Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Weird Facts In The Book Of Job - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Weird Facts In The Book Of Job (8161 Views)

Facts in Koran Muslim, Jesus Is Your God, And He Is Your Only Way To Escape Hell / Scientific And Interesting Facts In The Holy Qur'an / The Story Of Job. An Example Of God's Wickedness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 08, 2012
Job curses the day he was born , saying that the day should not be marked on earth and should be left out of the year. - he must have been born on february 29th

God mentions fire breathing dragons, unicorns and mammoths towards the end of this book. They existed.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 1:02pm On Aug 08, 2012
jacobscros: Job curses the day he was born , saying that the day should not be marked on earth and should be left out of the year. - he must have been born on february 29th

God mentions fire breathing dragons, unicorns and mammoths towards the end of this book. They existed.

Glad you noticed.
Job also mentioned many of the ancient Greek gods found in Greek myths.
Now if the bible is truth, then job is truth, and if job is telling truth, then The Greek God Typhon and others mentioned by job must also be true.
Do you agree?
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 08, 2012
I HAVEN'T READ THOSE VERSES YET..
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Omexonomy: 4:47am On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton:

Glad you noticed.
Now if the bible is truth, then job is truth, and if job is telling truth, then The Greek God Typhon and others mentioned by job must also be true.
Do you agree?
Haba noting person no go read for nairaland for where u take see this ones from
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by MrAnony1(m): 8:04am On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton:

Glad you noticed.
Do you agree?
Please cite these verses that mention Greek gods.........especially Typhon.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Please cite these verses that mention Greek gods.........especially Typhon.

The book of Job is thought to be a plagerised verson of a poem from a greek tragedy.
Sure, I will. for starters lets start with 39:9-12 (uniorns are from greek myths)
try 38:31-32 (Orion, Plaiedes and Arcturus were prominent players of greek mythology.

Will be back with more. Its a big book
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 1:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
Origin and textual history

Liberal scholars date Job between the 6th and 4th century BC,[13] however, conservative scholars cite Eusebius (AD 263-399), who placed Job "two ages before Moses" or 2,000-1,500 BC.[14] While "there is an intentional editorial unity with a cohesive purpose and message in the canonical form of the book," Job contains many separate elements, some of which may have had an independent existence prior to being incorporated into the present text.[15] Scholars agree that the introductory and concluding sections of the book, the framing devices, were composed to set the central poem into a prose "folk-book", as the compilers of the Jewish Encyclopedia expressed it. The central poem is from another source[citation needed]. Among the Dead Sea Scrolls is the Targum of Job 11Q10[citation needed]. Another example of text from the last chapter or epilogue of Job can be found in the book The Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation, showing examples of how fragments of The Book of Job found among the scrolls differ from the text as now known.
--source- wikipaedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Job
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 2:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
Chapter 41:1-10 makes reference to The mythical sea creature leviathan and another makes reference to another mythical creature Behemoth.

Though many have pointed out the similarity between the Leviathan and the mythical Greek equivalent, Typhon.
My error, Which I admit, was in thinking both to be the same.

However, the essential fact remain that the book of job incorporates much of Greek, Egyptian and Mesopotamian mythology, so much so that many scholars hold the opinion that it is simply an abbreviated versions of a much older epic poem from these cultures.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by MrAnony1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton: Chapter 41:1-10 makes reference to The mythical sea creature leviathan and another makes reference to another mythical creature Behemoth.

Though many have pointed out the similarity between the Leviathan and the mythical Greek equivalent, Typhon.

However, the essential fact remain that the book of job incorporates much of Greek, Egyptian and Mesopotamian mythology, so much so that many scholars hold the opinion that it is simply an abbreviated versions of a much older epic poem from these cultures.

What you missed however is that the book of Job predates the Greek civilization. Traditionally, Job is believed to have lived centuries before Moses. So if anything, It is Greeks doing the plagiarizing as one cannot possibly copy from a text written after him.

Another thing I would like you to note is that it doesn't mention any Greek gods. It mentions Orion and Pleiades but definitely not as gods but as star constellations. It is the Greeks that will later come up with proper personalities for these terms
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by PastorAIO: 5:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton: Chapter 41:1-10 makes reference to The mythical sea creature leviathan and another makes reference to another mythical creature Behemoth.

Mr_Anony:

What you missed however is that the book of Job predates the Greek civilization. Traditionally, Job is believed to have lived centuries before Moses. So if anything, It is Greeks doing the plagiarizing as one cannot possibly copy from a text written after him.

Wonderful line of enquiry!! I also think that Job definitely preceded the 4th or 6th centuries. I would place it's origins around the time of Homer and, like homer, the story was about an earlier period than the period it was written.

And yes, there are many mythical monsters in Job that can be found in Greek mythology and other near eastern mythologies, but that is not where it stops. The stories referred to in Job can be found in myths much further afield including West Africa and Northern europe, India and further further. It is full of those Universal Myths. It is also full of myths that would challenged the contemporary readings of the book of Genesis. In fact it strikes right at the heart of all Literal readings of the book of Genesis.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2012
Pls dont defend book of job.its mythical and we know it.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Enigma(m): 7:27pm On Aug 09, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Another thing I would like you to note is that it doesn't mention any Greek gods. It mentions Orion and Pleiades but definitely not as gods but as star constellations. It is the Greeks that will later come up with proper personalities for these terms

Yep, the Book of Job did not talk of Orion, Pleiades, or for that matter Leviathan as "gods". smiley
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
Mr_Anony:

How did you arrive at the fact that it predates the Greek civilization? If as you say, the book of jobs predates the Greek, it would also mean that it predates Jacob, Isaac and Abraham.
In which case it would be of Summerian or Egyptian in origin. If so, these culture had pantheons of gods. Which god could have the subject of this epic poem?
Certainly not Jehovah.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton:

How did you arrive at the fact that it predates the Greek civilization? If as you say, the book of jobs predates the Greek, it would also mean that it predates Jacob, Isaac and Abraham
In which case it would be of Summerian or Egyptian in origin. If so, these culture had pantheons of gods. Which god could have the subject of this epic poem?
Certainly not Jehovah.

Per the bolded part, it probably does or it happened around the same time as Abraham (personally I think it was before Abraham maybe a little after the Flood). One certain thing is that it happened at a time that men still lived much longer than a hundred years (at least averaging two hundred years) considering that he lost his grown children in the unfolding of events that the entire story was founded on and, at the end of his period of pain, had more children whom he witnessed grow up and have children who also had children that he saw before he died.

Yes, sir, way back then, many cultures had replaced God in their thoughts with their own imaginations no doubt. But there were exceptions. In the time of Abraham, for instance, a whole nation called Gerar, the Philistine nation, was a nation that feared God. There was the nation, Salem, whose king, Melchizedek was a priest of the Most High. No doubt, pantheons of gods existed, but God did too, and Job was one of those that feared Him.

As for the "mythical" creatures, I wonder that we could so easily lose sight of the reality of species extinction. We see it all around us today. I won't argue about animals that breathe fire, but I'll say that we very certainly have far less in number of species than the world started out with. Therefore, it's incorrect to argue that the creatures mentioned there are mythical simply because they don't exist today. 500 years from now, much less even, people reading histories of today may wonder that there were ever in existence certain weird animals that we take for granted today.

Also, why "certainly not Jehovah"? Why can't the book of Job have been about Jehovah?
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by MrAnony1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
plaetton:

How did you arrive at the fact that it predates the Greek civilization? If as you say, the book of jobs predates the Greek, it would also mean that it predates Jacob, Isaac and Abraham.
Certainly not Jehovah.

Wow, how do you think?
First you find a book in Hebrew literature about Job who the Hebrews themselves believe to have lived in the Genesis era. prior to Moses and the Exodus (in fact many believe that the book of Job was written by Moses).

The book clearly refers to an Almighty God who the Hebrews have been worshiping before going to Egypt as slaves. The Hebrews don't believe that God suddenly appears with Moses but that God is everlasting and has been since Adam.
To ask which God was the subject of the book of Job, you may as well ask which God was being referred to in the story of Noah and Abraham e.t.c.

The problem I see here is that you want to force the book to be anything else but a Hebrew book.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Wow, how do you think?
First you find a book in Hebrew literature about Job who the Hebrews themselves believe to have lived in the Genesis era. prior to Moses and the Exodus (in fact many believe that the book of Job was written by Moses).

The book clearly refers to an Almighty God who the Hebrews have been worshiping before going to Egypt as slaves. The Hebrews don't believe that God suddenly appears with Moses but that God is everlasting and has been since Adam.
To ask which God was the subject of the book of Job, you may as well ask which God was being referred to in the story of Noah and Abraham e.t.c.

The problem I see here is that you want to force the book to be anything else but a Hebrew book.

Mr Anony sir, you are the one that wrote that the book of job predated the Greek civilisation, did you not?.
Now you are saying that it was probably written by Moses? So are you saying that Moses predated the greek civilization as well?

C'mon sir, it is very very common knowledge among historians, academics as well as theologians that genesis [/b]is an abbreviated version of much older, much larger and more detailed tales coming from Mesopotamia, chiefly Summer via Babylon.

The Hebrews copied these tales around 650BC when they were in captivity in Babylon and simply incorporated their chief deity .
Do you not know this?

This is why we talk about the incompatibilty of faith and reason. Even when the theologians of your religion agree to this, your [b]faith
just wont allow you to see through the mist.

"God Almighty " is a generic term employed by the translators of the bible to hide the embarrassing fact that the bible mentioned numerous gods and deities.More than 300 references to other gods.
Today's translations have compressed all biblical deities into one "god almighty".
So much for the infallible and incorruptible word of god, huh?
Please read the preface to your bible. This fact is made very simple and clear in the preface to any authentic bible.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 10:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Per the bolded part, it probably does or it happened around the same time as Abraham (personally I think it was before Abraham maybe a little after the Flood). One certain thing is that it happened at a time that men still lived much longer than a hundred years (at least averaging two hundred years) considering that he lost his grown children in the unfolding of events that the entire story was founded on and, at the end of his period of pain, had more children whom he witnessed grow up and have children who also had children that he saw before he died.

Yes, sir, way back then, many cultures had replaced God in their thoughts with their own imaginations no doubt. But there were exceptions. In the time of Abraham, for instance, a whole nation called Gerar, the Philistine nation, was a nation that feared God. There was the nation, Salem, whose king, Melchizedek was a priest of the Most High. No doubt, pantheons of gods existed, but God did too, and Job was one of those that feared Him.

As for the "mythical" creatures, I wonder that we could so easily lose sight of the reality of species extinction. We see it all around us today. I won't argue about animals that breathe fire, but I'll say that we very certainly have far less in number of species than the world started out with. Therefore, it's incorrect to argue that the creatures mentioned there are mythical simply because they don't exist today. 500 years from now, much less even, people reading histories of today may wonder that there were ever in existence certain weird animals that we take for granted today.

Also, why "certainly not Jehovah"? Why can't the book of Job have been about Jehovah?

With all due respect sir, you know not what you are writing about.
Are you saying that the philistines nation existed during the time of Abraham? where did you get this fact?
Where and when did " most high" translate to Jehovah?

All cultures and civilizations in that era were polythiestic. There was not a single monothiestic religion. So pl;s stop this irrationality.
Even Abraham's father [b]served other god[/b]s. have you not read this?

Yahweh was just one of many Gods of Cannaan.
In earlier summerian times he was probably known by another name or epithah.
This is exactly what he had indicated to Abraham, and later to moses.
Do you guys read your bible at all?
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by MrAnony1(m): 7:37am On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:

Mr Anony sir, you are the one that wrote that the book of job predated the Greek civilisation, did you not?.
Now you are saying that it was probably written by Moses? So are you saying that Moses predated the greek civilization as well?
My mistake, I was thinking about the Greek civilization as around the time shortly before Alexander the Great

C'mon sir, it is very very common knowledge among historians, academics as well as theologians that genesis [/b]is an abbreviated version of much older, much larger and more detailed tales coming from Mesopotamia, chiefly Summer via Babylon.
You may want to call some of these historians and theologians by name and cite some of their works

The Hebrews copied these tales around 650BC when they were in captivity in Babylon and simply incorporated their chief deity .
Do you not know this?
Really? I am not aware of this. Can you provide proof?

This is why we talk about the incompatibilty of faith and reason. Even when the theologians of your religion agree to this, your [b]faith
just wont allow you to see through the mist.
You may want to mention some of these theologians by name so that I can look them up

"God Almighty " is a generic term employed by the translators of the bible to hide the embarrassing fact that the bible mentioned numerous gods and deities.More than 300 references to other gods.
Today's translations have compressed all biblical deities into one "god almighty".
So much for the infallible and incorruptible word of god, huh?
Really? I wonder how "many gods" would constantly emphasize that God is one as well as be totally against all forms of polytheism. Anyway, I am interested in these "300 references" if you can provide us with a few of them.
Please read the preface to your bible. This fact is made very simple and clear in the preface to any authentic bible.
...... unfortunately, I can't take this comment seriously as you have just indirectly redefined an "authentic bible" as any bible that supports this claim of yours.
by the way, the preface of my bible does not contain this so called "fact"

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by MrAnony1(m): 8:14am On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:

With all due respect sir, you know not what you are writing about.
Are you saying that the philistines nation existed during the time of Abraham? where did you get this fact?
This how not to argue. What you are doing is similar to saying that the American red Indian tribes didn't exist before Columbus came to America. Philistines would still exist even if they were not called Philistines at the time of Abraham but just to shut you up, Here's a verse for you.

There was a famine in the land, besides the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Abimelech king of the Philistines, in Gerar.
Gen 26:1

....By the way, the point wasn't about whether they were called Philistines or not, the point was that they feared God in Gerar.

Where and when did " most high" translate to Jehovah?
You may want to tell us who else the bible refers to as Most High. Another verse for you

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High Gen 14:18-19

Perhaps you may want to tell me that they were worshiping two different God-Most-High(s)

All cultures and civilizations in that era were polythiestic. There was not a single monothiestic religion. So pl;s stop this irrationality.
Even Abraham's father served other god[/b]s. have you not read this?
This is an unfounded statement, you have been provided with two nations that are exceptions to that statement. Besides, I don't see how Terah (Abraham's father) worshiping many gods has anything to do with the claim that ALL NATIONS were polytheistic.

Yahweh was just one of many Gods of Cannaan.
Except of course that He just happens to be the Most High God who doesn't permit the worship of any other gods besides him.

In earlier summerian times he was probably known by another name or epithah.
This is exactly what he had indicated to Abraham, and later to moses.
Hold it a minute. Are you saying that God told Moses and Abraham that He was [b]probably
known by another name amongst many gods but now He wants to be known as God alone?
You may want to cite bible references for this.

Do you guys read your bible at all?
Apparently we do read our bibles and guess what? It doesn't agree with you.....unless of course you are about to show me some bible verses that support your rant. I am actually very interested in seeing the bible verses you'll come up with.

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 10, 2012
Mr_Anony:
This how not to argue. What you are doing is similar to saying that the American red Indian tribes didn't exist before Columbus came to America. Philistines would still exist even if they were not called Philistines at the time of Abraham but just to shut you up, Here's a verse for you.

There was a famine in the land, besides the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Abimelech king of the Philistines, in Gerar.
Gen 26:1

....By the way, the point wasn't about whether they were called Philistines or not, the point was that they feared God in Gerar.

You may want to tell us who else the bible refers to as Most High. Another verse for you

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High Gen 14:18-19

Perhaps you may want to tell me that they were worshiping two different God-Most-High(s)

This is an unfounded statement, you have been provided with two nations that are exceptions to that statement. Besides, I don't see how Terah (Abraham's father) worshiping many gods has anything to do with the claim that ALL NATIONS were polytheistic.

Except of course that He just happens to be the Most High God who doesn't permit the worship of any other gods besides him.

Hold it a minute. Are you saying that God told Moses and Abraham that He was probably known by another name amongst many gods but now He wants to be known as God alone?
You may want to cite bible references for this.

Apparently we do read our bibles and guess what? It doesn't agree with you.....unless of course you are about to show me some bible verses that support your rant. I am actually very interested in seeing the bible verses you'll come up with.

Word, bro. Can't stop laughing grin
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2012
Mr Anony, there is no denying that you are a man of faith. Fine for you. Your beleif in the bible is a matter of faith. Is it not?. Again fine for you.

Here is the big problem and the big folly of people of faith.
Do not come out in public and try to argue faith with reason. It does not work.
Right now, you ar enot only arguing with me , but you are against an entire academic and historical and theological estalishment.
Stop and take a breath and re-affirm your faith. That is all you have and that is all it is about.

You accept everything written in the bible, that is fine. No can take that from you. But to insist ,on a public domain, that they are true, consistent and of devine source is just folly, just to use a generous word.

Evolution vs. creationism. Bible topics & stories.

Comparing two creation stories: from
Genesis and Babylonian pagan sources

Creation stories from the ancient Middle East:

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre writes that one of his articles:

"... is an attempt to briefly identify some of the Ancient Near Eastern Motifs and Myths from which the Hebrews apparently borrowed, adapted, and reworked in the Book of Genesis (more specifically Genesis 1-11).

It is my understanding that Genesis' motifs and characters, God, Adam, Eve, the Serpent, and Noah, are adaptations and transformations of characters and events occurring in earlier Near Eastern Myths. In some cases several characters and motifs from different myths have been brought together and amalgamated into Genesis' stories. 2

He quotes W.G. Lambert:

"The authors of ancient cosmologies were essentially compilers. Their originality was expressed in new combinations of old themes, and in new twists to old ideas."

I believe Lambert's observation can be applied to the Hebrews who were combining old themes and putting "new twists" to old ideas. My research indicates that, at times, "reversals" are occurring in the Hebrew transformation and re-interpretation of the Mesopotamian myths. These "reversals," as I call them, can take the form of different characters, different locations for the settings of the stories, and different morals being drawn about the nature of God and Man's relationship.

De la Torre concludes that Genesis 1-11:

"... appears to be a reformatting of motifs and characters from four Mesopotamian myths:

Adapa and the South Wind,

Atrahasis,

the Epic of Gilgamesh and

the Enuma Elish."
Of these four sources, Enuma Elish has the closest parallels with the first creation story in Genesis.

Wikipedia comments that the ancient Hebrews did not simply adopt the Babylonian myths; they sometimes inverted them in order to fit into their worldview. Two examples are: 3

In the Babylonian myth, the serpent, Ningishzida, is a friend to Adapa who helps him in his search for immortality.

In Genesis, the serpent is the enemy of Adam, trying to trick him out of the chance to understand good and evil by developing a moral sense and thus becoming fully human.

The gods of the Babylonians became the ancient Israelites' god.
Also:

The Mesopotamians had adopted a worldview in which the Earth had gradually improved since creation.

The ancient Hebrews adopted a worldview in which the universe was created perfect but degenerated to the point where God had to initiate the largest genocide in history -- killing every person from newborn to the elderly in the flood of Noah.

Comparison of Genesis' first Creation Story with Enuma Elish, a Babylonian creation story

The Babylonian creation story is called by its first two words "Enuma Elish." According to archaeologists, it was originally written circa 1120 BCE. It was discovered in 1875 CE. It bears many points of similarity to the first creation story in the Bible: 1

Item Ancient Israelite Creation Story Babylonian Creation Story
Source Genesis 1:1 to 2:3 Enuma Elish
Date of writing (liberal belief) 8th or 9th century BCE Late 12th century BCE
Date of writing (conservative belief) 13th century BCE, the time of Moses Late 12th century BCE.
Author (liberal belief) "P," authors of the Priestly tradition. Unknown.
Author (conservative belief) Moses. Unknown.
Creator(s) of the universe A single God, YHVH. A God battling a Goddess.
Initial state of the earth Desolate waste; covered in darkness. Chaos; enveloped in darkness.
First development Light created. Light created.
Next development Firmament created - a rigid dome over the earth separating the earth and heaven. Firmament created; also perceived as a rigid dome.
Next development Dry land created. Dry land created.
Next development Sun, moon, stars created. Sun, moon, stars created.
Next development Creation of men and women. Creation of men and women.
Final development God rests and sanctify the Sabbath. Gods rest and celebrate.
The many points of similarity between the two traditions is conclusive proof that one story was derived from the other (or that both were derived from a still older original).

According to liberal theologians, the Babylonian account of creation was written in the 12th century BCE, centuries earlier than the Biblical account. According to conservative Christian theologians, the opposite happened: the Babylonian account was written after the Biblical account.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 1:43pm On Aug 10, 2012
http://www.cresourcei.org/enumaelish.html

The link below is for an darticle written by cardinal Ratzinger, the present pope. It is too large to copy and past here.

Please read.
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p81.htm
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by cyrexx: 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2012
"Reason is the Devil's greatest LovePeddler; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious LovePeddler; she is a prost.itute, the Devil's appointed LovePeddler; LovePeddler eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets."
— Martin Luther, Erlangen Edition v. 16, pp. 142-148

"For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?"
— The Apostle Paul, Romans 3:7 (KJV)

"Science shares with religion the claim that it answers deep questions about origins, the nature of life, and the cosmos. But there the resemblance ends. Scientific beliefs are supported by evidence, and they get results. Myths and faiths are not and do not."
— Richard Dawkins, River out of Eden
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 2:32pm On Aug 10, 2012
Mr_Anony:
My mistake, I was thinking about the Greek civilization as around the time shortly before Alexander the Great

You may want to call some of these historians and theologians by name and cite some of their works

Really? I am not aware of this. Can you provide proof?

You may want to mention some of these theologians by name so that I can look them up

Really? I wonder how "many gods" would constantly emphasize that God is one as well as be totally against all forms of polytheism. Anyway, I am interested in these "300 references" if you can provide us with a few of them.

...... unfortunately, I can't take this comment seriously as you have just indirectly redefined an "authentic bible" as any bible that supports this claim of yours.
by the way, the preface of my bible does not contain this so called "fact"

It is not my responsiblity to educate you about the history of your religion.

Yes, the more than 300 references to other gods in the bible can no longer be found because, the human editors [/b]of the [b]infallible and perfect word of god found them too embarrassing, so they simply edited them out by using the words "God", the "lord", "Lord almighty". Like I said, if you read the preface to your bible, these things are explained in simple language.

The Summerian cuiniform tablets and their translations are available for all to study. There are no ambiguities or controveresies about what they say or that they predate the old testament chronicles by thousands of years.
Creation of man, tower of babylon, Noah's flood, its all there in summerian tablets.

The ancient hebrews, while in Babylon, simply copied and transposed their own chief god, and viola! we have the bible.
Even the pope, the bonafide head of your faith, tacitly agrees with this in the arcticle to which I posted links.

N:B
What do you think of psalms 82?

Let me help you.

1. God presides in the great assembly;
he renders judgment among the “gods”:
(NIV version)

2. God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods
(NKJV)

3. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
(New Revised Standard)

4.Psalm 82 (Greek numbering: Psalm 81) is the 82nd psalm in the biblical Book of Psalms. God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; in the middle of the gods he judges.
(wikipaedia)

From all the above, what picture do you get?.

1.That the there has been a deliberate effort to mistranslate and obfuscate the central message of psalms 82.
2. That Yahweh, as is evident in the bible, was just one of many deities of the ancient Canaan and the later, the hebrews.
3. That from time to time, just like the Egyptian, Summerian and Babylonian pantheons, The gods sat in council to judge one another and pronounce binding judgements.

If this escapes you, then dont hold me responsible to educate you and show you proof.
Proof ni, proof ko.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:
Here is the big problem and the big folly of people of faith.
Do not come out in public and try to argue faith with reason. It does not work.
Right now, you ar enot only arguing with me , but you are against an entire academic and historical and theological estalishment.
Stop and take a breath and re-affirm your faith. That is all you have and that is all it is about.

You accept everything written in the bible, that is fine. No can take that from you. But to insist ,on a public domain, that they are true, consistent and of devine source is just folly, just to use a generous word.

Evolution vs. creationism. Bible topics & stories.

Comparing two creation stories: from
Genesis and Babylonian pagan sources

Creation stories from the ancient Middle East:

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre writes that one of his articles:

"... is an attempt to briefly identify some of the Ancient Near Eastern Motifs and Myths from which the Hebrews apparently borrowed, adapted, and reworked in the Book of Genesis (more specifically Genesis 1-11).

It is my understanding that Genesis' motifs and characters, God, Adam, Eve, the Serpent, and Noah, are adaptations and transformations of characters and events occurring in earlier Near Eastern Myths. In some cases several characters and motifs from different myths have been brought together and amalgamated into Genesis' stories. 2

He quotes W.G. Lambert:

"The authors of ancient cosmologies were essentially compilers. Their originality was expressed in new combinations of old themes, and in new twists to old ideas."

I believe Lambert's observation can be applied to the Hebrews who were combining old themes and putting "new twists" to old ideas. My research indicates that, at times, "reversals" are occurring in the Hebrew transformation and re-interpretation of the Mesopotamian myths. These "reversals," as I call them, can take the form of different characters, different locations for the settings of the stories, and different morals being drawn about the nature of God and Man's relationship.

De la Torre concludes that Genesis 1-11:

"... appears to be a reformatting of motifs and characters from four Mesopotamian myths:

Adapa and the South Wind,

Atrahasis,

the Epic of Gilgamesh and

the Enuma Elish."
Of these four sources, Enuma Elish has the closest parallels with the first creation story in Genesis.

Wikipedia comments that the ancient Hebrews did not simply adopt the Babylonian myths; they sometimes inverted them in order to fit into their worldview. Two examples are: 3

In the Babylonian myth, the serpent, Ningishzida, is a friend to Adapa who helps him in his search for immortality.

In Genesis, the serpent is the enemy of Adam, trying to trick him out of the chance to understand good and evil by developing a moral sense and thus becoming fully human.

The gods of the Babylonians became the ancient Israelites' god.
Also:

The Mesopotamians had adopted a worldview in which the Earth had gradually improved since creation.

The ancient Hebrews adopted a worldview in which the universe was created perfect but degenerated to the point where God had to initiate the largest genocide in history -- killing every person from newborn to the elderly in the flood of Noah.

Comparison of Genesis' first Creation Story with Enuma Elish, a Babylonian creation story

The Babylonian creation story is called by its first two words "Enuma Elish." According to archaeologists, it was originally written circa 1120 BCE. It was discovered in 1875 CE. It bears many points of similarity to the first creation story in the Bible

The first thing that I disagree with here is the dichotomy of faith and reason. Nowhere does the Bible demand that a man must trade in his reason for faith. In fact, we are instructed and warned to test or prove everything, whether doctrine or spirit or concept (1 Thessalonians 5:21, 1 John 4:1). Either word implies a need for intelligent comparison. Then we are told that the Salvation of Jesus Christ extended to our intelligence as well (Rom 12:2, 1 Cor 2:16). Faith never excludes reason, at least not in Christianity.

The next thing that I disagree with is your claim that, in part or whole, the Bible is a collection of myths tailored to suit Hebrew idiosyncracies and founding this claim on surmises made by the people you quoted. I am sorry, but I saw nothing in all that than guesswork based on similarities between literature from different cultures. But even at that, myths are easily debunked by throwing the test of reality at them.

For instance, if the Bible holds a degeneration from Creation till the Flood, and it promises another global destruction for the same reason, is a degeneration on the order of that which led to the Flood observable today?

If it is, the Flood was no myth. If it isn't, the Flood was a myth.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by ijawkid(m): 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:

Yes, the more than 300 references to other gods in the bible can no longer be found because, the human editors [/b]of the [b]infallible and perfect word of god found them too embarrassing, so they simply edited them out by using the words "God", the "lord", "Lord almighty". Like I said, if you read the preface to your bible, these things are explained in simple language.

The Summerian cuiniform tablets and their translations are available for all to study. There are no ambiguities or controveresies about what they say or that they predate the old testament chronicles by thousands of years.
Creation of man, tower of babylon, Noah's flood, its all there in summerian tablets.

The ancient hebrews, while in Babylon, simply copied and transposed their own chief god, and viola! we have the bible.
Even the pope, the bonafide head of your faith, tacitly agrees with this in the arcticle to which I posted links.

Let me help you.

(NIV version)

He judges among the gods
(NKJV)

3. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
(New Revised Standard)

4.Psalm 82 (Greek numbering: Psalm 81) is the 82nd psalm in the biblical Book of Psalms. God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; in the middle of the gods he judges.
(wikipaedia)

1.That the there has been a deliberate effort to mistranslate and obfuscate the central message of psalms 82.
2. That Yahweh, as is evident in the bible, was just one of many deities of the ancient Canaan and the later, the hebrews.
3. That from time to time, just like the Egyptian, Summerian and Babylonian pantheons, The gods sat in council to judge one another and pronounce binding judgements.

If this escapes you, then dont hold me responsible to educate you and show you proof.
Proof ni, proof ko.

The psalms 82:1 u quoted aint referring to pagan GODS my bro...
ELOHIM is used of men,human judges in isreal..Jesus even quoted from this psalm @ john 10:34 $ 35..

they were GODS in their capacity as representatives of and spokesmen for YAHWEH..

Just as moses was similarly told that he was to serve as ""GOD"" to aeron and pharoah.. Read exodus 4:16 and exodus 7:1

Exodus 7:1..

##Douay-Rheims Bible
And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have
appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron
thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Exodus 4:16

##English Revised Version
And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people:
and it shall come to pass, that he shall be to
thee a mouth, and thou shalt be to him as God....

My point??

That verse wasn't and isn't reffering to some pagan GODs in which Yahweh was there supreme judge,rather it was pointing to isrealite judges and Yahwehs representatives....

YAHWEH is the supreme GOD over all GODS...he is the GOD OF all GODS.....

Wether in heaven or on earth....

He doesn't need to sit down with some cheap idols to render judgement or discuss issues...

There was no mistranslation of that verse...it is what it is....!!!!
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:

Well, when you take it upon yourself to discredit this "religion" because of your superior knowledge and understanding of it, you are burdened as well with the responsibility to prove that your knowledge is indeed superior.

Yes, the more than 300 references to other gods in the bible can no longer be found because, the human editors of the infallible and perfect word of god found them too embarrassing, so they simply edited them out by using the words "God", the "lord", "Lord almighty". Like I said, if you read the preface to your bible, these things are explained in simple language.

First bolded. Where is the proof that they did so? How do you know it to be true?
Second bolded. I have three Bibles, one the New International Version, another the King James Version, and the third the Amplified Bible. I have access to the New Living Translation too. In none of their prefaces have I read such a thing. You could quote one preface so that we can see if it is a misunderstanding on our part.

First bolded. Says who? Why should we believe they indeed predate the Old Testament accounts? Also, what if (and I'm not saying at all that he did) Moses copied from more ancient documents to preserve the information? Then again, why can it not be the Sumerians who took the true history and transposed their own gods or expunged Yahweh?

Let me help you.

(NIV version)

He judges among the gods
(NKJV)

(New Revised Standard)

(wikipaedia)

That the Greatest of all Gods calls for a council of gods in order to thrash out issues and make conclusions.

How so?

How so?

How does that verse say anything like that?

Proof ni, proof ko.

You showed no proof. You took a portion of the Bible, isolated it from its context and put upon it all the meanings that suit your own idiosyncracies and demanded that we accept them to be true. That only calls for the question, "why should we believe your interpretations to be true and correct?"
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2012
cyrexx: Science shares with religion the claim that it answers deep questions about origins, the nature of life, and the cosmos. But there the resemblance ends. Scientific beliefs are supported by evidence, and they get results. Myths and faiths are not and do not."
— Richard Dawkins, River out of Eden[/color]

http://science.discovery.com/videos/through-the-wormhole-did-we-invent-god/
http://science.discovery.com/videos/through-the-wormhole-did-we-invent-god/
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 3:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
ijawkid:

The psalms 82:1 u quoted aint referring to pagan GODS my bro...
ELOHIM is used of men,human judges in isreal..Jesus even quoted from this psalm @ john 10:34 $ 35..

they were GODS in their capacity as representatives of and spokesmen for YAHWEH..

Just as moses was similarly told that he was to serve as ""GOD"" to aeron and pharoah.. Read exodus 4:16 and exodus 7:1

Exodus 7:1..

##Douay-Rheims Bible
And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have
appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron
thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Exodus 4:16

##English Revised Version
And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people:
and it shall come to pass, that he shall be to
thee a mouth, and thou shalt be to him as God....

My point??

That verse wasn't and isn't reffering to some pagan GODs in which Yahweh was there supreme judge,rather it was pointing to isrealite judges and Yahwehs representatives....

YAHWEH is the supreme GOD over all GODS...he is the GOD OF all GODS.....

Wether in heaven or on earth....

He doesn't need to sit down with some cheap idols to render judgement or discuss issues...

There was no mistranslation of that verse...it is what it is....!!!!

I am laughing and rolling on the floor.

Why do you people try to defend the indefencable?
I dont know how to reply you without seeming disrespectful.
But this is probably the silliest, the most desperate and fraudulent aattempt to defend what is clearly indefenceable.

So elohim now refers to men?
WTF?
In what language and In what translation?
So god sat with the assembly of Isrealite judges?
Complex Ignorance on parade.
Pls sir, desist from uttering such nonsense.

Listen, there are a lots of things you and I do not understand in the bible and in life. ok.
It is not a crime not to know something.ok
Do not try to defend what you do not know with juvenile logic.ok
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Well, when you take it upon yourself to discredit this "religion" because of your superior knowledge and understanding of it, you are burdened as well with the responsibility to prove that your knowledge is indeed superior.

First bolded. Where is the proof that they did so? How do you know it to be true?
Second bolded. I have three Bibles, one the New International Version, another the King James Version, and the third the Amplified Bible. I have access to the New Living Translation too. In none of their prefaces have I read such a thing. You could quote one preface so that we can see if it is a misunderstanding on our part.

First bolded. Says who? Why should we believe they indeed predate the Old Testament accounts? Also, what if (and I'm not saying at all that he did) Moses copied from more ancient documents to preserve the information? Then again, why can it not be the Sumerians who took the true history and transposed their own gods or expunged Yahweh?

That the Greatest of all Gods calls for a council of gods in order to thrash out issues and make conclusions.

How so?

How so?

How does that verse say anything like that?

You showed no proof. You took a portion of the Bible, isolated it from its context and put upon it all the meanings that suit your own idiosyncracies and demanded that we accept them to be true. That only calls for the question, "why should we believe your interpretations to be true and correct?"

Need I say much?
. You have said yourself. So you have three different editions of the infallible word of god.
Do you know what the word edit means?
Edition means a version, an improvement, an alteration, an amendment of something prior. does it not?

Need I say more?
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by plaetton: 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2012
Scientific dating and records show that they predate theh bible by thousands of years.
Go back to school. I learnt this fact in my class 2 history in secondary school.

Pls pls stop this irrationlity. Stop arguing from ignorance just to defend your faith.
You need not. Your faith is firmly yours.
I am not here to take it away from you.
Gosh!
I dont want to be forced to call you names.
Re: Weird Facts In The Book Of Job by ijawkid(m): 3:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
plaetton:

I am laughing and rolling on the floor.

Why do you people try to defend the indefencable?
I dont know how to reply you without seeming disrespectful.
But this is probably the silliest, the most desperate and fraudulent aattempt to defend what is clearly indefenceable.

So elohim now refers to men?
WTF?
In what language and In what translation?
So god sat with the assembly of Isrealite judges?
Complex Ignorance on parade.
Pls sir, desist from uttering such nonsense.

Listen, there are a lots of things you and I do not understand in the bible and in life. ok.
It is not a crime not to know something.ok
Do not try to defend what you do not know with juvenile logic.ok

What's funny about what I wrote....??

That's what it is.......

Ur problem is u never use scriptures to interprete scriptures...

U can't just quote psalms 82:1,interprete d way it suits ur stand,and fail to compare it with other verses in d bible...

What is difficult to understand??

That the word ELOHIM refers to JUDges and Yahwehs representatives or what??

U gotta increase ur scriptural reasoning if u still want to....

Jesus himself quoted from that chapter of the psalms...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Am I Allowed To Fast When On My Period As A Christian / Saints And Sinners / 8 Real Photographs That Prove Hell Exists On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.