. Deployed airbags CAN'T be refitted. I believe you mean replace the deployed units with ones that haven't deployed?

You'll need the steering wheel crash pad (the middle part) and a new dash / fascia. You'll also need both crash sensors. These are located either side of the chassis frames at the front, behind and below the headlamps. The ECM (located on the transmission tunnel, behind the centre console) may need to be replaced, unless the crash data stored can be erased.

Depending on the version, some coding may be required.

2 Likes

Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by obowunmi(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
Isn't this illegal?

1 Like

Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Emperoh(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ok guys, you guys echo my thoughts exactly.

I took a trip to Ladipo this afternoon to get prices for the replacement parts.
The initial idea was to get the steering wheel crash pad, and the a whole new dash.
The steering wheel pad was ok price wise but i couldn't pay 120k for a new dash.

I was 'advised' to refit the deployed bags back in on the passenger side and then changer the steering wheel pad.
and then, change the airbag 'engine' located just under the the steering wheel pad for drivers side, and under the pigeon hole for the passenger
also change the sensors as wheel, that it was going to work.

I took it with a pinch of salt but that's my best bet if i want to just get the car together.

Now, how plausible does this sound?
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Emperoh(m): 10:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
obowunmi: Isn't this illegal?

In Nigeria??
I haven't heard of anything or law to that effect even in Yankee or europe

Siena: I think you're getting things the wrong way round, Emperoh. Deployed airbags CAN'T be refitted. I believe you mean replace the deployed units with ones that haven't deployed?

You'll need the steering wheel crash pad (the middle part) and a new dash / fascia. You'll also need both crash sensors. These are located either side of the chassis frames at the front, behind and below the headlamps. The ECM (located on the transmission tunnel, behind the centre console) may need to be replaced, unless the crash data stored can be erased.

If you say it can't be refitted, and then go ahead to give me a process of what need be done,
what does it say? That it's unnecessary to refit it back given the cumbersome nature of the job? Or is this another way round it?
What do you make of the explanation the parts dealers gave me? It looks similar to yours just that they left somethings you included out
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by t3ky(m): 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
Bros read the car's manual.
just like siena said it can't be fitted back due to the fact that the tech involved to do so is not available in naija.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by ODB2: 2:11am On Aug 08, 2012
refitting an airbag in Nigeria? I laugh, thats like taking a private jet to an average roadside mechanic
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by SisiKill1: 2:18am On Aug 08, 2012
From the little I know about cars, I don't think it is safe to refit the airbags oh. . .got something to do with confusing the sensor (Hey. . .I already said I don't know much about cars tongue) but here goes

Instructions
1 Remove the negative cable from your car battery before replacing car air bags. Not removing the negative cable could deploy the replacement air bag, causing injury.

2 Deactivate the air bag by removing the air bag fuses. Look in your car owners manual to locate the fuses.

3) Unscrew steering column paneling and remove the airbag bolts on the back side of the steering wheel. Pull out the airbag until you see the back side and unplug the wires.

4) Plug the new airbag into the wires and rebolt it back onto the steering wheel. Replace the car steering column panels.

5) Replace passenger side air bags through the glove box or main dash panels. Remove the glove box by taking off the glove box straps and undoing the hinges. Unplug and unbolt the airbag, slide it out the front of the dash, slide the new air bag in and rewire and rebolt it.

6) Put the glove box or dash panels back together. Reconnect the fuses in the fuse panel and the negative cable on the car battery and you're finished.

Read More Here and Here

FYI - Ehow.com is the best resource a Novice can ever have!!!
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by viperman: 2:30am On Aug 08, 2012
Your best bet is to just replace it.
Also, you dont need to replace the entire dashboard to replace the passenger side airbag.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by brainbox4u: 2:34am On Aug 08, 2012
The only way you will be sure the airbags will deploy in another mishap (God forbid) is if the crash sensors are positioned same area as before the crash and also like siena mentioned above the ecu is reset,how ever that might not be possible here unless there is some one around you that has a clean eeprom dump for exact same airbag ecu and is able to wipe out the crash data and load a fresh one.Another option is to use a good diagnostic system like the Toyota techstream,if all airbags are relpaced and sensors as well the toyota software might be able to reset it without the need to shoot in eeprom data to the chip directly.If all is well the airbag indicator light on the dash should light when you open ignition and off itself after few seconds.If it stays on then the system is not well and can not redeploy again until fixed properly.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Biggyd2: 2:36am On Aug 08, 2012
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by txswat: 4:23am On Aug 08, 2012
@ Emperoh replacing airbags is a very "sensitive" job. Understanding what's at stake I personally would not trust anyone but a Toyota dealership to get it done. I don't know the extent of the quality of auto-mechanics at Toyota dealerships in Nigeria but you need to be be very aware.
Also when you say "the car per assessment can be fixed back to a sound, 'driveable' condition"; is that assessment done by an insurance adjuster? Because to be quite honest if the required technology and workmanship necessary is not readily available how did they come to that conclusion? That assessment might be worth contending if you can prove that the Toyota dealerships/ auto-mechanics on ground are not equipped to deal with such issues. Replacing the airbag is the easy part. Making sure the sensors are properly fitted is the most crucial part of the repair. In the US most repair shops (NAPA, Firestone etc..) will still send the car to a Toyota dealership to certify the functionality of the repaired airbag. With all that being said please be careful and congrats on the safety of your parents!!!
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by txswat: 4:23am On Aug 08, 2012
@ Emperoh replacing airbags is a very "sensitive" job. Understanding what's at stake I personally would not trust anyone but a Toyota dealership to get it done. I don't know the extent of the quality of auto-mechanics at Toyota dealerships in Nigeria but you need to be be very aware.
Also when you say "the car per assessment can be fixed back to a sound, 'driveable' condition"; is that assessment done by an insurance adjuster? Because to be quite honest if the required technology and workmanship necessary is not readily available how did they come to that conclusion? That assessment might be worth contending if you can prove that the Toyota dealerships/ auto-mechanics on ground are not equipped to deal with such issues. Replacing the airbag is the easy part. Making sure the sensors are properly fitted is the most crucial part of the repair. In the US most repair shops (NAPA, Firestone etc..) will still send the car to a Toyota dealership to certify the functionality of the repaired airbag. With all that being said please be careful and congrats on the safety of your parents!!!
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by olenyi: 4:26am On Aug 08, 2012
@poster
Why not look for one of these major auto dealers, or auto body shops and inquire from them. Though am not dat vast in auto repairs but i tink i've heard of the HONDA PLACE for honda car's (dont know if the place is still operational ), COSCHARIS for land rover, range rover, BMW, etc, ANNAMCO for mercedes benz and so on. Ask around, maybe one of such for toyota cars might exist in nigeria. My 2 cents.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by olenyi: 4:40am On Aug 08, 2012
Also if it boils down to changing the dash and all dat, we live in a global village now. Why not try out ebay and orderbay.com. U might be suprised at the rock bottom prices u get for a whole lot of stuffs. Still my 2 cents.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by iyanda146: 5:01am On Aug 08, 2012
Come to ATBU Bauchi all your problems will be solved. 08036068157
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Jarus(m): 8:24am On Aug 08, 2012
Siena: I think you're getting things the wrong way round, Emperoh. Deployed airbags CAN'T be refitted. I believe you mean replace the deployed units with ones that haven't deployed?

This is too technical for me
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by sharks776(m): 8:52am On Aug 08, 2012
Dude, if you really want the air bags plus assurance of their working condition, just sale the car and buy another one whose air bags are still intact.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Lisa1: 9:00am On Aug 08, 2012
Much appreciated
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by fashizie(m): 9:10am On Aug 08, 2012
mshewwwww nigeria and thier fake forum stease
most folks here drive cars that aint even road worthy but come here to start talking like dey are even sure if thier air bags will deploy in a crash

dude convince ur folks to fix anyhow n sell.add up cash n buy exact ride if dey so luv dat model,i can understand the attachment expecially at ur dads age and if he has used it for a while.
but my advice will make more sense on the long run.
jst my 2 quid bro
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by hardywaltz(m): 9:15am On Aug 08, 2012
iyanda146: Come to ATBU Bauchi all your problems will be solved. 08036068157
Bauchi kee? Boko boyz Head qtrs abi? I can't remember the op saying his car was armored.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by bfire(m): 9:46am On Aug 08, 2012
@OP:

The guys at Ladipo got it right.

It has happened to my wife's Sienna (05) airbags before. The steering was replaced and the dash was not replaced. I had to argue with them for a while because the dash ought to have been changed and it would take me like 60 days to get the dash down to 9ja. My wife would have non of that.

The steering was replaced, dash reset, sensors replaced, airbags ECU was reset at Agidigbi, Ikeja.

The whole thing worked perfect. How did i know? My in-law crashed the van and all the airbags deployed. Well, we sold it - it's bad-luck van. Is it not?
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by Emperoh(m): 10:42am On Aug 08, 2012
bfire:

@OP:

The guys at Ladipo got it right.

It has happened to my wife's Sienna (05) airbags before. The steering was replaced and the dash was not replaced. I had to argue with them for a while because the dash ought to have been changed and it would take me like 60 days to get the dash down to 9ja. My wife would have non of that.

The steering was replaced, dash reset, sensors replaced, airbags ECU was reset at Agidigbi, Ikeja.

The whole thing worked perfect. How did i know? My in-law crashed the van and all the airbags deployed. Well, we sold it - it's bad-luck van. Is it not?

Very insightful!!
One questions, did you replace or fit back in, the one on the passenger end?

When did the airbag light on the dash board go off?
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by oiseworld: 12:23pm On Aug 08, 2012
Sisi_Kill: From the little I know about cars, I don't think it is safe to refit the airbags oh. . .got something to do with confusing the sensor (Hey. . .I already said I don't know much about cars tongue) but here goes

Instructions
1 Remove the negative cable from your car battery before replacing car air bags. Not removing the negative cable could deploy the replacement air bag, causing injury.

2 Deactivate the air bag by removing the air bag fuses. Look in your car owners manual to locate the fuses.

3) Unscrew steering column paneling and remove the airbag bolts on the back side of the steering wheel. Pull out the airbag until you see the back side and unplug the wires.

4) Plug the new airbag into the wires and rebolt it back onto the steering wheel. Replace the car steering column panels.

5) Replace passenger side air bags through the glove box or main dash panels. Remove the glove box by taking off the glove box straps and undoing the hinges. Unplug and unbolt the airbag, slide it out the front of the dash, slide the new air bag in and rewire and rebolt it.

6) Put the glove box or dash panels back together. Reconnect the fuses in the fuse panel and the negative cable on the car battery and you're finished.

Read More Here and Here

FYI - Ehow.com is the best resource a Novice can ever have!!!

i think if you check well, it can be done. The analysis above shows that. You could still ask google for more information.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by bfire(m): 10:17pm On Aug 08, 2012
Very insightful!!

The dash bag was re-fit not changed.

The airbag ECU was reset and the light goes off and comes back on again. Yet, the airbags all deployed on the second crash.

How they did it at Ladipo, beats me.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by bfire(m): 10:21pm On Aug 08, 2012
Emperoh:

Very insightful!!

The dash bag was re-fit not changed.

The airbag ECU was reset and the light goes off and comes back on again. Yet, the airbags all deployed on the second crash.

How they did it at Ladipo, beats me.
Re: Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? by sfiea: 6:32am On Aug 09, 2012
Those talking about selling the car, what about the lifes' of those buying the accident car without a functional airbag? Just me thinking aloud!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Most Nigerian (AC)Technicians & Mechanics are Quacks >:( / Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.